Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
mavrothal

#161 Post by mavrothal »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
All seems working as well as possible for me but I am always getting strange things in xerrs.log!
Don't know if this is my own configuration which is the cause of that and if it is really important?
I also got those but I thought it was because I was trying it on Archpup.
It is like is trying to connect after it is connected.

BTW The frisbee and network_tray pets and optionaly dhcpcd-dropwait, should be sufficient to make it work in any distro right?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

Upgraded frisbee and networy_tray packages

#162 Post by rerwin »

Argolance wrote:All seems working as well as possible for me but I am always getting strange things in xerrs.log!
Don't know if this is my own configuration which is the cause of that and if it is really important?
Argolance,
Yes, it is important. It is one of the problems I fixed in frisbee-1.0-20130212, which I have uploaded to replace "0209", here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 092#684092

Thanks for testing 0209 and reporting your experience with it. It now seems ready to recommend to Barry for the alpha, or addition to the repo.

On the network_tray side, I have corrected and improved it for dialup. I provide a set of icons for wireless (cellphone system) modems as well as analog/wireline icons, currently defaulted to the wireless set created by 01micko. It will take an external script to switch between the dialup types, which I plan to add soon.

Also, I reworked the "networkdead" icons to add ones for wireless and dialup. For all of them I changed the red "prohibited" overlay symbol to an X, to conform to the existing "dead" icon. The wireless dead icon is displayed if there is no wired ethernet hardware present; if both are down, the ethernet icon will display. The dialup dead icon will display after disconnecting from a call if neither wireless nor ethernet are active, until either of those becomes active.
Richard

UPDATE 2/14/2013: Re-uploaded the network_tray package which now uses icons derived from the current puppy "globe-and-terminal" icons. This is consistent with making frisbee an part of puppy -- integrating it.

UPDATE 2/15/2013: Re-uploaded the network_tray package and matching source tarball, to make small improvements to some of the icons. Added internationalized script, modemiconset, to select analog or wireless dialup icons -- see its --help for details. For now, run it from a console.
Attachments
network_tray-2.6-20130215.pet
Network_tray package with "integrated" icons
(10.25 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
network_tray-2.6-20130215.tar.gz
Network_tray source tarball with "integrated" icons.
No source code changes from 20130211 tarball.
(13.15 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 02:58, edited 7 times in total.

rerwin

#163 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal wrote:BTW The frisbee and network_tray pets and optionaly dhcpcd-dropwait, should be sufficient to make it work in any distro right?
The network_tray and dhcpcd-dropwait functions are compiled, so are subject to whatever constraints there are in migrating between distros. But, I would think they should work in recent 32-bit puppies. The frisbee package is constrained only by accompanying them with the 3 architecture fix packages that are in the 5.5 alphas. (Actually, you need only the woof_update and wag_profiles packages.) If a puppy was created with a recent woof tool, the architecture packages should work with it, too.

If you want to be sure about frisbee and archpup, please obtain a difference (diff) listings of the files in the "woof_updates" package, compared to the versions in archpup, and PM the listings to me. I don't know what archpup is derived from, so would need to see the difference listings.
Richard

mavrothal

#164 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:
mavrothal wrote:BTW The frisbee and network_tray pets and optionaly dhcpcd-dropwait, should be sufficient to make it work in any distro right?
The network_tray and dhcpcd-dropwait functions are compiled, so are subject to whatever constraints there are in migrating between distros. But, I would think they should work in recent 32-bit puppies. The frisbee package is constrained only by accompanying them with the 3 architecture fix packages that are in the 5.5 alphas. (Actually, you need only the woof_update and wag_profiles packages.) If a puppy was created with a recent woof tool, the architecture packages should work with it, too.
Actually Archpup is not Woof based and has only a couple of puppy scripts outside the initrd!
However, Frisbee works fine (the strange messages I reported were with 20130207 but 20130212 is clean)
So I gues I'm asking what else frisbee would need to work say in Fedora :o
So far I have gtkdialog gtkdialog-splash, ipinfo and optionally network_tary and dhcpdh.
I just wonder if I miss something else.

One minor problem I got is with ipinfo actually where format of the interfaces tab is messed up.
I guess is something with gtkdialog. The other tabs look OK

All I get in terminal is the warning

Code: Select all

Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 5 char 50: 'UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST' is not a valid name: ',' 
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#165 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:One minor problem I got is with ipinfo actually where format of the interfaces tab is messed up.
I guess is something with gtkdialog. The other tabs look OK
Hi Mav

I think that is because the output from ifconfig or iwconfig (I forget which) is formatted differently on Archpup and ipinfo can't parse it correctly.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Argolance

#166 Post by Argolance »

Hello rerwin,
Now, xerrs.log is clean! :D
The added "gettexted" items seems working too. Nevertheless, one is still missing (Please see attached picture).

About Network-tray improvements: Although they are much better in my opinion, I am not convinced by these xpm new icons... However, may I suggest rounded network pictures are to big?
... But it is a detail: the more important is Frisbee to work fine now and this is so. :wink:

Cordialement.
Attachments
105011_630x431_easyshot.png
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
Last edited by Argolance on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

ASRI éducation

#167 Post by ASRI éducation »

At this rate, Frisbee will soon become indispensable Puppy!

@ Argolance
A few mods for langue FR : cf. your screenshot.
=> Outilsl WPA_Supplicant
=> Détermniner le délai d'interruption

@ Rerwin
I believe it is possible to determine the size of the buttons (it will be more attractive if they are all the same size).

Argolance

#168 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
ASRI wrote:@ Argolance
J'ai mis à jour le fichier po rapidement juste pour test et remarqué ces erreurs en me disant que, dès que la "gettextisation" sera achevée (ça ne saurait tarder!), comme convenu, nous allons ensemble peaufiner cette traduction et y apporter certaines corrections/modifications. Outre les fautes de frappe (et autres!), il me semble avoir vu, pour certaines phrases, sur le Frisbee de la Puplette de Petihar, des tournures plus convaincantes/précises que celles que j'ai trouvées...

@rerwin
Should the 2 first buttons of the frame "Other actions" not rather be "gtk-preferences icons"?

Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.

ASRI éducation

#169 Post by ASRI éducation »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
ASRI wrote:@ Argolance
J'ai mis à jour le fichier po rapidement juste pour test et remarqué ces erreurs en me disant que, dès que la "gettextisation" sera achevée (ça ne saurait tarder!), comme convenu, nous allons ensemble peaufiner cette traduction et y apporter certaines corrections/modifications. Outre les fautes de frappe (et autres!), il me semble avoir vu, pour certaines phrases, sur le Frisbee de la Puplette de Petihar, des tournures plus convaincantes/précises que celles que j'ai trouvées...

Cordialement.
Ok, tu me contacteras quand tu auras besoin.

mavrothal

#170 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: I think that is because the output from ifconfig or iwconfig (I forget which) is formated differently on Archpup and ipinfo can't parse it correctly.
Right.
All it needs actually is change

var02=`ifconfig`
to

var02=`ifconfig | tr '<' '(' | tr '>' ')'` 
in ipinfo.
Thx

rerwin

#171 Post by rerwin »

Argolance wrote:Nevertheless, one is still missing
Thanks for reporting that. It is now fixed in version 20120213 back on page 11.

mavrothal & peebee, I think the ipinfo problem is caused by the output of ifconfig and the other assignments not being specified as strings, so they could be parsed as commands. The "<" and ">" characters are probably being treated as redirection. Seems like a security and integrity hazard, to me. I think all of those "var..." assignments should be double-quoted.

As for the icon size, we can change the "circle" icons, but maybe not in time for the beta. I will experiment a little, but am open to other ideas for the xml 24x24 type.

ASRI éducation, re "I believe it is possible to determine the size of the buttons (it will be more attractive if they are all the same size)." I tried that initially but found that they seemed to merge into a block, making it more difficult to find the one you need. The different-sized buttons make it easier to spot a uniquely sized button, instead of having to look for the "middle" button in a block of them.
Richard

mavrothal

#172 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:mavrothal & peebee, I think the ipinfo problem is caused by the output of ifconfig and the other assignments not being specified as strings, so they could be parsed as commands. The "<" and ">" characters are probably being treated as redirection. Seems like a security and integrity hazard, to me. I think all of those "var..." assignments should be double-quoted.
You are correct. The "<" and ">" characters are actually messing up gtkdialog formatting.
Unfortunately is not very simple (for me) to double quote a variable that is the concatenation of other variables which are the output of the shell commands (var12 for example)
Till someone comes up with this solution the patch below works fine for this porpuse

--- a/usr/sbin/ipinfo	2012-03-23 14:55:52.000000000 +0200
+++ b/usr/sbin/ipinfo	2013-02-14 06:28:53.000000000 +0200
@@ -23,7 +23,7 @@
 	var0="$(gettext 'External IP:') ""$var0"
 	# tab 1 - interfaces
 	var01=`echo $(gettext 'Hostname:') "$HOSTNAME"`
-	var02=`ifconfig`
+	var02=`ifconfig | tr '>' ')' | tr '<' '(' `
 	# tab 3 - routing
 	var03="`route -n | sed -e 's%Kernel IP routing table%%'`"
 	# tab 2
@@ -42,7 +42,7 @@
 		var11=`iwlist rate 2>&1 | grep Current`
 		# concatenate wireless data for display
 		var12="$var06""$nl""$var07""$nl""$var08""$nl""$var09""$nl""$var10""$nl""$var11""$nl"
-		var12=`echo "$var12" | sed '/^$/d' ` 
+		var12=`echo "$var12" | tr '>' ')' | tr '<' '(' |sed '/^$/d' ` 
 	else
 		var12="<b>$(gettext 'No wireless extensions detected.')</b>"
 	fi

Argolance

#173 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
In a previous post, I asked you if it would be possible to give the preference to a wireless network when several available?
The preference seems like something I can try to add to frisbee.
As simple user, I really think it is important: every time I start my laptop (this may happen several times a day, because of tests I am doing with!) Frisbee automatically connect to an available public network. The tray icon let me think all is ok but while running "Seamonkey", for example, I am immediately redirected to an inscription web page to create an account to use this public network (... and some Windoze user at home to promptly say "aahhh, LINUX is crappy"!)! Then I close Seamonkey, run Frisbee to get a connection to my private network, and so on... :shock:
Frisbee is a little bit more convenient for setting/configuring a wireless network than the Dougal's GUI, but this one has not this inconvenience...

Cordialement.

rerwin

#174 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal wrote:The "<" and ">" characters are actually messing up gtkdialog formatting.
Unfortunately is not very simple (for me) to double quote a variable that is the concatenation of other variables which are the output of the shell commands (var12 for example)
I see what you mean. I tried quoting all of the "`...`" instances, which did not harm anything; but it did not solve the problem. Gtkdialog simply will not accept < and > in label text strings. Maybe there is -- or should be -- a way to override that intolerance. But I do not know what it is. I tried several levels of escapes (\), which did not fix it, either.

The idea of using externally generated text in a label seems dangerous, to me. Substituting for those characters does work around that problem.
Richard

rerwin

Integrated set of network tray icons added

#175 Post by rerwin »

Argolance wrote:I really think it is important: every time I start my laptop (this may happen several times a day, because of tests I am doing with!) Frisbee automatically connect to an available public network. The tray icon let me think all is ok but while running "Seamonkey", for example, I am immediately redirected to an inscription web page to create an account to use this public network (... and some Windoze user at home to promptly say "aahhh, LINUX is crappy"!)! Then I close Seamonkey, run Frisbee to get a connection to my private network, and so on... :shock:
Frisbee is a little bit more convenient for setting/configuring a wireless network than the Dougal's GUI, but this one has not this inconvenience...
You have convinced me that implementing that is important. That will be my next frisbee task to research and solve.

Back to the icon debate: I used my new-found "expertise" in making .xpm icons to adapt the current puppy network_tray icons to create the extended set for the dialup and wireless connections. I posted the updated network_tray package on page 11. I am open to improvements to make for those icons, but want to keep the "puppy look" of them.

01micko

#176 Post by 01micko »

Richard

This works...

echo '<vbox><text><label>"'we will try \<\> this and see'"</label></text></vbox>'|gtkdialog -s
HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#177 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Richard

This works...

echo '<vbox><text><label>"'we will try \<\> this and see'"</label></text></vbox>'|gtkdialog -s
HTH
But you still need to manipulate the ifconfig etc, output to escape ">" and "<", no?
Is there any gtkdialog string formatting to pass spacial characters in a string as text without individual character escaping/formatting etc?

01micko

#178 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal

You mean like this?

#!/bin/sh

export XX="<this statement>
something else
<some more stuff>"

export gui='<vbox>
  <text><input>echo "$XX"</input></text>
</vbox>'
gtkdialog -p gui

mavrothal

#179 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:mavrothal

You mean like this?
like that is fine but ipinfo is a bit more complex and does not work ie

var12="$var06""$nl""$var07""$nl""$var08""$nl""$var09""$nl""$var10""$nl""$var11""$nl"
var12=`echo "$var12" | sed '/^$/d' ` 
[........]
<vbox>
					<text use-markup="true" wrap="false">
						<label>"<tt><b>${nl}$(gettext 'Wireless configuration:')${nl}</b>${nl}${var12}</tt>"</label> 
					</text>
</vbox>
so a < or > in var[06-11] is giving the problem.
So `echo "$var12" ' and variants of it will not do it.

01micko

#180 Post by 01micko »

May as well rewrite the whole thing using <input> tag, I'm pretty sure it supports mark up. I'm sure one of my proggy's use it with mark up.

At the time vovchik wrote the script I think the <input> tag for <text> widget was either non-existent or broken.

Should just echo the lot to a temp file and cat the file I suppose.

EDIT: maybe getting a bit off topic. I wonder if vovchik made a thread about ipinfo ? Maybe..