Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 06:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
List your system
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
linuph

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:55    Post_subject:  

Lobster: OK, done.
paokman

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 19:57    Post_subject:  

I moved to Puppy 5.3.3 on my ACER TravelMate 5511AWLMi
- AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 2 GHz, 512KB L2 cache
- ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 HyperMemory
- 80GB HDD
- 1GB DDR2

Runs flawlessly.

I added LibreOffice, Pidgin, Thunderbird, Firefox, Scummvm, ZSNES, PDFEdit and Transmission.
dennis-slacko531

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013, 22:15    Post_subject:  

HP dc7800 SFF INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 2.66GHz/2GB 160GB HDD

This is a small form factor HP desktop. From the specs you can see it's no slouch.
I'd really like to see others get in on these used/refurbs, so with your permission, here's a picture and details.
Bought in Dec/2012 for $47+25 shipping!!! I'm running about four Puppy's, (currently)...
Operating System: Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 (thanks Pemasu)
Desktop Environment: Enlightenment

Anyway, this is not spam, just good sense. The link takes you to the LIVE auction details.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82280
Doc_152

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 05:43    Post_subject:  

Running Slackopuppy 5.5 on a Toshiba Portege 3410CT with 400Mhz Celeron (Coppermine) 196mb ram, 8mb Savage graphics and a 40gb 5400 rpm drive.

I'm very fond of Puppy, but it works terrible on this computer. Since it loads into ram, it eats most of it. And when swap kicks in the computer borders on overheating because can't cool the 5400rpm drive. And it doesn't have any sound, but the latter is probably a hardware issue because it didn't have sound in Windows XP either.

If you watch your ram usage and avoid heavy websites by loading their mobile versions, it works reasonably well. Been typing away at it for two days. I also installed Dillo, Arora and I'm running IceWM as a window manager. I'm gonna uninstall some build in apps and tweak it a bit more.

I'm also going to put puppy on a Thinkpad T30 later this week, so that'll probably work better.
Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 07:16    Post_subject:  

@Doc_152,
Welcome to the kennels Smile
I have a Toshiba Portege 3480CT with 196MB RAM, 500MHz Coppermine PIII CPU. I run an partition with XP on the 7200rpm 160GB HD, but it is untouched compared to the Pupplets I run on it frugally - Fluppy 013 (413 frugal), MacPup520 (lucid), Simplicity 10:10, ZenPup5, TEENpup2010min, and MJINpup. Perhaps you might like to look at something in that range for optimal performance - I'm no expert on Slacko, but you might like to consider the latest Wary for that machine, or even some of pemasu's recent Upup Precise versions (chose retro kernels, though all boast near-latest packages like FF18 I think) if you want function with maximum compatibility with whatever-the-hottest-flavour file format (docx, xlsx etc). Lucid 528 would probably be my choice, with the latest Frisbee modifications from rerwin to make wifi.pcmcia a breeze...

Lenovo T60 with 4GB RAM, 1.66 GHz dual core CPUs running Dpup 5X14, LightHouse 64beta, PolarPup5, Saluki v6, MacPup528, Akita13 (will upgrade that soon, sc0ttman).

Opentec Openfire Series2 (RT686 mbo with Coppermine PIII 500MHz, 512MB PC1200 sdram (I think)) testing Upup precise 3.7.2 for permanent home on usb-flash, no HDD or cd-burner. This is similar machine to an Amrel Rocky II RT686.

[EDIT: heh - Doc_152 in reply to your query below I was donated that 3480CT for the very reason that "it wouldn't run XP". I tried to de-bloat XP as much as possible with tips from the MSFN forum - getting rid of background "services", swapfile optimisation etc - heck I might have even gone through the XPlite route (can't remember!Smile ) and it ran absolutely fab. (Within reason...) I used to also comb sites like 'Gizmo's Freeware' for "performance enhancement" stuff too as I couldn't justify paying for MSOffice upgrades and other antiviral bloatware etc etc on that machine. Soon I realized that I was practically running everything under the alien concept of "Open Source", and after giving the MS OS the hurl - found that Puppy did absolutely everything I needed - faster, more reliably and without the nagware. To mix metaphors - that 3480ct was the springboard for me to jump the MS ship while the Emperor fiddled with Vista, Win7 and Win8. My fingers won't burn again for MS Smile
Glad you like Wary! I'm not sure whether anyone has released a properly-polished Wary pupplet yet, but can I also suggest you look at ttuuxx's 214XTop10 for that machine if you want the fully serviceable Puppy experience on your Toshie laptop. In my experience of all the Pupplets I tried, once the ISO size gets above 200MB then general performance tended to lag - don't forget a decent swap partition, about 500mb is what I was using but apparently 256mb is probably the 'sweet spot'. I remember that probably the biggest performance boost was when I upgraded the original 40GB 4200rpm HDD - literally it was like getting a new computer. Cheers]

EDIT2: just saw your Edit2... sorry to see that Lucid528 was a bit of a hog - the LibreOffice+Java version runs fine on my RT686 but then 512MB RAM is like another planet... On the Portege, all my installs have been Frugal but apparently some performance improvements are seen if you do a Full install of whatever Puppy you wind up choosing. I reckon you are well on the right track though - stick with the earlier kernels you can, stay as light/small as possible like the BK's Official releases and only install your extra software on an as-needs basis (office etc) - heck you got over the PCMCIA bootup hurdle, you won't have any problems customizing your software requirements... Hmmm we might be hijacking this thread - someone might ask us to take our Toshie toys elsewhere Wink

Edited_times_total
Doc_152

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 13:52    Post_subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
@Doc_152,
Welcome to the kennels Smile
I have a Toshiba Portege 3480CT with 196MB RAM, 500MHz Coppermine PIII CPU. I run an partition with XP on the 7200rpm 160GB HD, but it is untouched compared to the Pupplets I run on it frugally - Fluppy 013 (413 frugal), MacPup520 (lucid), Simplicity 10:10, ZenPup5, TEENpup2010min, and MJINpup. Perhaps you might like to look at something in that range for optimal performance - I'm no expert on Slacko, but you might like to consider the latest Wary for that machine, or even some of pemasu's recent Upup Precise versions (chose retro kernels, though all boast near-latest packages like FF18 I think) if you want function with maximum compatibility with whatever-the-hottest-flavour file format (docx, xlsx etc). Lucid 528 would probably be my choice, with the latest Frisbee modifications from rerwin to make wifi.pcmcia a breeze...

Lenovo T60 with 4GB RAM, 1.66 GHz dual core CPUs running Dpup 5X14, LightHouse 64beta, PolarPup5, Saluki v6, MacPup528, Akita13 (will upgrade that soon, sc0ttman).

Opentec Openfire Series2 (RT686 mbo with Coppermine PIII 500MHz, 512MB PC1200 sdram (I think)) testing Upup precise 3.7.2 for permanent home on usb-flash, no HDD or cd-burner. This is similar machine to an Amrel Rocky II RT686.

Holy crap, mate! This thing flies! Just installed wary, and while i needs a few tweaks, it runs unbelievably well.

Had to bump down the drive to a 4200 rpm and the bootloader took some tweaking, as you might know installing an os on this thing is a PITA, but it runs great. I'm writing this on the Portege.

EDIT: How does XP run for you? Your cpu is a bit quicker, but its the ram that held mine back. For me it was swapping like an old lady at a flea market. Totally unusable.

Edit2: tried lucid 528 and it used a bit more ram than i'm comfortable with. I hear precise runs at around 50 megs, so i'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.

Edit3: did you get sound working on yours? Our rigs are closely related and ee should have the same 16 bit soundblaster sound card. Mine doesnt seem to work though. Not in xp and not in puppy.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum