2.02 CD won't boot (Solved by burning new CD)

Booting, installing, newbie
jcoria

2.02 CD won't boot (Solved by burning new CD)

#1 Post by jcoria »

Hi everyone. I have been growing more and more tiresome of xp and wanted to try a new OS. At first, I looked heavily into trying out Xubuntu but now I am really getting stoked on Puppy. Yesterday, I finally downloaded Puppy 2.02 and burned the image to disk. I was excited to pop it in and finally give it a whirl but I ran into problems for the start. When it gets to "Copying pup_202.sfs to ramdisk" it starts giving me multiple "hdc:media error messages" and "Buffer I/O error on device hdc: logical block" and some number. I let this go on before a few minutes before stopping. I have been searching around the internet for other people with similar problems but havent had any luck. Im starting to think its just a hardware problem. Any insight would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh yes my computer is a HP Pavilion ze5170
512 MB RAM
A 2 Ghz P4 processor
A 40 GB HD (TOSHIBA MK4021GAS)
CD-RW/DVD combo drive (QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241)
No partitions, so I guess just the stock NTFS harddrive
And I was trying out Puppy 2.02.
Again thanks!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

There's nothing about your hardware that stands out as a possible explanation, and the fact that the CD booted as far as it did indicates you burned it as a bootable CD. It really looks like you got a coaster. Try burning it again, with a freshly downloaded iso if that's convenient, and use a CD-RW if you have one. That way you can experiment without wasting precious plastic. :lol:
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

raffy

cd

#3 Post by raffy »

Looks like your CD drive - see if the CD runs well in another PC. Or check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO. If the CD is OK, it must be your CD drive.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jcoria

Thanks!

#4 Post by jcoria »

Wow, I feel silly. I tried out the disc on a friends computer and had the same issues. I redownloaded it and burned it at a slower speed and sure enough, I had it running in minutes! Now the real fun begins! First task.. figure out if I can get it online with my wireless card. Thanks a lot!