Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Jul 2014, 20:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XFCE/LXDE/MATE Desktops for ArchPup 13.2/13.2.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 08:11    Post subject: Re: Archpupy 13.2
Subject description: Desktop

rameshiyer wrote:
While booting Arch Puppy XFCE Desktop, I am getting below mentioned error message on by one.

1. Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.
2. The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly until it is restarted.

Stifiling, I'm getting the same errors. This is my 3rd save file now with them, they show up after the second reboot. I have to delete /var/run/wicd/wicp.pid and restart wicd to get it working again.

rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:20    Post subject: Arch Puppy
Subject description: SFS file integration

Stiffing

I would like to inform you that I got working Chromium 25 and Java runtime through SFS loading. Any limitation loading SFS ? Can we load any number of SFS file. Is it possible to make use of open box extras as given link

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800&search_id=1018840966
stifiling

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 13:06    Post subject: Re: Arch Puppy
Subject description: SFS file integration

rameshiyer wrote:
Stiffing

I would like to inform you that I got working Chromium 25 and Java runtime through SFS loading. Any limitation loading SFS ? Can we load any number of SFS file. Is it possible to make use of open box extras as given link

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800&search_id=1018840966

you have java working in chromium? which java and chromium sfs files are you using?

archpup i believe supports up to 24 sfs files.

did you get the Mobile 3g modem working the way u want?

as far as the openbox extras go, no reason why they shouldn't work. they're in .pet format though. mavrothal wrote a script to install .pets in archpup. although the openbox extras aren't specifically written for ArchPup, you could 'make' them work, the way you want them to work, with determination.
rameshiyer

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 13:45    Post subject:  

Stiffing

you have java working in chromium? which java and chromium sfs files are you using?

Yes. Perfectly. ( jre-1.7.0.07.sfs. ). About 3G modem, so far no result. I will try tomorrow morning and let you know the status.

mavrothal wrote a script to install .pets in archpup

I tested the script. showing error. I will explore possibility to convert pet to sfs. I have seen some package for converting pet to sfs.

Thank you for extending your support.
stifiling

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  

you can also do numerous apps in one sfs....rather than having 30 lil sfs files....you can pack them all in one.
rg66

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 07:03    Post subject:  

Using the updated xfce sfs, looks good.

I'm still getting the crashing from auto hide panel, sometimes even after running xfwm4 --replace. I've tested it about 4 or 5 times now.

A few other small issues but not so important, firefox is under network instead of internet and mplayer still has a menu entry.

I will do a save file and see if there are any wcid issues.

Edit: Still getting the crashing even after savefile but wicd/dbus seems to be fixed
I didn't see an md5sum for the new sfs
also, is it possible for you to do delta files as well so people don't have to dl the full sfs evertime?

stifiling

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 08:03    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
Using the updated xfce sfs, looks good.

I'm still getting the crashing from auto hide panel, sometimes even after running xfwm4 --replace. I've tested it about 4 or 5 times now.

i have two archpup_132.sfs files. the one using the original 3.4 kernel, this doesn't happen on. but the one using retroprecise's 3.2.32 kernel, it does. it's the same behavior even if not using the sfs. installing xfce by 'pacman -S xfce4' produces the same behavior. not sure what to make of that but it's appearing as though the 'concrete' fix, is beyond my reach.

what video driver does your machine use?

rg66 wrote:
A few other small issues but not so important, firefox is under network instead of internet and mplayer still has a menu entry.

i think i'll just do away with the 'Internet' submenu and let everything fall under Network. I like the Internet submenu, but the web browsers when installed from pacman are showing under both Internet and Network. the firefox.desktop file from archapps.sfs must have been edited in some way by simargl to only show under Network. same with mplayer.desktop, it's in the archapps.sfs and should be squashed out.

rg66 wrote:

I didn't see an md5sum for the new sfs
also, is it possible for you to do delta files as well so people don't have to dl the full sfs evertime?

i'll add the md5sum now. delta files, new to me. i'll have to read up on them, and see exactly how to use them.
Marv

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 21:34    Post subject: menu locations  

stifiling wrote:

Quote:
i think i'll just do away with the 'Internet' submenu and let everything fall under Network. I like the Internet submenu, but the web browsers when installed from pacman are showing under both Internet and Network. the firefox.desktop file from archapps.sfs must have been edited in some way by simargl to only show under Network. same with mplayer.desktop, it's in the archapps.sfs and should be squashed out.

I can't run Archpup as I gifted my only PAE machine but editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to change the Categories= line allows quite a bit of placement flexibility in xfce4.10 in 'lina. For example, the line in my opera.desktop is : Categories=WebBrowser; That puts the opera menu entry under internet only.

Cheers

stifiling

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 03:21    Post subject: Re: menu locations  

Marv wrote:
I can't run Archpup as I gifted my only PAE machine but editing the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications to change the Categories= line allows quite a bit of placement flexibility in xfce4.10 in 'lina. For example, the line in my opera.desktop is : Categories=WebBrowser; That puts the opera menu entry under internet only.

Cheers

yes u are right. you can have the app names listed in any submenu u want by editing the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files. that can wind up being a headache though. every new browser you install, or upgrade...you'd have to go manually edit the .desktop file again.

but if you want to use archpup with a different kernel, you absolutely can. you can switch to a non-pae kernel by using this method. a lot of steps, but nothing too hard. Although it's 15 steps, the payoff is worth it.

if you decide to try it on archpup 13.2.....at step 10.5, create folders 'pup_a' and 'pup_y'.
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 04:41    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:

i have two archpup_132.sfs files. the one using the original 3.4 kernel, this doesn't happen on. but the one using retroprecise's 3.2.32 kernel, it does. it's the same behavior even if not using the sfs. installing xfce by 'pacman -S xfce4' produces the same behavior. not sure what to make of that but it's appearing as though the 'concrete' fix, is beyond my reach.

what video driver does your machine use?

lsmod shows nvidiafb. With the other sfs this issue could be fixed with xfwm4 --replace. What did you change exactly? I've never seen this choose panel thing before, I'm trying to see what file it changes and if I can get it to load a predefined panel like Saluki/Carolina etc....

stifiling wrote:

Ok it's an Arch issue, not a prob. I'm used to editing .desktop files.

simargl8

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 05:08    Post subject:  

Almost missed that problem with firefox.desktop. So please, If there are problems
with files from archapps.sfs report them on Standard ArchPup 13.2.1 topic not xfce related one.

Currently firefox has Categories=Application;Network;
it's listed under Internet in the Openbox menu.

Change it to Categories=Application;WebBrowser, and it moves to Other
Try with Categories=Application;Internet again it moves to category Other
WTF Evil or Very Mad

Later:
Ok, think I've found it
Test this in XFCE:
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 05:15    Post subject: Edit SFS  

Here's EDIT SFS gz or xz compression for Archpup XFCE, Thunar right click menu. Since I apparently suck at making Arch packages, just extract the files and put editsfs in /usr/bin, uca.xml in /root/.config/Thunar and squasefs-image in /usr/share/pixmaps then restart Thunar.

Normally it would use a pinstall for everything but since there isn't a uca.xml by default it won't work untill you make a custom action and a uca.xml is created.

Edit: It's not rebuilding the sfs so I've taken it down until I can sort it out

Last edited by rg66 on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 05:48; edited 3 times in total
simargl8

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 05:28    Post subject:  

I'm now running XFCe

Setting firefox.desktop to
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
makes it show under both> Internet and Network

I'm not going to change anything, if you have some ideas let me know.

stif, will you add some different text editor, or should I move geany to arch apps
... or maybe It's good as is currently
stifiling

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 06:18    Post subject:  

to tell u the truth sim, i'd like to see geany in archapps, and we keep the desktop.sfs files free of any text editor. because the users can be so particular about them.

i'd say the same for the network manager. i'd like to remove wicd/pwireless2 from the desktop environments...and have a universal one included in archapps.

and even though the Internet submenu looks kinda good in the list, it's not flowing well with the complete layout. So i'm going to edit it out of the applications.menu. the app names should then continue to fall under only 'Network'.
simargl8

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 07:00    Post subject:  

Just remembered that openbox version needs geany for displaying help file, plus there's geany launcher
in tint2 panel. I must have it in adrv_openbox or bellow sfs, so decision is that geany moves to archpup sfs.
For users with openbox WM, it doesn't make difference but this way geany will be available for all the others...
Page 3 of 7 [103 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: