Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 10:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
'lina-lite - version 005
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 15 [225 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2012, 02:44    Post subject: package chooser  

With elroy's help, I've edited the package chooser script to ask if you want to update the package list or not before opening the package manager. Save time and bandwidth.

See the original post here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=673665#673665

dennis-slacko531

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec 2012, 04:43    Post subject:  

Briefly, I can't get any music playing. Dnld all the gstreamer pets I could find. I recall in another Linux, I dnld gstreamer-utilities and that fixed things. Well, all I can offer you guys is to maybe save all your 'lina pets in a folder so not to repeatedly dnld them (when reinstalling, as I've done often).

To summarize, In Multimedia I have Clementine, Parole, Musique, Goggles, and Mp3splt-gtk...and the default audio-mixer. I guess the good news is I finally got my older brother to look into Puppy (only took a year).

An exact message from Parole when I drop an mp3 file:
Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec 2012, 10:25    Post subject:
Subject description: playing music

dennis-slacko531 wrote:
Briefly, I can't get any music playing. Dnld all the gstreamer pets I could find. I recall in another Linux, I dnld gstreamer-utilities and that fixed things. Well, all I can offer you guys is to maybe save all your 'lina pets in a folder so not to repeatedly dnld them (when reinstalling, as I've done often).

To summarize, In Multimedia I have Clementine, Parole, Musique, Goggles, and Mp3splt-gtk...and the default audio-mixer. I guess the good news is I finally got my older brother to look into Puppy (only took a year).

An exact message from Parole when I drop an mp3 file:
Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

I don't have the Clementine, etc etc.
But do have Pmusic.
Had downloaded (& stored in /sda2/sources/ ) streamripper-1.64.6 and other stuff like ffmpeg etc

( just found Elroy's post of Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:06 Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Sub_title: Help with pmusic)
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec 2012, 10:55    Post subject: simple and small music  

Marv wrote:

Edited 12/28/2012: Carrying on with the sfs rolling while building out the Dell D610 for a new home. Amazingly, using pmusic ( I used v3.07), ogle, ffmpeg, streamripper and lame ( I don't always carry it in the base) it gives quite a solid cd/dvd/streaming audio with playlists package. ... for 2.7Mb.

Just for reference I did run the full Carolina on this machine, it is my sole Dothan pentium M, and I'd say it's a bit much for this class machine. Some fairly random lockups and behavior I just don't see with 'lina on them. Not software related IMHO, just pushing the old dears to hard. 'lina, even with a 30Mbish officestuff + opera + pidgin sfs and the small music sfs on board just flies right along. One size doesn't fit all, but two seem to.

Cheers,

The pmusic solution probably doesn't fit everyone, but really works quite well for streaming audio and cds, is small, handles playlists, and doesn't suffer from dependency hell. It's also being very actively maintained and improved. I'm using it on my 'linas for older dears' builds now.

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 11:36    Post subject:  

Wow, I like this 'lina-lite. I mean wow it's very cool. I might use this as a base for a complete system recovery puppy. (would like to see mac filesystem support though.)

Although the interface is like 100% bland, it's very very nice puppy to have. and it's great to have in my collection.

This puppy is very amazing and hope you can still continue work on it.

(the interface being bland doesn't matter to me, this is still amazing.)

EDIT: I am going to use this for testing of my packages here and there.

EDIT2: As I noted in my thread of my Puppy .pet repo, when I install firefox on 'lina-lite I see that there are some libraries missing. Luckly it does not effect the operation of firefox at all if they aren't there.

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:02    Post subject:
Subject description: bland desktop

deleted see next one.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 17:45; edited 1 time in total
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:02    Post subject:
Subject description: bland desktop

(portions snipped)
bark_bark_bark wrote:
Wow, I like this 'lina-lite.
Although the interface is like 100% bland

I too like 'lina-lite.
You want to see bland?
I will boot 'lina-lite and try to paste a screen-shot.
my-lina-lite.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.3 KB
 Viewed   996 Time(s)

my-lina-lite.png

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 14:34    Post subject:  

Shocked

I tested my updated firefox pkg and it works (with same libs missing). I still have no internet connection though. My netbook's wifi isn't recognized. I can use the ethernet on my netbook, but I have to get a really long cord for that.

I don't know what module it's lacking. I know it's Broadcom though, but none of those modules recognized it.

elroy

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 00:31    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Shocked

I tested my updated firefox pkg and it works (with same libs missing). I still have no internet connection though. My netbook's wifi isn't recognized. I can use the ethernet on my netbook, but I have to get a really long cord for that.

I don't know what module it's lacking. I know it's Broadcom though, but none of those modules recognized it.

There's a pet in the repo for Broadcom - try this and see if it helps - http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/broadcom_sta_v5.100.82.112_patched_x86_32-k3.2.8_carolina.pet
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 03:35    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:
Shocked

There's a pet in the repo for Broadcom - try this and see if it helps - http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/broadcom_sta_v5.100.82.112_patched_x86_32-k3.2.8_carolina.pet

That pet won't work on the 3.2.13-c kernel....

See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495&start=8 for a more recent solution.

Montchalin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb 2013, 14:29    Post subject:  

I have a frugal install of Lina-lite 0.0.5 non-PAE.

When I reboot, it seems fast until "Requesting IP for Eth0" at which point there is lots of hard drive activity and the mouse 'freezes' or becomes jittery.

Once the hard drive calms down, the mouse becomes normal. And there is the 'non' symbol over the frisbee status icon. However, the intenet works just fine.

This is what I have loaded:
clarf_pnethood-0.6.8.1-carolina (recognizes computers on network, but does not present me with login dialogue box)

jpilot-1.8.1-i486

midori-0.4.6-i486 (I have the icon in the internet menu, but nothing happens when I click it)

QuiteRSS-0.12.0 (I have the icon in the internet menu, but nothing happens when I click it.)

glib-networking-2.30.1-i486

gnutls-2.8.5-i486

webkit-inspector-1,8.0

qt-4.8.0

firefox-16.0.1 (working and using!)

Any hints as to what I should try would be appreciated.
Montchalin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb 2013, 15:27    Post subject:  

OK, a fresh install:

Eth0 is down.

Execute frisbee and all is well.

Install Midori-> It works after adding qt-4.80 and geoclue-0.12-i486

Reboot takes forever... much, much longer than the initial boot.
During reboot
Mouse "freezes" and is jittery. Lots of hard drive activity.

When the "non" symbol finally covers the frisbee icon, the hard drive is at rest, the mouse works, and the internet works just fine.

Any ideas?
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 01:14    Post subject:  

I've added a different version of Midori to the repo, midori-0.4.3-i386. This is a non-static build that seems to be a bit more stable than the statically compiled midori-0.4.6 version also in the repo.

If you choose to install this pet it will try to install qt-webkit as a dependency. Click cancel when it asks if you'd like to install it, and instead choose webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet from the Package Manager window that pops up.
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:49    Post subject: non-static Midori  

elroy wrote:
I've added a different version of Midori to the repo, midori-0.4.3-i386. This is a non-static build that seems to be a bit more stable than the statically compiled midori-0.4.6 version also in the repo.

If you choose to install this pet it will try to install qt-webkit as a dependency. Click cancel when it asks if you'd like to install it, and instead choose webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet from the Package Manager window that pops up.

Thanks, Elroy. I've used Opera almost exclusively for many years, but will try the Midori on another computer, which has more room for files.
Montchalin

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2013, 18:06    Post subject:  

I solved the slow boot problem (8 minutes) by switching to etho1. It only takes about 2:30 from the isolinux splash to acquiring the internet.

I will revisit etho0 someday.

elroy wrote:

Thanks Elroy, for the non-static Midori build. I installed it and it worked great for as long as I tested it.

When I rebooted, it could no longer resolve web addresses.

etc/resolv.conf read:
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
#/etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

and

etc/ppp/resolv.conf had the same text:
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
#/etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

Sometimes I use Wary 5.93. But Carolina 002 non-pae is still my daily operating system.

I wonder if the writing is on the wall - that I should get a new machine that can deal with pae?
Page 13 of 15 [225 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: