Setting up Bluetooth with a USB Dongle

Using applications, configuring, problems
theoreo25

Setting up Bluetooth with a USB Dongle

#1 Post by theoreo25 »

Hello everyone.
i cant seem to get a working bluetooth manager installed properly. i have the dongle plugged in and my laptop itself has a indicator whether the bluetooth is active or not ( which is strange because there is no built in bluetooth), and it is lit. ive tried installing blueman but it didnt work. it doesnt show up in my menu and when i go to /usr/share/applications and click on blueman-manager.desktop it says that there is no such file or directory. any help to get bluetooth fired up would be appreciated. and im running slacko.
thanks

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Just a thought in passing
when i go to /usr/share/applications and click on blueman-manager.desktop
is not a binary file . Find the binary ,right click on the desktop icon and edit it to load the binary.

Whats the binary called? probably "blueman" so open a terminal and type "blueman" and see what happens . If you goto /usr/bin and look for it , if you find it drag it to the desktop and try that.

Meantime I'll play with mine , dongle that is and we will see .
That didn't get me far "lsusb" tells me its plugged in but thats it .

Where did you download "blueman" from?
If here
http://www.blueman-project.org/downloads.html
Did you get all these

Build dependencies:

glib2.0
gtk >= 2.14
startup-notification
python-gobject
bluez >= 4.0
intltool
python2.[5,6]-dev
pyrex >= 0.9.8.0

Runtime dependencies:

python >= 2.5
dbus
bluez >= 4.25
obex-data-server >= 0.4.3
python-notify
python-gtk2 >= 2.12
python-gconf (optional)
python-dbus
python-gobject
policykit-1 (optional)
libpulse, libpulse-mainloop-glib >=0.9.15 (optional)
notification-daemon or any other libnotify compatible engine.

theoreo25

more than half way there.

#3 Post by theoreo25 »

I have gotten my blue tooth set up using a different program,
first download bluez firmware, bluez libs and utilities, from the PPM. then download Bluetooth-0.4 pet from the internet. after this restart your computer and you should get a bluetooth symbol in your task bar. right click it to view the options. i managed to get my device (headset) paired and connected but i cant make them work, in other words the sound wont play through the headphones. i think the problem now is rerouting the sound from the default soundcard to the bluetooth dongle.or maybe i need to add the bluetooth dongle as a sound card. a little more help would be appreciated

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

Hopefully someone with the know how will jump in soon. Keep bumping it .Crossed fingers

In the meantime what version Puppy are u running . I'm precise 3.4.2 and could find no packages in the PPM named bluez. Can u tell me where you went and what you got and I will try to follow your footsteps and push you forward when I can

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

Guess you have moved on.

boof

bluez et al

#6 Post by boof »

I cannot access the web with puppy because I need bluez..... Can you advise me how to and where from to download bluez and dependencies for puppy slacko 5.4/5.5 via XP, pls? I haven't been able to find them clearly defined. IE I'm unsure if what I've found is correct. thx.