Lucid Puppy no longer auto connects

Booting, installing, newbie
Paul Earland

Lucid Puppy no longer auto connects

#1 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. There I was all happy with Lucid. Now when I start up, it has stopped Auto Connecting to my wireless connection. So I go throu the process of setting up a connection to my wireless network. A window appears with all the local networks including mine. I click put in my key and after a long time it says it is unable to make a connection with it. This is when the big problem starts as when I try it again, all local wireless networks including mine has been removed of my computer. Even if a do a reboot to windows 7 I have no wireless local networks. I have to switch off computer and remove power cable and switch back on for wireless on windows 7 to work again. Dare not use my Lucid USB as this happens every time I now try to connect. Hope this makes sense! Paul

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Paul, you've got a tool in the menus named Frisbee. Try that and see if she'll retain your profile..

Paul Earland

#3 Post by Paul Earland »

A bit loath to try frisbee as dont know if I dare go back into puppy. Having tried a number of Linus OS over the last few days, the only one I like is Puppy but having lost all connectivity to my wireless network and also my neighbours network when connecting to Puppy it makes you a bit wary of tryng it again. The trouble is that this problem not only removes wireless from Puppy but also loses wireless connectivity when re booting back into windows7. There are a number of comments on goole, people having the same problem with linux. Thanks. Paul

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

I had similar problems when I first started with wifi . Which is only a couple of months ago.

I did not have any windows installed anywhere and I don't think puppy would be affecting that unless it is changing something in the router and windows does not see it anymore either.

Anyway I had to reboot the router and I only got one shot at it through Puppy or the next try it would report it could not find any networks again.

My problem was the driver for the wireless dongle was not working properly and I was lucky to strike user pemasu here who made a pet for me to install the factory driver.

So my suggestion is check what driver you need for the wireless dongle . You get an option to load a driver , maybe you can change it there. Frisbee did not help me at all just hid what it was doing

More info is needed though . Hardware has always been a problem in Linux -Everything is made firstly for Windows , but then Puppy does not send your personal details and emails to the government either.

There are some good guys on here helping now and waiting to help you Paul . Hope you stay

Paul Earland

#5 Post by Paul Earland »

Thanks for comments. This wireless problem with linux does also affect my dell computer and Windows7. I can switch my computer off and start it up under Windows and all my wireless connectivity has been lost, I cant even see my neighbours networks. Luckily the last few times this has happened my wireless has eventually returned. A few years ago I used Linux Mint, but this was a cable connection and I had no problems. Must admit that Puppy is the easiest to wirelessly conect to using the Wizard, without the wizard I would be lost. Have looked at Mint, Vector,Manjaro, Lubuntu and others, but gave up trying to connect my wireless connection. Interestingly on Goggle there was a write up of the best 5 linux distros and the critism there was the difficulty of connecting up to your internet provider and that people expected to be able to connect straight out of the box. Thanks. Paul

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

And more times than not, settings seem to stick when configuring @ the cli. In the least, you pick up a few pointers..

tytower

#7 Post by tytower »

I was going to ask what this "cli" is semme but I guess it is " Command Line Interface " or something like that.Let me know if that is not so.

Paul Earland

#8 Post by Paul Earland »

Think this problem with wireless connectivity is only happening with Lucid Puppy and that from a wireless point of view that Slacko is OK. Thing is I like Lucid more than Slacko and in general Lucid is working better than Slacko. Paul

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Sure I meant command line. I left it for Paul incase he wanted to poke around in his /etc/network-wizard directory..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Paul, if you'd run Puppy from a multisession DVD or CD, you'd have a better chance of figuring out what went wrong, or avoiding it in the first place. Just sayin' :)

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Perhaps a different approach? Sometimes it's the little things that make or break your setup..

And sometimes you need to add something to rc.local like what's covered by step six here.

tytower

#12 Post by tytower »

Semme wrote:And sometimes you need to add something to rc.local like what's covered by step six here.
Good one again Semme- got my rtl8187 adaptors -TPLink and Digitech loading at boot and saved the manual pain.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

You mean this past evening? With what CatDude posted?

rhadon

#14 Post by rhadon »

@Paul

If I understand you right, first everything worked fine for a while, and now not. This means, the problem is probably inside your save file and not Lucid itself. You could proof it by booting without one (boot option: puppy pfix=ram). If it works, can you remember what you've done before the problem occurred? New program installed or tested? Improper shutdown? Anything unusual? It would be easy if youv'e had a working backup of your save file :wink: .

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tytower

#15 Post by tytower »

Semme wrote:You mean this past evening? With what CatDude posted?
Yes I put this code in /etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 essid DLINK key 1234567890 mode Managed
sleep 3
##dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
There seems to be a hitch or too related to timing as its a slow process but I hope to get those sorted out

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

You could probably tinker around with the time value: dhcpcd -t 30.. I'd drop down to ten even..

tytower

#17 Post by tytower »

I've got to take that back. As it loaded it gave messages about" making file system useable......failed" a few times but eventually set up the xwindow fine . It created some problems for me in that I lost the retrovol icon in the tray and lost sound.

When I closed down I got these messages too and on reboot it insisted on checking the hard drive and the save file so file errors must have been present each time . It did that consistently.

I tried making a script with those lines in it in "Start" but this did not connect properly , so I'm back to where I was. At least though I have some clues as to how this must be done.

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Refresh my memory.. your savefile's an extension what?

If two- you might've had corruption.

With three? I doubt it..

Paul Earland

#19 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. Did another download of Lucid onto a formated USB drive. Then used Frisbee for my network connection. Very impressed with Frisbee it was certainly the easiest and fastest way to connect that I have used. Worked without problem for first couple of times I used it. Now problem with wireless has again returned. When I log into Lucid all wireless networks have been lost, mine and all my neighbours that I can normally see!. Paul

Paul Earland

#20 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1545. One of my keyboard keys switches my wireless card On and Off. What would appear to be happening under my Lucid start up is that somehow that is also switching off my my wireless card, so that I am left with no wireless connectivity. If I should do a restart of my computer (not turning it off) and remove my USB before it re connects I go back into windows 7. Checking my wireless connectivity I find that again I have lost it all and there is no way to connect to it unless I turn the computer off, remove power cable and restart it. The problem is also, according to doing a google, is that the connection key for wireless under windows does not work for Linux. It would also appear to be a not uncommon problem. Paul