Fatdog64-620beta1 (Thread closed)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-620beta1 (Thread closed)

#1 Post by kirk »

James and myself are happy to announce Fatdog64-620Beta1.

Updates:
* syslinux updated to 4.06
* e3 updated to 2.8
* package manager: show descriptions, search for packages
* drive-icon: option to redraw/re-order icons when it gets mangled by gparted
* update wpa_supplicant to 2.0
* lxpanel updated to 0.5.12
* Linux 3.7.7
* Seamonkey-2.15.1
* Flash_Player-11.2.202.261
* Update libbluray to git 1/25/13
* Update libaacs to git 1/25/13
* Update Libvpx to git 1/29/13
* Avidemux-020213
* Gparted-0.14.1
* MesaLib-9.0.2
* xf86-input-joystick-1.6.2
* xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.3
* xf86-input-wacom-0.18.0
* xf86-video-ati-7.1.0
* xf86-video-intel-2.21.0
* xf86-video-modesetting-0.6.0
* xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.6
* Dhcpcd-5.6.7
* Pburn-3.7.15

New Features:
* Supports UEFI and Secure Boot
* Dual isohybrid: one image for ISO and flash drive, and supports UEFI/non-UEFI in a single image.
* Refind 0.6.7 (thanks Rod) UEFI bootloader with shim from Matthew Garret (mjg59)
* Boot menu (thanks smokey01 for insisting on this :) )
* Experimental LVM support - support savefile on LVMs
* Experimental mdadm support - support savefile on mdadm linux software raid
* "Allow read-only access to other users" in event manager (thanks Barbol)
* wvdial options for Virgin Broadband (thanks rerwin)
* autochown daemon automatically keeps all files under Downloads folder always owned by spot
* supports dm-crypt encryption (in addition to cryptoloop)
* new encryption mode: savefile will be encrypted with dm-crypt (=LUKS) by default
(old cryptoloop savefile still recognised and will be loaded properly)
* "savefile" boot option now accepts directory (in addition to a real loop-mounted savefile).
The "+" option in savefile is no longer used, use "/" instead.
* new "dofsck" boot option: check filesystems before mounting. Ext2/3/4 and FAT only.
* User Mode Linux (UML) sandbox. Just add uml_utilities and linux_uml from the repo.
* Xournal for PDF annotation

and numerous bug fixes.

The iso is now 216MB, 10MB of that is due to the UEFI support.
the main SFS is still about 200MB.

As mentioned above, it is a dual hybrid iso. So if you want to make a bootable flash drive you have two options. You can use the Fatdog64 installer to make a flash drive that's bootable only on BIOS computers. Or you can dd the iso image directly to a flash drive and it will boot on BIOS and UEFI. However the flash drive will be wiped and will not be useful for anything other than booting Fatdog64. Assuming your flash drive is sdb and you open a terminal in the same directory as the iso, you would do this to image the flash drive:

Code: Select all

# dd if=./Fatdog64-620beta1 of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
Make sure that sdb is your flash drive! If you're not sure stop! This will wipe out whatever drive you point it to. And if your flash drive shows up with sdb and sdb1 partitions, you'll want to use sdb in the command above.
As always check the FAQs for questions.
They have had some updates. There's a page describing the adding of keys for secure boot. Make sure you use a new save file when testing or boot with savefile=none.

You can get it from ibiblio or it's mirrors:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/

Also, audio CDs, movie DVDs and movie BluRays are automatically opened by VLC now by clicking on the CD desktop icon. For blurays you will need to install keys.

BUG: If you choose to move your Downloads folder to a FAT or NTFS partition, you will need to disable autochown. Go to Control Panel and click on the System tab. Then click on 'Manage Servers and Services'. Select 'autochownd' and 'Stop' to stop it now and 'Disable' to have it not start on the next boot.

EDIT: There is a problem with Linux-3.7.7 and Samsung UEFI laptops that can cause them to brick. Fatdog64-620's next release will have Linux-3.7.9 which has that fixed.
EDIT2: Actually it's fixed in Linux-3.7.7 as long as you don't use the noefi boot parameter on a EFI Samsung laptop. And Beta2 will probably have 3.7.10.
Last edited by kirk on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 02:40, edited 5 times in total.

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

A couple other things:

One of my favorite new features is the save folder instead of a save file. My stuff is on sda6, so I just create a folder named /fd64save and use this savefile argument in grub :

savefile=direct:device:sda6:/fd64save

Now when I boot I don't have to create a save file and my save file only runs out of space when the partition is full. Of course you can name it what you like and put it elsewhere.

Frugal installs are not to bad after all with Windows 8 and secure boot. Pretty easy really. I'll make a FAQs document describing how to do it.

EDIT:
Here's the new FAQs page for dual booting with Windows 8:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... drive.html

-
Last edited by kirk on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

to.scared.to.say

#3 Post by to.scared.to.say »

For BluRay support you'll need this pet that contains the keys:

http://www.mydrive.ch/

user name: fatdog@to.scared.to.say
password: fatdog

It's in the test folder. It contains the latest KEYDB.cfg I can find and the latest vuk collection I can put together.

If you get an error then the BluRay is too new. The key file only supports up to MKB version 28.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

downloading now

:)

edit: running with savefile from 611 (temp), working ok, more later.....

gcmartin

Rdesktop

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Barry posted, today, about his PDesktop.

Here to help

prehistoric

#6 Post by prehistoric »

Running FD620 beta1 now. Installed Firefox 18.01 using package manager.

Good News: video comes up configured the way I want, using the nouveau driver for nVidia integrated graphics at 1280x1024 and 85 Hz vertical refresh. This prevented me from immediately testing the "difficult graphics cards" options. The messages seen during boot up are readable without any special options. I still have a problem reading text messages on shutdown without a magnifying glass. I'll remember to keep one handy.

aside: this video is a relief. My solution to the problem with nVidia and FD 610-611 had been to install a cheap ATI card which gave nice graphics. This week I needed that card in a machine where a friend required HDMI output to a large-screen TV. I've been putting up with annoying flicker for several days. I hope this version is stable, because I'm sorely tempted to move my email right now.

One strange problem discovered while installing Firefox was due to my impatience with the download. With the browser now about as large as John Murga's old credit card puplet the download takes a while even on decent broadband. (Faster broadband wouldn't help when ibiblio limits bandwidth.) The Fatdog package manager tells me close to nothing about what is going on, or how long to wait. The ancient wget window is sorely missed.

My simple solution was to go to another desktop and look at the size of the downloaded file in /tmp/fatdog64-packages. This showed me that something useful was really happening while I sat there. The surprise came when I switched back to the desktop with the Fatdog package manager -- both windows were blank. Minimizing and restoring them made no difference. A bug, but not any show-stopper. (Incidentally, while working on that UI, it would be a good idea to tell people they need to double click to mark packages for installation. I found this by trial and error.)

We also have improvement on hardware info. I now see that my temp1 is either 44 C (k8temp) or 6968 C (nouveau). I believe the first one, but I'll keep sunblock handy, just in case.

The checked box to move the Downloads folder to the hard disk is normally a good idea. I have to be careful because I'm running multiple versions of Fatdog and Puppy. Presently, I uncheck that box on installation, then link the existing directory myself after rebooting. I don't want to take a chance of losing all my present downloads. Am I being too cautious? Will FD 620 preserve an existing Downloads directory?

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

(Faster broadband wouldn't help when ibiblio limits bandwidth.)
Ibiblio does have mirrors:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/MIRRORS.html

I don't think they keep that list very up to date though. Some have good luck with this one:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/fatdog/

Will FD 620 preserve an existing Downloads directory?
Yes.

jamesbond

#8 Post by jamesbond »

To add to what kirk said: these are mirrors that are actively updated:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/fatdog/
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fatdog/
http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/fatdog/
he Fatdog package manager tells me close to nothing about what is going on, or how long to wait. The ancient wget window is sorely missed.
Yup, I feel your pain too. This will be improved in next release - it will show the % complete. And no more of UI freeze during download.
Incidentally, while working on that UI, it would be a good idea to tell people they need to double click to mark packages for installation. I found this by trial and error.
When you launch the FPM, this information is shown near the bottom of the screen.
We also have improvement on hardware info. I now see that my temp1 is either 44 C (k8temp) or 6968 C (nouveau). I believe the first one, but I'll keep sunblock handy, just in case.
:lol:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

LateAdopter

#9 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk & jamesbond

Thanks for this new fatdog.

I have just loaded fd 620 b1. Having done the basic setup and created the savefile I noticed that the power consumption was much too high.

autochown is taking 50% cpu load continuously. How should I stop it?

Thanks

prehistoric

#10 Post by prehistoric »

jamesbond wrote:...When you launch the FPM, this information is shown near the bottom of the screen...
I knew I got the idea from somewhere, but when I went looking for help that message had vanished because I had clicked on a line in the window, which brought up a package description that replaced it. I tried left and right click, and could have sworn I tried the spacebar. (Enter seemed too likely to do things with consequences I would find hard to undo.) It would be handy to have the message appear when I try something like a right click.

The user interface principle here is that you need to provide information at the point where it is to be used. Having it vanish at the moment a user selects a package works against this. Most new users are overwhelmed with information they can't use most of the time. People don't remember information they do not act upon. If you doubt me, consider the difference between riding somewhere as a passive passenger versus driving there yourself. In the first case I regularly get lost if I try to return alone.

People my age are constantly aware of having volatile memory. As a gentleman of my acquaintance said when a lady his age asked him if he ever thought about the hereafter: "All the time! Not a day goes by that I don't find myself in a room asking 'what am I here after?' "

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

autochown is taking 50% cpu load continuously. How should I stop it?
You can stop it by going to Control Panel and click on the System tab. Then click on 'Manage Servers and Services'. Select 'autochownd' and 'Stop' to stop it now and 'Disable' to have it not start on the next boot.

But, I would really like your help in finding out why this is happening. Does it eat 50% of cpu all of the time or when something else was happening? It usually showed 0% during my testing. Please open a terminal and do this:

find $(realpath /root/spot/Downloads)/. -type f | wc -l
That will tell us how many files are in Downloads. And then do this:

du -hs $(realpath /root/spot/Downloads)
That will tell us how much space is being used. Also, do you have something actively creating or deleting files in Downloads? Maybe a program installed there that is running or a database?

Thanks

LateAdopter

#12 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk

Thanks for the reply.

I don't do anything complicated with linux. I had just copied vmlinuz and initrd to the directory fd62b and put my usual fd 6xx entry in menu.lst. I had done the first reboot after creating the savefile. As far as possible I accepted the defaults for the savefile. I just set sda5 as the partition and put fd62b/ in front of the default filename.

I assumed that the problem might be to do with ownership on the FAT32 partition where fd620 is.

There are no problems with fd600 or fd611

The answers to your commands were

8.0K /aufs/devsave/fd62b/Downloads

If I navigate to that directory, the one file is ReadMe.html

In Rox filer the titlebar says "scanning" about twice a second and the cpu load has about doubled according to the task bar graph.

I hope this makes sense!

gcmartin

System Locks after desktop start for Multimedia

#13 Post by gcmartin »

Problem - The video subsystem locks the PC when the browser icon is click to start

Scenario - Boot FD620beta1 with Multimedia menu Option. Attempt to start a browser scabbles the screen and locks the system.

Edited: This is a subsequent edit. It is a ***CORRECTION*** to the prior report whete I due to a delay in the symptoms showing up, that ithe problem did not exist, where in fact, the problem exist in all menu items I have tested. Turns out that some are more immediate in locking the system than others.

This does happen when the nVidia menu and the LVM menu option is selected at boot Menu. It also happens with the very first boot menu option, as well.

This can happen on the very 1st time that the browser is opened or it can happen on subsequent browser opening, or, it can happen at anytime of browser use with opening a tab or opening another browser Window. This is being used on a system that has one of its RAM modules removed. but this system runs without issue with the 32bit PUPs that is has been tested with over past several weeks.

The system layout and report, is attached for development review.
Attachments
Hardinfo System Report.tar.gz
Hardinfo report of the system which locks when the browser is started
(9.42 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#14 Post by kirk »

LateAdopter,

Your Downloads folder is on a fat32 partition? Yes, that's the problem. We will need to disable autochown for any case where the Downloads folder is on a non-linux partition. I'm not sure how well the Downloads folder is going to work on a non-linux partition anyway. Have you tried turning on the samba server and sharing files from your Downloads folder in the past?

Thanks again, that's a good bug to squash.

gcmartin,

Do you mean "Fatdog64 with multisession support" is giving you the video problems? And the normal boot (first boot option) is working?

smokey01

#15 Post by smokey01 »

Loving the save to directory choice.

OMG it's fast to load, under 10 seconds.

A couple of small things:
mhwaveedit and notecase icons are missing in the menu, they just need .png or .xpm added to the filename.

Xournal needs it's run action changed to xournal.

Very nice so far.

kirk

#16 Post by kirk »

Great, thanks Smokey!

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

kirk/jamesbond.

When switching from openbox to jwm, all seems ok however, when switching back to openbox, lxpanel does not start.

Cheers

ally

#18 Post by ally »

hey jamesbond/kirk

beta1 running well on a lenovo t61, I have been trying to convert my son to puppy on his acer 8735g which currently run win7 64 VERY badly - really slow and constant problems

I have tried the new beta but the system runs really hot (all previous puppy versions would stop within a minute overheating) this kernel seems to be better but runs uncomfortably hot

details: acer 8935g, core2duo T6600, intel mobile 4 chipset, AMD ATI RV730XT graphics

why would puppy/fatdog cause problems? running an anti-x build ok to get system info??

cheers

ally :)

ps - when fatdog running it's amazing quick!

smokey01

#19 Post by smokey01 »

The get LibreOffice downloader/installer won't download ver 4.0.0.0

It works fine for 3.6.5.

I have tried micko's version 23 and it didn't work either. Complains it can't get package info.

irishrm

#20 Post by irishrm »

Hi kirk-jamesbond:

Did a USB install on my Acer5750.
I'm afraid I'm stuck with my wl driver problem again.
The wl driver couldn't be activated in services.

Followed the steps you helped me with in 611 (pages 1.2) which were successful.
Installed Broadcom-wl.pet.
Re-booted:
The wl driver showed up as activated in services but would not connect.
It does not show in network wizard.

Did this just to check:

modprobe lib80211
modprobe cfg80211
insmod /usr/share/broadcom/wl.ko

It told me that broadcom/wl was installed already.

Don't know if you can help but I would like to keep up to date with fatdog.

irishrm.