Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 22:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
JWM Desktop Updates to V755 (Release) and V910 (Test)
Page 2 of 16 [240 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
joewing

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:05    Post subject:  

As far as windows sliding under the tray is concerned, by default, trays have a higher layer than application windows. You can change the layer of the tray with the "layer" attribute:

Code:

<Tray ... layer="normal">
</Tray>

In general windows shouldn't open under the tray unless the application requests that position for some reason or the window is too large to fit on the screen.

As far as the memory footprint is concerned, I would make sure JWM is configured the same way (as disciple noted). From my testing, newer versions actually use less memory. (Perhaps --enable-debug is in use?). There are a few new features, most significantly is SVG support, but that shouldn't affect the memory footprint much unless a lot of SVG graphics are now being used.

- Joe
Monsie

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 15:42    Post subject: JWM Desktop Updates to V679  

Thanks, Joe

I have edited my initial post in this thread regarding memory footprint for accuracy, and as an effort to keep things in perspective.

Monsie

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 16:03    Post subject:  

Thanks Joe, JWM is one of my favourite window managers. You do a great job developing it.
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running PuppEX 14.1, New Year's Pup 02, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy X-Precise 2.4, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
jpeps

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 16:25    Post subject:  

...and many thanks for fixing the java text focus issue.
scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 21:20    Post subject:  

thanks joe for a direct reply.

And, no I don't compile with debug on, you are one of the very rare application creators that I don't believe it necessary as you have created clean output each time I have compiled your code, even when I have found a bug in running the application later!

As far as memory footprint is concerned, I do compile, as 'f00 noted, with the confirm, fribidi, icons, png, shape, xft, xinerama, xpm and xrender options on. Maybe the other build mentioned didn't include some of them?

@all, Joe seems to have slowed his fixes down, if nothing new 'arrives' over the next week that may be problematic for puppy I shall build a fresh testing set next week so you should see a release build the weekend following! Also, as I was pm'd on and was my error, I will use barryk's package name codeing which means it will become jwm2-version-compiledin.pet as we are working with jwm2 not jwm1. I will build with at least three bases as I want to try barry's new Precise out.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013, 03:35    Post subject: JWM Desktop Updates to V679  

scsijon, Joe, et al,

Just to let you know that it turns out that I am seeing some windows partially hidden off the bottom of the screen... and it's happening when I am using ROX. For example: when I right-click on a file to look at its properties, the new window that appears is sometimes hidden.

Note that I saying: sometimes because this behavior is not happening consistently. This would seem to make this scenario difficult to troubleshoot... I am at a loss to try to explain why this is happening only some of the time... Further, note that I am using V679 in Wary 5.3

In another example, as I was about to make a backup of my savefile, the dialog box that opened up to confirm the copy operation was partially hidden below the tray.

In my testing, I tried adding Joe's tweak to .jwmrc-tray
Code:
<Tray ... layer="normal">
</Tray>

It did change the layer so that the tray was now underneath the pop-up dialog box, but the bottom part of the pane was still hidden, off the screen --but over, not under the tray. So, I removed the tweak as I prefer that the windows slide under the tray rather than over it if it means part of the pane is going to be off the screen anyway.

At this point, I want to emphasize that I am only seeing this behavior when I am using ROX... and for whatever reason it is not occurring all of the time. Further, I would welcome others (especially Wary users) to test this scenario in order to replicate my findings or not.

Thanks,
Monsie

scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2013, 01:43    Post subject:  

@monsie, I have reopened the problem and added your comments, I find I 'can' duplicate the same problem!

@all, I have found problems with version 686 and so won't build another pet until all fixed however v679 seems to be ok for most things.
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2013, 04:09    Post subject: jwm-690 for joe  

pic for joe to make sure were all talking about the same thing
jwm690.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  jwm690.jpg 
Filesize  155.73 KB 
Downloaded  538 Time(s) 

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2013, 08:27    Post subject:  

Just to chime in with some useless opinions, as I haven't yet tried the latest JWM, am very keen to do so:

I LOVE JWM, Akita uses it for many things, perhaps more than almost any other pup .. Akita uses JWM for desktop drive icons (optionally) ..

I'm still really hoping that the `jwm -reload` or similar can be made to apply to <Tray> and <TrayButton> items... Then I can have desktop drive icons that dont need `jwm -restart` to update the icons and 'exec:' actions...

Or a `jwm -reload` that'll just work with any of the included files added in jwmrc, such as <Include>/root/.jwmrc-drives</Include> etc

Obviously, transparent background on <Tray> items would also be fantastic, but I'm not expecting that to be desired by anyone, or ever implemented..

Also, for me, on various pups, JWM sometimes has problems switching between fullscreen and back, when changing resolutions, where other WMs do not - after the switch to fullscreen and change of resolution, the game/programs window is not stretched, and parts of the desktop are still visible in fullscreen, around the program.. I don't know enough to be more specific, but loading 'Savage' and some 8bit/16-bit emulators tends to produce this..

I also use dual screen setups all the time, my TV hooked up sa the 2nd screen, on the right...

These are the things I plan to test in the latest JWM..

And I could also do with fewer layers, I think 3 to 5 is enough.. Again, don't get me wrong, I love JWM, and hope it continues to improve, as I definitely plan to continue using it.. Very Happy

scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:08    Post subject: jwm-691  

@monsie, your problem has been found and fixed in Version 691 (yes we are that far up).

I will build it and test over the next few days, however joe has still two puppy related problems so I may not release it if he fixes one of them in the meantime. He really is working hard on JWM at present with sometimes two version releases of fixes in one day.

The other will be a headache for him (and us) and take some time as I am getting what I believe, is a 'very' ocasional loss of use of the app's config files being read when a 'heavy duty' app starts. This means the app starts on it's default config and not the user configured version. Problem is, so far to fix it I have found that it needs a reboot and it seems to affect some (random) other apps started afterwards. Dropping to the shell and out of X doesn't fix it. It was ok with V679, but not with V686 and i'm chasing back for him at present to when it first starts.

UPDATE: I have built V691 and done some basic testing, and it seems that fixing one problem has also fixed at least another major problem if not both of them. I shall continue testing today and this evening, and unless anything serious appears I will update the topic by tomorrow morning with the new jwm2-691-w5c.pet for others to test and report on (please) as I'm back to work in the afternoon so won't be available till tuesday afternoon next to follow up. I will leave v679's pet there in case it's needed as a backstep. The later built and tested ones between were of varying states of being problematic.
Monsie

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 02:41    Post subject: JWM Desktop Updates to V679  

Thanks, scsijon,

I appreciate your help and (obviously) the work that Joe has been putting in lately... he really has been busy with a whack of new builds!

I'm sure I speak for others when I say that having these bug fixes and improvements to the window manager is "huge" for Puppy... Very Happy

I look forward to testing the newest build when you get the Pet uploaded.

Monsie

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:06    Post subject: V691 available  

Ok, I have uploaded the new version 691, and it seems to have fixed all our outstanding problems. It's on the first page!

The Thunderbird Mail Program still has problems when in 1024x768 and set for Maximize. It can still loose it's bottom and right edge off the screen, however it's ok if the screensize is 1280x1024 so the problem belongs to the application not JWM. I have not found another with the problem (including ROX).

Could we have a good number of testers please with a report back so I can 'sign us off' with joewing.

I have left version 679 available in case anyone needs to step back as I don't expect to be available again til tuesday afternoon or wednesday next week.

@sc0ttman, both new ones have only three layers. To quote Joe:
Quote:
With the latest snapshots, the number of user-configurable layers have been reduced to three ("above", "normal", and "below"). In addition, there is now a configuration option (the "border" attribute on the "TrayButton" tag) to set whether tray buttons have a border rather than the rule where tray buttons that are smaller than 48 pixels are flat. There are other changes as well that affect the appearance slightly.

And, the tray in puppy is an extra config file, rather than being an internal part of the .jwmrc file. It should be being updated when -reload is activated. Could you carefully confirm it's still not working in the latest version before I give Joe another problem. Also, if it's not working, try issuing a jwm -restart after the jwm -reload, and let me know if that fixes it.

Last edited by scsijon on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:33; edited 1 time in total
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:28    Post subject:  

I have compiled the JWM 691 binary from the source code and one thing I have found is with this SlimBoat browser in Wheezy (and also in Slacko 5403 which has a recent JWM out of the box).

If I maximise the window and then close, then open again it is offset. If I reduce down then maximise again it fills the screen properly.

Not sure if this is a bug with the app or with JWM.

scsijon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 18:36    Post subject:  

@Oscar, could you please use the components in mine and not just a raw build at the moment, as there are a few changes in the config files that could be effecting you. You may also need to do a fixmenus and jwm -restart so your menu file is updated.

I am not getting problems with SlimBoat in wary/racy, mage2, archpup or an earlier precise which I have been testing on as I have been looking at it ad a firefox replacement when the system has qt4/5 installed.

I have yet to reinstall my slacko after accidentally Embarassed deleting it's directory so I have yet to test, and I am downloading the latest Precise now to test on it when I'm back early next week. And mick is keeping slacko up with my releases after testing, so, at the moment, slacko users should be ok.

I shall download a wheezy when I find one and see if I can duplicate the problem. EDIT: Oscar, where did you get your puppy wheezy from, I can't find a url for one?

?Is it just that one window shifting, or is the whole screen moving offset? And where did you get your Slimboat and what is it's version please.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2013, 20:12    Post subject:  

Hello scsijon,

Booted Live CD of latest Precise beta pfix=ram then installed your JWM 691 .pet and ran fixmenus and jwm -restart, also restarted X.

Then installed my SlimBoat .pet which is the latest 1.1.24 tarball with Ubuntu Precise gstreamer libs.

Will try to attach a screeny of the maximised window which opens displaced downwards and slightly to the right also. The window button indicates that it is maximised (or should be).

This positioning error doesn't happen in the old original JWM.

How did you get SlimBoat to work in wary/racy? I thought it was missing the needed version of a core lib.

Pemasu's Wheezy thread is in the Puppy Projects section:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80546
displacedwindow.png
Description  Maximised window opens displaced - JWM bug or SlimBoat bug?
png

Download 
Filename  displacedwindow.png 
Filesize  219.92 KB 
Downloaded  509 Time(s) 

Page 2 of 16 [240 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: