Upup Precise 54X7 using latest woof at time

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#141 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.4.X.7......... all looking good. :)
Attachments
Precise-5.4.X.7.png
(129.72 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

peebee

#142 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

Just a quick report of something I don't think I've seen before - after my 1st pristine, frugal boot of 54x7 (i.e. before savefile creation) both the b43 and wl drivers were loaded. pdiag is attached.

After a reboot and savefile creation, only the wl driver was loaded, which is the expected behaviour.

Just thought I'd mention....
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
pdiag-20130112.tar.gz
(123.89 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#143 Post by pemasu »

Thanks peebee. Rerwin understands better if there is flaw in his logic or is it something I have screwed.

I am posting from Upup Precise with kernel 3.7.2. Yeah aufs3.7 support was released week ago. I just couldnt help myself.

This kernel will be no pae, basic kernel, with as much hardware and external devices support as possible. Also some people might benefit from the bleeding edge drivers. It can be that firmware pool will need updates to keep up with latest drivers.

I suppose I have second version ready this evening. I had to fix the kernel building script to get aufs included. Then I tested that kernel works, done. Now I will recompile it with some tuning.

I will include brand new SMB2 support to the kernel.

zigbert

#144 Post by zigbert »

pemasu wrote:Upup Precise should be ready for upcoming Pmusic 3.1.0.
Great. I am downloading, and will continue developing on Upup. This should hopefully make it easier for both of us.

Thank you!!!!
Sigmund

LateAdopter

#145 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Pemasu

Since you seem to be the most prolific compiler of kernels, could you configure cpuid and msr kernel modules in your DOTconfig, when convenient please?

None or the recent 32 bit Puppies have them. I need them to turn the p-state voltages on my Athlon II X2 down to a sensible voltage. Mine works perfectly at 1.1V which halves the power consumption compared with the AMD setting of 1.4V

Thanks.

don570

version 0.8.4

#146 Post by don570 »

pemasu wrote:Gtkdialog is now version 0.8.4
Where did you get version 0.8.4???

This is official gtkdialog site

http://code.google.com/p/gtkdialog/downloads/list

pemasu

#147 Post by pemasu »

LateAdopter. I added those to my upcoming 3.7.2 kernel as modules.

I hope you know what you are doing when you use low-level hardware adjusting stuff.

I can try later to compile them as extra modules to the official pae kernel, but I dont know if it is possible. Separate device drivers are easy. Those modules are something else, I believe.

pemasu

#148 Post by pemasu »

don570. From svn.

# gtkdialog --version
gtkdialog version 0.8.4 r503M (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011-2012 Thunor
Built with additional support for: Glade.

I used 01mickos magnificent building script.
Attachments
update-gtkdialog.gz
(503 Bytes) Downloaded 443 times

LateAdopter

#149 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Pemasu

Thanks for the response. I'll try your new kernel if you put it in a puppy.

I'm not a software developer, but I spent a day trying to find out how to compile them out-of-tree. Although I compiled them, modprobe would not load them. I think compiling an in-tree module out-of-tree is a non-trivial problem.

I think the easiest way is to recompile the kernel with a modified DOTconfig, but I don't know what other consequences might be.

I would not ask you to spend your time doing it just for me.

But I thought adding them to DOTconfig looked trivial.

Tom'shardware did all the work on overclocking and undervolting Athlon IIs about 3 years ago. They found they could overclock to 3.6GHz and still turn the voltage DOWN to 1.3V. I don't overclock and AMD's setting is much too high.

zigbert

#150 Post by zigbert »

Harder than I thought :D
Everything worked as expected until X messed it all up (the visual mess is hard to explain, but a northern Finish showstorm in freeze-mode should tell some...). I am running a AMD A8-3870 APU (graphics builtin). The graphics chip is a Radeon HD 6550D.
Video report in Slacko tells this:

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.2.10

Chip description:
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: SUMO 01.00

Driver used by Xorg:
fglrx

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1920x1080"  Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
Yes, I checked MD5 sum which has lead to a bugfixed pBurn :)
Also tried booting with pfix=nox, but X still tries to run.....

Sigmund

pemasu

#151 Post by pemasu »

Zigbert. Sorry to hear your struggle with graphics. You seem to have AMD proprietary driver in use in Slacko.

There are 2 ready AMD drivers to test in Precise. Versions 12.6 and 12.8. I dont know which one is for you. Use for example quickset from the Pinboard or PPM. I think they are in Precise Puppy repo also.

