Recuva 0 , Testdisk 1

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Barkin

Recuva 0 , Testdisk 1

#1 Post by Barkin »

I managed to corrupt the SD card which I forgot was in my laptop. It couldn't be read by Windows or Linux Puppy.

The Windows-only program Recuva wouldn't help, but testdisk running on Puppy saved the day ...
Attachments
On Windows apparently nuffink on SD card.gif
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Start of list of files recovred from SD card.gif
No your eyesight hasn't gone wonky, I've obfuscated the file names
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

Hey, I wanted to read the file list...

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Hey, that's really helpful!

Been thinking about giving a kid I know (he turned 9 recently -- already has an iPad and a Kindle Fire, and knows more than his parents about both!) a copy of Puppy, and a system to use it on.

This will help him immensely, I think -- he's the sort who will read "DON'T UNPLUG YOUR FLASH DRIVE WITHOUT UNMOUNTING IT FIRST" and say hmm, I wonder why, what does that do -- and then go and find out on his own! Oops...

So this is the answer to that quandary.

Barkin

#4 Post by Barkin »

starhawk wrote:Been thinking about giving a kid I know (he turned 9 recently -- already has an iPad and a Kindle Fire, and knows more than his parents about both!) a copy of Puppy, and a system to use it on.
Make sure you sanitize (overwrite) any old memory devices you give the kid, as testdisk can recover "deleted" files :¬0, below successfully recovering deleted bookmarks from almost a year ago from a memory stick I use almost daily, ( I'm surprised they hadn't been overwritten ).
Attachments
deleted files (red) can be recovered provided they have not been overwritten.gif
"deleted" bookmarks from Feb 2012 successfully recovered using testdisk
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Of course!

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Barkin
Would you share exactly how you used Testdisk to do this? It would be useful.

As I understand you were successful in 2 distinct different functions with Testdisk. How did you go about them?

Thanks in advance.

Barkin

#7 Post by Barkin »

gcmartin wrote:Would you share exactly how you used Testdisk to do this? It would be useful.

As I understand you were successful in 2 distinct different functions with Testdisk. How did you go about them?
I just downloaded and installed the testdisk .pet into Lupu 525 and ran the command-line version by putting the word "testdisk" into a console,
[ the program also appears in the Utilities menu as "photorec" (photo-recovery, it's not limited to photo files though)].
After you put the word "testdisk" into a console you just follow the the instructions which appear, selecting choices from a series of menus, (see animation below).

The 2 instances shown above were #1 an SD card which had become unreadable in either windows or Puppy linux (which was my fault),
#2 was a normally functioning a USB memory stick just to demonstrate year-old "deleted" data was still recoverable.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/testdisk
Attachments
testdisk recovery animation.gif
sequence of teskdisk [data recovery] screens as .gif animation
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 44 times