Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 22:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 23 [339 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 22:24    Post subject:  

Barbol wrote:
I may have found a minor bug in the fatdog's menu. I have an install with grafical login and Openbox WM, where the main menu option "Quit X server" doesn't do anything. It works correctly with console login..
When you run graphical login it is *not* possible to Quit the X server. Quitting the X server has the same effect as "restarting" X server. If you want access to your console, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 - but the X server is still there, you can switch back to it by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F4 anytime. I have updated the terms to be clearer for future releases.

Regarding unprintable characters in filenames, I remember that you can also try editing /etc/codepage and replace that with 850 or 860.
This will change the codepage used to mount FAT filesystems, without changing the console keymap. If your problem happens with other filesystems - then the codepaget thingy won't fix it.

gcmartin wrote:
Maybe there is another way.
Such as?

bruno wrote:
Is the mount-helper-fix pet also needed for 601?
Yes, if you have that problem. If you don't have any other Linuxes installed, then it is not necessary (=the problem won't affect you).

spandey wrote:
Has anyone tried browsing Linuxmint files from Lucid 5.2.8 ? I get the same problem.
No idea. Lucid uses a totally different script to perform the mount/un-mounting. You should ask playdayz Smile
Anniekin

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan 2013, 15:12    Post subject:  

fatdog 610 rox-filer 'open as text' doesn't work
Gobbi

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 07:16    Post subject:  

Yes, there are files that Rox-filer can't open in that way...
You could get a hint on what's in those files if you look in Properties...
Barbol

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 11:45    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
When you run graphical login it is *not* possible to Quit the X server. Quitting the X server has the same effect as "restarting" X server.
Oh, I thought it will quit X as same as in autologin or console mode. But it doesn't restart de X neither, from /usr/share/lxpanel/profile/default/panels/panel:
Code:
name=Quit X server
action=killall xinit
image=mini-x
and from command line:
Code:
# killall xinit
killall: xinit: no process killed

Quote:
Regarding unprintable characters in filenames, I remember that you can also try editing /etc/codepage and replace that with 850 or 860.
Thanks for remeber this!! I tried editing /etc/codepage but changes dissapeared after rebooting, and it doesn't seem to make any differrence. I can see the characters, but the filename appears in red with the legend "This filename is no valid UTF-8. You should rename it". By the way, I was playing a little with Xdialog boxes for a script the last days, and having problem with spanish characters too. If I edit script the from within the virtual terminal (with vi or mp) I get boxes where the special character goes in the Xdialog window. But if I edit it with geany I have no problem, the chars appeared as spected. And if I create a file with spanish chars in the terminal, then it shows in red in Rox's with the same "no valid" legend. It seems like X and terminal emulator uses different charmap, is it posible?
gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 21:42    Post subject:  

Anniekin wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
The root & non-root decision process may not necessarily be a good one.

its the easiest way for a puppy distro author to set up restrictions on internet activity. if there's an older method i do not know of it. the multi user .pet? its easy to manage users with terminal commands like adduser or useradd
Sorry to @Anniekin and anyone else who saw the post that my quote was taken from. I should have been more clear.

That post is addressing issues seen when FATDOG boots on a PC that has other Operating Systems already installed, where rights on drive folders are changed in such a way as to incur problems when trying to boot those existing OS after FATDOG is shutdown.
This is what couple of us are drawing attention to.

Sorry for any confusion. The word "root" in Linux can refer several different things, in context. Sorry.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2013, 23:06    Post subject:  

Barbol, that "killall xinit" is gone in the next release when you use the graphical login. Graphical login doesn't start the graphical desktop using "xinit", so there is nothing to kill. Instead of "killall xinit", it should be "wmexit logout".

Also, what is the filesystem you're having problem with? I always assume it is FAT (because ext2/3/4 works, I think NTFS works too), but is it? For the other problem, are you using UTF8 locale? I.e. in terminal, type "echo $LANG" and does the output ends with utf8? E.g. mine is en_AU.UTF-8.

I will look into that codepage stuff, it should not be overwritten at every reboot.

cheers!

