Getting wifi to connect at boot up (Solved)

ahickey

Getting wifi to connect at boot up (Solved)

#1 Post by ahickey »

I have installed RetroPrecise Puppy version 5.4.3 on a laptop hard drive (no other OS).
It boots perfectly and works well.

My one problem is my network setting for connecting to the wifi are not starting automatically when I reboot. I have to go through the Network Wizard (SNS doesn't appear to work for me) every time I boot to get a connection.

I have saved the profile for my network connection so I just load that each time and then click the DHCP link to get an IP address and then I'm off. I using Puppy to post this.

Interestingly when I test the wlan0 connection and it passes I get the following dialogue.

NETWORK CONFIGURATION FOR wlan0 SUCCESSFUL!
Do you want to save this configuration?

If you want to keep this configuration for next boot: click 'Yes'.
If you just want to use this configuration for this session: click 'No'

The only 2 buttons I get at this point are:
[OK] and [Cancel]

So, no 'Yes' option to save the configuration.

So, my question is how do I get the wifi connection to be active from boot up.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Use Frisbee

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... recise.pet

Small download... click o n it

wait 15 seconds...click on it or use connect.

chris

jafadmin

#3 Post by jafadmin »

The method I use is to use a shell script to connect to wireless and put a link to the script in the startup directory.

Sky Aisling

Getting wifi to connect at boot up

#4 Post by Sky Aisling »

ahickey writes:
My one problem is my network setting for connecting to the wifi are not starting automatically when I reboot. I have to go through the Network Wizard (SNS doesn't appear to work for me) every time I boot to get a connection.
I encounter same issue on Puppy-528.005 with frugal install or Live CD startup.
Just tried *Frisbee* and it's working.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... recise.pet
Thank you, cthisbear.

Edit: Hopefully, in the future, *Frisbee* will show up in the *control panel* as well as the *menu*?

trueriver

booting into wifi in areas served by different wifi routers

#5 Post by trueriver »

I had been using Precise Puppy as it comes from the .iso, without adding any pets. If you use wifi from more than one location I would very much recommend adding the frisbee pet, mentioned by cthisbear in an earlier post

Like some of you I have been having issues with the supplied wifi networking. It does not like connecting at wifi hotspots in a well known restaurant chain. It seems to get confused as each location is stored under the same name but appears separately in the list of profiles. It seems impossible then to connect to any of them.

Interestingly, sometimes if the same laptop has recently connected from another distro (WattOS, a derivative of Ubuntu) then Puppy does connect OK. (recently seems to mean about a day, and may be the length of the "lease" from the hotspot's dhcp deamon - but that is only a guess)

Anyone wanting to try to fix the supplied wifi system might like to investigate the interaction with the feature of commercial hotspots where all your web requests are diverted to the log in page until it has verified your identity. It is only locations that work like this that seem to cause Puppy a problem. This may be a clue or a red herring.

Anyone, like me, who just wants something that works should take up cthisbear's suggestion to use frisbee instead (link in cthisbear's post near the top of this thread). That software copes correctly with connecting from diverse locations at different times. Big thanks to cthisbear for the suggestion ;)

Also, if you might be doing this, it would be a sensible precaution to download the pup file when you are connected safely (maybe through the supplied network wizard) so that you have it on the machine to install in the event that you do need it. It is less than a quarter of one MB so it won't take a lot of room even if you never find you need to install it. When the wifi fails to connect is not a good time to want to download new software :(

It seems to me that the supplied wifi setup system is more suitable for a Puppy running at just one place (ie, always connecting via the same router) and gets confused when used in a portable device. Those responsible for the next minor upgrade may want to include frisbee instead? (To be fair, I have not assessed its performance on wired connections)

Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.

River~~