Fatdog64-620beta1 (Thread closed)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LateAdopter

#21 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk
Have you tried turning on the samba server and sharing files from your Downloads folder in the past?
I don't use networking, apart from internet access, so I have never tried that.

kirk

#22 Post by kirk »

ally,

Try installing the proprietary ATI driver, James says one of his systems runs a lot cooler with it. You'll need Catalyst 12.8 for that one. Here a link to the pet:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.7.7.pet

smokey01,

So far I can switch back and forth between JWM and openbox without problems. I'll try a few other things. Caution about JWM, it's in there just in case openbox has problems. Nether James or my self use it, so it's not really maintained.

irishrm,

Don't use the old pet package. Reboot after deleting your savefile or boot with savefile=none. Then go to Control Panel and click on the System tab. Then click on 'Manage Servers and Services'. Click on BC-wl and click Start and Enable. Then right click on the wpa_gui icon in the tray and select restart connection. After wpa_gui restarts click on the wpa_gui icon and select scan and see if anything shows up.

LateAdopter,

For the next release autochownd won't start if the Downloads folder is some place where ownership can't be set. Thanks.

irishrm

#23 Post by irishrm »

Kirk:
Did as you requested.

Manage Servers and services says bc-wl currently running=yes.
Scan shows nothing.

Not showing in network wizard.

Got the same result earlier that's why I tried the old wl pet.

irishrm.

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk wrote:gcmartin,
Do you mean "Fatdog64 with multisession support" is giving you the video problems? And the normal boot (first boot option) is working?
I amended the post with add'l details.

You may have already taken a look at the Hardinfo report provided in that post. This X2 system has its video on-board the motherboard and the system did not have problems when it ran FATDOG 5.2+.
  • Should I run TaZoC's sys-info utility.?
  • Is there any other tool that would provide additional useful information?
Lastly, I am running the system via start to xorgwizard. The only driver which starts on the system and does NOT screw the video and lock the system is VESA. (Other driver selections via xorgwizard would end in "Failure ..."

Hope this provides useful understanding

JustGreg

#25 Post by JustGreg »

I spent the morning testing on my Compaq CQ-58 using the UEFI "secure" boot process. Fatdog64-620beta1 did work for the CDROM and a USB using my process (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83402). I do have to say thank you for modifying Grub2 to ask how to find the grub.cfg file. It solves the issues of using a USB flash device as a rescue device. Previously, Grub2 would always use the hard drive grub.cfg file.

I did try GIMP and it worked fine.

The only minor problem with a hard drive install was I use a previous save file. Upon startup, the display was highly distorted. I use ctrl alt backspace to stop the x server. After running xorgwizard, everything was fine.

If you use an USB flash drive with an existing hard drive grub2 installation. The grub.cfg file on the USB needs this:

Code: Select all

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxx-xxx
# above line searches for UUID and sets root to device with UUID
before starting the kernel.

I can not test fatdog64 with an existing Windows 8 installation. I got tied of the Micro$oft problems and replaced the hard drive with a new solid state one. No Windows for me.

I do have a question on the beta. Does it contain the kernel modules Ralink_390sta? I need it for the wireless card. It seems the card is sleep mode (or airplane mode) and is not being detected. I need to manually add it. Thanks for any help on the wireless card.

I know it is the year of the snake for the Chinese. For me, this year is turning out to be the year of the Fatdog
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

kirk

#26 Post by kirk »

gcmartin,

Sounds like problems with nouveau. You can try booting with nouveau.noaccel=1.

If that doesn't help you can try booting with "Start Fatdog64 with the chosen resolution" boot option (Which uses nomodeset and pfix=xorgwizard) and try the nv driver in the xorgwizard.

If that doesn't work you can try one of the proprietary nvidia drivers here:

or

You'll need to find out what chip set your nvidia card has and go to nvidia's web site and see if you need the 304.x or 310.x pet package.

JustGreg,

I compiled all of the wireless modules that are included with the kernel including the staging ones. The only extra module I included was the Broadcom wl module, which has to be manually activated in the Control Panel. If you have a link to the source code for your wireless card. I might include it.

Q5sys

#27 Post by Q5sys »

looking forward to testing this out when I get home. :)

WillM

#28 Post by WillM »

HI,

Thank you for this new version of Fatdog64.
When my monitor is supposed to sleep, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then turns on again. This is on a desktop, using nouveau driver.

JustGreg

#29 Post by JustGreg »

Kirk, no need for a new module. If the hardware identifies your wireless module as RaLink Device 539b then Fatdog64 has module rt2800pci that will work for it. Alternative identification for the device is Ralink [1814:539b]. I found alternative identification when looking for information on the wifi device. You may have to do a modprobe command to install it and get the module out of airplane mode. Once out of airplane mode, it does work.

I now have it working. However, I can not place the wifi adapter into airplane mode with the F9 key. I think hp_wmi module may have something to do with it. I did some searching and yes, the hp-wmi module does toggle the wifi adapter from normal to airplane mode. However, it is not clear how one does that, more research needed.

I tried the savefile directory and had a problem with it. Seamonkey could not find the profile for itself and would not start. However, going back to the savefile, everything worked correctly. What needs to be done to go from an existing fd64save.ext4 to a savefile directory. I also had the new savefile directory in the same partition. Should it be in another partition? Thank you in advance for any help on this.

I have Thunderbird up and running on the beta without an problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

jamesbond

#30 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01

No problem switching jwm too. Could be because of your previous icewm experiment? Check contents of $HOME/.fatdog/windowpanel.
Try restarting openbox like this (from terminal): "restartwm openbox lxpanel" or otherwise delete that file.

ally,

In my laptop, idling with radeon open source driver my temp hovers around 65 C, with ATI driver it is 45 C.

irishrm,

after you turn on the BC-wl service, reboot. Some cards require reboot before it works properly with wl (mine is one of those).

JustGreg,

Is the filesystem where the save directory exist ext2/3/4? Assuming you start with a "fresh" save directory, there shouldn't be anything in /root/spot/.mozilla. Save directory can be anywhere. You cannot convert from savefile to save directory (at least not easily) - you can switch between them, however (just like you can switch between multiple savefiles).

Your success of using previous savefile depends on how much customisation you have done on it, especially if it involves kernel modules - new releases normally come with new kernels which make previous kernel modules stop working.

Thank you for your advice on grub2, I'm sure it's useful for others too.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

irishrm

#31 Post by irishrm »

Jamesbond:
Did the reboot-did the scan-did the reconnect but still no connection.

BC-wl status:
Start at boot: yes
Currently running: yes
Control file: 30-BC-wl.

I have a working install of fatdog 510 and 610.
I also have precise and slacko installs with the wl driver working with frisbee.

I may get a better result with a later release of 620.
Thanks to yourself and kirk for your help.

irishrm.

jamesbond

#32 Post by jamesbond »

irishrm,

If you don't mind, one last thing - can you dump the output of "dmesg" from terminal here? We may see something that may help. Broadcom isn't a good wireless chips to have, I regret to say (and I'm saying this as one who owns one too) :( The proprietary "wl" drivers haven't been updated in the last two years (check it yourself here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php), I think with the intention that the open-source driver will take over, but the open-source driver isn't up to par yet. So what has been done on the "wl" drivers are patches upon patches upon patches by people, without knowing that broadcom is doing internally within their binary blob. Sometimes you hit jackpot and it works, but it then we hit issues like yours.

JustGreg,

I remember something - those "special keys" buttons are problematic. Some of them are "hardcoded" into ACPI bios - they always work whatever the OS you install (even on no OS at all). Some of them are wired through ACPI events. Some of them are wired through ACPI events *only* if you have the right wmi driver loaded (in your case, probably hp_wmi as you said). Some of them are routed through normal keyboard driver, but they are extremely broken (e.g. button generates keypress without corresponding keyrelease, or generates very funny keycode which requires mapping etc). In the latter cases, one needs to capture the "event" and then run a script to do something (e.g."rfkill" to turn on/off the devices). Try to run "xev" first and when the mouse is over the xev window, press F9 key and tell me what you've got. Also try to run "evtest" from terminal, then choose your keyboard input, then press your magic F9 key and see how it goes.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

irishrm

#33 Post by irishrm »

Thanks jamesbond.

I'm attaching dmesg.

Don't waste any more time on trying to get a fix.
I have plenty to be going on with. Maybe it might work in the next release.

irishrm.
Attachments
dmesg.zip
(10.32 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

JustGreg

#34 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks for the information, JamesBond.

The savefile directory was on an ext2 filesystem partition. Now that I know the spot directory has the needed files, I can try it again and make any changes as needed.

I did the two tests on the key. It turns out the special key is the "F12" key. The F12 key press is not detected by either xev or evtest. I will have to remember those two utilities. The good news is the wifi module can be control by rfkill either rfkill block wlan or rfkill unblock wlan. That problem is solved.

I have been having x server start up "hiccups" with the Radeon driver. Sometimes, it does not start up correctly. I get the mouse cursor with either a white screen or one with no display (cursor can be seen). Fatdog does not have the utility reportvideo like other puppies. It does help with these types of problems. I have tried the Vesa driver and it failed. I have a couple of ideas I will try to see if I get a better information on what is failing to start.

Some additional information

I tried using the older ATI driver to see if the problem would go away. It did not. When the driver/ xserver seem to fail to start, one needs to use the power key to get out of the hung system. This loses any logs. I did find if I do a manual (pfix=nox) start of the x server then it always works. It may take longer to display the desktop, but, it does start. I did notice one item with pfix=nox. The console seems to stop at the command "Starting HAL daemon /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=yes" One needs to press the "enter" key to get the console prompt. I do not know if this is an issue. But, it was the only thing that caught my attention. I hope this helps.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

smokey01

#35 Post by smokey01 »

JustGreg,

The report-video here seems to work ok.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5fc#677225

JustGreg

#36 Post by JustGreg »

Thanks Smoke01! I have down loaded the pet and will try it out. It is nice to know that report-video is not arch dependent. Thanks again. I will report how it worked here.

08:48 EST, The pet loaded and started. However, it did not report any information. It may be do to fatdog64 does not have same xorg configuration as the other puppies. The xorg.conf file does not have a video section that lists the driver. It is not clear to me how the graphics video is started. Thanks for the information on the pet.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

JustGreg

#37 Post by JustGreg »

I have been starting fatdog64 620BETA with the pfix=nox option to insure the x server starts correctly. When I have 620BETA start directly into x server, the x server fails to start correctly. There is no video display and it does not respond to either ctrl alt backspace or ctrl alt delete key commands. The mouse cursor is present and responds correctly. I have tried the ATI driver with the same results. It seems something is interfering with the startup processes (maybe the hal daemon process and window manager?).

I also delete the existing save file and started with nosave file. BETA620 initialized correctly with a x server and window manager. I did create a save directory. I do like the save directory. It does work well. I tried a restart and x server failed. Back to nox option for start up.

I can not get any of the logs to see what is failing.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

kirk

#38 Post by kirk »

I also delete the existing save file and started with nosave file. BETA620 initialized correctly with a x server and window manager. I did create a save directory. I do like the save directory. It does work well. I tried a restart and x server failed. Back to nox option for start up.
I just want to make sure I understand what's going on:

With no savefile or booting with savefile=none, the video works? Always?

The save directory is located on a ext2/3/4 partition?

If you boot with pfix=nox and then type xwin the video works? Always?

If the answer to all questions is yes, that makes me think that we might be starting X before your card is ready. Fatdog64-620 boots pretty fast. This can cause problems with some hardware, especially if that hardware has to load and initialize firmware. Which some radoens do. So if the answer to the last question is always yes add sleep 3 to /etc/rc.d/rc.local. You can open a terminal and do this:

Code: Select all

echo "sleep 3" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

or do it with Geany. If that works, you might be able to reduce that number from 3 using Geany to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

JustGreg

#39 Post by JustGreg »

Answers to your questions:
With no savefile or booting with savefile=none, the video works? Always?
Yes
The save directory is located on a ext2/3/4 partition?
It is an ext2 partition. I am planning to change to ext3 with final version of 620.
If you boot with pfix=nox and then type xwin the video works? Always?
No, sometimes it would fail usually after a cold boot from power off. After reboot, the problem would not occur. However, if I used rfkill to block the wifi, then it would always work.

I added the sleep 3 to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to have solve the issue. This works for both power on boot and reboot.

I also did some search on Hal daemon and failure to start X. The Radeon driver seem to be associated with most of the reports. It either solved the problem or had no impact. Based on the rfkill block wlan command helping, I was going to ask how does one prevent wpa_gui from initializing the wifi at start up?

Fatdog64 does work well. I consider this problem to be a normal one encounter in BETA testing. Thanks as always for the help on this.
Enjoy life, Just Greg

kirk

#40 Post by kirk »

No, sometimes it would fail usually after a cold boot from power off. After reboot, the problem would not occur. However, if I used rfkill to block the wifi, then it would always work.

I added the sleep 3 to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it seems to have solve the issue. This works for both power on boot and reboot.
If booting with pfix=nox and then typing xwin did not always work, I would be surprised that adding the sleep would fix it. If you don't want the wpa_supplicant stuff to run right-click on wpa_gui and select Network Wizard. Then uncheck the box at the bottom. The Hal daemon thing is nothing to worry about.