Slacko-5.4 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
bigpup

#121 Post by bigpup »

LinuxUser review of the new versions of Puppy.
Slacko
Precise
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/pupp ... new-tricks
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

artsown

#122 Post by artsown »

Two problems with Slacko 5.4.

The first problem is a certain kind of black screen at startup. Barry fixed this
for Precise 5.4.3 but it exists on Slacko 5.4 and Racy 5.3.9. It occurs on
about 1 in 5 startups on all four of my PCs here all having Pentium 4 cpus
with clock rates between 1.7 and 2.0 ghz. Barry said it's a problem with
Rox Filer. The task bar at the bottom of the screen is ok but the rest of the
screen is black when the problem manifests. Doing a restart X server results
in the desktop appearing.

The other problem is due to a power management bug in some 3.X kernels
that makes wireless almost unuseable with certain hardware. A work-
around is to insert the line:

iwconfig wlan0 power off

in some file that runs at startup such as /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or rc.sysinit)

Art

kevin bowers

XMMS in Slacko 5.4

#123 Post by kevin bowers »

I've been using XMMS for audio playback for a decade now and didn't want to change, but on Slacko 5.4 the version in PPM won't run. Trying from console there was a lib not found, GTK I think? Anyway I uninstalled and instead installed the old faithful .pet from Smokey01's site, and it works fine. Fried Hockey Boogie, anyone?

Other multimedia notes: both MHWaveEdit and Avidemux seem fine, but don't try to read recordings made by Windows Media Center with Avidemux. Not only does the importer module crash, the whole application does.

Has anyone come up with a declicker module for MHWaveEdit?

Brown Mouse

#124 Post by Brown Mouse »

Two things Ive noticed so far using Firefox edition.

1)Unable to get the Firefox to update from the 'About tab'.

2)Audio cd's when loaded don't place an icon on desktop but will play once located in Gnome player,vlc etc.

Very nice work as always.Thank you!

tlchost

#125 Post by tlchost »

Brown Mouse wrote:Two things Ive noticed so far using Firefox edition.

2)Audio cd's when loaded don't place an icon on desktop but will play once located in Gnome player,vlc etc.
Slacko is one of the few recent puppies that sees my 16 gig of memory, all processors in an I7 and a 2 TB drive.....

I run Slacko as a bootable USB, and have also noticed the lack of a desktop icon for a music CD and Pmount can not mount the CD. As you stated, various media players can access the content.

It is my understanding that older puppies did show an icon for music cds. Is there any way to incorporate that feature in 5.4?

Slacko is great...thanks heaps for your efforts!

Thom

tlchost

Updating Opera

#126 Post by tlchost »

Running Slacko 5.4 opera on bootable USB

Opera version is 12.11 Opera says Opera 12.12 is available:

What is the proper way to upgrade opera ? The Package Manager does
not show 12.12

Thanks

Thom

OscarTalks

#127 Post by OscarTalks »

This is more a problem of ffmpeg than of Slacko, but the backwards compatibilty is a headache. Linphone compiles OK in Slacko 5.3.3 but fails in Slacko 5.4 apparently because the ffmpeg version is too new.

I can compile and install ffmpeg 0.8.12 and then Linphone will compile, but that means my final executable package (and dot pet) has to contain the rather large older version of libavcodec.so.* increasing it to over double the size.

Is there any way to re-establish the compatibilty with the existing ffmpeg in Slacko 5.4?

By the way, the DeaDBeef developer points out:-
the ffmpeg developers have been breaking their APIs many times before, and we were fixing the plugin again ang again, but this time (ffmpeg-0.11) they broke it in a way which makes it impossible to use together with deadbeef libmms plugin.
....so it is not just me that has encountered problems.
Oscar in England

01micko

#128 Post by 01micko »

tlchost,

Until I package a pet, the Opera deb works fine, except for one detail. The menu entry ends up in "Utility" :? . You can edit /usr/share/applications/opera-browser.desktop replacing Categories=Utility with Categories=X-Internet

-

OscarTalks

Yes, this is a problem with a few apps, Audacity included. A real pain. I really don't know the solution. Ffmpeg is past version 1.0 now so 0.8x is getting old. We'll leave the jury out on that one for a little while.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

Two jwmconfig2 bugs and suggested fixes reported elsewhere

#129 Post by npierce »

Here are a couple of jwmconfig2 bugs that were discovered in other Puppy versions, but look to be in Slacko 5.4 as well. Suggested fixes are included.

The first was found in Slacko 5.3.3, so I reported it in the Slacko 5.3.3 thread, but it looks like Slacko 5.4 uses the same version of the script with the bug, so I am adding a link to the bug report here.

Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback: panel-buttons script corrupts .jwmrc-tray

The second bug was found in the current jwmconfig2 pet used by Woof when building Precise (jwmconfig2-20111110.pet in the Packages-puppy-noarch-official repo), so I reported it in the Precise 5.4.3 thread. But since Slacko now seems to be maintaining its own jwmconfig2 .pet
(jwmconfig2-121105.pet in the Packages-puppy-slacko14-official repo), and the bug is in that .pet as well, I am adding a link to the bug report here in hopes that the bug can also be fixed in that .pet.

Precise Puppy 5.4.3: jwmconfig2 "Quick Info" text for keyboard masks is obsolete

debernardis

#130 Post by debernardis »

Hello, and thanks for all this Slacko :)

Bug report: I can't set proxy in Internet Connection Wizard / Setup a Proxy Server.
I think that /etc/profile.d/http_proxy and /etc/profile.d/ftp_proxy don't get executed at boot time.

Tweenman

No bark on boot, no audio.

#131 Post by Tweenman »

Hello,

I upgraded to Slacko 5.4(Firefox) and I've lost audio on a Dell Latitude D610 (I usually stream internet radio); I've had no audio problems with the previous versions (5.3.3 and 5.3.1). After I run the audio wizard, I get an initial pop from the speaker and that is all.

I use Slacko/D610 as a backup, because I run an unstable branch on my main notebook.

Installed pets:

emacs24.2
truecrypt-7.1
links-2.7
tinylogin-1.4
flashplayer11-11.2...
cursor_themes.0.1

01micko

Re: Two jwmconfig2 bugs and suggested fixes reported elsewhere

#132 Post by 01micko »

npierce wrote:Here are a couple of jwmconfig2 bugs that were discovered in other Puppy versions, but look to be in Slacko 5.4 as well. Suggested fixes are included.
Thanks for that npierce.

Actually I am doing a full rewrite of all the stuff in jwmconfig2, Joe is releasing a new version soon (he's up to r635 now) and some things have changed. The nifty icon changer for the window buttons will be obsolete as the icons now scale with the height of the title bar.Also, things have changed a little bit in the tray. I envisage 1 gui to control all tray settings. Why do we need a separate gui for tray height, virtual desktops.. etc? I'll probably go with your fixed keyboard script though.

There are also includes that cover includes. This is messy. I'll see what can be done about that.

01micko

#133 Post by 01micko »

Joe Wing has released JWM-635 which is getting closer to the next stable release.

There are some significant changes which does break some existing configuration tools mentioned in my previous post.

A brief summary;
  • compositing is fixed
  • window buttons now scale with title bar height (this breaks the gui to change the buttons)
  • the entries in the pager and the buttons in the task bar (menu, launchers) are now square, not rounded. This is by design. Windows are still rounded. This partially breaks the launcher gui (mentioned in previous post), as the launcher icons can now have a border or no border. This is controlled inside the <TrayButton> tag with the border="true" or "false". With a border it looks a little like Icewm.
  • for more read the changelog
I recommend you back up /usr/bin/jwm in case you don't like this new version.

As usual use at own risk.
Attachments
jwm-635-i486-s14.pet
you may wish to back up /usr/bin/jwm before installation
(91.32 KiB) Downloaded 331 times

npierce

Re: Two jwmconfig2 bugs and suggested fixes reported elsewhere

#134 Post by npierce »

01micko,

You're welcome.
01micko wrote:Actually I am doing a full rewrite of all the stuff in jwmconfig2, Joe is releasing a new version soon (he's up to r635 now) and some things have changed.
Thanks for keeping jwmconfig2 up to date with JWM (as well as all the other work you do supporting Slacko).

ozsouth

JWM shading - updated 27/1/13 - fix from JWM creator

#135 Post by ozsouth »

Anyone know how to turn off shading in JWM? My fumble-fingered mousing keeps shading apps. I could install Icewm, but Slacko 540 is so good I don't want to mess it.
** Edit - Joe W, creator of JWM has allowed shading to be disabled - see link. **

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=680510
Last edited by ozsouth on Sun 27 Jan 2013, 05:41, edited 2 times in total.

gulk

Audio CD

#136 Post by gulk »

tlchost wrote: It is my understanding that older puppies did show an icon for music cds. Is there any way to incorporate that feature in 5.4?
I think in the "Desktop->Desktop Drive icon manager", there is an option to check that is unchecked by default:
"Tick box for auto-launch 'handler' when media plugged"

It might or not create an icon on the desktop, but at least it will launch your default player with the music CD.
tlchost wrote: Slacko is great...thanks heaps for your efforts!
Indeed, this is the best Puppy I've tried so far. The attention to details is very impressive, considering the wide array of hardware it supports right out of the box.

PS: I had my mom over for Christmas; she came with her laptop and I thought, what the heck, let's try to introduce her to Linux using Slacko 5.4, without believing she would buy into it... Guess what, she's hooked now. She is extremely computer challenged and doesn't know the difference between an application and an OS... Well, you guys made it so easy to transition to your distribution, there is no excuse to not show it off anymore!!!

PPS: I made my mom run on a USB flash drive, but that prevent the laptop from going into "suspend" mode, because of the following in the /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh script:

Code: Select all

# do not suspend if usb media mounted
USBS=$(probedisk2|grep '|usb' | cut -d'|' -f1 )
for USB in $USBS
do
	mount | grep -q "^$USB" && exit
done
I had to manually comment these lines out, and now the laptop goes to sleep and resumes from sleep without issue, by clicking the hard power button, then pressing the "susupend" button.
Would you be able to detect if the Puppy runs from a USB stick and not apply this check in that case?

PPPS:
in the /etc/acpi/actions/acpi_poweroff.sh script, there is a typo:

<label>Susupend</label>
should be

<label>Suspend</label>

I'm very impressed. You bested yourself once more, 01Micko et al.
Gulk

Master_wrong

#137 Post by Master_wrong »

during install into usb flashdisk there is syslinux error
possibly unsafe /tmp/ permissions
fix
chmod 1777 /tmp
then run installer
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]

01micko

#138 Post by 01micko »

Perms are already 1777 on /tmp. You may have installed a bad package.

SFR

#139 Post by SFR »

@Master_wrong & @01micko

That's strange, but in my case /tmp sometimes has 1777 and sometimes 777.
Eg. in my install (pmedia=ataflash on internal SATA HDD) it had 777 by default and I couldn't make it to preserve 1777 after reboot.
(/initrd/pup_ro2/tmp has 777 as well, perhaps that's why?)
I simply added chmod 1777 /tmp to rc.sysinit to achieve this.

On the other hand, when I switch to pmedia=atahd, /tmp suddenly becomes 1777 and, in addition, it appears as a mount point.
(I checked this a few minutes ago in VBox, 5.4-PAE)

Also, pristine boot without a savefile also gives /tmp 777.

IIRC I noticed this also in 5.3.3, but I didn't report it, because usually I have "luck" of experiencing "it's_just_me" kind of issues...

@Mick:
Any progress regarding savefile deadlocks? Have you been able to recreate the problem, at all?

HTH
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Master_wrong

#140 Post by Master_wrong »

@sfr and @micko

I'm testing the firefox version, pristine boot/no save file. trying to install to a usb flasdisk.

thanks
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]