Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 10:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
[SOLVED] Which Puppy for this tiny computer?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 21:49    Post subject:  

A bit more detail --

The screen at the tech shop that I've been using, initially only worked in text mode -- graphics mode would make it go to "this isn't a recognizable signal so I'mma take a nap now" mode. I switched a setting in BIOS (forget now which one) and it worked in graphics mode... but...

Tech shop dude didn't have a PS/2 splitter. This board has one PS/2 port, with the pins that wouldn't be used for keyboard clock/data signals used as mouse clock/data signals. A very common arrangement, that, found on elderly laptops and other small boards quite often.

I don't have a splitter either.

So I was using a PS/2 keyboard and a COMport mouse. I had a Puplite5 CD with me at the time, and it refused to recognize the mouse -- it would go through xorgwizard or to xvesa just fine, but the cursor wouldn't budge.

Mouse is known good.

I've ordered the PS/2 splitter from eBay as of yesterday. Should get here sometime next week -- it's being sent cheap, meaning slowish, meaning First Class Mail.

BTW, the USB ports --all two of them-- are on a slightly strange header. It's standard except for the pitch -- most headers are 2.54mm / 0.1" -- this one is 2mm pitch with smaller pins, so a regular dongle won't fit the header. How wonderfully special Rolling Eyes I have someone on my other forum making me a USB dongle, but it's not here yet.

starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013, 20:36    Post subject:  

I broke down and ordered the Commell-issue riser from a US distributor named Global American Inc. -- they are quite friendly and helpful! The other official US distributor of Commell products is BWI (Bill West Inc) and they were just shy of rude to me on the phone, where Global American was as helpful as they could be (which wasn't much, but it sure wasn't for lack of trying!)

It cost $12.50 or so, plus a ridiculous amount for shipping because Global American is a UPS loyalist Rolling Eyes I could put a stump speech up here about the Postal Service vs other carriers, but I'm not going to waste my keystrokes with that. Everyone who's going to have an opinion on the matter already has one.

So that will be here sometime in the evening tomorrow. (UPS Ground isn't usually this fast... dunno what's up with that.)

Then it's time to test my PCI graphics card. Fun!

Yogi

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 19:21    Post subject:  

This might help decide your choice:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84271
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:48    Post subject:  

Just opened the box with the PCI riser in it, from Global American. I don't know how they can get away with charging $25 normally for this, PLUS the $14 and change shipping.

I was lucky -- I knew about a British company selling the same thing for eight quid. Global was willing to price-match, but $12.53 is still a bit much for what would cost $5 on eBay if it was available there.

For those interested, a half-pound (if that) box from New Hampshire (Global American) to North Carolina (me) cost $14.11 via UPS.

All of that said, I'm about to fire it up and see what happens.

@Yogi -- I'm pretty sure I said this in an earlier post of this thread (could be wrong -- a quick look back and I can't put my eyes to it)...

But I really want to stick with Puppy. I haven't used any other Linux in YEARS. Like two. (When I did, it was Ubuntu. No thanks!) I feel at home with Puppy; it's very familiar. I don't get that anywhere else, and I don't want to have to start over with another distro. Puppy is good for my health Laughing

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 21:33    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
I don't know how they can get away with charging $25 normally for this, PLUS the $14 and change shipping.:

It probably sat on a shelf in a warehouse for years. Warehouse space isn't free, and neither are people competent enough to find that old part, box it up and ship it to you. Be happy that someone had what you were looking for, that it was correctly entered in an online catalog and that it was sent to you without mistake and in good shape. Smile
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 21:58    Post subject:  

Fair enough.

By the way, folks...

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!

Proof of function is attached. I'm using Puplite 5.0 here.

Be warned: my biggest talent is to turn anything into a blurry mess using only a camera Razz

Current system specs --
Spare 12v 60w power brick (AC-DC adapter -- sorry guys, it does not make music)
Commell LE-370Z / LE-370CM6 Motherboard (two names, one board, no identity crises somehow)
Celeron M ULV 600MHz, integrated
1G PC3200 RAM @ 266MHz (board is downclocking for no good reason)
PNY Verto FX5500 PCI graphics card
random spare laptop Combo Drive (optical drive) -- no HDD yet!
random spare 50mm fan (heatsink is intended to be fanless, which is very very stupid!)

Screen at the moment is an eMachines-branded eView 17F2 CRT. Very heavy Shocked but very functional!

I'm using the nv driver included with this version of Puplite. I guess "nouveau" was the one that was full of bugs and eventually dropped?

A note about the fan -- when idling, fanless, the temp is around 50 C. (The chip is rated to 100 C -- you can boil water with it!) Right now, with the noisy-but-effective fan... Puplite5 reports 15-16 C. I think I'll keep the fan Wink

Also, considering Puplite took its sweet time loading into RAM... I think I don't want to bother with trying jejy69's GNOME232 Puppy. No, I can't add more RAM or faster RAM -- the board really only goes up to 1GB and PC2700 (333MHz) speeds. Not sure why it's downclocking to 266MHz ( = PC2100 RAM) when the stick in there is PC3200 ( = 400MHz)... but it is. Hmmm.
its-alive.jpg
 Description   Screenshot :D
 Filesize   61.43 KB
 Viewed   327 Time(s)

its-alive.jpg

starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 00:07    Post subject:  

Tried a copy of tigerpup that I got from rhadon (thanks dude!) -- I get a consistent kernel panic. (Something must be scaring the corn inside Laughing )

I'll test that ISO another time on another system.

About to try PAW RC2. Next will be Racy 530 unless it's PAE (I don't remember).

EDIT: I think my CD drive needs a lens clean Sad I'm gonna go do that and report back what happens. Also Racy 530 is PAE so no-go Sad

Monsie

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 05:02    Post subject: Which Puppy for this tiny computer?  

Quote:
No, I can't add more RAM or faster RAM -- the board really only goes up to 1GB and PC2700 (333MHz) speeds. Not sure why it's downclocking to 266MHz ( = PC2100 RAM) when the stick in there is PC3200 ( = 400MHz)... but it is. Hmmm.

Have you checked the settings in the bios to see whether you can set a specific ram clock and/or timing? Your ram setting(s) might be set to "Auto" in which case you might be able to select "SPD" serial presence detect. If so, this could give you the proper configuration, because the bios may detect additional info from the ram module.

BTW are you going to try Wary on this machine?

Monsie

starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 13:03    Post subject:  

I'll try Wary later Wink Want to see if I can get Akita working, at least.

I'll see what I can do about SPD. That's something new to me -- but it sounds safe to try, so try it I will.

EDIT: didn't realize I had wary 5.3 archived. Burning a CD-RW of it shortly -- let's see if a lens clean fixed my drive!

starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 13:58    Post subject:  

Known-good (previously used) CD-R of Wary 530 produced: same exact symptoms as the other four or so attempts.

Let's try cleaning the drive in the Commell test-rig then Wink

EDIT: SPD is enabled already, BTW -- the other choice is manual settings. No thanks!

prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 15:47    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
...EDIT: SPD is enabled already, BTW -- the other choice is manual settings. No thanks!
What!? And, here I had you pegged as someone who likes a challenge. Wink
starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2013, 15:49    Post subject:  

There's a point at which a wise endurance becomes a foolish persistence.

I reached that point with the graphics. Hence the PCI card.

I will not go past that point with the RAM and potentially muck up both memory and mainboard Wink

starhawk

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2013, 18:30    Post subject:  

HEY EVERYBODY

Went back to the computer shop today, and learned two things --

(1) I can't troubleshoot to save my own butt, and
(2) it was a defective power brick the whole dang time.

This has been fixed. I will now proceed to test Linuxes (Linuces?) of the youthful canine variety Wink

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013, 03:32    Post subject:  

No, your troubleshooting was perfect. You positively identified all the things it wasn't before confirming exactly what it was.

Thats how it's done.
Smile
starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:51    Post subject:  

Power supply is one of the first things to check when the symptoms are all over the map.

BTW, the one spare supply I had that might've worked with this board...

...doesn't work Sad

So I'm still dead in the water, till I can get a 12v "laptop" brick that's got some oomph to it -- 60w isn't enough with the graphics card Sad

Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: