2012: What a Year for Linux

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#1 Post by James C »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unfx2qCj6Ao

2012 has been another year of records for Linux. The operating system is the fastest growing platform across multiple industries and is inspiring new projects every single day.

jpeps

Re: 2012: What a Year for Linux

#2 Post by jpeps »

James C wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unfx2qCj6Ao

2012 has been another year of records for Linux. The operating system is the fastest growing platform across multiple industries and is inspiring new projects every single day.
..with the video demoing a mac and google. ...now there's flexibility!

More broadly, the whole FOSS movement (Java, etc.).

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I thought the Slackware 14 and Slacko 5.4 as well as Precise Puppy were the best of releases this year.

The worst release of any os of the year is Windows 8. Windows 8 has to many problems and needs to see a therapist.

Colonel Panic

#4 Post by Colonel Panic »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I thought the Slackware 14 and Slacko 5.4 as well as Precise Puppy were the best of releases this year.

The worst release of any os of the year is Windows 8. Windows 8 has to many problems and needs to see a therapist.
Yeah, at the moment Windows 8 looks like the answer to a question almost no one was asking. Even Microsoft admitted to being disappointed to the intitial takeup when it was released.

Apart from Puppy PuppEX and Saluki / Carolina, my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer; Manjaro, which is based on Arch and comes fully featured including some very stylish Conky configs; and Stella, a CentOS 6 respin which despite looking a bit retro has everything working "out of the box" and it all seems rock solid too.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

...my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer;...
I think this is one of the distros to keep watch of this year --Ikey seems to be a perfectionist who pays attention to the little details... and he also seems very interested in getting feedback from the users. Not even a year old, this distro is currently ranked 17th in popularity @ Distrowatch... --okay, I know not to read too much into the rankings... :) Just as Linux Mint can be regarded as a polished version of Ubuntu, I think that SolusOS is becoming a polished version of Debian.

As for 2013, in other news it will be interesting to see how the OpenMandriva project will pan out.... a success of sorts or more failure?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Krishnamurti Naskar

#6 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

Who told MS and Steve Ballmer to think of releasing Win8(A loser indeed),being well aware of the fact that linux's growthrate is at it's best.
The upcoming millenium is going to be of Linux.
That's for sure.
Yay! :wink:

Some people say,XP was useable.
But after that,All disasters came following.

I think,MS would go open source for Win NT.
:wink:

Krishnamurti Naskar

#7 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

:lol: :wink: :D

Adagio

#8 Post by Adagio »

Next WinThing will have to be a proprietary Linux.
They have nowhere else to run to.

nooby

Re: 2012: What a Year for Linux

#9 Post by nooby »

Monsie wrote:
...my favourite releases last year were SolusOS, a Debian- and Mate-based distro by a former Mint developer;...
I think this is one of the distros to keep watch of this year --Ikey seems to be a perfectionist who pays attention to the little details... and he also seems very interested in getting feedback from the users. Not even a year old, this distro is currently ranked 17th in popularity @ Distrowatch... --okay, I know not to read too much into the rankings... :) Just as Linux Mint can be regarded as a polished version of Ubuntu, I think that SolusOS is becoming a polished version of Debian.

As for 2013, in other news it will be interesting to see how the OpenMandriva project will pan out.... a success of sorts or more failure?

Monsie

I looked at their forum and found this one on logging in as root?

http://main.solusos.com/showthread.php? ... t+password

Would I be able to get it booting on ntfs in frugal install?
I usually fail with Debian the only exceptions is SickGut's
own version the older one.

What boot code to use for Solus on grub4dos ?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though