Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 15:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
FSF Petition against Secure Boot
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
James C

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 13:19    Post subject:  FSF Petition against Secure Boot  

If you disagree with Secure Boot consider signing the petition....

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot

Quote:
Will your computer's "Secure Boot" turn out to be "Restricted Boot"?
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 13:55    Post subject:  

that petition is old. Plus Microsoft wouldn't really listen to the minority (and that minority is the Linux User). MS can really do what ever they want as long as they have multiple governments on their side.

EDIT: Also Secure Boot is disable-able

Amgine

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 15:03    Post subject:  

Plus
There are also a lot of new options, Grub 2 and another called "Shim". I do no think this is a problem anymore.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 16:57    Post subject:  

Microsoft have been very cagey about how they implement "secure boot". If a PC vendor wishes to carry the windows 8 logo then they must implement secure boot. Now, this, as I understand, is firmware that replaces the traditional BIOS, much like macs do it. The problem then becomes different for every different PC

https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi_duet_builds/pages/How_UEFI_booting_works

It's a complex problem with more than one answer.

PS: I signed, around number 41000

8-bit

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 20:39    Post subject:  

I also signed that petition.
But what got my attention afterward was an email supposedly from FSF requesting money to support their efforts to fight secure boot.
Smithy

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 04:25    Post subject:  

From the tone of the website, this secure boot thing seems to be targetted towards females only?

"This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts".
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 07:55    Post subject:  

Its because there is no gender neutral way to refer to a single person in the English language. This has been covered in another murga topic. You either have to use male or female orientation or the clunky s/he his/her. Sometimes those conscious of the default male orientation use the female one for a change.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 14:26    Post subject:  

I signed the petition, knowing it won't do anything. Resistance is resistance, however futile.

If this Secure Boot garbage takes over, I'll just cobble computers together with old parts, until they make it illegal to have old parts under the heading of "national security" or "cybersecurity" or some other BS.

Hm. Secure Boot, SB. Bull****, BS.

I think I just noticed something.

Also, isn't it amazing how the human need for safety and one's internal fear mechanisms (rather a linked pair) are so strong that any perceived threat, however real or fake, has to be addressed almost immediately? Combine that with peoples' current DRASTIC lack of understanding about computers and you get a pile of sheep that will follow the fear-mongers wherever they go... just on the off chance that these fear-mongers are right (which they almost never are).

The world is mad.

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 15:04    Post subject:  

Sorry Windows 8 and Windows 8 PCs already has Secure Boot.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2013, 21:00    Post subject:  

The wording in that article says:
Quote:
When done correctly, "Secure Boot" is designed to protect against malware by preventing computers from loading unauthorized binary programs when booting.
I think an easier way than forcing the user to have a locked up BIOS would be for Microsoft to release their OS on a CD.

That way they could guarantee it would load an "un-tampered" OS into memory.

Of course, the OS code would have to be secure first.... Slight problem for Microsoft.

So by locking down the BIOS what they want to achieve is a secure way to load an insecure operating system. Marvellous. I guess then we will have to tick the box that says "check to allow Microsoft (trusted corporation) to update your secure BIOS every time I connect to the internet"

"Please wait while the computer applies 46 security updates to your BIOS. Do not shut down or power off until all updates are applied..."

Maybe I could support this technology when Microsoft announces that they have issued their last security patch and the OS is now secure.

Not holding my breath.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan 2013, 21:21    Post subject:  

Since the BIOS cam up just now in my head, someone told me that their MSI Motherboard has a Web Browser built-in, wow that means trouble.
Keef

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2013, 14:43    Post subject:  

Probably referring to Winki
Panic over...
linuxbear

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2013, 15:38    Post subject:  

darkcity wrote:
Its because there is no gender neutral way to refer to a single person in the English language. This has been covered in another murga topic. You either have to use male or female orientation or the clunky s/he his/her. Sometimes those conscious of the default male orientation use the female one for a change.

if one is careful, they can certainly find a gender neutral method to convey information
linuxbear

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2013, 15:43    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
peoples' current DRASTIC lack of understanding about computers
The world is mad.

They do not want to understand. They want computers to be an appliance. My sister decided not to use dropbox to share family photos because she did not want to take the time to learn how to do it.
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan 2013, 17:44    Post subject:  

linuxbear wrote:
They do not want to understand. They want computers to be an appliance. My sister decided not to use dropbox to share family photos because she did not want to take the time to learn how to do it.

That, to me, is any number of things --
- it is lazy; they are choosing the 'easy' path, rather than the smart path -- it's really not easier, and it fails to enrich the mind in the process.

- it is myopic; they could save a lot of people a lot of trouble if they did learn -- even if they could not do repairs themselves, they'd at least save the techs a lot of trouble doing diagnostics if they knew what they were talking about.

- it is costly; most people don't have a friendly nerd like me -- so they pay others to do what they themselves will not. Yes, it is easier, in the narrow sense that they didn't have to diagnose and fix it themselves -- but is it worth the expense that most people pay at eg Best Buy to get a "quick fix" for their computer? (eg removing a virus by wiping the hard drive and hoping the user has good backups) My answer is "**** NO!"

- it is hypocritical. Why do they expect someone else to do what they will not themselves do? I realize that there's an element of that to everyone (I myself will eat cooked meat, but I am quite squeamish around the raw stuff and would never want to work in a meatpacking plant), but this is a little more extreme to me. Maybe this one's just me. Not sure.

I would have no problems with this attitude to a limited extent -- someone who was content to be able to dust their desktop's innards twice a year (double that if they have pets) and do very simple hardware repairs (eg adding a data-only hard drive or replacing optical drives or RAM). I really don't expect more than that of the average Tom or Jane. But they should know at least that.

Further, I feel that this all is a cultural trend -- we as a culture, if not as collective humanity, want things to be easier than they are. Our idea of "a better world" is still one in which there are servants for everyone. It's just that those servants are technological instead of biological -- and we like to think that we're not creating new moral issues with that idea -- when, in fact, they're flooding in and we're just refusing to deal with them now.

Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: