Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.6.2.1 with kernel 3.6.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#101 Post by pemasu »

Arefacti. Have you downloaded the browsers from my repo or from somwhere else. The browsers in my repo should work. I tested chromium-19.pet....it worked and then I created google-chrome-25.pet and sfs and they worked. I did upload them to the exprimo repo.

The straight link to exprimo repo is here:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/

You can find several browsers there.

Posting this from google-chrome-25

If you have downloaded the browsers from my repo, then something is wrong with your setup. You should post the error messages here, when you launch the browsers in console.

Arefacti

#102 Post by Arefacti »

Many thanks Pemasu answer to me.

I download the browsers from the Puppy Packages Manager

my install is frugal : copy puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.6.2.1.sfs, initrd.gz and wmlinuz to my HDD and modify the menu.lst of grub

The Puppy works great, except the browsers. tor even don't work.

I'll try to download it directly from your link and I'll let you know

Thanks again !

mikeslr

Problem with Chrome, Iron, Chromium in Exprimo 3.6.2.1

#103 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Arefacti,

Don't panic. Have patience. Pemasu has a real life outside of Puppy, and maintains several puplets. Sorry I can't help but I don't use the Chrome or its clones, and am currently not in Exprimo 5x3.6.2.1.

There are a couple of things you can do in the meantime.
First, always give your posts subject titles. That way, for example, someone familiar with Chrome and its problems who may not be using Exprimo may find it and provide help.
Second, just in case it's a conflict between hardware and software describe your computer: Processor? Amount of Ram? Graphics Card?
Third, and in this case most important -- identify the pets and sfses you've tried. There are many versions of Chrome, Chromium, Iron available. Which ones are you having a problem with? It's best to provide a link to the webpage where you got them so that someone using Exprimo 3.6.2.1 can download, test and see if your problem can be duplicated.

Fourth, the 5x3.6.2.1 is an "experimental" build. Try one of the 5x3.4 Exprimos
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5X/
and see if it has a problem with Chrome etc.

Fifth, abandon Chrome etc. Everything you do using Chrome is sent to google. Big Uncle is watching you. Iron does't, but can't use Chrome's plugins. Use Opera: it's almost as fast and your business remains your business.

mikesLr

James C

#104 Post by James C »

For what it's worth, Chrome/Chromium/iron will not run on my older Athlon XP/older Intel hardware.

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/an ... swer=95411

Code: Select all

Windows requirements	Mac requirements	Linux requirements
Operating system	 Windows XP Service Pack 2+
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8	 Mac OS X 10.6 or later	 Ubuntu 10.04+
Debian 6+
OpenSuSE 11.3+
Fedora Linux 14
Processor	 Intel Pentium 4 or later	 Intel	 Intel Pentium 3 / Athlon 64 or later
Free disk space	 100 MB
RAM	 128 MB

Arefacti

#105 Post by Arefacti »

here are the news :

Google chrome downloads in the exprimo repo of Pemasu works !

Before I downloaded to PPM, when I launch for example chromium the browsers in console, the answer was :
# chromium
Illegal instruction
#
or google chrome :
# google-chrome
(nothing)

@mikeslr : Thanks, I'll follow your advice!

Now, I'll try to get TOR in the repo of Pemasu, and I'll say to you !

thank you for your understanding, it is difficult to understand and help someone who speaks the language poorly.

backi

#106 Post by backi »

HI folks !

Regarding problems starting Google-Chrome 25....
I use Google-Chrome Sfs from pemasus repo ( see link he gave you )

you need probably libnss3
Downloaded it with Packetmanager libnss3

use mirrors.kernel.org

Without it did not work for me ... now does ...

Arefacti

#107 Post by Arefacti »

Tor of the Pemasu repo works too ! :shock:
Important thing to know !
I thank you all, now I can explore this wonderful Puppy.
backi wrote:HI folks !

Regarding problems starting Google-Chrome 25....

you need probably libnss3
Downloaded it from PPM libnss3 from repo

use mirrors.kernel.org

Without it did not work for me ... now does ...
Hello backi, thanks for your answer ! probably the good way, sure it help !
I downloaded google chrome from Pemasu repo, and it's work too.
....except for flashplayer but I still have problem to make it work, I have to go to version 10, and of course the browser tells me that the plugin is outdated.
I think I need to pass an argument to the command, but I can not remember which, I'll get (perhaps)..

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

Arefacti. As James C posted....it probably is your amd athlon based hw problem. Libnss3 tip was new for me. Might help in certain situations.

But...your browser and flashplayer problem is probably amd athlon cpu derived. I dont have much experience with cpu related problem. James C probably knows about them much more.

