ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#241 Post by stifiling »

i'd like to start working on some of those isos. an XFCE one. i'd also like simargl to link to it and advertise it in the first post, so what do u think OP?

James C

#242 Post by James C »

Finally did a fresh frugal install of 12.12.1 ........ display,internet and sound all working and correct on initial boot.Using the Archapps sfs as well....... no problems there.
Failed making a savefile on first attempt so I just manually added it.
Everything working and no drama so short report. :)

simargl

#243 Post by simargl »

ciento wrote:It can't find Arch12.12.sfs, which is there, on the disk, and in the root partitions. It hits the prompt quickly, while looking for puppy files.
What is the name and size of default savefile?
Hi, new main sfs name is archpup-12.12.sfs, old one was archpup-1212.sfs, so if you don't replace old initrd.gz, it will fail while searching for old file name.
James C wrote:Finally did a fresh frugal install of 12.12.1 ........ display,internet and sound all working and correct on initial boot.Using the Archapps sfs as well....... no problems there.
Failed making a savefile on first attempt so I just manually added it.
Everything working and no drama so short report. :)
Thanks for your comment, I'm glad that everything works :wink:

simargl

#244 Post by simargl »

stifiling: I like your idea of having different isos for all kind of users from beginners to experts, but for now better stick to only two:
- Archpup Light Apps iso (w/main.sfs and light DE.sfs for intermediates)
- Archpup Medium Apps iso (w/main.sfs and medium DE.sfs for intermediates and beginners)
I will make first one, and you if you want or any other interested user, could make that bigger iso, with xfce, lxde or whatever you like, perhaps you could use archapps as source. Archapps sfs size is 67 mb, goal for that file was not to reduce size, but to add all applications I use regularly - otherwise qt4, package with 28mb would not be there.

simargl

#245 Post by simargl »

I made new iso with linux-firware, relaced urxvt with lxterminal, recompiled thunar with static xfce libs, removed some themes, moved /usr/lib/python2.7 to arch-dev
- now size is 82.8 MB. Will try so find something more, also I want to change user interface, move tint2 to bottom change conky look, themes...
Last edited by simargl on Tue 08 Jan 2013, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#246 Post by stifiling »

simargl wrote:stifiling: I like your idea of having different isos for all kind of users from beginners to experts, but for now better stick to only two:
- Archpup Light Apps iso (w/main.sfs and light DE.sfs for intermediates)
- Archpup Medium Apps iso (w/main.sfs and medium DE.sfs for intermediates and beginners)
I will make first one, and you if you want or any other interested user, could make that bigger iso, with xfce, lxde or whatever you like, perhaps you could use archapps as source. Archapps sfs size is 67 mb, goal for that file was not to reduce size, but to add all applications I use regularly - otherwise qt4, package with 28mb would not be there.
OMG!!! TY! TY! TY! Dude!!!!! ok sounds good.

Scooby

#247 Post by Scooby »

mavrothal wrote: The challenge will be in these 80 MB to strike the perfect mix of "adequate functionality" and this "adequate functionality" to be widely accepted as adequate. Not just by experts and tinkerers.
I am no expert, guess that makes me a tinkerer. :D

I feel no need to uninstall stuff from the main sfs I merely wanted to know how to handle dependency conflicts when sfs with those dependencies are unloaded.

For me iso size is not a big deal, 100 or 150mb, no difference.

I'd go for making main iso work out of the box with wireless and firmware
and so on

I agree with "maverick" mavrothal
mavrothal wrote: If the idea is that the base can be just used to build the system of your preference through pacman, then the wider possible hardware compatibility should be in the base. ie, video, audio, network, printing and peripherals drivers.
Not only boot to terminal, that is to scary.
openbox is fine.

I personally like to have a lot of stuff in sfs files and not in savefile.
But I dont like bloated sfs mixed with stuff I never use. Perfect for beginners and I can happily report I passed that stage. :D

Thats why I like makesfs script. You can very easy, gorgeously easy,
tailor make your own.

simargl

#248 Post by simargl »

I replaced geany with mousepad, that redused iso size to 82.2 MB. Also downloaded slitaz iso to compare folder /usr/lib/gconv in ArchPup vs slitaz - and they are very different.
  • /usr/lib/gconv
    ArchPup: 253 files - 5.9 MB
    slitaz: 6 files - 107 KB

stifiling

#249 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:Not only boot to terminal, that is to scary.
it may be scary to some but to others like me, i know which terminal, window manager, editor, etc. are my favorites. i like clean as a whistle because i know all the apps i want, to dirty it up. i don't want any extras. i don't want preloaded stuff that i have to figure out how to get it out. which is why Arch Linux, is preferred by so many.

i like to load to tty, and install XFCE.
i do not like to load to openbox, install XFCE, and figure out how to get rid of openbox.

so this distro has everything that's needed to easily appeal to Arch Linux users, (who likes to start with nothing but a 'base') puppy linux users, and Ubuntu users (who like it full of apps and ready to go).

darkcity

#250 Post by darkcity »

I guess a barebones version is possible for the tinkerers. BTW Puppy ES uses Openbox and Tint2, looks smart http://puppylinux.org/wikka/es_Puppy-es

8)

Scooby

#251 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote: i like clean as a whistle because i know all the apps i want, to dirty it up. i don't want any extras. i don't want preloaded stuff that i have to figure out how to get it out.
i like to load to tty
If tty then

An extremely easy and well made tutorial with images and kindergarten instructions should be made

Else

Headache!

end

mavrothal

makepfile patch

#252 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stifiling

#253 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:If tty then

An extremely easy and well made tutorial with images and kindergarten instructions should be made

Else

Headache!

end
Let's not get nasty now...

Arch Linux = More Users than Puppy
Arch Linux loads to tty prompt.

I think u're misunderstanding the idea anyhow.

simargl

#254 Post by simargl »

I applied your patch, tested with frugal install on usb flash inside folder Arch, created ext4 savefile, it works OK... Thanks 8) Also, good news is that I managed to reduce iso size more than I thought its possible, size is now 78 mb, only by removing files from /usr/lib/gconv and /usr/share/i18n/charmaps. To do this, I downloaded puppy precise iso, and edited script that creates archpup-12.12.sfs, to remove all files from these two directories that were in archpup, but not in precise.

Scooby

#255 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote: I think u're misunderstanding the idea anyhow.
why dont you explain it then?

whose idea anyway? your personal or simargls?

But its okay for me, You go ahead and make wot you like.
Some other folks will just sample you and put up a new puppy version
of archpup then that suits a beginners requirements.

Isnt this the lesson of Puppy and linux history? The solution is yet another distro?

stifiling

#256 Post by stifiling »

Scooby, i understand that. I already know this thing is going to have forks and remasters all over the place. Which is why we should do the 'Ubuntu to this Debian', before someone else does.

the idea is to have two sfs files on the iso. so it will boot to a gui Desktop.

But there are users who like to switch a lot, so if one decides they want a different Desktop Environment, they can delete 'one' of the sfs files, the gui one, and load a different one.

There are also users who don't want a desktop environment at all, and only want to use ncurses. For those users they could delete the one gui sfs file, and only use the main sfs which loads to a tty prompt.

For users who don't like something specific in the default desktop environment (maybe they like xfce, but don't like xfce-terminal) they could make their own, mix and matched desktop environment sfs, and load it to the main.sfs.

This gives the user full control, regardless of what type of user it is.

my advice is not to have the iso, boot to a tty prompt. only the Bare one. not the main Signature one.

and ideas come from somewhere, they're either accepted or rejected. and i'm hoping this one is accepted by simargl. files cannot be deleted out of an sfs, and this is a layout that would solve that.

you're a user who doesn't mind having apps in your linux that you may never use. if it comes with mplayer, and you prefer vlc, you'll hide or ignore the mplayer. A lot of ppl want a way to totally remove the mplayer.

Scooby

#257 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote: you're a user who doesn't mind having apps in your linux that you may never use. if it comes with mplayer, and you prefer vlc, you'll hide or ignore the mplayer. A lot of ppl want a way to totally remove the mplayer.
nah I would mind if ISO was growing to 400-500mb.

But for 50mb when you got 6 gig ram and 500 gig hdd,
nah to much effort, to little gain to worry about it.

Do you intend this xfce sfs to be loaded easily from tty or
do you have to start hacking in system files to get it started?
stifiling wrote: you're a user who doesn't mind having apps in your linux that you may never use. if it comes with mplayer, and you prefer vlc, you'll hide or ignore the mplayer. A lot of ppl want a way to totally remove the mplayer.
I must confess,I don't get this at all. If I want to play video and
mplayer is installed and does the job. Then why bother?

One filemanager over another. Their 90 % the same anyway

Others are like this but it just shoots past me.

Yeah, takes a little time to find your way in new menus but so does reinstall.

stifiling

#258 Post by stifiling »

the XFCE.iso WILL boot to the XFCE Desktop Environment.

the XFCE.iso WILL NOT boot to a tty prompt.

you seem like you're trying to be a lil argumentative and the argument is weak.

Some users don't mind:
"Ahh, who cares, i have a nice computer. This distro came with Boxee but i use XBMC, i'll just keep them both."

Some users do mind:
"Hey?? I have a nice computer too. This distro came with Boxee but i use XBMC, how do I get this Boxee the hell off of here?"

ciento

#259 Post by ciento »

This is the output when booting from cd or usb:

"Loading drivers needed to access disk drives
searching for archpup files
(white dots appear, then red dots)
archpup-12.12.sfs not found
Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console"
--------------------------------------------------------
archpup-12.12.sfs is in
/
/home/
/media/xp
on the cd
on the usbstick.
:?
Is there a command to use at that point?

mavrothal

#260 Post by mavrothal »

wrong post
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==