ArchPup - First Puppy with pacman for installing apps

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Scooby

#201 Post by Scooby »

But do you backup the old one? I guess its ment to be the one with random name

Is the snowflake wallpaper located anywhere else?

Hey, after setting there is no files in /usr/share/backgrounds at all
I have now no wallpaper at all

Something went wrong

simargl

#202 Post by simargl »

Maybe this script needs some polishing :roll: . Any ideas what should I do? Move default.jpg to /etc/wallpaper or some other folder
where no one will search it :lol:
Scooby original image cannot really be deleted, remove folder /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/backgrounds, logout and it will be back

mavrothal

#203 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Maybe this script needs some polishing :roll: .
Here is my patch to wallpaper.sh

Code: Select all

--- a/usr/sbin/wallpaper.sh	2013-01-07 23:30:06.000000000 +0200
+++ b/usr/sbin/wallpaper.sh	2013-01-30 19:29:26.000000000 +0200
@@ -2,13 +2,11 @@

wallpaper="$1"
 [ ! $wallpaper ] && wallpaper=$(yad --window-icon="image-x-generic" --width 800 --height 600 --file --title="Select the image file")
-old=$RANDOM
 walldir="/usr/share/backgrounds"

set_wallpaper() {
-  for i in $(ls $walldir --hide default.jpg); do rm $walldir/$i; done
-  if [ -f "$walldir/default.jpg" ]; then mv "$walldir/default.jpg" "$walldir/$old.jpg"; fi
-  cp $wallpaper $walldir/default.jpg
+  if [ -f "$walldir/default.jpg" ] && [ ! -L "$walldir/default.jpg" ]; then mv "$walldir/default.jpg" "$walldir/default_original.jpg"; fi
+  ln -sf $wallpaper $walldir/default.jpg
   imlibsetroot -p c -s f $walldir/default.jpg
   if [ "$(pidof conky)" ]; then
     killall conky; conky
Basically links to whatever file you want (so no size increase) and of course does not wipe out your backgrounds folder,
With this viewnior works fine as background setter
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#204 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: Yes. If you install thunar volman instead is much bigger with all the dependencies.
612Kb VS ~60 Kb pup-volume-monitor
yeah a bit different. Maybe I can tolerate it, have to think about that
somehow spacefm doesnt sit well with me

I think I can live without automatic detection of plugging of USB
I mounted a USB m
anually but it didnt show after reload in thunar?
Why is this?
mavrothal wrote:
Do you see anything? Mine shows an empty directory. Apparently a known bug of thunar 1.6
Mine shows? Maybe cause I fixed dbus when questing for battery mon
Attachments
thunar.jpg
thunar image
(170.9 KiB) Downloaded 382 times

Scooby

#205 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:Scooby original image cannot really be deleted, remove folder /initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/backgrounds, logout and it will be back
Yeah! snowflake is back :D

simargl

#206 Post by simargl »

Great marvothal, simple and perfect. No need to copy anything just symlink image, thanks once again.

Scooby, for me thunar showed USB drive only if it's plugged in on boot, but when I remove it, it would still
be shown in devices panel. Also newly inserted USB would never show.

I reported problem to pup-volume-monitor developer, but he never responded, so we must switch to other file manager
with proper USB drives handling.
Spacefm is very good for me, and it has some functions that are missing in Thunar like "Compress folder to archive"

mavrothal

#207 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: simple and perfect.
Not really! I could break it by trying to link to itself.
Here is a better patch that will prevent that.

--- a/usr/sbin/wallpaper.sh	2013-01-07 23:30:06.000000000 +0200
+++ b/usr/sbin/wallpaper.sh	2013-01-30 20:18:11.000000000 +0200
@@ -2,16 +2,16 @@

wallpaper="$1"
 [ ! $wallpaper ] && wallpaper=$(yad --window-icon="image-x-generic" --width 800 --height 600 --file --title="Select the image file")
-old=$RANDOM
 walldir="/usr/share/backgrounds"

+[ "`basename $wallpaper`" = "default.jpg" ] && exit 0
+
 set_wallpaper() {
-  for i in $(ls $walldir --hide default.jpg); do rm $walldir/$i; done
-  if [ -f "$walldir/default.jpg" ]; then mv "$walldir/default.jpg" "$walldir/$old.jpg"; fi
-  cp $wallpaper $walldir/default.jpg
+  if [ -f "$walldir/default.jpg" ] && [ ! -L "$walldir/default.jpg" ]; then mv "$walldir/default.jpg" "$walldir/default_original.jpg"; fi
+  ln -sf $wallpaper $walldir/default.jpg
   imlibsetroot -p c -s f $walldir/default.jpg
   if [ "$(pidof conky)" ]; then
-    killall conky; conky
+    killall conky; conky &
   fi
 }

== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Scooby

#208 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote: Scooby, for me thunar showed USB drive only if it's plugged in on boot, but when I remove it, it would still
be shown in devices panel. Also newly inserted USB would never show.
I mounted a usb from commandline and left computer for half an hour
When I came back it showed on thunar?

