QB64 - QuickBasic for Linux, Windows

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Packetteer

QB64 - QuickBasic for Linux, Windows

#1 Post by Packetteer »

Hi All
Here is a blast from the past.
QuickBasic still lives in the form of QB64.
The 64 in the name is confusing because QB64 is designed to run on
32 and 64 bit computers.
It runs in Linux, Windows XP, Vista , Windows 7 and Macs.

According to the QB64 web site it is 99% compatible with Qbasic
Qb45 (QuickBasic).
So all the keywords in QuickBasic are in QB64.
QB64 also has some new keywords that add new features to QuickBasic.

I have installed QB64 on my Lucid Puppy 582 machine.

Seeing the QuickBasic editor again after all these years brings
back such fond memories.

So if you are nostalgic about using QuickBasic again and
possibly having a language to make non Gui utility programs with
then please go to the following URLS.

Main Web Page
http://www.qb64.net/
Wiki page that explains how to install QB64 in Puppy Linux
http://qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=Pu ... stallation

Thank you for your time in reading this E-Mail.

John

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Looks cool. My, it's grown tho -- the XP download (my daily driver OS is still Windblows :oops: ) is nearly 80mb!

I've done some stuff in QBasic and used the QuickBasic 7.1 compiler on it... be fun to port it over to QB64... maybe.

Mostly what it was, was a little tiny text adventure that I kludged together out of if-then statements cuz I never learned how to make a parser :shock:

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Now if they came up with Visual Quick Basic for Linux, that`d be something !!!

This stuff and DOS are still being used, hard as that may be to believe.

Packetteer

#4 Post by Packetteer »

Hi
There is a Visual Basic for Linux.
It is called Gambas.
Do a Google search for Gambas.

John

HACKER

#5 Post by HACKER »

THE END OF QB64 IS COMING! :)

H.

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Sounds to me like FUD.

Fear
Uncertainty, and
Doubt

I find no record on the QB64 forums of this supposed happenstance.

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#7 Post by thunor »

I had an Amstrad PC2086 which came with DOS 3.3 and GW-BASIC and that was line BASIC but I was playing around with 8086 assembly by then. My next computer was a Viglen 386DX (Amstrad later bought the company) which came with DOS 5.x and QBasic which I used to prototype a game that I intended to write in assembly and I really enjoyed using it. There's a possibility it was my first introduction to structured programming because I can't remember using anything before that that didn't use GOTO or an equivalent. I still have the QBasic book that I bought at that time stored in one of my boxes.

I did compile QB64 and I was impressed by it since it simulates the ASCII IDE (MASM used it too) and compiles the programs to standalone binaries. It's a real nostalgia trip playing Gorillas :)

Since it is basically an SDL application I imagine it might be quite useful to have on a handheld device for when you want to code something on the train or plane.

I'm not interested in the politics of it. A parent might install this as a programming introduction for their child (on Linux) so it's not automatically bad because of MicroShaft, or whatever.

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

HACKER, I think we're having a bit of a miscommunication. I'm going to try to see if I can explain things a bit better to you -- once. I have only so much patience.

I'm already tempted to write you off as a troll, since you made a 2nd thread somewhere about this issue (which is a no-no), and your typing is borderline legible in that post, AND you seem to have mocked me in this thread.

So... here goes.

There is no concrete evidence on that forum that I can find where there is a mention of the QB64 project shutting down. Logically: if the project's end was fairly imminent, there would be a very prominent notice up, likely in several places, saying that there's an issue that the project can't handle and so things will close down on such-and-such a date.

There is no such notice.

You seem to see some signs that two people are fighting each other in that project. In the grand scheme of things, that really doesn't matter. One of them is the head of that project, and the other is (as I understand) a troll. (In fact, for all I know, you and him are the same person. Identity on the Internet is very much hard to establish in most cases.)

If the leader of this project is of any significance at all (which he should be) then he will be able to ban the troll without much if any consequence. Therefore, this is likely not a major issue.

Hence my remark: what you appear to be doing is spreading 'FUD'. I spelled out the acronym (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) in case you hadn't come across it before, as your sentences are constructed a bit too poorly for anyone to think that you're something other than a complete newcomer to this (mostly) wonderful thing we call an Internet.

Now... you've made a claim which you couldn't substantiate, and fully half your supposed 'evidence' is a post you made yourself -- which doesn't substantiate anything because it does not link to any proof.

To be honest, I didn't bother with the YouTube link. Anyone can post on YouTube -- and people can amass an incredible following off of very little -- look at all of that 'free energy' garbage that's on there, and how many comments there are from incredibly-gullible believers who troll the people that know better. (Look on Wikipedia --which is a trustable source, because it's much more well-moderated-- for the article on Thermodynamics, if you want to understand exactly why 'free energy' claims really are garbage.)

What you've done here is fairly similar to me claiming that I have a bright orange dinosaur in my basement, and then refusing to let anyone into the basement to see this dinosaur. Few if any would believe me, and few if any will believe you -- and those that do, are as gullible as the 'free energy' believers.

Since you apparently are incapable of supporting this apparent heralding-of-doom, I'm going to ask you to stop proclaiming about it, at least here. You are welcome to join in our discussions of other things --QB64 and otherwise-- but I think it's time to bring this particular claim to a close.

sickgut

#9 Post by sickgut »

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/basic/

I been using this for years, QB64 is sweet. Especially for messing with random number generators.