How to Make a Flash Drive Install Work Like a Hard Drive

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jakfish

#41 Post by jakfish »

Forgive me for thread-dredging, but I have to give a shout-out to rcrsn51.

I frugally installed a puppeee to an ssd partition and could not get out of the pupmode=12 state until I found this thread and the great init editing tool.

Put a pupmode=13 in the init and now I have a true frugal install on an ssd partition with no need to boot off usb/sd card.

rcrsn51--many, many thanks,
Jake

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

There was a suggestion from jemimah that "pmedia=ataflash" would also get you a PUPMODE=13 environment. Did you try that?

jakfish

#43 Post by jakfish »

I did. And for my specs: working w/ puppeee installed to sd card, then once in puppeee on the sd card, using Universal Install to /sda7, I could not get pupmode=13 no matter which handle I jiggled in syslinux.cfg

Jake

jakfish

#44 Post by jakfish »

Oh, dear, this didn't work out as well as I thought.

While I am running in pupmode 13, I'm unable to save manually. The cpu goes to 100% and no changes are written to pupsave.sfs.

I thought of a corrupted save file, but even with starting fresh, I wasn't even offered a choice to make a save file at the end of the initial startup.

If I run this puppeee, fresh, with the original init file, then I am offered a chance to save at the end of the first session.

Changing the syslinux.cfg file to pmedia=ideflash, or ataflash, or usbflash does not help.

Jake

Monsie

#45 Post by Monsie »

jakfish,

How about: pmedia=satahd

Have a look at this thread here.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

jakfish

#46 Post by jakfish »

Hi, Monsie,

Thanks for weighing in. I had never heard of that command and immediately tried it. Unfortunately, I'm still in pupmode=12. (That would be with the original, unedited init)

Thanks again for the tip,
Jake

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jemimah made her suggestion here and it apparently worked for nooby in Quirky. Maybe puppeee doesn't recognize "pmedia=ataflash".

PUPMODE=13 is a much more complicated environment than 12. You may not be able to force it just by changing the init.

jakfish

#48 Post by jakfish »

Yes, when in pupmode 13 and it was trying to save, it appeared to be making a copy of everything, if only b/c all the folders in root and above were suddenly in bold text, puppy's signal that changes have been made.

But it never finished the save properly and remembered very little of what I had asked it to save.

Jake

dalebednell

#49 Post by dalebednell »

Hi
Thanks for this script works like a dream nice not to have the wait to shut down. :D

DaveS

#50 Post by DaveS »

Recently set this up using Slacko 5.5. Using ext3 could not get desktop to initialise. Ext2 is fine.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

DaveS wrote:Recently set this up using Slacko 5.5. Using ext3 could not get desktop to initialise. Ext2 is fine.
Might have been something changed in woof. I can't see any kernel based reason (off the top of my head). Besides, ext2 is probably better for USB anyway.

What needs to happen though is more support in woof for F2FS, which is in the latest 3.8 kernels and above and designed for nand media. It's way faster than any other filesystem and pretty stable too. If you want to try it get either PHATSlacko, ThinSlacko or pemasu's latest upups. Idealy, when F2FS becomes the standard, we can toss out restricted saving. I'm not so sure it matters anyway, as I have an old (6 yo) kingston 1 GB drive that has been formatted a thousand times with different pups and filesystems and it doesn't look like failing. Of course it will one day when least expected, but who uses flash for mission critical anyway? It's more of a convenience.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#52 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
DaveS wrote:Recently set this up using Slacko 5.5. Using ext3 could not get desktop to initialise. Ext2 is fine.
Might have been something changed in woof. I can't see any kernel based reason (off the top of my head). Besides, ext2 is probably better for USB anyway.

What needs to happen though is more support in woof for F2FS, which is in the latest 3.8 kernels and above and designed for nand media. It's way faster than any other filesystem and pretty stable too. If you want to try it get either PHATSlacko, ThinSlacko or pemasu's latest upups. Idealy, when F2FS becomes the standard, we can toss out restricted saving. I'm not so sure it matters anyway, as I have an old (6 yo) kingston 1 GB drive that has been formatted a thousand times with different pups and filesystems and it doesn't look like failing. Of course it will one day when least expected, but who uses flash for mission critical anyway? It's more of a convenience.
With regard to speed, startup is a little slower than a HD install but I think that's down to USB bus speed.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#53 Post by DaveS »

I came across an interesting issue with this. The edit process does not work cross Puppy versions. Thus, if I want to edit init for booting Precise, I must do the edit process from within Precise, not say Slacko, and vise versa.
Maybe I should not have been surprised, but somehow I was :roll:
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Bert

#54 Post by Bert »

I just used this method again and it all worked immediately without problems.

For Precise 5.7.1 the line in initrd.gz where you want to insert "PUPMODE=12" is now line 919.

Thanks again for this great tutorial , rcrsn51!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Bert

#55 Post by Bert »

For those running pupmode 12 from flash, who would like to get rid of the warning popup
WARNING! Do not unplug usb Flash Drive.
I found how to disable it:

* Open /usr/sbin/delayedrun as text (right-click on icon, then 'open as text')

* Go to line 232 (line numbers in Geany: View>Editor>show line numbers)

* Comment out lines 232, 233, 234 (put a '#' at start of line)

like this:

* and save.

This gives 'the HDD experience' from a tiny usb key :wink:

Just remember NOT to unplug the flash drive! :lol:
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Pelo

Flash Drive enregistre en permanance

#56 Post by Pelo »

Very interesting ! on test bench.
All my moves and acts are permanently recorded on flash drive. Well, i shall come back and give you the return.

As a progress never goes alone, i am translating your topic to french with Precord.
Unfortunately, the MP3s are more than 250 K, i must adjust my recording time and set audio as mono.
Mp3 then are included in tar.gz to be joined in the forum to the english written topic.

Suspense, initrd.gz permuté, poweroff. A tout de suite.

Pelo

Ok Man ! session already saved ! it works.

#57 Post by Pelo »

Ok Man ! session already saved ! it works.
I run an old puprescue 0.25 remasterised with Super Lucid.
Attachments
flashdrive.tar.gz
français, écoutez, ici Londres.
(86.21 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

rcrsn51

#58 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Thank you for testing.