Spacefm is fine with original. I'm saying I probably could live with Thunars shortcomings.
Did you do something special on install or could I pacaman it on 132?

simargl

#209 Post by simargl »

Applied this new patch, also I remembered something more. What if someone mount a partition, then
set wallpaper located on that partition. On reboot default.jpg symbolic link would be broken. Should we think of that case?

@Scooby: You can install thunar using pacman, no problem. Actually I was patching thunar to
1.hide root warnings and 2.allow directly removing files without sending them to trash.
Found that patch in thunar-notrash in AUR.

mavrothal

#210 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:Applied this new patch, also I remembered something more. What if someone mount a partition, then
set wallpaper located on that partition. On reboot default.jpg symbolic link would be broken. Should we think of that case?
People can do strange things...

I guess /root/.start can be changed to something like this

if [ -f /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg ] ; then
	imlibsetroot -p c -s f /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg &
else
	imlibsetroot -p c -s f /usr/share/backgrounds/default_original.jpg &
fi
Another option would be to check for errors after imlibsetroot and if present default to the file in pup_ro2 or pup_a (assuming is not a full install)

imlibsetroot -p c -s f /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg ; [ $? -ne 0 ] && imlibsetroot -p c -s f  /initrd/pup_a/usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg

Scooby

#211 Post by Scooby »

more dbus errors of same variety but different application

installed udiskie

when run get error (same as with batti)
bus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper:

I did som reaearch and
did

chmod +x /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper

and then get a step further with error

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 127

Seems like there is a general problem with dbus?

stifiling

#212 Post by stifiling »

scooby,

if you keep messing around with the udiskie/gvfs...it'll work. it's what i'm using. i used on the dbus-helper file "chmod +us" and restarting dbus-daemon and restarting x...and soon u'll see the combination and order that works. u also have to create the folder /run/media/root. that's where the drives get's mounted.

i like that volume monitor better because i like thunar better. Also because i use gvfs-smb...to browse the samba shares from my other computers. using thunar's intergrated "Network" icon.

another command i was using to check for errors is:

udisks --enumerate
I'll try to find the exact order and let you know what it is, if i can find it before you do.

mavrothal

#213 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#214 Post by stifiling »

sim,

after the release of the much anticipated and long awaited 132...will you be doing the frequent updates like you were before? you know, like maybe 4-8 days later releasing 132-2, with the reported bugs fixed and workarounds included??

mavrothal

#215 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:will you be doing the frequent updates like you were before?
From what I see, not so sure... :(
At least not here. :?
Hopefully is about something/someone else.
Attachments
simargl.jpg
(79.64 KiB) Downloaded 765 times

stifiling

#216 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:From what I see, not so sure... :(
At least not here. :?
Hopefully is about something/someone else.
hmm, wonder what that's about. it vivdly appears to mean 1 thing. but like you said...hopefully not.

i was also reading into the 'slow releases' as having a secondary meaning as well. i view ArchPup as still being in alpha. how does it move to beta level, with the releases coming once every other month? Is this a decision done 'by design'?

If sim wasn't as smart as he is i'd tend to think, "Ahh, no big deal." But knowing that he is, leads me to think, "Ok, what's going on?"

mavrothal

#217 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote: hmm, wonder what that's about.
I do not know but Archpup_13.2 is in Sourceforge!

stifiling

#218 Post by stifiling »

mavrothal wrote:I do not know but Archpup_13.2 is in Sourceforge!
hey...thanks for the heads up. maybe i'm just reading too deep into it.

Scooby

#219 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote: if you keep messing around with the udiskie/gvfs...it'll work. it's what i'm using. i used on the dbus-helper file "chmod +us" and restarting dbus-daemon and restarting x...and soon u'll see the combination and order that works. u also have to create the folder /run/media/root. that's where the drives get's mounted.

Still cant get it to work

Stifling do you have thunar-volman install

dennis-slacko531

Booting Bad

#220 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Just stuck in some intermittent black screen flashing. Using a dvd burned with pburn. Um, I'm referring to archpup_13.2-20130201.iso.

EDIT: I'm moving to Precise 5.4.3 until this gets sorted out.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 03:46, edited 2 times in total.