MIT scheme - sicp and sicm

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
emil

MIT scheme - sicp and sicm

#1 Post by emil »

When looking for open source functional math approaches I came across the scheme implementation which was (is?) used in lectures at MIT.

There are two rather famous educational books

Image Image

which both are available in html online versions sicp-online sicm-online

Both of them are covered in extensive university courses, so its not a casual read. But contents and and style seem highest quality stuff.

The books use the scheme implementation from one of the authors (Sussman) and a special package (smutils) written to do the physics for the 2nd book. The package contains edwin, an emacs like editor and IDE. Originally the software is distributed as a tarball, I put it into a pet, together with icon and a menu entry (in Development section). Else you can also start with "mechanics&" from terminal.

Download MIT_scmutils32.pet (23.6 MB)

it was build in puppy 431, but it should work on all 32 bit puppies.

further links:
To get startet: beginner.txt
MIT-scheme user manual
sicp Wiki (with exercise solutions)
Eli Bendersky's sicp review and exercise solutions
Reviews of sicp and sicm on Amazon

It would be interesting to write a wrapper for the sage notebook for this package. However in the meantime this is an excellent possibility to learn some functional programming :D.

michel804

Re: MIT scheme - sicp and sicm

#2 Post by michel804 »

emil wrote:When looking for open source functional math approaches I came across the scheme implementation which was (is?) used in lectures at MIT.

There are two rather famous educational books
which both are available in html online versions sicp-online sicm-online

The books use the scheme implementation from one of the authors (Sussman) and a special package (smutils) written to do the physics for the 2nd book. The package contains edwin, an emacs like editor and IDE. Originally the software is distributed as a tarball, I put it into a pet, together with icon and a menu entry (in Development section). Else you can also start with "mechanics&" from terminal.

it was build in puppy 431, but it should work on all 32 bit puppies.

It would be interesting to write a wrapper for the sage notebook for this package. However in the meantime this is an excellent possibility to learn some functional programming :D.
I am learning scheme using a programming development called DrRacket...is it possible to make an sfs package ? I am using Lighthouse Puppy 5.03 Mariner.
Please let me know what i need to do. Thanks
Michel

emil

#3 Post by emil »

I looked at the DRacket homepage, there are some prebuild debian/Ubuntu packages which you could try.

There is also the linux source code - how about trying to compile it on your favorite puppy? Usually it is just something like ./configure ; make; new2dir make install.

this will create a new directory which contains all program files, to create an sfs you can then use the command "dir2sfs".

regards
emil

michel804

Scheme - DrRacket

#4 Post by michel804 »

emil wrote:I looked at the DRacket homepage, there are some prebuild debian/Ubuntu packages which you could try.

There is also the linux source code - how about trying to compile it on your favorite puppy? Usually it is just something like ./configure ; make; new2dir make install.

this will create a new directory which contains all program files, to create an sfs you can then use the command "dir2sfs".

regards
emil
Hi emil, I was able to compile the source code successfully ! I am testing the result, so far so good...it was a good learning experience...I can now focus on learning more Scheme !!

michel804

MIT schem - sicp

#5 Post by michel804 »

By the way, I have the book. I am planning to read it this spring since i am not taking any class
Michel

emil

#6 Post by emil »

This is excellent news! Have fun and maybe share your package...
emil