Does Puppy do Mount All on initial boot?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Laurie Tedcastle

Does Puppy do Mount All on initial boot?

#1 Post by Laurie Tedcastle »

Running Precise 5.4.3

I have the following line in my /etc/fstab
/dev/sda11 /mnt/data ext3 auto,rw 0 0

When the desktop is displayed the mount icon briefly flashes for sda11, but the partition is not mounted.

If I use ROX to walk down the filesystem it seems to do an auto mount and passes through /mnt/data into the directories below, however other applications run immediately after an initial boot stall at /data and won't walk down the directory tree as they don't seem to manage to get an auto mount.

Is this a bug or is there some other syntax to get sda11 mounted on boot? As a fix, I'm considering putting 'mount /dev/sdall' in somewhere like rc.local to get sda11 mounted.

Laurie

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi Laurie Tedcastle

this might help http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50845
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Laurie Tedcastle

#3 Post by Laurie Tedcastle »

666philb,

Thanks for the information. I'm still puzzled as to why Puppy should behave differently to other distros, at least according to my Linux books.

I solved the immediate problem by putting a mount command in rc.local

Laurie

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Some people like to automount all partitions at startup.

Some people, like me, don't. I operate in a dual boot environment with Windows. When I boot Puppy I do not want to mount Windows partitions. It is an added level of security to NOT mount. Malware has an extra hurdle to overcome if it wants to write to my PC.

quote:
I'm still puzzled as to why Puppy should behave differently to other distros, at least according to my Linux books.
unquote

I'm puzzled why you think Puppy should behave like those distros. Puppy is different in lots of ways, by design. That's what makes it Puppy.

Laurie Tedcastle

#5 Post by Laurie Tedcastle »

ICPUG

Thanks for your input. I have 11 partitions on this disk, some with other operating systems - others for data. I choose not to put any data on the same partitions as operating systems. Hence I wanted to automatically load a specific data partition each time I boot Puppy and so explicitly attempted to do that by putting an entry in /etc/fstab , but it seems that Puppy doesn't process that entry properly - why?

I understand that each Linux distro is going to have differences to others, else there would be no point in there being more than one. I do think it reasonable to have behavior, that is significantly different to the norm, to spelled out somewhere otherwise everyone would have to go through a long cycle of obtaining many distros, loading and testing to find one with the required features.

I was hoping to get an answer in this forum as why an entry in /etc/fstab is not processed - so far no-one has a reason.

Laurie

ICPUG

#6 Post by ICPUG »

Ah - you don't really want to mount all your partitions. You want to mount a specific one automatically at start up. That makes sense.

I think you have your own answer and the one provided by 666philb to do that job.

I would suggest a new post about the new query of why an entry in /etc/fstab is not processed. This may draw the right people to answer - they need to know the innards of the Puppy start sequence!

Laurie Tedcastle

#7 Post by Laurie Tedcastle »

ICPUG

Thanks for your suggestion. I've looked at several of the log files but couldn't identify any entries that related to the processing of /etc/fstab. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place!

Just wondering now, where is the best place to post the question?

Laurie

ICPUG

#8 Post by ICPUG »

I think here is probably the right forum but the post needs a better title to reflect the real query.

How about:

Problem processing /etc/fstab entries

amigo

#9 Post by amigo »

Laurie Tedcastle, probably your best bet is an entry in rc.local. The idea that Puppy would do something that all other distros do is a no-go -even when that makes the most sense. We certainly wouldn't want anything like that.... simply makes too much good sense for Puppy.

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

automounting is implemented at some Puppy derivates like Lighthousepup 4.43 ..

A small snipplet with

Code: Select all

mount -a
in /root/Startup should do if the entries in /etc/fstab are done properly .
Besides that there are normally the icons for the partitions on the desktop to mount them .

I prefer not to automount since every single mount increases the mount count and thus the warnings that there are some fsck (filesystemchecks) needed in the /tmp/bootkernel.log file .

Puppy is lightweight using /bin/busybox for example and thus missing the runlevel features as the big linux distros have that are using /etc/rc.[S0-6] folders .

I see Puppy Linux as a motor cycle while the big distros might be lorries .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

L18L

Re: Does Puppy do Mount All on initial boot?

#11 Post by L18L »

So answers to that question are:

No.
Yes, if you append

Code: Select all

mount -a
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local (I have tested this successfully)

[SOLVED] :?: :wink: