Precise NOP 5.4.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Terryphi

Re: Keeping a Nop current as the base puppy changes

#21 Post by Terryphi »

Error.
Last edited by Terryphi on Fri 23 Nov 2012, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Terryphi

#22 Post by Terryphi »

Error.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Henry

#23 Post by Henry »

Thought this might bear repeating lest Terryphi's clangers obscure it :-)

But I also wanted to say that PreciseNop is the best yet - no problems. My question is just that, and I reckon I already know the answer. Still . . . is there a plan?

As far as package management goes - I've no idea. Tried looking at some Ubuntu packages, and they all seem to have a hundred or so dependencies. Well, mostly I just use the basic business and writing stuff I've always used. I couldn't ask for a better computer for that.
Henry wrote:Nops are remasters of a particular puppy version. When bugs are fixed or features are added in that puppy, how can the Nop version benefit from them? . . .

Barry already has a service pack for Precise-5.4.1:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00039

Is there a way for the non-technical user (me) to adapt changes such as this, or less radical pets?

gray

Updated Iso

#24 Post by gray »

Upgraded the iso to r1 (see main post)

keniv

#25 Post by keniv »

Hello All

I have just down loaded Precise nop 541 today. I like Opera as the browser (I use it with 528 which has been my main Puppy up to now). I am booting it with grubfordos from an ntfs partition with XP and a number of other frugal installs of other puppies. This is also working OK. However, I have a slight problem with the desktop after boot up. The clock shows as a black square with the hands still moving. The mouse pointer is also quite large and disappears if moved into a box to click on it. If I restart X the clock and the mouse pointer appear as normal. This happens with an old Toshiba laptop 800MHz and 320MB. From what has been said about old hardware I might have expected problems but it also does the same on an HP compaq 2.4GHz 1.5 GB which I would have thought would be good enough. Anybody else noticed this? I have uninstalled the widgets for the moment.

Regards,

Ken.

Henry

Re: Updated Iso

#26 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:Upgraded the iso to r1 (see main post)
Thanks, gray,
There's a lot I don't understand about this, so am taking a go-slow approach for now. Not even quite sure how to proceed from the state of my current pupsave. I think your remark "(hope I haven't been premature)" was prohetic, as Barry continues to tinker with the service pack.

swiatmar

#27 Post by swiatmar »

I am unable to delete trash!! The files are blocked in trash and unable to remove. Strange.......

Henry

Can't delete /tmp EDIT

#28 Post by Henry »

I wrote when PreciseNop first appeared:
I don't understand why I can't delete /tmp. Probably there's a good conservative reason?
There was no comment, and I more or less forgot about it. EVERYTHING works beautifully (that I know of), but I am curious about this. It's the same before and after r1.

When I try to delete /tmp I get two popups - first "moving files into the trash . . .," then immediately "unable to trash file; device or resource busy."

Later EDIT: But using "permanenty delete," at least with PreciseNop-.5.4.3, will not delete the folder, but its contents. Just clarifying. Looks like an improvement.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 13 Apr 2013, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

venim1103

#29 Post by venim1103 »

This is an awesome Puppy compilation.. The problem I have with it is that I can't find a proper devx.sfs file for it.

I tried using the Precise_5.4.1 devx and the only things that seemed to work with it were gcc and g++. Anything else such as gdb and python to name a few don't work with it.

I'm trying to install some gtk and xfce themes and most of them are using python for compiling, which I normally hate installing (it has always worked with the devx out of the box..)

Has anyone else tried installing any themes to this Puppy? Have you just used manual installing like moving files to /x/x/.themes etc.?

Henry

A happy user

#30 Post by Henry »

Hello,

Wish I could help with some of these questions, but i'm simply a keen long time user of the Nops, this being the best so far.

As always, I've upgraded from my previous Nop save file, in this case RacyNop-5.3.2 to PreciseNop-5.4.1, which .
I then upgraded the iso to r1, which included Service pack 5.4.1 and still later applied Precise service pack-5.4.2 to 5.4.2.3. Not sure this was legal, but it apparently did no harm, and the package manager seems to work well with the ubuntu repositories. (At least I got Bluefish-2.2.2 there, a later version than I found elsewhere.)

The point is I use this latest Nop continuously for diverse, heavy duty publishing, office, and web work without problems.

I am happy to recommend this quality puppy, as you can see. http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm
Last edited by Henry on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.

vicmz

#31 Post by vicmz »

Welcome to the second generation of Puppy Derivatives! :D
You have released a derivative based on a Puppy version made from the latest Woof2, that means non-English speakers will be able to use your derivative thanks to the official language packs available for Puppy, which at the moment are: French, German, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. Here you can read some documentation on how translations are made. Usually translators know how to adapt the langpacks for compatibility with Woof2 Puppy derivatives, but you can also help by telling what files or programs need translations.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

gray

update to v5.4.3

#32 Post by gray »

See main post - bug fixes since SP 5.4.1.1

Henry

Re: update to v5.4.3

#33 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:See main post - bug fixes since SP 5.4.1.1
Thank you, grey,

This must be one of the slickest upgrades yet. I simply upgraded my current precisesave file. A quick first look seems to indicate most everything works as before.

Henry
Screen: http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

gilloraymondo

#34 Post by gilloraymondo »

Hi
This Precise NOP 543 is simply wonderful !!!!

Everything is running fine.

Just 2 problems. The first one is already solved :
With Opera, I've problems with youtube.
Well, this isn't important. I've dowloaded firefox, and add a add on I like.
It should be better the to remove opera, but may be it isn't possible...

But with the second problem, I can't find how to do to solve it :

On toutou linux (french puppy version) or on Lucid Puppy, I can install amsn (an old version, but which works fine, is on a toutou linux repository).
But amsn cannot be found in the Precise NOP 542 repositories

And for some reasons, they are some usefuls things just like amsn or skype which are not on the ubuntu repositories, but they are on the "medibuntu" repository and it's very easy, with ubuntu, to add the "medibuntu" repository, opening a shell terminal.
But with Precise NOP 542, sudo apt-get don't work and I don't know what to write.
Somebody can help me ?
Thank you

Fishy

Python?

#35 Post by Fishy »

Having problems with my installation of calibre not finding python. Pfind shows python 2.7 in /usr/lib but calibre which usually installs in /opt can't find it. Do I have to install a link? :?

Really like the minimalist approach. :D

Frugal Install

Henry

The future for Nop

#36 Post by Henry »

Precise NOP 5.4.3 is the best, and gray has so far successfully kept up with the best of Precise Puppy.

I guess he will keep an eye on 5.5 developments, avoiding bloat and keeping the essential benefits of Xfce.

BTW I tried Precise-5.5 (actually 5.4.9 alpha) on my regular PreciseNop save file and it upgraded easily, with everything (I think), including LibreOffice working, except that the menus and desktop were all different and it wouldn't shut down. I wouldn't go through that again without a very good reason. But in future some improvements might be gleaned from it.

At present I see nothing with PreciseNop-5.4.3.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

bwh1969

ACPI at least lid close?

#37 Post by bwh1969 »

I got an acpi package from somewhere. If I run the /etc/acpi/suspend.sh the machine (asus eeepc-1201T) suspends and wakes; however, acpi is not "running."

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# /etc/init.d/rc.acpi start
ACPI seems to be supported but not enabled in kernel,
try using acpi=force on next reboot.
and that line is added to my grub now and I still do not see it starting so "events" are not happening.

Ideas? Lid close to suspend on a laptop is kind of nice:-)

Marv

panel transparency

#38 Post by Marv »

Henry wrote:
Thank you, grey,

This must be one of the slickest upgrades yet. I simply upgraded my current precisesave file. A quick first look seems to indicate most everything works as before.
Thanks here also, grey,

Smooth as butter frugal install to my rather ancient athlon box with a stinky nvidia video card. Gave away my only PAE laptop so I can't test on my laptops for suspend etc. The ONLY thing I haven't got working is transparency of the panel. Compositor on and working but setting alpha for full transparency for the panel gives a black background, not the wallpaper. Lina with xfce4.10 on this machine gives correct transparency for the panel. Should be pretty much apples to apples. If you have the compositor on, can you get a transparent panel? It's great to have a current precise wrapped lovingly in Xfce/thunar/opera!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Henry

Minor package manager problem SOLVED

#39 Post by Henry »

EDIT - SOLVED: The package manager uses

/usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer
to fetch the "More Info." This file had somehow got deleted. I ran

pfix=ram
and copied it back. Kind of embarrassing.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

amerigo

panel transparency

#40 Post by amerigo »

/etc/profile
#v2.10 MU: rox crashes with DRI modules. solution:
#export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1