Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#221 Post by dancytron »

pemasu wrote:I have updated the google-chrome-fix-for-deb-install-0.0.1.pet.
Now it has data and media cache restriction set to 10 Mb. So that the browser does not fill /tmp or savefile with browser accumulation data.

I reattach it here and also the previously posted pet in the post above has been updated. I think this is so important update that I post the update in this new post also....

Is there a reason that this is better than setting

Code: Select all

exec=google-chrome %U --disk-cache-dir="/mnt/home/Cache" --user-data-dir="/mnt/home/chrome" 
in the .desktop and default browser file. Then assuming you are on a hard disk install with lots of room, just let the cache and user files be the size they want to be (or maybe add the size flags too).

Your executable code from pet file for reference

exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"' > /usr/bin/google-chrome 
Thanks

Dan

pemasu

#222 Post by pemasu »

exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"' > /usr/bin/google-chrome 
versus

exec=google-chrome %U --disk-cache-dir="/mnt/home/Cache" --user-data-dir="/mnt/home/chrome" 
When you dont have savefile created, you dont have /mnt/home directory so...that definition is not generic enough. So...my used one has generic version with data and media cache restriction...if they are not restricted....try to watch movie stream from the net and voila...even /tmp will be eaten up.

Your version is okay with savefile...when you have hdd disk available to where to point the data and media cache.
%U is not needed in Puppies. Remove it. It is good habit not to include it. Some apps get disturbed.

So....your version is just fine for usage with savefile. My version tries to be safe with savefile and without it.

What I want. My first version has been incorporated already to the woof. I posted for Barry Kauler that my improved one is better and I hope he update the woof with it. When people or Barry now woof build Puppy, they can download latest or their wanted google-chrome .deb and test it without need for those Puppyficated google-chrome pets which have that root user fix and fix for data accumulation.

Off topic... I think it is not great idea that browser has not that cache size option in settings panel....but that is google app, not mine to criticize it much.
Last edited by pemasu on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#223 Post by dancytron »

Try it without a save file. It seems to go ahead and create the mnt/home/<directory>s and work anyway. Not sure exactly what it is doing though as far as where the files really are and what happens to them when you create the save file.

pemasu

#224 Post by pemasu »

Yes...it creates the directories....but inside the ram. The directories are not linked to the hdd partition.
Try it without savefile and find some HD movie stream and watch that for one hour. I believe you will get warning that you are getting out of space and the movie stops....okay...almost everything stops until you restart X.

I will test it when I next time watch movie stream. Maybe this evening....maybe not.

spandey

#225 Post by spandey »

I installed Wine using Package Manager including all the dependencies. But after successful completion, there are no menu entries. The .wine directory is also missing. Am I missing something obvious?

pemasu

#226 Post by pemasu »

Spandey. I dont use Wine at all...and I dont want to use it. So...I cant help you much with it. But of course I can check what goes wrong with installation. Did you install wine from debian repo with PPM ? It sounded like that but you could confirm it.
How do you launch wine from console ?
.wine missing directory might be the one which is created when you first time launch wine.
There are also ready up to date wine pets in the forum which might work better.
But testing wine is out of my reach.

I am atm working with 3.8 kernel for Precise Puppy but I suppose 3.8.X kernel without PAE will be the one I will use with Dpup Wheezy...so Precise Puppy 3.8 kernel will be great opportunity to test it with wider user feedback. So...I dont have possibility to boot Dpup Wheezy today.

charlie6

#227 Post by charlie6 »

spandey wrote:I installed Wine using Package Manager including all the dependencies. But after successful completion, there are no menu entries. The .wine directory is also missing. Am I missing something obvious?
Hi,
try launching from terminal

# winecfg
if this do not work for you, uninstall the installed wine; and install one of the pets here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/wine/

among the various wines versions available this one -i.e. version 1.4- is enough for my needs
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 886#610886

«the later the version id, the better wine features ...» --> you will have to try out which one suit the best your needs.

Note: from wine version 1.3.6, the mouse cursor is the X default cursor (and no longer the windows cursor)

hope this helps
Charlie
Attachments
wine1_4-Wizy.png
(102.08 KiB) Downloaded 1703 times

Satori

Dell D830 Laptop Wheeze install

#228 Post by Satori »

I did a test install of wheeze, to prepare for the jump from dPup Squeeze, and all went well.

Did a manual install of nvidia 3.10 drivers with no problems.

I kind of miss the Frisbee package, but the wireless worked once I started the Auto DHCP correctly.

Chrome 24 works and Firefox updated to their latest and greatest 19.0

Dell d830 laptop specs:

-Processors-
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz : 800.00MHz

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge : Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port
PCI bridge : Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
Audio device : Intel Corporation 82801H
ISA bridge : Intel Corporation 82801HEM
IDE interface : Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
VGA controller : nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 140M]
Ethernet controller : Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
Network controller : Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n

Report Video

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 140M] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G86 Board - dawson0 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia
dimensions: 1920x1200 pixels (332x210 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

pemasu

#229 Post by pemasu »

Satori. Good to hear of your experience.
I havent included much customization. Radky`s great apps are missing and also Frisbee. As are several other things.

The reason is that I need feedback from core funtionality. People notice those problems better if I havent loaded the build full with Puppy apps and report things concerning them.

Debian Wheezy is not prime yet. As long as Debian still improves the packages....I create mostly these a little stripped builds. I probably will start some modifications when I feel so. But heavy customization like Dpup Squeeze is not my intention. It just takes too much time....and I am also interested in Upup Precise.

I have played with idea that I will point pdf opening to the Firefox since it supports them now. Epdfvies sucks form Debian repo. The find property shows it. For Precise I did compile Evince but Firefox might be opportunity.

Frisbee has been under heavy development. Barry Kauler just announced that the latest version will be uploaded to the official repo. So....if you update the database...you should get working Frisbee from repo.

Fabio T

Python compiler not works in Wheezy

#230 Post by Fabio T »

I've tried an installation of mypaint 11.0 in Wheezy without any add-on.
Mypaint cannot runs.
Python reply with a couple of errors , while Precise works well (I cannot install Bluetooth driver to make Python works).

don570

#231 Post by don570 »

to Pemasu :

Have you keep up with my right click package?

Very exciting!!

It would now be possible for you to dump putting right clicks in
your distros and let me handle this work. Many languages
could be supported (including Finnish :lol: ).

.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 786#687786

Here's German version..

Last edited by don570 on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#232 Post by pemasu »

Don570. I have tried to keep up. Sometimes I have done some reduction if the support has not met the build needs, but basically your work has been included.

And thank for your work. I check your latest version, when I create next build.
I have already some fixes which should be in the build.

don570

#233 Post by don570 »

'Dump' means get rid of the Right click menu items.

It would be less work for you.

pemasu

#234 Post by pemasu »

Not gonna get rid of them. I appreciate them too much :D

It surely would be less work, but I really want them to be in the build. Rox right clicks really enhance Rox usability and I use them all the time.

You could think that they are there for me...if for nobody else.
But I am sure most users appreciate them...probably more if they are not there....

Of course there is the problem to keep up...but at least I know what there is when I repeatedly check your work through....at least by scanning through the folders....and sometimes fixing missing icons...due to different build I use.

don570

#235 Post by don570 »

Then you should look at my pinstall script to see how I made the
package compatible with Libre Office. It wasn't easy because
Libre Office puts the version number in the desktop filename
which is not a good practise.

...and the new version of Bulldog finder 1.3 fixes some problems.

charlie6

missing libssl.so.0.9.8 on debian wheezy: work around

#236 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
libssl.so.0.9.8 as also libcrypto.so.0.9.8 are needed to run spotify spotify-0.6.2.291.pet from dpup-exprimo repo here
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... .2.291.pet,

Only version 1.0.0 exists for debian wheezy.

Already present libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0 do not work even with the also existing libssl.so.0.9.8 as also libcrypto.so.0.9.8 symlinks.

I found this work around:
- download without install the debian-squeeze libssl0.9.8_0.9.8o-4squeeze14_i386.deb;
- extract it in /tmp;
- copy both extracted libssl.so.0.9.8 as also libcrypto.so.0.9.8 to /usr/local/lib;
- delete the existing /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 and /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 symlinks;
- make new symlinks /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 and /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 pointing to /usr/local/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 and /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 .

So question: might this work around bring possible troubles with other present applications...?

thanks for any advice
Charlie

pemasu

#237 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. Using squeeze 0.98 version is the only way atm. Spotify does not have version linked to newer 1.0 versions. So your solution is as good as any other. Does it give problems. Probably not. Only if you have dev libs installed for 0.98 version also, then there is possibility that compiled apps would be linked to that older version of those libs. For example compiling Pidgin with 0.98 dev libs present is not recommended.

Otherwise...just having older versions present should not be problematic. So....use Spotify as you have done. No other way around anyway. There has been posts about new Spotify with updated compile using 1.0 version, but I checked the latest version, it still uses 0.98.

charlie6

about spotify-0.6.2.291.pet: icons non readable

#238 Post by charlie6 »

Hi pemasu,
about spotify-0.6.2.291.pet from dpup-exprimo repo:
None of the icons present in folder (size of "theme" folder is ca. 3.5MB)
spotify-0.6.2.291/usr/share/spotify/theme
cannot be red with mtpaint (read error reported) nor viewnior.
What are those 3.5 MB icons ued for ?
Thanks for any answer
Charlie

pemasu

#239 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. Those so called .png files are used by Spotify. If you remove them, you will notice that the Spotify will not start. Why they dont open with image viewer, I dont know. But if you download the original .deb you will notice that it behaves same way. If you are interested why they dont open...you could try to hunt answer with google. I dont know.

OscarTalks

#240 Post by OscarTalks »

What a nice pup!

Wheezy looking good running Linphone in a call to the video echo test.
Attachments
wheezy.jpg
Screenshot of Linphone in Wheezy
(85.25 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Oscar in England