How to simply add custom temporary entries to puppy Menu

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

How to simply add custom temporary entries to puppy Menu

#1 Post by watchdog »

For the correct way see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63006

I don't like this difficult way. I'm lazy and I would keep it simple. I just edit /root/.jwmrc and restart jwm. The problem is that when you reboot o restart X somewhere the fixmenus script is recalled and you'll loose your custom entries. So I have renamed /usr/sbin/fixmenus as /usr/sbin/fixmenus.new. Now you'll mantain your Menu custom entries in .jwmrc: just restart jwm after a new entry is added. When you install a new package with a Menu-entry you'll have to run fixmenus.new loosing your custom entries in .jwmrc. No problem: just reenter them (I hope few custom entries) in .jwmrc.

Monsie

Re: How to simply add custom temporary entries to puppy Menu

#2 Post by Monsie »

watchdog wrote:For the correct way see:

I don't like this difficult way. I'm lazy and I would keep it simple. I just edit /root/.jwmrc and restart jwm. The problem is that when you reboot o restart X somewhere the fixmenus script is recalled and you'll loose your custom entries. So I have renamed /usr/sbin/fixmenus as /usr/sbin/fixmenus.new. Now you'll mantain your Menu custom entries in .jwmrc: just restart jwm after a new entry is added. When you install a new package with a Menu-entry you'll have to run fixmenus.new loosing your custom entries in .jwmrc. No problem: just reenter them (I hope few custom entries) in .jwmrc.
See the Puppy Wiki entry by darkcity: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JWMMenuCategory It provides a simpler explanation and procedure (than provided by kamato) which would probably suit most users.

watchdog, why are you not running fixmenus command after editing your .jwmrc file, but before restarting JWM? Does this not work for you? Maybe you could provide a specific example of how you have been modifying your menu in Puppy.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

See the Puppy Wiki entry by darkcity: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JWMMenuCategory It provides a simpler explanation and procedure (than provided by kamato) which would probably suit most users.

watchdog, why are you not running fixmenus command after editing your .jwmrc file, but before restarting JWM? Does this not work for you? Maybe you could provide a specific example of how you have been modifying your menu in Puppy.
If I say the truth I don't use this method: I prefer just links to the desktop to launch my custom scripts. But I have realized the way to make entries in puppy Menu to launch fron Menu these scripts without having to follow the tiring exact procedure involving /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. I give an example. I could edit /root/.jwmrc in wary 5.3 to make an entry for a script to launch the new 2.15.2 seamonkey browser preloading some libraries. An extract of /root/.jwmrc could be:

Code: Select all

<Program label="Pwsget secure file downloader" icon="pwget.png">pwsget</Program>
<Program label="SeaMonkey mail and news" icon="seamonkey16.xpm">mozmail</Program>
<Program label="SeaMonkey web browser" icon="seamonkey16.xpm">mozilla</Program>
<Program label="SeaMonkey 2.15.2 web browser" icon="seamonkey16.xpm">/root/my-documents/Downloads/s2.15.2/seamonkey2.15.2</Program>
<Program label="Secure ssh remote login" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">securetelnetshell</Program>
<Program label="Ssh-gui secure remote login" icon="mini-sh1.xpm">ssh-gui</Program>
Restarting jwm I have the new entry in the Menu. But if fixmenus in invoked (at reboot, restarting X, or manually at terminal) the entry disappears because I did not follow the correct way of editing Menu involving /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc from which is created a new /root/.jwmrc. But I repeat: I don't use this method, I just make links to the desktop.

L18L

#4 Post by L18L »

watchdog wrote:For the correct way see:

I don't like this difficult way. I'm lazy and I would keep it simple. I just edit /root/.jwmrc and restart jwm. The problem is that when you reboot o restart X somewhere the fixmenus script is recalled and you'll loose your custom entries. ...
What you are calling "correct" and "difficult" is NOT temporary.
So why do call it "problem" when you restart or reboot?
Or am I not understanding the meaning of "temporary" :?: :roll:

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

Or am I not understanding the meaning of "temporary" :?: :roll:
"Temporary" because when you install a new package with Menu-entry you do have to run fixmenus (fixmenus.new in my case) to see the entry in puppy Menu: at the same time the "temporary" entries in puppy menu inserted by editing only .jwmrc disappear.