Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
HiDeHo

#261 Post by HiDeHo »

well i have been studding the FAQ boot options page.
still a bit hard to understand the fraising of the options. and nothing seems to work.

here is my latest attempt

Code: Select all

title Fd64 611 (sdb2/Fatdog)
  savefile=ram:uuid:ceafdec4-2abc-4e42-ae42-7f0df00deeb8:/Fatdog/fd64-611-save.ext4
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz waitdev=5 search=2 
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd
this gives an error cannot find file.

recap:
This works but wont load the save file

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz  
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd
I have a usb hdd with
partition 1: fat32 for bootloader (use grub4dos).
partition 2: ext4 for several puppy os
fatdog is on partition 2 in folder /Fatdog/
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

Barbol

#262 Post by Barbol »

here is my latest attempt
Code:
savefile=ram:uuid:ceafdec4-2abc-4e42-ae42-7f0df00deeb8:/Fatdog/fd64-611-save.ext4
kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz waitdev=5 search=2
initrd /Fatdog/initrd
this gives an error cannot find file.
HiDeHo, the savefile parameter goes in the kernel line. Mine looks like this:

kernel /puppy610-fatdog/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda5:/puppy610-fatdog/fd64save.ext4

You can use the Savefile Argument Builder in the Control Panel and add its output to the "kernel" line in menu.lst
Good luck!

HiDeHo

#263 Post by HiDeHo »

Barbol wrote:HiDeHo, the savefile parameter goes in the kernel line. Mine looks like this:

kernel /puppy610-fatdog/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda5:/puppy610-fatdog/fd64save.ext4

You can use the Savefile Argument Builder in the Control Panel and add its output to the "kernel" line in menu.lst
Good luck!
thanks Barbol that did the trick. now it works for me

find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz waitdev=5 search=2 savefile=ram:uuid:ceafdec4-2abc-4e42-ae42-7f0df00deeb8:/Fatdog/fd64-611-save.ext4
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

HiDeHo

#264 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi here are a few things that would be good to have as standard in fatdog in the future. I am not sure if some of these are already setup.
  1. all browsers should run as spot by default
  2. pidgin should run as spot by default
  3. the adobe flash player settings has some issues. when click on the playback tab it shuts down. when click on check for updates nothing happens.
here are the first few things I have noticed will keep testing and see what else I find.

smokey01

#265 Post by smokey01 »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi here are a few things that would be good to have as standard in fatdog in the future. I am not sure if some of these are already setup.
  1. all browsers should run as spot by default
  2. pidgin should run as spot by default
  3. the adobe flash player settings has some issues. when click on the playback tab it shuts down. when click on check for updates nothing happens.
here are the first few things I have noticed will keep testing and see what else I find.
In the Seamonkey version, Seamonkey and Pidgin are set to run as spot by default. Look in /usr/local/bin for defaultbrowser and defaultchat then open with geany and you will see what I mean.

Another test is to try and download a file. It will place it in /root/spot/downloads which is probably symlinked to /mnt/home.

I have the same problem as HiDeHo with flash player preferences in the control panel.

Cheers

HiDeHo

#266 Post by HiDeHo »

more things i have found.

QuickApps: i found the file to setup QuickApps (cant find it again though) i ran the file and added the folders and apps i wanted. then closed. i found the file /root/QucikApps. when i click on it i get a message
no applet definitions found
i cant run the app or find the setup app again. this does not work.
FAQ How can I make a new pet Package?: this is good but it fails to mention the need for the devx app which is usually needed in puppy for compiling apps. does fatdog not need this ??? would be nice to link to the puppy forums / info for more detailed steps only if it relevant to fatdog though. (be nice to mention the need for 64bit source code as a reminder)
FAQ missing sfs creation info: would be nice to have info on how to create sfs files for use in fatdog.

HiDeHo

#267 Post by HiDeHo »

smokey01 wrote:In the Seamonkey version, Seamonkey and Pidgin are set to run as spot by default. Look in /usr/local/bin for defaultbrowser and defaultchat then open with geany and you will see what I mean.
yes i see that the browser and pidgin are set to run as user spot (also the iron browser sfs app runs in user spot)
exec firefox-spot. in other puppy versions they use su spot -c firefox
smokey01 wrote:Another test is to try and download a file. It will place it in /root/spot/downloads which is probably symlinked to /mnt/home.
actually /root/downloads is linked to /root/spot/downloads which is linked to /home/Fatdog/downloads here(i assume the downloads folder goes in the same folder as the save file or /and the other 2 main puppy files
smokey01 wrote:I have the same problem as HiDeHo with flash player preferences in the control panel
nice to know i am not the only one with this problem
[/quote]

jamesbond

#268 Post by jamesbond »

HiDeHo wrote:more things i have found.

QuickApps: i found the file to setup QuickApps (cant find it again though) i ran the file and added the folders and apps i wanted. then closed. i found the file /root/QucikApps. when i click on it i get a message
no applet definitions found
i cant run the app or find the setup app again. this does not work.
1. Setup app always accessible by running menu Personal --> QuickApps.
2. Or otherwise you can open /root folder, right-click on QuickApps and choose "Look Inside". Then create a directory there, then create symlink *inside* the directory.
3. If you are not happy with it, just delete the QuickApps folder and start again (or not).
FAQ How can I make a new pet Package?: this is good but it fails to mention the need for the devx app which is usually needed in puppy for compiling apps. does fatdog not need this ??? would be nice to link to the puppy forums / info for more detailed steps only if it relevant to fatdog though. (be nice to mention the need for 64bit source code as a reminder)
I thought it is obvious enough that if you want to compile you will need devx. Also, there is no such thing as 64-bit source code - source code is source code.
FAQ missing sfs creation info: would be nice to have info on how to create sfs files for use in fatdog.
Same as in other puppies, use dir2sfs.
actually /root/downloads is linked to /root/spot/downloads which is linked to /home/Fatdog/downloads here(i assume the downloads folder goes in the same folder as the save file or /and the other 2 main puppy files
Don't assume, if when you create savefile you un-tick "move Downloads folder save device" then it is not moved and stays in the savefile. Otherwise it is moved to where your savefile is (when you originally created it).
nice to know i am not the only one with this problem
This is a known problem for quite sometime. I don't have any solution and google refuses to help me. strace reveals nothing. Source code is not available for debugging. The joy of closed source software :)
But yesterday I found that non-english locales are available when the devx.sfs is loaded
Yes correct, you can also get the other locales from the package manager - but that will fill up your savefile. If you can run with devx always attached, all the better :)
Yes, it is a FAT filesystem indeed
I haven't tested this for a long time. When I use FAT I always make sure I use ASCII. I will do some test and get back to you.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#269 Post by gcmartin »

I wanted to know if FATDOG has KVM support in its system.

I ran the following command and the output looks a little odd. Should it had been duplicated?

# egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
How_can_I_tell_if_I_have_Intel_VT_or_AMD-V.3F?
Is the SVM flag accurate reflection for KVM?

Thanks in advance.

Amgine

#270 Post by Amgine »

Cool, a 64bit Puppy. I am downloading it now.

jamesbond

#271 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:I wanted to know if FATDOG has KVM support in its system.
Of course. When running as root:
1. Check for CPU capability: from terminal type "lscpu"
2. To get it going: for AMD, type this on terminal "modprobe kvm-amd". For Intel, type this on terminal "modprobe kvm-intel"
3. Get the qemu package from the pet repo
4. On terminal, run qemu like this: "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -cdrom fatdog.iso" and you're good to go.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#272 Post by gcmartin »

# modprobe kvm-amd
# lscpu
sh: lscpu: command not found
# pwd
/root
# whoami
root
# lscpu
sh: lscpu: command not found
# uname -r
#
"lscpu" command doesn't return results. I think there is something wrong with my desktop's terminal. Same terminal window where I had duplication shown in earlier post.

Ideas anyone???

gcmartin

#273 Post by gcmartin »

There are several QEMU packages in the PPM. What's confusing is the ARM designation in the filename.. Is this the correct one to download for the X2 CPU?
Attachments
PPM selection appears to be error2.png
Is this the package....The PPM also has others.
(27.6 KiB) Downloaded 1828 times
PPM selection appears to be error.png
Is this the package....The PPM also has others.
(25.32 KiB) Downloaded 1834 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#274 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:"lscpu" command doesn't return results. I think there is something wrong with my desktop's terminal. Same terminal window where I had duplication shown in earlier post.
Sorry, "lscpu" is only available in devx. Anyway, no need for that command, just to straight to step 2 onwards.

Yes, that's the correct package - see the attached image. I really should remove the old qemu package.

Barbol, I did a quick test on FAT, as long as when I created the file when I was in UTF8 locale, the filename shows correctly on both Rox and terminal. Let me know how it goes with you.
Attachments
qemu-pkg.png
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 1814 times

Barbol

#275 Post by Barbol »

Barbol, I did a quick test on FAT, as long as when I created the file when I was in UTF8 locale, the filename shows correctly on both Rox and terminal. Let me know how it goes with you.
Jamesbond, the problem are the special spanish characters, the files in red are the ones containing those characters. It seems that fatdog is not using UTF-8 encoding when mounting FAT partitions. But I think I found a solution for this, adding the 'utf8' in the mount options does the trick:

# mount | grep sda7
/dev/sda7 on /mnt/sda7 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0027,dmask=0027,codepage=cp850,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
# ls /mnt/sda7/Test/*
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Debian-6.0.6   /mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Slacko-540
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Lubuntu-12.04  /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Fatdog64-610
/mnt/sda7/Test/?and?_Racy-530       /mnt/sda7/Test/??????????_ubuntu-10.04

/mnt/sda7/Test/Racy:
??????????.VT  ??????????.X

/mnt/sda7/Test/Ubuntu.10.04:
??????????.C  ??????????.X
# umount /mnt/sda7
# mount -t vfat -o utf8 /dev/sda7 /mnt/sda7
# mount | grep sda7
/dev/sda7 on /mnt/sda7 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
# ls /mnt/sda7/Test/*
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ã?andú_Fatdog64-610  /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Racy-530
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Debian-6.0.6    /mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Slacko-540
/mnt/sda7/Test/Ñandú_Lubuntu-12.04   /mnt/sda7/Test/ñáñìñüñẽñô_ubuntu-10.04

/mnt/sda7/Test/Racy:
ñáñìñüñẽñô.X  ñáñìñüñõñê.VT

/mnt/sda7/Test/Ubuntu.10.04:
ñáñìñüñêñô.C  ñáñìñüñẽñô.X
# 
I added the 'utf8' option in fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh and voilà! no more red files in Rox.
I tested ntfs too, no issues with special chars there..

Here is a nice link with a lot of info (in spanish) regarding all encoding stuff for spanish speakers. Maybe it helps others too:
http://www.vicente-navarro.com/blog/200 ... aracteres/
If you can run with devx always attached, all the better
I ran localdef and a folder named es_AR.utf-8 was created in the savefile. Is anything else needed? I unloaded the devx.sfs and the spanish locale seems to be working still.

Barbol

jamesbond

#276 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Barbol.

It's a bit confusing because even without "utf8", FAT (when used as vfat) is capable of storing filenames with unicode characters. I could successfully create and later display filenames with odd characters in FAT (as long as my locale is UTF8) without "utf8" keyword.

Once I mount FAT with "utf8" keyword, however, those filenames show as garbage. I can then create new filenames with unicode characters again and they would display correctly - as long as I stay in "utf8" option.

As soon as I un-mount and mount them again - without utf8 - my original filenames works fine, but those created during the time I had it mounted with "utf8" displays as garbage.

Conclusion: I can store unicode characters in filenames, with or without "utf8" options, but they are mutually incompatible to each other.

In the interest of compatibility with other puppies, I will add "utf8" for FAT mount options in next release of Fatdog. The workaround you did in mount-helper is the correct one.

Regarding the locale - you're right, once the en_AR.UTF-8 locale has been created, the original source (in devx) is no longer needed.

cheers!

ally

#277 Post by ally »

hey all

I have recently started using fatdog64-611 firefox as my main distro on a lenovo t61 and also an amd sockt 939 desktop

I have had a little help from smokey (thanks) with sorting running firefox as root but have a couple of small issues I would like help with please:

on both machines I have seperate partitions for the OS's and data, how to I set up a samba share to the 'data' partitions (I can only get them to see the 'downloads' folder)

I am having trouble with the vncviewer which appears to break following install, works ok after initial install and fails on subsequent use (dialog box just hangs)

I am unable to install bookmarks from html file (have followed html to downloads then open ff instructions)

thanks in advance and thanks to the devs for a wonderful distro

:)

oohh - sorry one more, I have installed the ip-up script to use opendns servers which I have installed in /etc/ppp and linked to the startup folder but it doesn't run at boot?

that's it!!

smokey01

#278 Post by smokey01 »

ally have a look at this doc I put together.

http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... FatDog.pdf

ally

#279 Post by ally »

hey smokey

I already have that - thanks, I have just checked the samba section again and can see the instructions I missed before for adding share locations - my bad!

:)

RandSec

Multisession Save

#280 Post by RandSec »

The idea here is to take a Puppy DVD to an arbitrary PC station, run and configure Firefox, and save the updated system on the DVD, all without using the PC hard drive. (These stations have no hard drive.) Most Puppy versions will simply recover the updated system transparently on the next boot, but Fatdog64 is not doing that for me. Although I have been using Puppy for years, always from DVD, and so am well acquainted with .iso's and DVD's and multisession updates, I cannot even start with Fatdog64. So I have tried to narrow everything down to a simple, repeatable, experiment which anyone can do in an hour or so:

1. Boot from a Puppy DVD, e.g., Lighthouse64
2. Download Fatdog64-611-firefox.iso
3. Burn iso to DVD+RW with Burniso2cd and verify OK
4. Boot from the resulting Fatdog64 DVD
5. Bring up Firefox, and add an add-on (e.g., LastPass )
6. Restart Firefox, see active add-on, close Firefox
7. Power-off => Save (need to check multisession box)
(perhaps 1 time in 10 the save will fail; if so, start over)
8. Boot the updated Fatdog64 DVD
9. Bring up Firefox: the add-on is gone (apparently all Firefox config is gone)

Since Lighthouse64 works, with the exact same hardware, I do not see an equipment issue on my end. But PC's with hard drives (especially with Puppy save files) might possibly deliver different results and so hide the problem. Maybe.

So what am I doing wrong?
MB: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, APU: AMD A4 5300 3.6GHz Dual-Core,
8GB RAM, no hard drive, Lighthouse64 5.15F Puppy Linux from DVD