ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#381 Post by simargl »

When you do

Code: Select all

pacman -S xfce4

you are actually installing whole group and its expected to overwrite some already installed
packages, same would happen in any Arch Linux based system. Also that command would
install gtk3 that is used by one dependency but is absolutely not necessary for xfce to run.
For creating small xfce sfs module see this http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 308#673308.

I think ydrv sfs is not needed and will not add it, this splitting already increased iso size for
700 KB. Off course it is still possible and very easy to combine archapps with adrv, and
make single adrv sfs, if you want to. On first page for archapps with big letter is written
Recomended and what packages are inside, users who like more complete solution in
terms of pre-installed apps will download it. Also I don't expect this OS to draw a lot of
attention from tradition Arch Linux users, as they are unfamiliar with this concept of frugal
installs, making save file etc. And indeed it is unusual when you first meet it.

Note: After today's update my work on 12.12 is finished, it is now stable, fast OS that boots
straight to nice looking (imho) desktop, and use 37MB of RAM on first boot. It's there for you...

stifiling

#382 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:you are actually installing whole group and its expected to overwrite some already installed packages
those packages do not have to be overwritten though. they are already installed. there's something the matter with those 4 folders in /var/lib/pacman/local folder. they aren't telling pacman that they are already installed the way that they are supposed to:

libcups-1.6.1-6
libusbx-1.0.14-1
procps-ng-3.3.501
util-linux-2.22.1-3

that are inside the folder /var/lib/pacman/local.

when i do a pacman -S xfce4...those 4 dependencies shouldn't show up at all. because they are installed already....there's a glitch in the files in the /var/lib/pacman/local folder.

a way to resolve it is to install those 4 packages on another 12.12 installation, and copy those four folders from /var/lib/pacman/local, after they reinstall, and replace only those 4 folders in the main.sfs. that will fix the glitch in those files, and pacman will see that they are already installed. those 4 folders = 17.4KB, reinstalling those 4 packages = more than that.

darkcity

#383 Post by darkcity »

bark_bark_bark wrote:darkcity, I am having major difficulty downloading anything from the first 3 links. I need major help.
my apologies, those links are just for reference. i've amended the post.

I've found the firmware files that might work, from this link
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71777, but I've attached them here also (compressed).

BTW the brcm files might be present on lina-lite 005, in which case you could trying copying those files.

----

instructions

1) decompres brcm80211-firmware-0.0.1.tar.gz, copy the brcm directory to /lib/firmware on your archpup installation

2) use modprobe brcmsmac then ifconfig to test

bark_bark_bark

#384 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Thank you, I'm going to try it right now.

EDIT: That didn't work at all. It said that the module doesn't exist.

ickefes

#385 Post by ickefes »

I am still trying to get the swedish keymap to work at startup but sv-latin1 does not seem to work. Maybe "se" will work better? Then theres the problem with the clock too but I guess it is really my fault and that I am to much of a noob to be able to handle Arch/Openbox.

By the way, how come the precompiled DeadBeef (by the way, thanks for including this app) does not support ogg but it does support mp3? Doesn't linux usually support ogg a lot more than mp3? Regards.

bark_bark_bark

#386 Post by bark_bark_bark »

ogg? isn't that a low-quality audio format? MP3 is a common format and is a lot better than ogg. Almost no music stores use ogg, they use MP3.

EDIT: Still that module doesn't work at all.

Scooby

#387 Post by Scooby »

ickefes wrote:I am still trying to get the swedish keymap to work at startup but sv-latin1 does not seem to work. Maybe "se" will work better? Then theres the problem with the clock too but I guess it is really my fault and that I am to much of a noob to be able to handle Arch/Openbox.
Swedish Keyboard: Edit file /root/.start

Change line from

setxkbmap us &
to

setxkbmap se &

Observe will work in Firefox, Geany but not in terminal, You want Swedish characters in terminal you have to get another version from repo. For example below

pacman -Sfd xterm
and then start with

xterm &
in default terminal

*EDIT*
There is a way to make default terminal sakura type swedish letters by setting locale

checkout simargls teaching oui's archpup french
www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82494&start=135&sid=91a3a6e844a13628f3c3ad618c7a6698

the same can be done foe sv_SE.UTF-8

Clock: Edit file /root/.xinitrc

add line first in file

hwclock --localtime --hctosys &

These solutions from earlier in the thread and are not mine

Scooby

#388 Post by Scooby »

Simargl

I have blown any number of savefile trying to configure touchpad.

I wanted to disable automatic login and searched forum- The soution you explain in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82494&start=180&sid=2122f1ece3ead154e048d00e71d816e4

is it outdated? There doesnt seem to be those five lines you are referring to in the post.

mavrothal

#389 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote:There doesnt seem to be those five lines you are referring to in the post.
They just look a bit different :)

if [ -z "$WINDOW_MANAGER" ]; then
  echo "Sorry, cannot start X. Environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER is not set."
else
  exec archpupx
fi
"else
exec archpupx"
is what you really want to comment out.
Or just move/rename the ".sh" part of /etc/profile.d/openbox.sh.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

xstylezx

#390 Post by xstylezx »

Great puplet, I love it! I have borked a number of savefiles trying to work out a few things though. Wireless, I'm also one of those having trouble getting wireless to work. I tracked it down by myself and figured out what drivers are needed by using Lxpup, which detected my wireless out of the box.

The issue really lies in keeping the drivers installed. When I add the folder for my wireless dongle(I have to use an older wireless dongle to connect one of my desktops to my wireless network) to /lib/firmware it doesn't save it there after reboot. Well it saves the folder "zd1211" that I place in /lib/firmware but the actually files inside "zd1211" never save to my usb stick like theyre supposed to. So with every reboot I have to copy over the drivers into the "zd1211" folder to get my wireless connected.

Why is this? I'm assuming it has something to do with the udev errors I get on every shutdown when its doing its usual save to save file. I'm itching to get these few little quirks worked out as I love Arch and Puppy and both together is awesome!

In case I didn't make it clear enough, I'm using a usb with a savefile.4fs. The savefile is saved on my usb, making my install totally portable. As a note saving some items does seem to save and some areas it just does not, such as the issue with my drivers. It has to be this udev thing, as the errors i get at reboot or shutdown are happening when its saving to my 4fs file. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot! :D

stifiling

#391 Post by stifiling »

Sim, did u get a chance to look into the issue with those 4 problematic folders inside of /var/lib/pacman/local? the 4 folders that aren't telling pacman that they are already installed??

simargl

#392 Post by simargl »

Build script that make two main sfs, has also defined 'false packages list'
  • sh-4.2.039-1 libjpeg-8.0.2-1 libsystemd-196-2 systemd-tools-196-2
That is needed because many packages depend on for example libjpeg, but that
package does not exist, instead it is provided by package libjpeg-turbo. Same is with
sh that is provided with bash... and you have now discovered more of that packages:
libusb is provided by libusbx; procps with procps-ng, and util-linux-ng with util-linux.
For libcups problem is different - in original Arch they split cups in two packages, but
when I replaced original cups and libcups with my package forgot to add libcups to
pacman's base. I will add those new packages to false pkgs list for future releases,
probably more of them exist, but no way to easy find them.

stifiling

#393 Post by stifiling »

no problem sim, because systemd 'used to' also do it, but with the newer release, it all of a sudden stopped. I'm knowing that there may be others....so as i encounter them, i'll report them...so it can be remedied.

Scooby

#394 Post by Scooby »

simargl wrote:Build script that make two main sfs
Simargl, where can you download buildscripts anyway?

