BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
e_mattis

#41 Post by e_mattis »

You say you have a 100GB hard drive. Have you checked how much free space you have on it? Menu-Filesystem-Utilities-Partview
yea, jrb, i actually have 111.3 GB with 107.8 free. One response in another post reported having this type problem before - had to do all the rebuild on the same HDD as the remaster program (99.3 GB with 98.9 free). I'm trying that now. Also noticed that a lot of the files are being re-writen back to default rather than the modified version. I've tried deleting and copying the mod files to /tmp/root but at time of compile, they all seem to revert.

Still plugging at it :D

Thanks!

E[/quote]

rubantin

#42 Post by rubantin »

I am running wary on an old thin-client that I am using for serving web pages... It seems that barebones 5.3 is faster than regular wary 5.3... is that just my perception or are there background processes that are running as well?

Also, I install the LHMP stack in the regular with no problems, but with the barebones there seems to be permission issues... any reason why?

LAMP-6.16-5.1.35-5.2.9.pet (Should be called LHMP)

Smithy

#43 Post by Smithy »

Hi Jrb, thanks for doing these babies.

Any chance you could get Jack running on the Racy Baby Barebones?
It shows up in the menu, but does not come up when clicked on. (jack-d 0118.pet)
Was looking to replace your 431 barebones with Racy as a minimalist Puppy.
As you say, time moves on!

simargl

#44 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

jlst

#45 Post by jlst »

:shock: Thanks a lot !!!!! :)

jlst

#46 Post by jlst »

Could you please reupload your files??

jrb

New Links

#47 Post by jrb »

Hi, Sadly I just revised all the download links on the original post. :( As most of you probably know Russoodle's Meownplanet website was destroyed by malicious hackers. I want to thank her for all her hard work and the support she has given the Puppy community. Its much appreciated :!: Its a shame the Forces of Good (Linux community) should be subject to these kind of attacks by the Forces of Evil. (Enough on that subject here. It belongs in the paranoia section of the forum).

Oh yeah, I've uploaded all the ISO's to google drive (dealing with the devil) and when I tried downloading it gave me a message about the ISO being too big to scan for viruses, did I want to download anyway? Trust me, there aren't any viruses in these Puppies. :D

polekat

#48 Post by polekat »

When I tried downloading wary bare bones it would get about a third of the way done and then restarted. It happened 4 times. Just thought you might want to know.

cthisbear

#49 Post by cthisbear »

" When I tried downloading wary bare bones it would get about a third
of the way done and then restarted. It happened 4 times "

"""""""

polekat:

I moved recently and have a much slower connection
here in OZ than I had.

But as a test I downloaded this in about 3and a half minutes.

Using this download....wary-5.3-barebones.iso

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0uge_i ... dudVU/edit

Done >>> as I typed.

I would question your connection,
firewall...av....whatever.

i didn't look at your OS specs etc.

Anyway mate...welcome to puppy.

Chris.

polekat

#50 Post by polekat »

Well I just tried again with the same results. Gets to about 30% downloaded and resets back to zero where it starts again.I tried precise barebones last night with the same results. I 'm running precise 5.5 with the default firewall. 3.2ghtz pentium 4 and 4gigs memory. It's no big deal ,I can wait for it to show up on some mirror. Just curious if any one else was running into the same b/s. I do like the recent puppy uploads over at archive.org, much better folks than the google vampires.
edit : I think it may be the Opera browser I use, I got a unsupported browser warning using your link and then it wouldn't even start the download. Google sucks.

James C

#51 Post by James C »

Downloading Wary 5.3 barebones right now..... will edit post when download completes.

EDIT:
Download completed....no problem.

polekat

#52 Post by polekat »

What browser did you use?

James C

#53 Post by James C »

polekat wrote:What browser did you use?
Chrome.

ally

#54 Post by ally »

I was asked by partsman to upload some of my barebones ISOs from the collection

I decided to put them in one place, http://www.archive.org/details/PuppyLinux_barebones so you could try downloading from there

:)

polekat

#55 Post by polekat »

Thank you very much ally. I had no trouble downloading from there. They don't care what browser I use.

TIW

5.3 BABYbarebonesXvesa

#56 Post by TIW »

Hi jrb.
I have downloaded and installed wary 5.3 BABYbarebonesXvesa without a hitch and would like to download and install the latest firefox browser for wary using windows.
I have tried to install a Puppy Linux firefox-25.pet which did not work with wary. Threrefor I would like to download and install firefox-4-4.0-1-w5 using the PPM. Unfortunately I need to manually install firefox because I cannot without a browser alwredy installed in wary access the internet.
My question is : what is the ftp.nluug.nl address if I would like
to download firefox-4-4.0-1-w5 -- the same address as with the wary 5.3. PPM, presuming that this is the latest firefox version available for wary 5.3.BABYbarebonesXvesa ??
Thanks for your help.

jrb

Re: 5.3 BABYbarebonesXvesa

#57 Post by jrb »

TIW wrote:Hi jrb.
I have downloaded and installed wary 5.3 BABYbarebonesXvesa without a hitch and would like to download and install the latest firefox browser for wary using windows.
I have tried to install a Puppy Linux firefox-25.pet which did not work with wary. Threrefor I would like to download and install firefox-4-4.0-1-w5 using the PPM. Unfortunately I need to manually install firefox because I cannot without a browser alwredy installed in wary access the internet.
My question is : what is the ftp.nluug.nl address if I would like
to download firefox-4-4.0-1-w5 -- the same address as with the wary 5.3. PPM, presuming that this is the latest firefox version available for wary 5.3.BABYbarebonesXvesa ??
Thanks for your help.
Hi TIW, Glad to hear you were able to download. I don't understand why you need a browser to download with PPM. :? I am in a fresh install of Wary53BBBXvesa and I have just used PPM to install firefox4-4.01. I'm typing in it now. I used the search window in PPM to search out and install firefox. I also had to search out and install sqlite-3.7.14 and hunspell-1.2.12 to make firefox run. I downloaded all three from the ftp.nluug.nl server when PPM gave me the choices.

Are you sure you're internet connection is working? I can give you the links to the above .pets but you should be able to get them through PPM.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers, J

kpfuser

#58 Post by kpfuser »

I have just downloaded precise-5.4.3-barebones-0.2.iso, burned it to a CD, and run it successfully. It appears that there is no browser in the package since nothing comes up when I click "browse" on the desktop. From what I glean from reading some posts here, I should get the desired browser package (Firefox in my case) using another pc, copy it to precise 5.4.3 barebones, unpack it somewhere (btw is there an unpacking utility included in barebones?), and run its executable from there. Am I right on this? Furthermore, what do I need to do to be able to open the browser by clicking on the "browse" icon/shortcut on my desktop? Finally, does the out-of-the-box precise 5.4.3 barebones come with some utility that allows downloading from the Ubuntu software repositories directly?

jrb

#59 Post by jrb »

kpfuser wrote:I have just downloaded precise-5.4.3-barebones-0.2.iso, burned it to a CD, and run it successfully. It appears that there is no browser in the package since nothing comes up when I click "browse" on the desktop. From what I glean from reading some posts here, I should get the desired browser package (Firefox in my case) using another pc, copy it to precise 5.4.3 barebones, unpack it somewhere (btw is there an unpacking utility included in barebones?), and run its executable from there. Am I right on this? Furthermore, what do I need to do to be able to open the browser by clicking on the "browse" icon/shortcut on my desktop? Finally, does the out-of-the-box precise 5.4.3 barebones come with some utility that allows downloading from the Ubuntu software repositories directly?
Hi kpfuser, Welcome to Puppy.

I gather from what you have asked that you are new to Puppy? Barebones is not the easiest way to learn Puppy but here is the easiest answer to your question.

I suggest downloading ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... 0-i386.pet with another OS. It has the fewest dependencies of any of the major browsers and will work right away in Barebones.(I'm typing in it now in a fresh install of Barebones Precise) Place it on your harddrive somewhere easy to access, C: if using windows. Start Puppy, find the Opera.pet and click on it. It will install, Opera will be on the menu in the internet category and when you open it you will be looking at the Puppy LInux home page.

As for making the Browse icon work, go to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and right-click on it. Choose open as text. In the case of opera, replace "mozstart" with "opera" and it will now open Opera. If you get a Firefox.pet running it may do this automatically or you may have to replace "mozstart" with "firefox".

There is a way to access the Ubuntu repo's. Its in the install icon on the desktop but do be aware that almost all packages that you install will have dependencies, most of which are not in Barebones and many of which are not in Full Puppy. Identifying the dependencies and installing them can be arduous. :x I suggest downloading .pets, either from the "install" icon or from the Puppy forum to start with. See how that works out and then try installing Ubuntu packages.

Good Luck, :D Cheers, J

kpfuser

#60 Post by kpfuser »

Hi jrb,

Thank you for your quick reply, your warm welcome, and your encouraging words. Nevertheless, despite the above, I am sorry to say that your post added a new big disappointment with Puppy to a string of older ones.

To clarify matters, I was led to believe that I could update software (Firefox mostly) by using the Ubuntu repositories and thus keep my installation current so as to avoid the multiple problems I am experiencing now because of a hopelessly outdated version of Firefox. However, your post put paid to such foolish dreams.

Anyway, since life with Puppy seems to be an endless string of compromises and work-arounds, let's see if anything can be salvaged from today's shipwreck with your kind help. For starters, is it possible to install a recent version of Firefox in a manner analogous to the one you describe for Opera? In fact, any manner whatsoever will do as long as I end up with the most recent version of Firefox and no unresolved dependencies. If I can get as far as this, perhaps my resolve will be rekindled allowing me to better cope with the travails that will undoubtedly follow. So what is the verdict?