Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#241 Post by jamesbond »

Barbol wrote:I may have found a minor bug in the fatdog's menu. I have an install with grafical login and Openbox WM, where the main menu option "Quit X server" doesn't do anything. It works correctly with console login..
When you run graphical login it is *not* possible to Quit the X server. Quitting the X server has the same effect as "restarting" X server. If you want access to your console, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 - but the X server is still there, you can switch back to it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F4 anytime. I have updated the terms to be clearer for future releases.

Regarding unprintable characters in filenames, I remember that you can also try editing /etc/codepage and replace that with 850 or 860.
This will change the codepage used to mount FAT filesystems, without changing the console keymap. If your problem happens with other filesystems - then the codepaget thingy won't fix it.
gcmartin wrote:Maybe there is another way.
Such as?
bruno wrote:Is the mount-helper-fix pet also needed for 601?
Yes, if you have that problem. If you don't have any other Linuxes installed, then it is not necessary (=the problem won't affect you).
spandey wrote:Has anyone tried browsing Linuxmint files from Lucid 5.2.8 ? I get the same problem.
No idea. Lucid uses a totally different script to perform the mount/un-mounting. You should ask playdayz :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Anniekin

#242 Post by Anniekin »

fatdog 610 rox-filer 'open as text' doesn't work

Gobbi

#243 Post by Gobbi »

Yes, there are files that Rox-filer can't open in that way...
You could get a hint on what's in those files if you look in Properties...

Barbol

#244 Post by Barbol »

jamesbond wrote:When you run graphical login it is *not* possible to Quit the X server. Quitting the X server has the same effect as "restarting" X server.
Oh, I thought it will quit X as same as in autologin or console mode. But it doesn't restart de X neither, from /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/default/panels/panel:

Code: Select all

name=Quit X server
action=killall xinit
image=mini-x
and from command line:

# killall xinit
killall: xinit: no process killed
Regarding unprintable characters in filenames, I remember that you can also try editing /etc/codepage and replace that with 850 or 860.
Thanks for remeber this!! I tried editing /etc/codepage but changes dissapeared after rebooting, and it doesn't seem to make any differrence. I can see the characters, but the filename appears in red with the legend "This filename is no valid UTF-8. You should rename it". By the way, I was playing a little with Xdialog boxes for a script the last days, and having problem with spanish characters too. If I edit script the from within the virtual terminal (with vi or mp) I get boxes where the special character goes in the Xdialog window. But if I edit it with geany I have no problem, the chars appeared as spected. And if I create a file with spanish chars in the terminal, then it shows in red in Rox's with the same "no valid" legend. It seems like X and terminal emulator uses different charmap, is it posible?

gcmartin

#245 Post by gcmartin »

Anniekin wrote:
gcmartin wrote:The root & non-root decision process may not necessarily be a good one.
its the easiest way for a puppy distro author to set up restrictions on internet activity. if there's an older method i do not know of it. the multi user .pet? its easy to manage users with terminal commands like adduser or useradd
Sorry to @Anniekin and anyone else who saw the post that my quote was taken from. I should have been more clear.

That post is addressing issues seen when FATDOG boots on a PC that has other Operating Systems already installed, where rights on drive folders are changed in such a way as to incur problems when trying to boot those existing OS after FATDOG is shutdown.
This is what couple of us are drawing attention to.

Sorry for any confusion. The word "root" in Linux can refer several different things, in context. Sorry.

jamesbond

#246 Post by jamesbond »

Barbol, that "killall xinit" is gone in the next release when you use the graphical login. Graphical login doesn't start the graphical desktop using "xinit", so there is nothing to kill. Instead of "killall xinit", it should be "wmexit logout".

Also, what is the filesystem you're having problem with? I always assume it is FAT (because ext2/3/4 works, I think NTFS works too), but is it? For the other problem, are you using UTF8 locale? I.e. in terminal, type "echo $LANG" and does the output ends with utf8? E.g. mine is en_AU.UTF-8.

I will look into that codepage stuff, it should not be overwritten at every reboot.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Gnuxo

#247 Post by Gnuxo »

Can I install playonlinux on Fatdog64?

Anniekin

#248 Post by Anniekin »

@Gobbi:
im talkin about .txt files that geany can open but cant be opened via rox-filers 'open as text' context menu

@gcmartin sorry for misunderstanding someone else was talking about permission issues too

HiDeHo

#249 Post by HiDeHo »

fatdog64-611-firefox.iso has an error.

there is no fatdog.sfs file in the iso after several downloads. The md5sum is correct.

as far as i understand all puppy iso files should have intrid.gz, vmlinux, and puppy.sfs to be able to boot.

any ideas.
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

smokey01

#250 Post by smokey01 »

The fatdog.sfs file is inside the initrd file, note there is no gz on the end of initrd.
HiDeHo wrote:fatdog64-611-firefox.iso has an error.

there is no fatdog.sfs file in the iso after several downloads. The md5sum is correct.

as far as i understand all puppy iso files should have intrid.gz, vmlinux, and puppy.sfs to be able to boot.

any ideas.

smokey01

#251 Post by smokey01 »

Anniekin wrote:@Gobbi:
im talkin about .txt files that geany can open but cant be opened via rox-filers 'open as text' context menu

@gcmartin sorry for misunderstanding someone else was talking about permission issues too
Text files open fine here, both in the seamonkey and firefox version of 610.

To be sure we are talking about the same thing:
In Rox, right mouse click on a text file then choose 'open as text'

It also opens if you left click on the file or 'open with geany'

Cheers

HiDeHo

#252 Post by HiDeHo »

smokey01 wrote:The fatdog.sfs file is inside the initrd file, note there is no gz on the end of initrd.
ok thanks its just weird and not like most other puppy os.

how am i supposed to get the 3 files to put on my usb to boot fatdog.

smokey01

#253 Post by smokey01 »

HiDeHo wrote:
smokey01 wrote:The fatdog.sfs file is inside the initrd file, note there is no gz on the end of initrd.

You don't. You only need the two.

Something like this in the menu.lst:

title FatDog 6.11
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /fd64-611/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64-611/fd64save.ext4
initrd /fd64-611/initrd
Last edited by smokey01 on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

HiDeHo

#254 Post by HiDeHo »

smokey01 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:

You don't. You only need the two.

Something like this in the menu.lst:

title FatDog 6.11
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /fd64-611/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64-611/fd64save.ext4
initrd /fd64-611/initrd
i worked it out myself using my menu.ist setup.

title Fd64 611 (sdb2/Fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash psubdir=Fatdog 
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd
This is the standard grub4dos format

using "psubdir=Fatdog" tells the grub4dos (and I believe also grub) boot loader to look in /Fatdog for all files then there is no need to use the "savefile=..." option you have ^ especially as i boot from usb drive. and each computer will assign a different drive allocation. but either will work so it makes little difference.

thanks for that.

HiDeHo

#255 Post by HiDeHo »

HiDeHo wrote:i worked it out myself using my menu.ist setup.

title Fd64 611 (sdb2/Fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash psubdir=Fatdog 
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd
This is the standard grub4dos format

using "psubdir=Fatdog" tells the grub4dos (and I believe also grub) boot loader to look in /Fatdog for all files then there is no need to use the "savefile=..." option you have ^ especially as i boot from usb drive. and each computer will assign a different drive allocation. but either will work so it makes little difference.

thanks for that.
ok i spoke to soon. with my grub4dos entry above ^ everything works ok. I can boot puppy, create the save file, but on a reboot fatdog ignores the save file.

Has fatdog now been tweaked, from the traditional puppy, needing special boot parameter(s) would be nice to know. I cant see anything about this in the fatdog info.
other than this things seem to work ok, but without a save file i cant test and setup things to really get a feel for this.

**Edit**
here is my setup I always use. as i boot several pupplets from one usb hdd.

i create a folder for each puppy os and put all the files needed for it there.
  1. i have 2 partitions on this hdd a small one fat32 for the grub4dos bootloader and the 2nd, where i put all puppy os, is ext3.
  2. I have a folder /Fatdog/ on the hdd (2nd partition) with the 2 fatdog files and the save file in it.
my assumption is that fatdog may only work properly if all files are in the / of the drive. which is not ideal at all. like other puplets it should be able to run from a folder one layer deep such as /Fatdog/ . Is there a workaround, a pet or boot entry that will correct this. generally "psubdir=Fatdog" in the menu.list file should tell the puppy os to look in /Fatdog/ for all the files needed. works for other puppy os on the drive

thanks for all the hard work gone into fatdog64 so far I hope these issues can be resolved and thus improve 64bit puppy.
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

Barbol

#256 Post by Barbol »

@HiDeHo, the savefile arguments are changed in fatdog, psubdir does not work anymore. You can see the new boot options in the FAQ.

There is also a savefile argument builder in the control panel:
Menu>ControlPanel>Utlities>Savefile Argument Builder

smokey01

#257 Post by smokey01 »

HiDeHo have another look at my menu.lst above.

Fatdog allows you to load a savefile from anywhere.

Try the help in Fatdog. It has a lot of good information which includes boot options.

HiDeHo

#258 Post by HiDeHo »

Barbol wrote:@HiDeHo, the savefile arguments are changed in fatdog, psubdir does not work anymore. You can see the new boot options in the FAQ.

There is also a savefile argument builder in the control panel:
Menu>ControlPanel>Utlities>Savefile Argument Builder
thanks that is the FAQ on the default browser homepage found thanks. i am getting there its just trial and error.

at least that has cleared things up for me.

Anniekin

#259 Post by Anniekin »

ey guys,

can i install Java RE directly from firefox for example:
additional plugins are required to display this page -> install missing plugins -> Java Run Enviornment
or should i install the full sfs version from the repository?

@smokey: 'open with geany' works for me while 'open as text' doesn't... let me check more permission settings[/quote]

Barbol

#260 Post by Barbol »

jamesbond wrote:are you using UTF8 locale?
Nope, my bad.. it was setted to en_US. I guess that the first time I ran fatdog I looked for a spanish locale, but it wasn't available so I left the default one. I assumed by the "not valid UTF-8 names" advices that the system was already using UTF8 locale. :? But yesterday I found that non-english locales are available when the devx.sfs is loaded, so now I got es_AR.UTF-8 selected. Problem solved with Xdialog boxes. :D
Also, what is the filesystem you're having problem with? I always assume it is FAT (because ext2/3/4 works, I think NTFS works too), but is it?
Yes, it is a FAT filesystem indeed. I created some testing files from ubuntu and racy, both of them using es_AR.UTF-8 locale. All the files were displayed correctly in an ext3 partition, but appeared as no valid UTF8 files in the FAT one.
I don't have a NTFS filesystem right now (it dissapeared from my machine along with windoze the day I accidentaly boot the 2D2 recovery Vista, which deleted all my linux and data partitions. :evil: Fortunately Testdisk allowed me to recover everything)
I'll make one for testing..

Thanks again! Barbol