Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
inoxidabile

#541 Post by inoxidabile »

Just to say my feel... once again I agree with Volhout :)
IMHO the desktop changing is good to play some time but.. after that ?
My preference is for a sober but elegant style and then, all the overstrucures could be leaved to other taste (comprising also xfce and especially various mate, cinnamon and so on).
And, once again, the challenge is to become an alternative to Lubuntu :o

playdayz

#542 Post by playdayz »

To use the Help in 13.01-Slacko, one must first install libsoup from PPM, and then follow these instructions (including installing libsoup-gnome), substituting Firefox for Seamonkey. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 780#680780
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

partsman

lxpup 13.01 devx sfs to compile

#543 Post by partsman »

where would i find the devx sfs to compile ? thanks again jejy69 ! :D

gcmartin

#544 Post by gcmartin »

Not to take issue with anything anyone has shared here.

I want to begin by saying that the author has put a lot of effort and time to bring a fresh idea to Puppyland. Its extremely useful to many in the forum when distro developers do this. It provide insights and useful approaches.

The greatest thing in Puppyland is what Barry does to provide a build tool for anyone to build a distro. Many/most who do, do so and present their work for USE IN THE COMMUNITY.

Jamesbond echoed something that only Pemasu re-enforces in documentation he has prepared about the distros delivered. That is (and I paraphrase) "its a Developer's RIGHT to choose what he would want in a distro." As such, use at your own risk.

I am echoing this NOT to upset anyone. So please, noone is to take this personally. I ONLY share as it might help for use to understand that the distro developers are only "offering" their distros for our assistance in the theme as its presented.

In their offerings, ideas, new ideas come to the table and some of them actually are so compelling that it becomes a generally acceptable method of delivering distro service features. Without naming I can point to at least 8-9 over the past 2 years which are now in today's PUPs. These distro developer spend a great deal of time thinking about improvements and demonstrating their findings via their distros.

I wish that I had the insights that this distro's author has presented to us: Though, my eyes have been opened to what it does bring to the table for consumption.

My boot time is adequate. I rarely if ever boot unless something is broken or if the distro was booted merely for a lookover. My PCs are set to go to sleep to "save the planet" and I try to understand what has been offered, and to assist should I see something wrong or how something added will help.

I think Barry and JamesBond and Pemasu do offer tools in the distro that will allow anything one finds that they would like to remove. I have never used the tool, but, as I remember its there should I need.

I hope, again, that everyone understand that this post is offered for understanding and in NO WAY IS IT TAKING ISSUE with anyone.

Here to help
Edit: Corrected text errors and omissions

natgab

Lxpup Slacko 13.01 WIFI

#545 Post by natgab »

Jerome,

I really like the new Lxpup 13.01. Very nice to have a MATE desktop! I like the apps and that VLC is already installed and works. I think 13.01 is even nicer and easier to use than 11.12. Feels like a " Full size Linux " not a compact Puppy.

Just having a little trouble with WIFI, it works but seems to reset everytime I reboot. I usually use Simple Network Setup on all the Puppys and my WIFI always just works. (WPA security used) I will try it out once I install the Puppy to my Laptop. Maybe its just from runnning it live. But if you have any ideas, it would help.

thanks
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

inoxidabile

#546 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
I started to check the new release of LxPup full version, in live mode... I totally agree wit natgab, it seems a full sized Linux.
However, I found something "not so good" :) :
- I must confess that the changer between LXDE, Mate, etc.. is nice but the GUI don't restart with the selected one, it simply goes out, like as a logout, and then a command line must be insertedd, then it could be wise to write somewhere (e.g. in the related window) the commands needed. Moreover, I can confirm, kde doesn't run.
- In LXDE I'm not able to find some common applet in panel setup... the more strange thing is the absence of the applet/button for shutdown.
- As my personal taste, there are a little bit too much apps, and then it could be interesting to be able to remove something but (sorry.. :oops: ) there are apps I wasn't able to do so (e.g. Pidgin). Then, the temptation is to start from the more light verion and add, instead of subrtact from the full one.
- I confirm that the bug of Pcman is still present... It's about the sudden close of the window when n unity is unmounted/removed).
Last but not least, I'm very interested in the problem about wifi found by natgab... I suppose that he saved the file at exit, then it should be found again at the next live session.
However, since I checked with a wired ethernet connection (very nice, great,... it acquires immediately the dhcp without any setup :D ), I didn't see that bug but if it's true it would be something to correct.