Thanks Mavrothal for the help you've given.

stifiling

#395 Post by stifiling »

when installing a package using yaourt it wants to install linux-headers, even if linux-3.6.8-12.12.sfs is already loaded. the linux-3.6.8-12.12.sfs file should have the folder /var/lib/pacman/local/linux-headers-3.6.8-1 inside of it, so that doesn't happen.

and if the /etc/ssl/certs are inside of the archdev.sfs....it would be nice to have yaourt in the archdev.sfs as well.

also the archdev.sfs has /usr/include/geany inside of it. so if i have the archdev.sfs loaded, and try to install geany, it won't install, saying that those files already exists. is it necessary to have /usr/include/geany inside the archdev.sfs?

these things are minor, but the goal is 'perfect' right? just running into some things that doesn't have to be a minor issue. they can be a 'zero' issue...because they can be fixed.
bark_bark_bark wrote:That didn't work at all. It said that the module doesn't exist.
Let's see if this will work. Download the attached file.

gzip -d /path/to/wl.ko.gz
mkdir /lib/modules/3.6.8/misc
copy the wl.ko file into the misc directory

depmod -a
modprobe lib80211
modprobe wl
does it load?

simargl

#396 Post by simargl »

stifiling wrote:when installing a package using yaourt it wants to install linux-headers, even if linux-3.6.8-12.12.sfs is already loaded. the linux-3.6.8-12.12.sfs file should have the folder /var/lib/pacman/local/linux-headers-3.6.8-1 inside of it, so that doesn't happen.

and if the /etc/ssl/certs are inside of the archdev.sfs....it would be nice to have yaourt in the archdev.sfs as well.

also the archdev.sfs has /usr/include/geany inside of it. so if i have the archdev.sfs loaded, and try to install geany, it won't install, saying that those files already exists. is it necessary to have /usr/include/geany inside the archdev.sfs?
OK, linux-headers folder will be added for next kernel source sfs.

I added yaourt in only one version earlier because pacmanxg required it, now archdev.sfs has
packer and pistall.sh script inside runs update-ca-certificates, so it works without user intervention.
One package to browser AUR is enough and it will be packer, yaourt is slower and asks
too many questions...

Development files from adrv are also in archdev.sfs, now when I think about it, it's obviously
wrong so i might just move geany to archapps - I have it loaded all the time anyway.

mavrothal

#397 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote:I added yaourt in only one version earlier because pacmanxg required it,
Any chance that pacmanxg will find its way back in archapps?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

#398 Post by mavrothal »

Scooby wrote:where can you download buildscripts anyway?
simargl's repos are here: https://bitbucket.org/simargl/
From what I can see (but not tried/tested),
The spkg repo contains the spkg and paka scripts that actually are the building engines for the Archpup packages.
You just clone the repo and run the install script to install them.
The sources repo has just that. Archpup-specific tarballs that are downloaded and installed by spkg
The def-scripts repo contains packman like instructions that tell spkg where to find how to handle the different packages that will be installed.
The archpup repo is where everything happens.
The "arch-tools" folder is like a rootfs-skeleton and contains some puppy-/archpup-specific scripts
The "list" folder caontains the arch-* and spkg-* lists of packages that determine which package to put in which sfs (base, dev, apps and adrv)
Finally the scripts folder contains the 2 scripts that actually build Archpup. mkroot I guess goes first to setup the environment and base follows to do the building.

I hope this helps.
Hopefully simargl or someone that actually tries it, will fill the (inevitably) missing important details and (probably) steps.
(one step that I do not see for example is where the initrd and the ISO are build. unless they are done "manually")

stifiling

#399 Post by stifiling »

stifiling wrote:does it load?
can someone who's tested the wl.ko module leave feedback...

does it load when doing 'modprobe wl'?
are you able to get online using your broadcom wireless hardware with it?

peebee

#400 Post by peebee »

stifiling wrote:
stifiling wrote:does it load?
can someone who's tested the wl.ko module leave feedback...

does it load when doing 'modprobe wl'?
are you able to get online using your broadcom wireless hardware with it?
Hi Stifiling

Same result here as with the wl.ko that I compiled.....

The modules load apparently successfully with no errors but wlan0 is not created.....

dmesg:
[ 112.272992] lib80211: common routines for IEEE802.11 drivers
[ 112.273440] lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
[ 133.339050] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
[ 133.791453] wl: module license 'Mixed/Proprietary' taints kernel.
[ 133.791460] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
the last 2 lines are normal for the wl driver.

Puzzling isn't it!!

There may be a conflict with the ssb driver - they do have to be loaded in a specific sequence....
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64