SlackBones x86_64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
2byte

#61 Post by 2byte »

You know, it's kind of funny. In an odd sort of way. I installed quite a few apps with gslapt and slapt-get and even compiled a couple from source and built a couple with slack.builds. The lib64 problem didn't show up until I tried to build a new lxpanel.

Go figure.

jamesbond

#62 Post by jamesbond »

Problem acknowledged. Fix is coming.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2byte

desktop fails to load sometimes

#63 Post by 2byte »

I've been debating with myself on whether not to even mention this, because I'm not sure this isn't a firmware or hardware problem. But since there was a similar report on the Fatdog 6.20 beta thread, well here you go, just in case it's relevant.

Once every 6 or so cold boots I fail to get a desktop and Slackbones leaves me at the command prompt. Then, if I give it the xwin command it boots to a normal desktop. That's all it takes, xwin. This particular box is a circa 2006 1.8 ghz AMD with 512 MB ram and on board radeon 300G. I have installed with gslapt xf86-video-ati and mesa.

xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop fails

Code: Select all

[     9.681] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported. 
xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop loads

[  1165.858] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled. 
/var/log/messages reports several times, if I get a desktop or not ..

Feb 19 09:01:10 slackbone64-d41 daemon.err udevd[2121]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/firmware' 'firmware --firmware=radeon/R300_cp.bin --devpath=/devices/platform/radeon_cp.0/firmware/radeon_cp.0': No such file or directory 
The messages and xorg logs are attached.

Regards,
2byte
Attachments
boot-video-fail.tar.gz
(55.07 KiB) Downloaded 576 times

Q5sys

Re: desktop fails to load sometimes

#64 Post by Q5sys »

2byte wrote:I've been debating with myself on whether not to even mention this, because I'm not sure this isn't a firmware or hardware problem. But since there was a similar report on the Fatdog 6.20 beta thread, well here you go, just in case it's relevant.

Once every 6 or so cold boots I fail to get a desktop and Slackbones leaves me at the command prompt. Then, if I give it the xwin command it boots to a normal desktop. That's all it takes, xwin. This particular box is a circa 2006 1.8 ghz AMD with 512 MB ram and on board radeon 300G. I have installed with gslapt xf86-video-ati and mesa.

xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop fails

[     9.681] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported. 
xorg.0.log at line 366 when the desktop loads

[  1165.858] (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled. 
/var/log/messages reports several times, if I get a desktop or not ..

Feb 19 09:01:10 slackbone64-d41 daemon.err udevd[2121]: failed to execute '/lib/udev/firmware' 'firmware --firmware=radeon/R300_cp.bin --devpath=/devices/platform/radeon_cp.0/firmware/radeon_cp.0': No such file or directory 
The messages and xorg logs are attached.

Regards,
2byte
Slackbones v1.2 will be released by the end of the week. So when that drops, check to see if you get the same result. If you do let us know.
We've just got a few final things to tweak before we put out the next release.

Q5sys

#65 Post by Q5sys »

Slackbones v1.2 released.

Download: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slackbo ... x86_64.iso
Mirror: https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppys ... ce=updater
Md5: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slackbo ... 64.iso.md5
Package list: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slacklist
Devx Package list: http://slackbones.org/isos/v1.2/slacklist-dev

Updated Kernel used in FatDog 620 Beta thanks to Kirk.
Slackbones v1.2 is UEFI and SecureBoot capable thanks to JamesBond.

2byte

#66 Post by 2byte »

Hi Guys,

Finally had time to install v1.2 last night. First experience is much better than v1.0. This one boots straight to the desktop with sound and networking, whereas v1.0 required video drivers to be installed to get X working on this old Compaq with on-board radeon 300G.

The devx seems OK too.

Memory usage with a couple of rox windows, geany, and firefox 19 running a blank page is only 127 mb. Excellent!

So far I have installed:
Firefox 19 (installed with Gslapt)
Glade
Geany
BaCon
chtheme & some gtk themes
xarchiver
htop
ob-xdgmenu

All of these (except Firefox, BaCon & ob-xdgmenu) are .txz installed with installpkg and are working well.

Regarding the video problem at boot that I reported earlier; Lupu 5.10 is failing to boot to desktop too so I believe this is likely a failing video chip and not a Slackbones issue.

Regards,
2byte

jamesbond

#67 Post by jamesbond »

Q5sys wrote:Slackbones v1.2 is UEFI and SecureBoot capable thanks to JamesBond.
and kirk too :wink:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

scsijon

#68 Post by scsijon »

slackbones 1.2 from both sites match md5, however on burn I get;

Boot from CD :

ISOLINUX 4.05 0x502ec197 ETCDisonlinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press any key to retry...

Burn't with both Burnisotocd and Pburn (4 cd's in total) on wary55.

Any ideas?

Q5sys

#69 Post by Q5sys »

scsijon wrote:slackbones 1.2 from both sites match md5, however on burn I get;

Boot from CD :

ISOLINUX 4.05 0x502ec197 ETCDisonlinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

Boot failed: press any key to retry...

Burn't with both Burnisotocd and Pburn (4 cd's in total) on wary55.

Any ideas?
That's weird because I get that sometimes as well, but not always. And others havent had that issue since they're reported success with installing v1.2

I'm working on v2 right now, so if you dont mind waiting, just hold out for that.

Ted Dog

#70 Post by Ted Dog »

Remove -J from iso file setting, was getting same error at 100% of the time in one stress test on a effort doing something else. Just passing that info along..

Q5sys

#71 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:Remove -J from iso file setting, was getting same error at 100% of the time in one stress test on a effort doing something else. Just passing that info along..
You lost me on that one. Can you explain that one to me a bit more?

Ted Dog

#72 Post by Ted Dog »

the -J causes an almost random read error, was able to make a correct iso that always failed with that setting. It's really not needed any more, even MiserySoft no longer forces its use on the rest of the world. Also he should try forcing a slower burn rate with CD's they are very flaky any way. Or move up to dvd or bluray in the next month or so.

Q5sys

#73 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:the -J causes an almost random read error, was able to make a correct iso that always failed with that setting. It's really not needed any more, even MiserySoft no longer forces its use on the rest of the world. Also he should try forcing a slower burn rate with CD's they are very flaky any way. Or move up to dvd or bluray in the next month or so.
gotcha. Well burning a 330mb file onto a DVD is kinda a waste... doing so on a BR might be a crime. :lol:

Ted Dog

#74 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh Q you sound like a Ubuntu Linux user, extra space is used for storage in puppy. And my puppy needs a 'big' yard.

Did you see that the new Ubuntu will not even fit into a CD any more. :wink:

oh, also that's strike one on DINO... 'crime....'

Q5sys

#75 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:Oh Q you sound like a Ubuntu Linux user, extra space is used for storage in puppy. And my puppy needs a 'big' yard.

Did you see that the new Ubuntu will not even fit into a CD any more. :wink:

oh, also that's strike one on DINO... 'crime....'
Well slackbones is so bare... there's nothing there to even use. So all that storage would go to waste without programs to use it. So its really an 'install' and build release. I dont know if it managed to sneak into v1.2 or not; but in v1, multisession wasn't possible. So you couldnt even save your changes back to the disk, unless you did major tweaking in the live session to make that possible.
The 330mb is due the 130mb devx and the 91mb kernel sources. The actual Slackbones base ISO is 109mb.

Program wise SB is a blank slate... The only gui apps it has by default is rox, a terminal emulator and slaptget. Dillo and gftp are included on the ISO, but aren't installed.

Ted Dog

#76 Post by Ted Dog »

But I see multisession as a way to protect and extend puppy into a rolling release method. The strong negative with rolling release is returning to last good state, that is dead easy with multisession puppy, no complex source version control, no accidental overwrites or loss of key data.
Would like to be able to label the sessions, verses the current date-time stamp naming method. And merge the two ways that multisession is done by BK and FatDog64.
With session labels (default to date-time) we can label key points or packages worked on, to aid in recovery.

scsijon

-j

#77 Post by scsijon »

scuse me folks, but just where do I remove the -j from.......

scsijon

ref:TedDog: Remove -J from iso file setting, was getting same error at 100% of the time in one stress test on a effort doing something else. Just passing that info along..
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 02 May 2013, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

Re: -j

#78 Post by Ted Dog »

scsijon wrote:scuse me folks, but just where do I remove the -j from.......

scsijon
scsiXon there you go..... :wink:

scsijon

booting and savefile problems

#79 Post by scsijon »

@Q5sys.

Got a 'little' frustated and tried installing it the manual way, copying cd files into a directory, setting grub lines up and rebooting.

It all worked on, once I went in and set the video= up on the vmlinuz line.

Savefile created ok and all seems ok on a reboot, but was not.

So it looks like the boot problem relates to the loader, not the O.S.

regards.

EDIT:
Savefile problems
It seems to need to be in the bottom level of the partition, a reboot when it's at a higher level, such as a frugal build (eg /dev/sda7/slackbones64/sbsave.ext4) gives two problems one it's not found by name and secondly it's not found by location. I seem to have to have it as /dev/sda7/sb64save.ext4.

scsijon

build query?

#80 Post by scsijon »

@ Kirk or Q5sys

What is the configure line switches you use for a build please, I want to try something out, and while i'm at it i'll build a 64bit version of the latest jwm.

thanks
scsijon

EDIT: Never mind I found them in the Fatdog620 thread.