Anyway....I would stick with Firefox....lol.

artsown

#109 Post by artsown »

Pemasu, I'm going to report several bugs. The PC is a Dell 8200 tower having a Pentium 4
2.0 ghz cpu and 768 meg RAM. Installs are frugal. Wirelss PCI adapter is Linksys wmp54g v4.
Driver is rt2500pci

1. The now familiar wireless bug requires that I disable power management on wlan0. Seems
to me all the many pups having this bug (maybe starting with 3.2 kernels) could incorporate
a workaround where the default is no power management of wlan0 and the user would be given
a option of turning it on (if a laptop is detected).

2. The now familiar "mostly black screen" bug is there as it is on many newer Pups. Barry
had fixed the problem for Precise 5.4.3 but he didn't say how. All I know is that he said that
Rox Filer was failing to start. This particular bug isn't disastrous to experienced users who
know to restart X. It's not a video driver issue.

3. There's a new (to me) strange bug where if I try to use Simple Network Setup instead of
Frisbee, I see etho and wlano listed as both wired, So there's not a scan for wireless networks
at all. Frisbee must be used.

4. Another new (to me) and strange bug is with mplayer where most of my collection of
FLV files downloaded from Youtube produce video but no sound. Only a MOV file was ok.
Sound is ok otherwise. Here's a partial result of doing a mplayer - v filename :

rying preferred audio driver 'alsa', options '[none]'
alsa-init: requested format: 22050 Hz, 2 channels, 9
alsa-init: using ALSA 1.0.23
alsa-init: setup for 1/2 channel(s)
alsa-init: using device default
alsa-init: opening device in blocking mode
alsa-init: device reopened in blocking mode
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:326:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS failed (-22): Invalid argument
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Invalid argument
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
Trying preferred audio driver 'sdl', options 'aalib'
[AO SDL] Samplerate: 22050Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
[AO SDL] using aalib audio driver.
[AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
Failed to initialize audio driver 'sdl:aalib'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

I tried playing with mplayer setting options to no avail.

Art

pemasu

#110 Post by pemasu »

artsown.

1. I think rerwin might have skills to incorporate this power off fix when the rt2500pci wireless driver need has been recognized. You might post the problem, the commandline fix and your suggestion to him. He has done miracles with broadcom drivers. He created the logistic for them.

2. I think it is questio of slowing down the Rox starting. It has been created inside /root/.xinitrc:

#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

#w468 on old PCs rox sometimes does not start, see further down...
#120718 raspi sometimes need extra delay otherwise rox fails to start.
CPUSPEED=`grep -m 1 -i '^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo | tr -d ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d '.'` #my laptop: 933.000
[ ! $CPUSPEED ] && CPUSPEED=`grep -m 1 -i '^bogomips' /proc/cpuinfo | tr -d ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d '.'` #120718 raspi: 697.95  my laptop: 4789.47
[ ! $CPUSPEED ] && CPUSPEED=250
[ $CPUSPEED -lt 700 ] && sleep 0.5
[ $CPUSPEED -lt 400 ] && sleep 0.5
if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
I think you can find the right location to copy rows concerning cpu speed detection with slower comps. And copy that snippet to exprimo:

CPUSPEED=`grep -m 1 -i '^cpu MHz' /proc/cpuinfo | tr -d ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d '.'` #my laptop: 933.000
[ ! $CPUSPEED ] && CPUSPEED=`grep -m 1 -i '^bogomips' /proc/cpuinfo | tr -d ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d '.'` #120718 raspi: 697.95  my laptop: 4789.47
3. That one is new to me. I dont have solution for that atm. Use Frisbee atm.

4. I test downloaded .flv file and I get sound with it. I think this bug might be hw related. Of course exprimo uses my compiled ffmpeg - mplayer - etc apps and libs and I might have done something wrongly also.
But...I dont know now what. Alsa has been always mystery to me. I just cross my fingers and I hope that it works.

pemasu

#111 Post by pemasu »

artsown.

1. I think rerwin might have skills to incorporate this power off fix when the rt2500pci wireless driver need has been recognized. You might post the problem, the commandline fix and your suggestion to him. He has done miracles with broadcom drivers. He created the logistic for them.

2. I think it is question of slowing down the Rox starting with slow cpu`s. It has been created inside /root/.xinitrc:

#relocates right-side icons to actual right-side of screen...
/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7

if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
 rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
I think you can find the right location to copy rows concerning cpu speed detection with slower comps. And copy that snippet to exprimo:

3. That one is new to me. I dont have solution for that atm. Use Frisbee atm.

4. I test downloaded .flv file and I get sound with it. I think this bug might be hw related. Of course exprimo uses my compiled ffmpeg - mplayer - etc apps and libs and I might have done something wrongly also.
But...I dont know now what. Alsa has been always mystery to me. I just cross my fingers and I hope that it works.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#112 Post by pemasu »

Da*n. Double post.

Arefacti

#113 Post by Arefacti »

pemasu wrote:Arefacti. As James C posted....it probably is your amd athlon based hw problem. Libnss3 tip was new for me. Might help in certain situations.

But...your browser and flashplayer problem is probably amd athlon cpu derived. I dont have much experience with cpu related problem. James C probably knows about them much more.

Anyway....I would stick with Firefox....lol.
only to be useful for other, your flashplugin in your repo, works great too with amd cpu :lol:
:wink:
Thanks !

don570

#114 Post by don570 »

I made changes to RSH right click pet package that converts
mo file

I call it build_gettext....

a utility that I find very useful. It helps
translate mo files quickly, and it also checks the contents of
mo files quickly.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84133

artsown

#115 Post by artsown »

pemasu, first I have a dumb question. When you switch to enlightenment, how do you switch
back?

Second, my problem with mplayer sound turned out to be a silly user mistake. When trying
various audio outputs (it comes set to Default) I failed to restart the player after making a
settings change.

Third, I discovered that unlike other Pups, it didn't work to put the line iwconfig wlan0 power off
in rc.sysinit. It gets reset back to ON in squeeze. So I put the line instead in a startup group item.
Specifically, I located it in /root/startup/frisbee-tray right after the sleep 5 line.

Fourth, concerning the black screen at startup problem, I put all the lines in your upper (longer)
cut at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit So far so good.

As I was suggesting in my first post, I wonder why such workarounds for the wireless and
black screen bugs can't be incorporated in the several Pups that have the problems. We would
have to determine the best workarounds and then I'd be happy to run tests on my machines
here. I have four older PCs that are similar in that they all have pentium 4 cpus and 512 to
768 meg RAM.

Art

pemasu

#116 Post by pemasu »

Artsown. There is wmswitcher in the menu. I dont remember the exact location, but you will find it. Or just drop to the console state and run xwin jwm.

About black screen bug fix. It is already in woof, I just havent updated dpup exprimo since it was established. And I meant that you just edit the .xinitrc script by adding that missing code into it. But if it works in another place....well the happy endings is what we want, lol.

About rt2500pci bug. It is special for that driver. The fix should be targeted toward the need and usage of that driver. It is beyond me.

Arefacti

#117 Post by Arefacti »

pemasu wrote:Artsown. There is wmswitcher in the menu. I dont remember the exact location, but you will find it. Or just drop to the console state and run xwin jwm.

About black screen bug fix. It is already in woof, I just havent updated dpup exprimo since it was established. And I meant that you just edit the .xinitrc script by adding that missing code into it. But if it works in another place....well the happy endings is what we want, lol.

About rt2500pci bug. It is special for that driver. The fix should be targeted toward the need and usage of that driver. It is beyond me.
I know I'm a newbie and a very poor english language but,
when I got my eeepc, the wifi driver was RT 2860 (ok, it's not the RT 2500).
The only way to make it work was to blacklist it, and use ndiswrapper with the XP driver and frisbee.
So, surely don't help you but perhaps a way for you to explore ?

artsown

#118 Post by artsown »

Arefacti, thanks for trying to help but I have no need to use a Windows
driver. The wireless bug affecting the use of my Linksys PCI adapter
(and no doubt some other wireless hardware) can be handled easily by
making sure that power management is OFF on wlan0. The bug affects
other Linux distros and seems to have started with some 3.X kernels.
The symptoms include extreme difficulty in getting connected and also
dropoffs in download speeds.

Art

pemasu

#119 Post by pemasu »

Artsown. I have posted the problem to the rerwin for guidance to create usable logistic file for rt2500pci.
There seems to be only one chip id which the driver handles. It should make the logistic easier. If there would have been 20-30 different chips handled by same driver and only some chips would have been affected then the problem would have been 100 x more difficult. Of course the right way would be to patch kernel driver source and compile fixed driver, but I havent found straight fix for it.

artsown

#120 Post by artsown »

Pemasu, if you google:
iwconfig wlan0 power off
you'll find that users of hardware other than just my particular
Linksys PCI card are affected, which leads me to think that there
may be several or many drivers affected, perhaps. That's why I
thought a workaround might be best until Linux kernels are free
of the bug.

Art