Gnuxo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 01:29    Post subject:  

Can I install playonlinux on Fatdog64?
Anniekin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 03:38    Post subject:  

@Gobbi:
im talkin about .txt files that geany can open but cant be opened via rox-filers 'open as text' context menu

@gcmartin sorry for misunderstanding someone else was talking about permission issues too
HiDeHo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 05:34    Post subject:  

fatdog64-611-firefox.iso has an error.

there is no fatdog.sfs file in the iso after several downloads. The md5sum is correct.

as far as i understand all puppy iso files should have intrid.gz, vmlinux, and puppy.sfs to be able to boot.

any ideas.

smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 05:39    Post subject:  

The fatdog.sfs file is inside the initrd file, note there is no gz on the end of initrd.

HiDeHo wrote:
fatdog64-611-firefox.iso has an error.

there is no fatdog.sfs file in the iso after several downloads. The md5sum is correct.

as far as i understand all puppy iso files should have intrid.gz, vmlinux, and puppy.sfs to be able to boot.

any ideas.

smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 05:43    Post subject:  

Anniekin wrote:
@Gobbi:
im talkin about .txt files that geany can open but cant be opened via rox-filers 'open as text' context menu

@gcmartin sorry for misunderstanding someone else was talking about permission issues too

Text files open fine here, both in the seamonkey and firefox version of 610.

To be sure we are talking about the same thing:
In Rox, right mouse click on a text file then choose 'open as text'

It also opens if you left click on the file or 'open with geany'

Cheers

HiDeHo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 07:37    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
The fatdog.sfs file is inside the initrd file, note there is no gz on the end of initrd.

ok thanks its just weird and not like most other puppy os.

how am i supposed to get the 3 files to put on my usb to boot fatdog.
smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 08:03    Post subject:  

HiDeHo wrote:
smokey01 wrote:

You don't. You only need the two.

Something like this in the menu.lst:

title FatDog 6.11
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /fd64-611/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64-611/fd64save.ext4
initrd /fd64-611/initrd

Last edited by smokey01 on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 01:01; edited 1 time in total
HiDeHo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 08:45    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:
smokey01 wrote:

You don't. You only need the two.

Something like this in the menu.lst:

title FatDog 6.11
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /fd64-611/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda3:/fd64-611/fd64save.ext4
initrd /fd64-611/initrd

i worked it out myself using my menu.ist setup.
Code:
title Fd64 611 (sdb2/Fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash psubdir=Fatdog
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd

This is the standard grub4dos format

using "psubdir=Fatdog" tells the grub4dos (and I believe also grub) boot loader to look in /Fatdog for all files then there is no need to use the "savefile=..." option you have ^ especially as i boot from usb drive. and each computer will assign a different drive allocation. but either will work so it makes little difference.

thanks for that.
HiDeHo

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan 2013, 18:26    Post subject:  

HiDeHo wrote:
i worked it out myself using my menu.ist setup.
Code:
title Fd64 611 (sdb2/Fatdog)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Fatdog/initrd
  kernel /Fatdog/vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash psubdir=Fatdog
  initrd /Fatdog/initrd

This is the standard grub4dos format

using "psubdir=Fatdog" tells the grub4dos (and I believe also grub) boot loader to look in /Fatdog for all files then there is no need to use the "savefile=..." option you have ^ especially as i boot from usb drive. and each computer will assign a different drive allocation. but either will work so it makes little difference.

thanks for that.

ok i spoke to soon. with my grub4dos entry above ^ everything works ok. I can boot puppy, create the save file, but on a reboot fatdog ignores the save file.

Has fatdog now been tweaked, from the traditional puppy, needing special boot parameter(s) would be nice to know. I cant see anything about this in the fatdog info.
other than this things seem to work ok, but without a save file i cant test and setup things to really get a feel for this.

**Edit**
here is my setup I always use. as i boot several pupplets from one usb hdd.

i create a folder for each puppy os and put all the files needed for it there.
  1. i have 2 partitions on this hdd a small one fat32 for the grub4dos bootloader and the 2nd, where i put all puppy os, is ext3.
  2. I have a folder /Fatdog/ on the hdd (2nd partition) with the 2 fatdog files and the save file in it.
my assumption is that fatdog may only work properly if all files are in the / of the drive. which is not ideal at all. like other puplets it should be able to run from a folder one layer deep such as /Fatdog/ . Is there a workaround, a pet or boot entry that will correct this. generally "psubdir=Fatdog" in the menu.list file should tell the puppy os to look in /Fatdog/ for all the files needed. works for other puppy os on the drive

thanks for all the hard work gone into fatdog64 so far I hope these issues can be resolved and thus improve 64bit puppy.

Page 17 of 23 [339 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: