Frugal Install to a Partition in SSD?

Booting, installing, newbie
jakfish

Frugal Install to a Partition in SSD?

#1 Post by jakfish »

I understand the difference between full and frugal install, but if possible, I'd like to make a frugal install to a partition in my ssd drive. The partition can be formatted to whatever puppy likes best.

I already have lubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 Premium (with BSD successfully installed), but when I click on ssd or hd in puppy universal installer, the installer only brings up the entire ssd, not its partitions.

Am I out of luck here?

Jake

L18L

Re: Frugal Install to a Partition in SSD?

#2 Post by L18L »

jakfish wrote:...Am I out of luck here?...
Why luck :?:

Here is how SSD looks in my box

After OK I (and you) will have some choices....
Attachments
ssd.png
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

jakfish

#3 Post by jakfish »

Wonderful. Thank you for the fast explanation. If you don't mind, once a puppy is installed onto a partition of the ssd, will it be a simple choice upon boot? I already have Lubuntu and its grub installed--will Lubuntu's grub give me puppy choice, or do I have to use a separate boot setup for puppy's frugal install?

Thanks again for your help,
Jake

capicoso

#4 Post by capicoso »

jakfish wrote:Wonderful. Thank you for the fast explanation. If you don't mind, once a puppy is installed onto a partition of the ssd, will it be a simple choice upon boot? I already have Lubuntu and its grub installed--will Lubuntu's grub give me puppy choice, or do I have to use a separate boot setup for puppy's frugal install?

Thanks again for your help,
Jake
Lubuntu's grub ( grub2 right?) may see a Puppy full install, but not a frugal, you'd have to edit it manually. Or the easier solution, after installing puppy, install also grub4dos, it'll detect your other OS and also Puppy frugals

jakfish

#5 Post by jakfish »

Okay, that makes sense. Can puppy's grub4dos and lubuntu's own grub (yes, it is grub2) play together, or will they fight each other for the boot menu?

Thanks for your help,
Jake

capicoso

#6 Post by capicoso »

jakfish wrote:Okay, that makes sense. Can puppy's grub4dos and lubuntu's own grub (yes, it is grub2) play together, or will they fight each other for the boot menu?

Thanks for your help,
Jake
Grub4dos will replace grub2. The only drawback is that by default, you won't have recovery mode for Lubuntu on grub4dos. So, either with grub4dos or grub2, you should edit something manually. Edit grub2 if you want to have puppy frugal on grub2. Or edit grub4dos so you have recovery mode for Lubuntu on grub4dos. I'd edit grub4dos, it's easier. Because you just edit menu.lst. With grub2 you have to edit a bit more and run update-grub. IF you want to use grub2, tell me your info on your partitions, where puppy is installed, etc, and i'll tell you what you have to edit

jakfish

#7 Post by jakfish »

You're very kind to help. The computer that's getting all this attention hasn't arrived yet. But if the gods of ebay are generous, it should be here in 10 days or so.

My present netbook is in good shape, booting puppy off an sd card, but with the new machine, I'm hoping to boot XP, Lubuntu 12.04, Fuduntu, and puppeee all off the ssd.

I will post back with grub2/grub4dos questions as soon as possible, and I thank you again for your assistance.

Jake

proebler

#8 Post by proebler »

Jakfish,
some Grub4Dos allow you to "Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed".
You have to find out which Puppy has grub4dosconfig-v1.7.2.
This is from one of my Grub4Dos' menu.lst, note the last title:
# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7.2
:
:
# additionals
title Bootup from HDD\nBootup from the master boot record of the hard disk drive
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

title Find Grub menu on HDD
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
cheers
proebler

jakfish

#9 Post by jakfish »

Hi, proebler,

Thanks for weighing in. The puppy I'll be using is a stripped-down puppeee (puppy 4.31) which does not have grub4dos.

I've found the pet for version 1.72, but it appears to be kernel-specific, no?

My kernel is 2.6.25.16

Best,
Jake

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

The latest version of Grub4dos is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

Only kernel requirement, that you use the latest Grub4dos version 1.8.0 for all the distributions using 3.x kernels.

Latest version does have some bug fixes and added features.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jakfish

#11 Post by jakfish »

Thank you. I'll install 1.72, then.

Jake