Testing: Improved Remaster Script

Using applications, configuring, problems
Dougal

Testing: Improved Remaster Script

#1 Post by Dougal »

--------------------------
EDIT[b/]: latest testing can always be found on the last page of this thread.
---------------------------
New options: create iso, only create pup_xxx.sfs, remaster from HD installs.

Fixed a few bugs.

For a full HD install, you still need to have (somewhere: either on cd or HD) the pup_xxx.sfs file, to get the "pristine" folders from.

This is based on the remaster sript from 2.10-beta, but works on older versions of Puppy2 (I tested it with 2.0.0).

Please test and report your failures (and successes! so we know what it worked for).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
There was one bug I forgot to fix: when you chose to remaster in the root directory of your system ("/") it would mess things up...

It's fixed and I've uploaded the fixed version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2:
I fixed something else related to that first bug.
Also added copying of Enlightenment config files.
Last edited by Dougal on Sun 14 Jan 2007, 15:01, edited 4 times in total.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

Hi Dougal,
these are some nice improvements to the remaster script. I tested it on my already remastered 92 MB 210beta+kdelibs+k3b (so it was a remaster on a remaster). Only thing I forgot I still had my devx_210.sfs on the home partition so my remaster ended up 137 MB, but hey it was only a test and it might come in handy having a cd with the compile enviroment ready to go. I chose to make an iso instead of burning directly and then I burned the iso with K3b. I then tested the remastered cd on another PC, it worked fine apart from the minor glitch with the Xserver that I've talked about previously on Barry's blog, but that bug may have been carried over in my previously remastered cd so I really need to test again starting with an original 210beta.
Great work - it looking good.

Spindoctor

#3 Post by Spindoctor »

first of all I want to say this script is really cool. At least I think it is, because I still have some problems. :wink:

* one step before the programm tells me to select a media to burn to, I have the choice to edit some configuration file or not.

yes should open an editor.

well - that doesn't happen. when I click "yes" the next step (the one to select a media) appears.

* after selecting "create iso" (I haven't got a cd burner) a window comes up. it tells me

Code: Select all

mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - 'mnt/hda2/puppylivecdbuild/'
Finished. Press ENTER key to continue: 
can you help me?

jus407

#4 Post by jus407 »

thanks for your contribution i will test it out in a few minutes (gonna change afew things and see what all it does) although im not too hot about the still needing the original puppy_xxx.sfs file i think it would be best ot just get all its info off the hard drive and not use the cd.

Billcnz

#5 Post by Billcnz »

OK I did another test on a different PC. I started with the original 210beta and added firefox and then used the new remaster script. I didn't have any problems while going through the remaster but didn't choose to edit anything. I burnt directly to the CD this time - no problems. When I tested the new CD I still had the same problem with the Xserver: after selecting Xvesa X starts in very low color mode (looks like old 16 color DOS screens) and there was no window for choosing resolution and color depth. I exited out to the prompt and ran xorgconfig, after which I typed xwin. JWM started in Xvesa mode with full color and had the window for choosing the resolution. It's obviously something quite minor thats getting missed during the remaster as the original cd doesn't have the same behaviour. Is anyone else seeing this?

Bill

jus407

#6 Post by jus407 »

Billcnz wrote:OK I did another test on a different PC. I started with the original 210beta and added firefox and then used the new remaster script. I didn't have any problems while going through the remaster but didn't choose to edit anything. I burnt directly to the CD this time - no problems. When I tested the new CD I still had the same problem with the Xserver: after selecting Xvesa X starts in very low color mode (looks like old 16 color DOS screens) and there was no window for choosing resolution and color depth. I exited out to the prompt and ran xorgconfig, after which I typed xwin. JWM started in Xvesa mode with full color and had the window for choosing the resolution. It's obviously something quite minor thats getting missed during the remaster as the original cd doesn't have the same behaviour. Is anyone else seeing this?

Bill
Im not feeling too good but let me get something to eat, re-install puppy i installed 210 changed some stuff then reinstlled it agian i clicked wipe yet it didnt wipe the hard drive so im gonna reinstall it and check give me a few hours

jus407

#7 Post by jus407 »

ok well i installed some stuff and changed some jwm settings yet it didnt save the new custimazations to the iso, how should oyu run the script live-cd? mounted or not? does it matter? well im gonna try again tomorrow til then (and not to get you down i think its something i did as nothing was different form the original iso) although i do like the script now to get it perfected and have barry take a peek

Billcnz

#8 Post by Billcnz »

jus407 wrote:ok well i installed some stuff and changed some jwm settings yet it didnt save the new custimazations to the iso, how should oyu run the script live-cd? mounted or not? does it matter? well im gonna try again tomorrow til then (and not to get you down i think its something i did as nothing was different form the original iso) although i do like the script now to get it perfected and have barry take a peek
It shouldn't matter how you're running, I saved my changes to a pup_save.3fs and rebooted before running the remaster.
Bill

jus407

#9 Post by jus407 »

ooo, i just realized why it didnt work (i believe so atleast) i forgot to reboot so i bet the changes werent saved. which makes since cause

Dougal I LOVE YOUR SCRIPT!!!

i ran the script to make an iso from my ram and it did perfectly its exactly what i was trying to get ahold of thanks so much i booted 210beta and edited it (i only added programs from dotpup just added random stuff) and then rebooted jwm, mounted hda1 where the script was ran it burnt cd, booted cd, and i love it it has everything exactly how i ahd it in ram (except for personal stuff like cache which is good)
but anyway i developed some pretty bad insomnia and highly doubt imma go to sleep within the next few hours so i will continue to play around with it and update! great job!!! i highly recommend barry add this to puppy!!!

jus407

Remaster script test info

#10 Post by jus407 »

OK i tested really quick and came up with the following:

1. When i was NOT running in ram disk (live cd) i encountered problems including the script was unable to make ANY type of folder like /tmp/root, /tmp/etc it was even unable to gather files from my hard drive and from the cd itself it just ocmpletly missed everyfile i completly ran the script through and when it was done it said do you want to make an iso and i said yes but dont burn it to cd and an error message poped up saying unable to make iso as there was no such directories to make an iso (not in those exact word but you get the picture)

2. when running in RAM (live cd) i had a completely different experience and loved it, i ran 210 beta in ram and quickly added several programs with dotpup and ran the script to make an iso from the ram_02 folder (thats not the accual name but its something like that) and it did completly fine it was perfect not one error it saved my jwm settings my changes to the menu bar it saved my icon location on the dektop everything that truly is flawless in my point of view (maybe it could use some refining but it works just fine as is)

3. When booting i noticed the text that appears was longer there is a section that shows up it doesnt slow boot time down but it just adds text to the screen and i was wondering what it is and why its there (not bothesom i just noticed barry cut the boot time down and now all the sudden the boot script is longer?) just wondering no biggie

4. OK now for what i think will fix some of the problems, the script is set to automatically determine the hard drive configuration (what the version is, what the partitioning is etc) and i think that when you do not run it via live cd the script somehow messes up if you try running it on a partition that you booted from, so try to fix it by making it possible to manually configure the set up (where to save the /tmp file(s) to, where the operating system is at, what partition to use for 'working area' that way the script will not be messed up trying to locate /mnt/hda1/tmp/root when that fiel doesnt exist it is really just /tmp/ and i think thats what was causing some problems with me.
And finally, the text might need 'cleaning up' as soem of the prompts were a little unlear not understandable but could be clearer (especially the last prompt about uninstalling some files before booting your new cd, i understand that barry made that but its your script make it clearer, as i really dont know what is meant by that whole paragraph.

well thats it! good luck and if you want help 'cleaning up' the prompts just let me know and i will come up with something and send it to ya! and also thanks again and i really do think barry shoudl put this in his 210 release, just gotta get a few things changed around but overall its really good

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

Spindoctor wrote:* one step before the programm tells me to select a media to burn to, I have the choice to edit some configuration file or not.

yes should open an editor.

well - that doesn't happen. when I click "yes" the next step (the one to select a media) appears.

* after selecting "create iso" (I haven't got a cd burner) a window comes up. it tells me

mkisofs: No such file or directory. Invalid node - 'mnt/hda2/puppylivecdbuild/'
Finished. Press ENTER key to continue: 
can you help me?
I think both problems stem from the same source: it can't find the required directory.

It might have to do with the old bug I just fixed (see edit in original post).

I'll also have a look and see if I can find something (I'm always afraid I forgot a $ somewhere...).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

Re: Remaster script test info

#12 Post by Dougal »

jus407 wrote:OK i tested really quick and came up with the following:

1. When i was NOT running in ram disk (live cd) i encountered problems including the script was unable to make ANY type of folder like /tmp/root, /tmp/etc it was even unable to gather files from my hard drive and from the cd itself it just ocmpletly missed everyfile i completly ran the script through and when it was done it said do you want to make an iso and i said yes but dont burn it to cd and an error message poped up saying unable to make iso as there was no such directories to make an iso (not in those exact word but you get the picture)

2. when running in RAM (live cd) i had a completely different experience and loved it, i ran 210 beta in ram and quickly added several programs with dotpup and ran the script to make an iso from the ram_02 folder (thats not the accual name but its something like that) and it did completly fine it was perfect not one error it saved my jwm settings my changes to the menu bar it saved my icon location on the dektop everything that truly is flawless in my point of view (maybe it could use some refining but it works just fine as is)

3. When booting i noticed the text that appears was longer there is a section that shows up it doesnt slow boot time down but it just adds text to the screen and i was wondering what it is and why its there (not bothesom i just noticed barry cut the boot time down and now all the sudden the boot script is longer?) just wondering no biggie

4. OK now for what i think will fix some of the problems, the script is set to automatically determine the hard drive configuration (what the version is, what the partitioning is etc) and i think that when you do not run it via live cd the script somehow messes up if you try running it on a partition that you booted from, so try to fix it by making it possible to manually configure the set up (where to save the /tmp file(s) to, where the operating system is at, what partition to use for 'working area' that way the script will not be messed up trying to locate /mnt/hda1/tmp/root when that fiel doesnt exist it is really just /tmp/ and i think thats what was causing some problems with me.
And finally, the text might need 'cleaning up' as soem of the prompts were a little unlear not understandable but could be clearer (especially the last prompt about uninstalling some files before booting your new cd, i understand that barry made that but its your script make it clearer, as i really dont know what is meant by that whole paragraph.

well thats it! good luck and if you want help 'cleaning up' the prompts just let me know and i will come up with something and send it to ya! and also thanks again and i really do think barry shoudl put this in his 210 release, just gotta get a few things changed around but overall its really good
1) That's strange. it you type in a terminal:

mkdir /tmp/root
doesn't it work?? I could add an option to choose the temp directory...

3) I have no idea, but since I don't change the init script... you never mentioned if you chose to save system-specific settings.

4) I think the bug I fixed (see edit in original post) should fix this.
As for cleaning up the message-box... well, I didn't feel comfortable mutilating Barry's text too much... I did actuall take some out.
I'll go over it again today.

Please try the new version and see what happens.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Kal

#13 Post by Kal »

Just some feed back on the no iso for the coexist install. Ran the remaster script after managing to untar it with TkZip, Xarchive would not work for me. First ran PupBeGone and manually removed programs, that I didn't want or need. First try ever, on a remaster. On the old version I lost: firefox, cups, samba, etc. Of course this was my fault. I didn't edit the root and etc in the tmp folder carefully enough.

Saw there was an updated remaster, so I tried it again with a little more care on the /tmp/etc and root. This time everything came though the process with flying colors, and no extra calculators or seamonkey, etc. Checked the /initrd/pup_ro2 and yes, they were gone.

With compression and the program removal it saved about 300mb of space, for a copy of the frugal install on a CD. I ended with a pup_210.sfs of 229mb with devx, kde, k3b, kmplayer,xine1.1.2, xineui. full samba, cups, games, java, rox 2.4.1, jwm1.8rc, full perl and etc, all in there.

Really Super, Kal

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

Kal wrote:Really Super, Kal
Good.

Now, what about the others? Have you tried the second revision?

Spindoctor: I think I have solved your problem, try and let me know.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Billcnz

#15 Post by Billcnz »

Hi Dougal,
I tried the second revision, this time from a full hard drive install. I ran from a terminal and I noticed there were some error messages when trying to mount /mnt/hdc/pup_210.sfs on /initrd/pup-ro2
remasterpup2c.sh line 264: 7457 Terminated
(probably because that directory's not present on the full HD install)
Anyway the script continued and made the iso which I burned. I tried to boot the new CD and it started to boot OK until it complained that it couldn't find:
/etc/init.d/rcS

I didn't have this problem when I was running from the CD with a pup_save file.

Bill

jus407

#16 Post by jus407 »

sorry i havent been able to try it yet but i did dl it but i am swampped with work so i will let you know soon, and sound like its pretty much taken care of i will check it out soon thanks for your support on this topic and for everone wiling to test! (even though i didnt make it i still wanna say thanks to those who did test as it shows you care about puppy and its future!)

jam

Remaster 2

#17 Post by jam »

Dougal,

Tried your remaster script. My PUP_SAVE.3FS resides on the HD and was created using Puppy 2.02. I tried the remaster script using Puppy 2.10 Barry just released, and created an ISO which I burned to CD+RW using a Windows machine. When I booted the CD it gave be the following error:

ERROR, cannot find Puppy on livecd boot media
That is as far as it got in the boot process. Now I'm going to try the same procedure using the Puppy 2.02 CD I originally used to see if that makes a difference.
Jam

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

Billcnz wrote:remasterpup2c.sh line 264: 7457 Terminated
I actually think this is one of the harmless messages that show when the script tries to kill a Xdialog window that has alerady been closed (i.e. you pressed OK). Try looking at line 264 and see if it says "kill $XPID"...
I tried to boot the new CD and it started to boot OK until it complained that it couldn't find:
/etc/init.d/rcS
This is strange... Is there a /etc/init.d/rcS file at all in Puppy? It was supposed to get a "pristine" /etc and add some things to it. I'll try and take a look and see what I can find.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

Re: Remaster 2

#19 Post by Dougal »

jam wrote:ERROR, cannot find Puppy on livecd boot media
What has the new cd got on it? Try mounting it and see.
It seems like it can't find pup_2xx.sfs.

I think because you used 2.10 to remaster, the isolinux.cfg file requires a pup_210.sfs file, while the one you created is pup_202.sfs (since it takes the number from /etc/puppyversion.

Is that the case?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Spindoctor

#20 Post by Spindoctor »

Hi!

sorry for not answering sooner, Dougal!

I just tried to make an .iso with the new version.

This worked pretty fine.

Well, I didn't try the .iso yet, but it should be working... ;)

I didn't know exactly what to do at the step where I can edit the tmp/etc.
Also I didn't know what parameters to change in the boot script. Is it just about kernel parameters or is it also about keyboard layout,...?

One last question:
Why does the step, where the script reads the CD take so much longer than in the last version?