Finally... Wide compliments to Jejy69 :)

James C

#547 Post by James C »

Did a couple of frugal installs of 13.01.....no problems to speak of.Will check out the "full" edition in a day or two. Good job.

peebee

Wifi situation

#548 Post by peebee »

Hi Jerome

I think? the wifi situation maybe that Lxpup 13.01 iso comes with Frisbee already installed and running but when the startup screen shows the connect button this takes you to the connect wizard which offers all 3 network managers (sns, netwiz and Frisbee).

Trying to use sns after the version of Frisbee in Slacko has been used is known to be problematical....

Also, Lxpup 13.01 does allow Frisbee to be installed and loaded a 2nd time with unknown consequences.

So I think the safest advice is to ignore the Connect button on the startup screen but instead right click on the tray network icon and use Frisbee to establish your wifi link.

For future releases - Frisbee should probably not be installed by default or if it is, the connect button should go direct to Frisbee not to the Wizard.

The new version of Frisbee that rerwin has been working on should remove all of these problems.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

playdayz

#549 Post by playdayz »

I think? the wifi situation maybe that Lxpup 13.01 iso comes with Frisbee already installed and running but when the startup screen shows the connect button this takes you to the connect wizard which offers all 3 network managers (sns, netwiz and Frisbee).

Trying to use sns after the version of Frisbee in Slacko has been used is known to be problematical....
Yes, I hit this problem on first boot of 13.01 also.

Terry H

#550 Post by Terry H »

Hi inoxidabile,

Jejy69 answered a similar query that i posted to part of what your testing has identidfied.
inoxidabile wrote: - I must confess that the changer between LXDE, Mate, etc.. is nice but the GUI don't restart with the selected one, it simply goes out, like as a logout, and then a command line must be insertedd, then it could be wise to write somewhere (e.g. in the related window) the commands needed. Moreover, I can confirm, kde doesn't run.
Jejy69 wrote: For KDE, it is not included, I'm trying to upload the SFS kde 4.9.5, making a weight of 650MB! So, I can't put it in the ISO. :lol:

About "WM change" it's a noob script I made :lol:. So it's not perfect. Indeed, it fails when you Log out from Xfce to another WM. You must type "ctrl+alt+backspace" to complete the command. But it's only when you are with Xfce.

natgab

#551 Post by natgab »

inoxidabile wrote:Hi everybody!
- As my personal taste, there are a little bit too much apps, and then it could be interesting to be able to remove something but (sorry.. :oops: ) there are apps I wasn't able to do so (e.g. Pidgin). Then, the temptation is to start from the more light verion and add, instead of subrtact from the full one.
---I think this is a problem in all the Puppys. Probably another reason I tended to go back to " regular " Linux distros. Puppys overwhelm you first with the odd ROX File system and the 50 things or so on the right click of the mouse. Jerome has fixed part of the problem with the friendlier LXDE, MATE, etc desktops. But this only takes care of half the problem.

I think now maybe we can offer suggestion as to what apps can be trimmed. This is the reason I love using Linux Mint on my desktop computer. They have chosen the best applications and only give you one of each. This also helps in trying to show the system to a non-Linux user. You don't confuse him/her with 3 text editors, gui & command line burn software etc. Things like scientific calculators and different PDF viewers are not necessary. These seem to be for specific users not general use applications.
Last but not least, I'm very interested in the problem about wifi found by natgab... I suppose that he saved the file at exit, then it should be found again at the next live session.

---I just installed Lxpup 13.01 to my computer, so I will test out and post the results of how it goes with the WIFI. Maybe this and one or two other bug fixes can be taken care of and a new ISO uploaded later.

EDIT: Rebooted, used Frisbee this time. Then rebooted a couple of times and Frisbee does not automatically give me internet. Each reboot I have to go to networking icon and need to click " enable networking " and internet starts. At least I no longer have choose network & enter password each time it reboots
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

inoxidabile

#552 Post by inoxidabile »

Thank You natgab for Your comments and, absolutely, I agree with Your analysis.

In past, I had for about one year Puppy on my main pc and I must say that for everyday use there are all.
However, I have ever had the feel of something efficient and compact but it's better and wise to keep "as is"
(unless You are skilled enough and it's not my situation... :oops:).
I don't think there will be points to say what should be present or not, in such a way everyone is happy.
And the temptation to add "all" have been common, maybe also to demonstrate that Puppy isn't a "minor" distro.
Several attempts has been made in past (if I remember well with "petbegone" and with all the "sfs on the fly"), so I think it's a well known issue (the other issue is about updates and patches, but this is an other point :) ).

Thank You for Your experience about Frisbee.
To click for enable networking is uncomfortable but it could be acceptable.

natgab

#553 Post by natgab »

inoxidabile wrote:Thank You natgab for Your comments and, absolutely, I agree with Your analysis.

In past, I had for about one year Puppy on my main pc and I must say that for everyday use there are all.
However, I have ever had the feel of something efficient and compact but it's better and wise to keep "as is"
(unless You are skilled enough and it's not my situation... :oops:).
I don't think there will be points to say what should be present or not, in such a way everyone is happy.
And the temptation to add "all" have been common, maybe also to demonstrate that Puppy isn't a "minor" distro.
Several attempts has been made in past (if I remember well with "petbegone" and with all the "sfs on the fly"), so I think it's a well known issue (the other issue is about updates and patches, but this is an other point :) ).

Thank You for Your experience about Frisbee.
To click for enable networking is uncomfortable but it could be acceptable.
---I think I will try and play around with the Remove built-in packages & Remaster Live CD and see if I can trim the redundant and specialty applications. I hope these programs take care of the dependencies problems. I am not a tech person either. :D

Lxpup is so much better for my old laptop. I have the system monitor on my MATE menu and notice it runs at a lower speed (80%) to play the same 480p Youtube videos than Linux Mint MATE edition (100%). Anybody else have some comparisons from Windows / full size Linux vs. Puppy usage?

Volhout

Apps

#554 Post by Volhout »

+1 for me. Puppy is great, but could a balance of default apps that is tailored for users, without duplication. Lxpup is refreshing.
The frisbee problem was identfied on Slacko 5.4, not existent on Slacko 5.3.3
natgab wrote:
inoxidabile wrote:Hi everybody!
---I think this is a problem in all the Puppys. Probably another reason I tended to go back to " regular " Linux distros. Puppys overwhelm you first with the odd ROX File system and the 50 things or so on the right click of the mouse. Jerome has fixed part of the problem with the friendlier LXDE, MATE, etc desktops. But this only takes care of half the problem.

I think now maybe we can offer suggestion as to what apps can be trimmed. This is the reason I love using Linux Mint on my desktop computer. They have chosen the best applications and only give you one of each. This also helps in trying to show the system to a non-Linux user. You don't confuse him/her with 3 text editors, gui & command line burn software etc. Things like scientific calculators and different PDF viewers are not necessary. These seem to be for specific users not general use applications.

---I just installed Lxpup 13.01 to my computer, so I will test out and post the results of how it goes with the WIFI. Maybe this and one or two other bug fixes can be taken care of and a new ISO uploaded later.

EDIT: Rebooted, used Frisbee this time. Then rebooted a couple of times and Frisbee does not automatically give me internet. Each reboot I have to go to networking icon and need to click " enable networking " and internet starts. At least I no longer have choose network & enter password each time it reboots
Last edited by Volhout on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#555 Post by peebee »

Hi Jerome

A couple of questions if I may....

- I think you've changed from LxPanelX to LxPanel for Lxpup Slacko 13.01 - I'm missing the "Go below when not in use" option which I've become used to in Lxpup 12.12 - would it be difficult to change 13.01 to LxPanelX and how would I go about it?

- [edit] - fixed - the command is "lxpanelctl restart" + i had to change the desktop file to be a X-*** type.
I can't get added applications with desktop files in /usr/share/applications to appear in the menu - fixmenus has disappeared - is there a command to run to rebuild the menus to include all the desktop files?
Many thanks for your assistance
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture27281.png
(49.11 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
capture8817.png
(14.36 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

inoxidabile

#556 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi Terry H,
You are absolutely right, I made the check in a better way and I must say that's exactly as said by Jejy69.
Just one thing: to go out from Xfce, instead of type "ctrl+alt+backspace", I selected once again the other desktop (e.g. Lxde) from the gui. However, as he said, the WM changer isn't perfect... but, the whole system is so smatr that this bug becomes insignificant ! :)

Hi natgab,
I haven't any "measurement" but I can say that Puppy can have a "resurrection effect" on an old pc :D I always use it to check "prehistoric" machines and repair them (neglecting some trouble about hw compatibility :( , but for this Puppy 4.3.1 is the best!).
Since I tested several Puppy derivatives, I must say LxPup is one of the better about efficiency as reference to its features, then without considering something like TurboPup, pupNgo or other "fatless/barebone".
I don't know if it's due to slacko background or whatsoever, but I agree with Volhout, it's "refreshing" :D ... funny and responsive.
Just for play, it could be interesting comparison between Puppy derivative instead of Puppy vs other OS :)
I feel You are more skilled than me and I'm very interested in Your test about "trim" of applications... I hope You will have success :)

natgab

#557 Post by natgab »

hey I got a question,

Puppy Package Manager shows I have Abiword and Gnumeric installed already. I don't see them in the menu and can't figure out how to access them.

I wanted to use them instead of Libre Office, since I only need them for occasional use on my laptop. They also have the advantage that they open up instantly and Libre Office takes a few seconds. ( Lxpuppy is spoiling me ) Anybody know what to do?

Terry H

#558 Post by Terry H »

natgab wrote:hey I got a question,

Puppy Package Manager shows I have Abiword and Gnumeric installed already. I don't see them in the menu and can't figure out how to access them.

I wanted to use them instead of Libre Office, since I only need them for occasional use on my laptop. They also have the advantage that they open up instantly and Libre Office takes a few seconds. ( Lxpuppy is spoiling me ) Anybody know what to do?

Hi natgab,

I checked my Package Manager in my installation of LXPUP 13.01 and it is the same. I searched for the executables for these programs and they are not present.

If you click on the entries in Package Manager, you will be asked if you want to install the package.

I you prefer using these applications, you should be able to install them.

eadmaster

#559 Post by eadmaster »

Also i'd like to vote for a PAE version!

inoxidabile

#560 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi Terry H, hi natgab,
IMHO the "install" of that two apps would be a little problem (if it's possible, of course... :) ) but it's one half of it... how could be removed LibreOffice?

EDIT: Just because I'm curious, I tried Carolina 005 (a derivative of Saluki by the great jemimah).
In its control panel there is this... Remove builtin packages.
It's amazing! ...two clicks and I removed Pidgin, Thunderbird... :D
I suppose it's not new for the people more experienced than me but for me, surely, I have never seen this before in Puppy. :oops:
If You have time, give it a try, maybe it could be introduced in LxPup. :)