BareBones Puppies & BABYies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

..and do you have a recommended lightweight mp3/wav player? (no fancy features required - although the ability to add new files to the currently playing stack while the first one is playing would be handy). Thx!

jrb

#22 Post by jrb »

greengeek wrote:..and do you have a recommended lightweight mp3/wav player? (no fancy features required - although the ability to add new files to the currently playing stack while the first one is playing would be handy). Thx!
Yeah, :D I've just uploaded my configured version of tempestuous' xhippo-3.5-gtk2, xhippo-3.5-gtk2-jrb-0.2.pet. Definitely not fancy but it plays mp3's, wav's, mid's and au's in the BareBones Puppies. If you want ogg's, flacs, or anything else you'll have to add a command line player for those and then change /usr/local/etc/xhippo.config. Easy to do and obvious once you open the file.

I've also set it up in the .pet to be the defaultaudioplayer.

You can drag a folder full of audio files into the play area and it will play them all, either sequentially of randomly, your pick. You can also drag a new song into the play area while another is playing and it will be played as soon as the first song is done.

At 128K installed its very lightweight.

sheldonisaac

Re: BareBones Puppies & BABYies

#23 Post by sheldonisaac »

(much snipping)
jrb wrote:.. I just uploaded racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso
This one comes in at 68MB thanks to the magic of BK's babybuild and XZ compression which I forgot to use before. As above it may not run on your hardware (although it runs on all of mine).
Thanks a lot, jrb!
My first time with any racy. Having a "depression mentality" (born in 1934), I like small. This is a new (to me, as of last year) Dell Latitude D610, from about 2005.
So far all I've done is frugal install, 256MB savefile, Opera 12.02 by way of bootmanager sfs file.

Coming from a Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 background, I appreciated the familar JWM interface.

I'm looking forward to follow up on some of the information in this thread.

Thanks again,
Sheldon

sheldonisaac

libavdevice.so.53

#24 Post by sheldonisaac »

I tried to run Pmusic 3.12, but there's no sound when I click an mp3 file.

I did ffmpeg --version and got
fmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.53: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Sheldon

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

jrb wrote:I've just uploaded my configured version of tempestuous' xhippo-3.5-gtk2, xhippo-3.5-gtk2-jrb-0.2.pet
Thanks, tidy little mp3 player. I just click on a song and xhippo opens up without any delay - nice! Unfortunately drag 'n drop didn't work for me though on WaryBABYbones (EDIT: silly me - its actually RacyBABYbones that I'm using) but not a biggy as it lets me right click the play area and add songs or a folder that way.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

Re: libavdevice.so.53

#26 Post by jrb »

sheldonisaac wrote:I tried to run Pmusic 3.12, but there's no sound when I click an mp3 file.

I did ffmpeg --version and got
fmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.53: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,
Glad to see you're open to new ideas. Unfortunately in the world of Linux things change fast. :shock: As you know Puppy is always based on other distros packages, ubuntu, slackware, etc. Racy and Wary are based on T2 packages which are very efficiently put together allowing very small size. This is good but T2 isn't updated very often which means sometimes they fall quite a bit behind the other linux distros. This is the case here. When I try to install Pmusic312 and run it from the command line this is what I get

Code: Select all

# pmusic
grep: /root/.pmusic/pmusicrc: No such file or directory
/usr/local/pmusic/func_config: line 35: /root/.pmusic/tmp/window_title: No such file or directory
xwininfo: error: No window with name "" exists!
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

aplay: playback:2297: read error
/usr/local/pmusic/pmusic: line 459: 13043 Aborted                 $GTKDIALOG -f $WORKDIR/xml_pmusic${XML_SUFFIX} -G +"$X"+"$Y" 2>$STDERR

Gtkdialog failed to run the pMusic frontend
Please execute 'pmusic -D' to check all dependencies.

Killed
# pmusic -D
  R E Q U I R E D                            
    bash                                      [OK]
    coreutils, awk, sed, diff                 [OK]
    gtkdialog                        >= 0.8.3 [MISSING]
    ffmpeg                           >= 0.11  [??]
    aplay  (alsa)                             [OK]

R E C O M M E N D E D                      
    streamripper (extended radio-rip/play)    [MISSING]
    cdda2wav     (play/rip audio-CD)          [OK]
    wget         (connection to www)          [OK]

O P T I O N A L                            
    pBurn        (burning audio-CD)           [OK]
    pFilesearch  (File-search engine) >= 1.28 [OK]
    pSchedule    (podcast managing)   >= 1.12 [MISSING]
    pEqualizer   (10 band equalizer)          [MISSING]

# gtkdialog -v  
gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor
gtkdialog >= 0.8.3 [MISSING] is the big one. It means we aren't going to run Pmusic312 in this version of Racy. Time to uninstall

However after updating the file lists in PPM, I see that pmusic267 is available ( I also checked the Pmusic thread on the forum). After installing and running at commandline I get:

pmusic -D
  R E Q U I R E D                            
    bash                                      [OK]
    coreutils, awk, sed, diff                 [OK]
    gtkdialog                        >= 0.8.0 [OK]
    ffmpeg                           >= 0.8   [??]
    aplay  (alsa)                             [OK]

R E C O M M E N D E D                      
    streamripper (extended radio-rip/play)    [MISSING]
    cdda2wav     (play/rip audio-CD)          [OK]
    wget         (connection to www)          [OK]

O P T I O N A L                            
    Pburn        (burning audio-CD)           [OK]
    pFilesearch  (File-search engine) >= 1.28 [OK]
    Pschedule    (podcast managing)           [OK]
    pEqualizer   (10 band equalizer)          [MISSING]
This is better since we have gtkdialog version 0.8.0. After installing ffmpeg-20111002-w5c.pet from the package manager we find that we still need lame-398-2-w5c.pet to run. With these installed it works.

Whew! I'm afraid the PuppyPackageManager isn't always good about listing dependencies. This is partly because there are so many different versions and so many different contributors. Oh well, makes life interesting. :lol:

Cheers, J

sheldonisaac

Re: libavdevice.so.53 etc

#27 Post by sheldonisaac »

Many thanks, jrb. I've bookmarked your message to read more thoroughly.

Meanwhile, I tip my hat to you for working on this.

There's a lot that you developers know and do that we users don't, plainly!

jrb

#28 Post by jrb »

I just appended some notes to the end of first post about Printing and PDF files.

anikin

#29 Post by anikin »

Hi jrb,

Racy babybarebones fails to boot. It 'pauses' saying 'can't find puppy_racy_5.3.sfs'. Frugal install on an ext4 sd card, pfix=ram.

darkcity

#30 Post by darkcity »

These version are very useful. I've added a note on the WIki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Barebones

jrb

#31 Post by jrb »

anikin wrote:Hi jrb,

Racy babybarebones fails to boot. It 'pauses' saying 'can't find puppy_racy_5.3.sfs'. Frugal install on an ext4 sd card, pfix=ram.
Right you are anikin. Must have been a bad upload (that's my story...). :lol:

I've reuploaded with my retested home copy, then I downloaded it, put it on a usb and booted a computer. Should be good to go.

Cheers, J

Pelo

MTpaint

#32 Post by Pelo »

I would'nt have guessed that it will be MTpaint the hardest to install.
Yesterday i failed. Gimp is ok.
Have you some help to give me about installing MTpaint on Racy Barebones ?

Merci beaucoup.

jrb

Re: MTpaint

#33 Post by jrb »

Pelo wrote:I would'nt have guessed that it will be MTpaint the hardest to install.
Yesterday i failed. Gimp is ok.
Have you some help to give me about installing MTpaint on Racy Barebones ?

Merci beaucoup.
Hi Pelo,

This is a good example of how to reinstall a program! 8)

First I went to /root/.packages/woof-installed-removed. This is a list of the packages that I took out of the original Racy-5.3. Scrolling down we find:
mtpaint-3.40-w5c|mtpaint|3.40-w5c||Graphic|464K||mtpaint-3.40-w5c.pet|+gtk+,+jasper,+lcms,+libtiff|A simple GTK+ painting program|puppy|wary5||
This tells us that mtpaint needs "+gtk+,+jasper,+lcms,+libtiff" to run.

I'm too impatient to look for all these dependencies first and besides sometimes there are dependencies not listed. So I go to the Puppy Package Manager (PPM) and type mtpaint into the find window and click Go. Up comes mtpaint-3.40-w5c which I install.

Now I open a terminal, (console on the desktop) and type in "mtpaint". This is the message I get:

# mtpaint
mtpaint: error while loading shared libraries: libjasper.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Aha! Jasper is missing. So I type jasper into the PPM. Up comes jasper-1.900.1-w5c.pet which I install. Now when I type "mtpaint" into the terminal the program starts. Yay! :D

Of course to be thorough I should track down those other dependencies and make sure they are really there, but of course I just start using the program. If I have problems I'll look for them then.

This is how to reinstall. If you're installing something from scratch you do it the same way but you can't look up the dependencies as easily. You can use the terminal the same way and it will tell you whats missing step by step. Or you can find the program executable, like /usr/bin/mtpaint (listed in /root/.packages/mtpaint-3.40-w5c.files) open a terminal in /usr/bin and type ldd mtpaint. This will list all dependencies and flag the missing ones.

That's the process. Hope it works for you. Cheers, J

anikin

#34 Post by anikin »

jrb wrote:I've reuploaded with my retested home copy, then I downloaded it, put it on a usb and booted a computer. Should be good to go.
Still no go, still pausing. Will it run on ext4 at all?

jrb

#35 Post by jrb »

anikin wrote:
jrb wrote:I've reuploaded with my retested home copy, then I downloaded it, put it on a usb and booted a computer. Should be good to go.
Still no go, still pausing. Will it run on ext4 at all?
I just setup the copy I downloaded into a frugal on an ext4 drive and it booted no problem.

Have you checked the md5sum of your downloaded ISO?

# md5sum ./racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso
a3c0f41e3172e8d2701ff93c47cf8a5b  ./racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso

anikin

#36 Post by anikin »

Hi jrb,

Did manage to tame the baby. But, (and it's a big but) it still can't boot from an ext4 SD card. However, it boots from a fat32 pendrive. With a pause, but boots. No go on ext4 even after a long pause. The SD card has been formatted thusly:
https://blogofterje.wordpress.com/2012/ ... n-sd-card/
Later on I will test it on an ext2 partition. Just don't have one at the moment.

Thank you for your time jrb.

e_mattis

Question on Racy barebones

#37 Post by e_mattis »

Hey all,

I'm trying out the Racy barebones and have a program that uses dbus. My problem is that when I start the program, it tells me 'DBUS error: Make sure DBUS session message bus is running' :(

I've looked around and tried a few things, including reloading dbus pets, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas on how to get the session message bus running? Same program works well in Racy and Precise, so I figure it is something that got removed to save space. :o

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

E

jrb

Re: Question on Racy barebones

#38 Post by jrb »

e_mattis wrote:Hey all,

I'm trying out the Racy barebones and have a program that uses dbus. My problem is that when I start the program, it tells me 'DBUS error: Make sure DBUS session message bus is running' :(

I've looked around and tried a few things, including reloading dbus pets, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas on how to get the session message bus running? Same program works well in Racy and Precise, so I figure it is something that got removed to save space. :o

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

E
Hi E,

Sorry to take so long getting to your question. Must have got distracted by Valentines Day (too much chocolate). :lol: If you can let me know what program you're trying to get running and possibly a download link I'll have a try at getting it running.

Cheers, J

e_mattis

#39 Post by e_mattis »

Hey jrb,

Yea, the chocolate conspiracy :lol: mmmmm....

Thanks for responding. I think I have it now. I d/l the dbus_glib and dbus_permissive pets (sorry, don't remember where I got them, think it was in the ibiblio repo/puppy 4?) amd re-installed the program (efax). It seems to work now.

Sorry I forgot to update the post earlier, like you said, the valentine's monster :oops: :D

Anyway, love the options available with the barebones! thanks a bunch!

BTW, also working with precise BB - remaster giving me a fit! if I try to replace the /tmp/root files with files from my /root, it tells me there's not enough space on the device :roll: - i'm using a 100GB drive and a personal storage of 2GB ; the entire remaster is only about 353MB on disk :shock: ; shouldn't be a problem i would think. :? Anyway, do you know if there is a problem with the precise remaster? Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

E

jrb

#40 Post by jrb »

e_mattis wrote:BTW, also working with precise BB - remaster giving me a fit! if I try to replace the /tmp/root files with files from my /root, it tells me there's not enough space on the device :roll: - i'm using a 100GB drive and a personal storage of 2GB ; the entire remaster is only about 353MB on disk :shock: ; shouldn't be a problem i would think. :? Anyway, do you know if there is a problem with the precise remaster? Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

E
I just booted up precise barebones and ran through the remaster procedure. It worked OK for me. I didn't add too much but had no problem copying files from /root to /tmp/root. 2GB should be more than enough personal storage. You say you have a 100GB hard drive. Have you checked how much free space you have on it? Menu-Filesystem-Utilities-Partview

I'm calling it a night now. Will check this thread tomorrow.

Bye for now, J