Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 21:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
BareBones Puppies & BABYies
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 20:43    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
Hi jrb,

Racy babybarebones fails to boot. It 'pauses' saying 'can't find puppy_racy_5.3.sfs'. Frugal install on an ext4 sd card, pfix=ram.

Right you are anikin. Must have been a bad upload (that's my story...). Laughing

I've reuploaded with my retested home copy, then I downloaded it, put it on a usb and booted a computer. Should be good to go.

Cheers, J
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 22:34    Post subject: MTpaint
Subject description: What libs are necessary ?

I would'nt have guessed that it will be MTpaint the hardest to install.
Yesterday i failed. Gimp is ok.
Have you some help to give me about installing MTpaint on Racy Barebones ?

Merci beaucoup.
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2013, 23:48    Post subject: Re: MTpaint
Subject description: What libs are necessary ?

Pelo wrote:
I would'nt have guessed that it will be MTpaint the hardest to install.
Yesterday i failed. Gimp is ok.
Have you some help to give me about installing MTpaint on Racy Barebones ?

Merci beaucoup.

Hi Pelo,

This is a good example of how to reinstall a program! Cool

First I went to /root/.packages/woof-installed-removed. This is a list of the packages that I took out of the original Racy-5.3. Scrolling down we find:
Quote:
mtpaint-3.40-w5c|mtpaint|3.40-w5c||Graphic|464K||mtpaint-3.40-w5c.pet|+gtk+,+jasper,+lcms,+libtiff|A simple GTK+ painting program|puppy|wary5||

This tells us that mtpaint needs "+gtk+,+jasper,+lcms,+libtiff" to run.

I'm too impatient to look for all these dependencies first and besides sometimes there are dependencies not listed. So I go to the Puppy Package Manager (PPM) and type mtpaint into the find window and click Go. Up comes mtpaint-3.40-w5c which I install.

Now I open a terminal, (console on the desktop) and type in "mtpaint". This is the message I get:
Code:
# mtpaint
mtpaint: error while loading shared libraries: libjasper.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Aha! Jasper is missing. So I type jasper into the PPM. Up comes jasper-1.900.1-w5c.pet which I install. Now when I type "mtpaint" into the terminal the program starts. Yay! Very Happy

Of course to be thorough I should track down those other dependencies and make sure they are really there, but of course I just start using the program. If I have problems I'll look for them then.

This is how to reinstall. If you're installing something from scratch you do it the same way but you can't look up the dependencies as easily. You can use the terminal the same way and it will tell you whats missing step by step. Or you can find the program executable, like /usr/bin/mtpaint (listed in /root/.packages/mtpaint-3.40-w5c.files) open a terminal in /usr/bin and type ldd mtpaint. This will list all dependencies and flag the missing ones.

That's the process. Hope it works for you. Cheers, J
anikin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:42    Post subject:  

jrb wrote:
I've reuploaded with my retested home copy, then I downloaded it, put it on a usb and booted a computer. Should be good to go.

Still no go, still pausing. Will it run on ext4 at all?
jrb

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:45    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
jrb wrote:

Still no go, still pausing. Will it run on ext4 at all?

I just setup the copy I downloaded into a frugal on an ext4 drive and it booted no problem.

Have you checked the md5sum of your downloaded ISO?
Code:
# md5sum ./racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso
a3c0f41e3172e8d2701ff93c47cf8a5b  ./racy-5.3-BABYbarebones.iso
anikin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb 2013, 16:47    Post subject:  

Hi jrb,

Did manage to tame the baby. But, (and it's a big but) it still can't boot from an ext4 SD card. However, it boots from a fat32 pendrive. With a pause, but boots. No go on ext4 even after a long pause. The SD card has been formatted thusly:
https://blogofterje.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/optimizing-fs-on-sd-card/
Later on I will test it on an ext2 partition. Just don't have one at the moment.

Thank you for your time jrb.
e_mattis

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 00:32    Post subject: Question on Racy barebones
Subject description: dbus not working

Hey all,

I'm trying out the Racy barebones and have a program that uses dbus. My problem is that when I start the program, it tells me 'DBUS error: Make sure DBUS session message bus is running' Sad

I've looked around and tried a few things, including reloading dbus pets, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas on how to get the session message bus running? Same program works well in Racy and Precise, so I figure it is something that got removed to save space. Surprised

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

E
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2013, 22:33    Post subject: Re: Question on Racy barebones
Subject description: dbus not working

e_mattis wrote:
Hey all,

I'm trying out the Racy barebones and have a program that uses dbus. My problem is that when I start the program, it tells me 'DBUS error: Make sure DBUS session message bus is running' Sad

I've looked around and tried a few things, including reloading dbus pets, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas on how to get the session message bus running? Same program works well in Racy and Precise, so I figure it is something that got removed to save space. Surprised

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

E

Hi E,

Sorry to take so long getting to your question. Must have got distracted by Valentines Day (too much chocolate). Laughing If you can let me know what program you're trying to get running and possibly a download link I'll have a try at getting it running.

Cheers, J
e_mattis

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013, 00:09    Post subject:  

Hey jrb,

Yea, the chocolate conspiracy Laughing mmmmm....

Thanks for responding. I think I have it now. I d/l the dbus_glib and dbus_permissive pets (sorry, don't remember where I got them, think it was in the ibiblio repo/puppy 4?) amd re-installed the program (efax). It seems to work now.

Sorry I forgot to update the post earlier, like you said, the valentine's monster Embarassed Very Happy

Anyway, love the options available with the barebones! thanks a bunch!

BTW, also working with precise BB - remaster giving me a fit! if I try to replace the /tmp/root files with files from my /root, it tells me there's not enough space on the device Rolling Eyes - i'm using a 100GB drive and a personal storage of 2GB ; the entire remaster is only about 353MB on disk Shocked ; shouldn't be a problem i would think. Confused Anyway, do you know if there is a problem with the precise remaster? Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

E
jrb

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013, 02:10    Post subject:  

e_mattis wrote:
BTW, also working with precise BB - remaster giving me a fit! if I try to replace the /tmp/root files with files from my /root, it tells me there's not enough space on the device Rolling Eyes - i'm using a 100GB drive and a personal storage of 2GB ; the entire remaster is only about 353MB on disk Shocked ; shouldn't be a problem i would think. Confused Anyway, do you know if there is a problem with the precise remaster? Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

E

I just booted up precise barebones and ran through the remaster procedure. It worked OK for me. I didn't add too much but had no problem copying files from /root to /tmp/root. 2GB should be more than enough personal storage. You say you have a 100GB hard drive. Have you checked how much free space you have on it? Menu-Filesystem-Utilities-Partview

I'm calling it a night now. Will check this thread tomorrow.

Bye for now, J
e_mattis

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013, 18:16    Post subject:  

Quote:
You say you have a 100GB hard drive. Have you checked how much free space you have on it? Menu-Filesystem-Utilities-Partview

yea, jrb, i actually have 111.3 GB with 107.8 free. One response in another post reported having this type problem before - had to do all the rebuild on the same HDD as the remaster program (99.3 GB with 98.9 free). I'm trying that now. Also noticed that a lot of the files are being re-writen back to default rather than the modified version. I've tried deleting and copying the mod files to /tmp/root but at time of compile, they all seem to revert.

Still plugging at it Very Happy

Thanks!

E[/quote]
rubantin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013, 20:40    Post subject:  

I am running wary on an old thin-client that I am using for serving web pages... It seems that barebones 5.3 is faster than regular wary 5.3... is that just my perception or are there background processes that are running as well?

Also, I install the LHMP stack in the regular with no problems, but with the barebones there seems to be permission issues... any reason why?

LAMP-6.16-5.1.35-5.2.9.pet (Should be called LHMP)
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013, 07:38    Post subject:  

Hi Jrb, thanks for doing these babies.

Any chance you could get Jack running on the Racy Baby Barebones?
It shows up in the menu, but does not come up when clicked on. (jack-d 0118.pet)
Was looking to replace your 431 barebones with Racy as a minimalist Puppy.
As you say, time moves on!
simargl

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013, 08:13    Post subject:  

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 10:48; edited 1 time in total
jlst

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 15:47    Post subject:  

Shocked Thanks a lot !!!!! Smile
Page 3 of 6 [76 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: