Puppy and Firefox 17.0.1 - hangs

Booting, installing, newbie
eilenach

Puppy and Firefox 17.0.1 - hangs

#1 Post by eilenach »

Hi everyone,

I've been running Puppy (squeeze-5.X.3.2.7-SCSI.iso) on my Acer Aspire One A110L for a few months now. Initially everything was smooth and I got rid of the problems I had with Linpus. However, for several weeks now Firefox hangs almost constantly. Sometime for several minutes and quite often even causing the whole system to freeze completely. I just checked and the current version of the installed Firefox is 17.0.1. Any suggestions what to do? Change browser or? If so, any suggestions what would fit Puppy?

Thanks in advance!

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I use to erase periodically the directory mozilla softwares use to save preferences which can get very big and malfunctioning. Erasing it you'll start firefox 17.0.1 as a fresh install. Save your bookmarks. Then:

Code: Select all

mv /root/.mozilla /root/.mozilla.old
Start now Firefox as a fresh install. If you want to go back:

Code: Select all

rm -r /root/.mozilla
mv /root/.mozilla.old /root/.mozilla
I think it's clear. At the end I suggest to not update your functioning browser before testing it with your current puppy.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Yeah, I'd agree. FF issues are almost always cleared up with a fresh install.

Your backup is of course your curent profile >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default.

mill0001

hangups

#4 Post by mill0001 »

Hi, I'm using SlackO 3.3.3 and I had the same problem with Firefox until I updated to 18.0.1.
Now no more freezes and I'm a happy camper.

eilenach

#5 Post by eilenach »

Thank you all for your answers!

I'm really a beginner with Puppy (and Linux overall). I've now moved the existing mozilla to a new folder, "mozilla.old". But how do I now get a new version of Firefox? Over the command line?

Thanks for your patience!

mill0001

#6 Post by mill0001 »

Open up Firefox and go to Menu-Help-About Firefox, click on that and it will open a box that will say "Check for updates". Click on it and Firefox will update.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Uh, the OP's after a :wink: *fresh* install.

Eilenach- assuming the current copy occupies /usr/lib/firefox..

Dnwld from here and extract the whole kaboodle to the same.

It shouldn't ask about overwriting files, it should just do it.

If you haven't changed the name here >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default

You should be good'ta go..
Attachments
click-extract_assume-all_ok.jpg
(24.24 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
choose_then_usr-lib-ok.jpg
(24.12 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

eilenach

#8 Post by eilenach »

Edit: Update! For some reason it seems like it is now only the original icon on the desktop that's not working, I finally got Firefox started from the directory itself! 18.0.2 is up and running and seems to be stable! At least an enormous improval from 17.0.1. Thanks for all support! :)

Thanks again for the support!

Actually Firefox seemed to be working fine again, but before I really had time to evaluate that, I had a system crash. After that all I got when starting the Acer was a black screen. Anyway, I downloaded the latest bios drivers from Acer's homepage and now Puppy's up and running again.

But as for Firefox.. Now it won't even start when I press the icon! It seems like it's loading for a while, and then nothing..

I've tried deleting the existing .mozilla folder and everything in it, creating a new .mozilla folder and downloading the latest Firefox for Linux and extracting that file to ~/.mozilla/firefox/. Still nothing happens!

Any idea what to do next?

Thanks!

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

You don't create the ~/.mozilla folder. A Mozilla based browser does upon first run.

Icons are still in the menu, correct?

Is there an FF folder in /usr/lib?