If you can get the X work enough to do that. Like fresh install pfix=ram.

Precise Puppy has radeon modeset enabled at kernel level. I have understood it makes big difference how radeon kernel module works.

So...proprietary fglrx might be your choice in Precise too.....

I dont know how boot time kernel parameter radeon.modeset=0 works....when the kms has been set on as default in kernel. But you can experiment with that also.

don570

#152 Post by don570 »

I've re-written Barry kauler's report-video to make it a GUI and
localised it. It might be useful to you now??? You might prefer
Tazoc's version but it isn't localised.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83696

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

don570. It is already in the woof. I tested it and it worked fine. It complements the crippled Sys-Info back as it should be.

Thanks.

dancytron

Not sure if it is an upgrade bug or a feature, but ...

#154 Post by dancytron »

Not urgent at all, just reporting it.

I had a hard drive frugal install of of 54x6. I have it set in grub so that it is in pupmode 13 (as if it was a USB drive) and I have pupsaveconfig (the latest version that ends in 5) set to not save automatically, but to ask when you exit (0+ in the menu). All was working fine.

I upgraded it by copying the contents of the 54x7 ISO into the correct directory

The possible bug is that it wiped out all the changes I made to my desktop, including links I had added to folders and .desktop files in the /usr/shared/applications directory and the wallpaper I had set. It also readded some of the out of the box links I had deleted. Pupsaveconfig no longer works but uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have fixed it.

Anyway, not really a big deal and I am not really sure if it is supposed to act that way or if it is a bug.

Terry H

#155 Post by Terry H »

pemasu,

fantastic work!!!

Prior to Christmas I purchased a new desktop AMD FX6100 with Radeon 7450 ! GB graphics card. I could not get any distro to work on the correct resolution of my monitor 1920 x 1080. All the puppy's I have tried so far, would not allow me to go above 1280 x 1024. I have downloaded and tried 3 versions of the AMD driver with no luck.

I just did a frugal install of this upup precise 5.4.X.7 and it picked up the 1920 x 1080 by default.

Everything is working great. Thanks for all your work on your derivatives.

backi

Problems with Packetmanager SOLVED

#156 Post by backi »

Hi !

Maybe it is just my problem ....

Problems with using PPm seems appear again . (but maybe its only me )

What happened ?

Installed UPUP 5.4.7 on USB stick... made a new savefile .

After using Packetmanager for downloading some stuff ..all letters became little squares ...this bug appeared a while ago .But now it seeems to be back.

Anybody else same experience ?

SOLVED !!!!

Installed ServicePack

Thought it was implemented to ISO ....but was not
Last edited by backi on Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#157 Post by don570 »

I've rewritten report-video (version 1.2) so that it is compatible with
Tazoc's sys-info.

It will now pop up a Xdialog window only if launched from start menu.

When it is used at terminal it acts like a CLI application.
It's also French now :lol:

peebee

New frisbee version announced for testing

#158 Post by peebee »

Rerwin has announced a new version of "integrated frisbee" for testing at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=108

For some reason? the pop-ups display at different parts of the screen in Upup Precise as compared to Precise 5.4.3 or Slacko 5.4? Anybody know why this might be?

Some of the components are already in Upup Precise 54x7 from an earlier less developed release - but to be safe all of the new components should be loaded.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

gcmartin

#159 Post by gcmartin »

@Pemasu.
Congratulations and godspeed on your upcoming venture. Sounds like its going to be exciting for you..

2 Questions
  1. is UpupPrecise54X7 same as UpupPrecise372 but with a different kernel? (answered below in this post)
  2. Do both distros have the latest in NTFS support solving the partition compression issues we had?
Thanks in advance

Edited: found the following for question 1, above
In Upup Precise 3.7.2, you wrote: ... Otherwise this build is about same as Upup Precise 5.4.X.7, so ...
AND
In Upup Precise 54X7, you wrote: ... The kernel is official PAE kernel. ...

zigbert

#160 Post by zigbert »

pemasu wrote:I dont know how boot time kernel parameter radeon.modeset=0 works....when the kms has been set on as default in kernel. But you can experiment with that also.
Sorry for delayed feedback!

I tested your Precise on my laptop, and it works just fine. But my main system seems to require the amd radeon driver to work properly. Slacko brings me Vesa by default.

Yes, I did also test radeon.modeset=0 as boot parameter, but no difference for me.

Thank you for your effort!!!
Sigmund