LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
otropogo

#481 Post by otropogo »

RSH wrote:Hello.

From now on the Function to use the LazY Puppy Easy Online Updater will be activated. It is strongly recommended to install the attached .pet file. Either installing when using a personal storage file or downloading and installing into a fresh and clean system (RAM, NO save file) (RECOMMENED!!!).

LazY Puppy will inform then automatically on available future Upgrades, Updates and Fixes - if connected to the internet, after the X-Desktop is loaded.

Otherwise use menu LazY Puppy, entry: LazY Puppy Easy Online Updater.

RSH

Note!

After installing this Upgrade, do not install any of my applications from the forum. These programs are older versions now!

Edit:

When remastering LazY Puppy make sure directory /root/Downloads/Updates is copied to /tmp/root/Downloads/. This is the download and also install directory of hte LazY Puppy Updates.

When using a save file, directory Updates is kept automatically.
I've been trying to understand what you mean by "no save file...LazyPupy is and sfs puppy only".

How does the user maintain the configurations of his desktop and application without a save file? I've been using Puppy exclusively in Live mode (either booting from a LiveCD/DVD or from a usbflash install, with the 2fs files that hold my installed apps and configuration settings residing on my PC's hard drive.

How could I do that without a 2fs file? More importantly, how could I transition to Lazypup without losing all of the apps and their configurations that are currently saved in my 2fs file?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

RSH

#482 Post by RSH »

I've been trying to understand what you mean by "no save file...LazyPupy is and sfs puppy only".
I'm using LazY Puppy frugal from USB Stick (USB Flash) and I do create save file at shutdown only for special purposes. At Home I don't use a save file to 100% and in my Drumming Room I use a 512 MB save file only for doing music, recordings, composing and playing the drums.

If I want to have applications permanently in the OS, I do a remaster with LazY Remaster Suite. For data I do use symbolic links to external directories and/or files. If needed, I do expand my make_needed_symlinks script, which creates symbolic links currently for some data based audio players like Aqualung and Amarok.

For data and applications not needed every day, I build sfs files.

I like it this way, even though it needs a bit more time than to save to a save file from time to time. But mostly it is as comfortable as saving to a save file is.
More importantly, how could I transition to Lazypup without losing all of the apps and their configurations that are currently saved in my 2fs file?
This will surely take some time and needs some work to do (at first step, a bit more).

If I would intend to do what you want to do, I would boot a fresh and clean LazY Puppy, RAM, no save file. Then mounting the 2.fs (single left-click on it) and copying all needed/wanted stuff manually into the OS. At first step I would NOT overwrite existing files.

Then make some checks on the applications, if they would run/work. Applications that won't run/work, I do try to run from the console, to get information if some libs are missed etc. Copying this stuff into the OS and try to run the app again - until it works or until I have to give up.

If everything is fine, doing a remaster.

Another way could be, to create an empty directory, copying complete (needed/wanted) content of the 2.fs file into this empty directory (keep the file/dir structure) and then building a sfs. After this loading the sfs with sfs_load and checking the apps to run/work.

LazY Puppy 2.0.2 build 0.0.3 does not use its Extension sfs. So you could build the 'StArtLPx2_Extension.sfs' by yourself to use it for your own apps and files. If no special LazY Puppy boot option is given, it loads the Extension sfs automatically at boot up - just like it would do if it would be the zdrv.sfs. The mount point of the zdrv.sfs is used for this feature. No extra mount point will be used for this.

For the LazY Puppy Boot Options look at the '*.msg' files (F1 - F6) at boot up or at the LazY Puppy Guides Menu in the running OS.

Hope that helps

RSH

P.S.

LazY Remaster Suite keeps almost everything what's needed, except: you are installing special files to /root and/or /etc. Such files must be copied manually to /tmp/root and/or /tmp/etc at remastering - just once. On next remaster these files will be kept automatically.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

ASRI éducation

#483 Post by ASRI éducation »

@ RSH
Hello RSH
I understand that you want to pause.
I renew my congratulations for your various contributions.
More ... Once you have finished your break!

otropogo

#484 Post by otropogo »

RSH wrote:...

For data and applications not needed every day, I build sfs files.

LazY Remaster Suite keeps almost everything what's needed, except: you are installing special files to /root and/or /etc. Such files must be copied manually to /tmp/root and/or /tmp/etc at remastering - just once. On next remaster these files will be kept automatically.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure I only partly understand it, except that it would be complicated if not impossible to duplicate the functionality I have now. I see the advantage of loading sfs files for special applications, but how do you preserver things like browser settings, which are fairly complicated?

When you use a browser, do you load it as an sfs file and then configure it the way you want it each time? How about the bookmarks and passwords? Do they all have to be reconstituted?

The other problem is see with this is that one has to rely on existing sfs files. I use both Rawstudio and UFRaw in lupu528. I see Rawstudio in your list of available sfs files on page 1 of this thread, but not UFRaw, nor x-fprot.

BTW where are these files? When I clicked on the link for the list, I didn't see any links for downloading Rawstudio or Rawtherapie sfs . Can your sfs files be used with lupu 528 also?

muggins

#485 Post by muggins »

LP2_RawTherapee30a1.sfs
LP2_Rawstudio102.sfs

They should work fine in lupu528...but you might need to modify RSH's .desktop files to get them in the menu.

RSH

#486 Post by RSH »

The other problem is see with this is that one has to rely on existing sfs files. I use both Rawstudio and UFRaw in lupu528. I see Rawstudio in your list of available sfs files on page 1 of this thread, but not UFRaw, nor x-fprot.

BTW where are these files? When I clicked on the link for the list, I didn't see any links for downloading Rawstudio or Rawtherapie sfs . Can your sfs files be used with lupu 528 also?
UFRaw is either in RawTherapee or in RawStudio SFS (can't remember). Most of the LP2_ SFS Files should work also on Lucid Puppy, but you need to edit some .desktop files of some LP2_ SFS Files to get the menu entry.

The presented List is just a List. No links to download. These files are at somkey's server. Link is below the Images at first post, and now, here also:

LazY Puppy Repo bei smokey01.com

I don't know x-fprot.
When you use a browser, do you load it as an sfs file and then configure it the way you want it each time? How about the bookmarks and passwords? Do they all have to be reconstituted?
Yes, browser is loaded as SFS.

I don't use password saving functions in browsers etc. I have my passwords always in my mind - even phone numbers and stuff like that. It's the one and only secure way!

I save bookmarks in a text file and do a copy/paste for it into the browser's address field.

Murga forum, E-Mail Account, and my Puppy Repos at smokey01 and mediafire is mostly all I do use from the web. I'm not really interested in the web and I'm not a "friend" of the internet.

otropogo

#487 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:LP2_RawTherapee30a1.sfs
LP2_Rawstudio102.sfs

They should work fine in lupu528...but you might need to modify RSH's .desktop files to get them in the menu.
Thanks muggins. Will I need to use RHS's sfs2pet conversion, or can I load them into Lucid as they are?

otropogo

#488 Post by otropogo »

RSH wrote:

UFRaw is either in RawTherapee or in RawStudio SFS (can't remember). Most of the LP2_ SFS Files should work also on Lucid Puppy, but you need to edit some .desktop files of some LP2_ SFS Files to get the menu entry.

The presented List is just a List. No links to download. These files are at somkey's server. Link is below the Images at first post, and now, here also:

LazY Puppy Repo bei smokey01.com

I don't know x-fprot.
Yes, browser is loaded as SFS.

I don't use password saving functions in browsers etc. I have my passwords always in my mind - even phone numbers and stuff like that. It's the one and only secure way!

I save bookmarks in a text file and do a copy/paste for it into the browser's address field.

Murga forum, E-Mail Account, and my Puppy Repos at smokey01 and mediafire is mostly all I do use from the web. I'm not really interested in the web and I'm not a "friend" of the internet.
Thanks for the explanation. It's more or less what I was afraid of. I spend a lot of time searching the WEB and a fair amount participating in various forums.

I also save quite a bit of material, as the most interesting stuff, contrary to the widely disseminated view, has a way of disappearing quickly and permanently. Some of this stuff eventually needs to be viewed in Windows, and therefore my need for an antivirus that runs under Puppy.

X-fprot is a gui for the free antivirus Fprot. It is on demand only, and used to be bundled with Puppy until recently, despite some difficulties in activation. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a deb package for installing it, only a somewhat long in the tooth pet.

With Knoppix I have to settle for ClamAV, which is quite a bit more complicated to use. I haven't been able to figure out how to install ClamAV in Lucid yet.

Re: Rawtherapee, Rawstudio and UFRaw. I've been using the latter two in Puppy for some time, thanks, IIRC, to pets created some time ago by Tempestuous. In Knoppix I'm able to install more recent versions of these via deb packages, so I'd be surprised if UFRaw is contained in either of your sfs files.

Can I load these sfs files directly into lupupluslibre without making any permanent changes to my 2fs file? And would your sfs2pet utility allow me to install them into my 2fs save file?

Although I'd find it very cumbersome to have to reconfigure my browser and certain other apps every time I use them, I am getting a bit pinched for space in my 2fs file. It's at 1.4GB right now, and the icon is glowing red. I don't lkack space on my main system, but some of my older systems are more limited. Saving such a long file is also slow, especially on an older system or if one has to save it to flash memory.

So using sfs files does have a very distinct appeal for me. But the old problem of being dependent on a limited and aging selection of apps (just as with pets) dampens my enthusiasm. Now if there were a utility for taking a deb package and making an sfs or pet out of it for use with either lazypup or lucid, that would be quite helpful.

RSH

#489 Post by RSH »

I'd be surprised if UFRaw is contained in either of your sfs files.
Sorry, it isn't.

It is in the Fotoxx SFS.
Can I load these sfs files directly into lupupluslibre without making any permanent changes to my 2fs file?
Loading SFS files should not make any permanent changes in a save file. Usually they should load/unload without any problems. SFS files that do not unload at request, will be unloaded after reboot. This is generally SFS behavior.
find it very cumbersome to have to reconfigure my browser and certain other apps every time I use them
I know from forum members they use a symbolic link for browser data etc. like I do it for my media players. This should work for almost every application.

But the old problem of being dependent on a limited and aging selection of apps (just as with pets) dampens my enthusiasm. Now if there were a utility for taking a deb package and making an sfs or pet out of it for use with either lazypup or lucid, that would be quite helpful.
LazY Puppy has a lot of tools to convert sfs to pet, pet to sfs and to combine several pet/deb files into an sfs. Also converting directories containing pet files into single sfs file (each pet converted to sfs). Most of this tools are right-click tools but can be used also from the menu with a GUI.

On the forum there is PaDS, which combines pet and deb files into a single sfs file - also with right-click on the directory containing the pet and deb files.

My LazY Puppy boot directory currently contains 307 SFS files. From these SFS files I have created 449 RunScripts for the 449 Programs included in these SFS files. So, not really limited. :lol:

Did you try SFS PLUS 2.0.5 (Forum Utilities)?

Thanks for the x-fprot-info.

RSH

RSH

#490 Post by RSH »

ASRI éducation wrote:@ RSH
LazY-Automated-Update : thank you for this handy utility, I tested with two french versions of Puppy (Toutou Linux 431 & ASRI Edu 300), everything works.
RSH wrote:Yes, this is a handy utility - especially for the use in LazY Puppy.

I don't know, if I can do what you suggest, because this is intended only for new updates and not for older versions of .pet files etc.pp.

To build especially update .pet files I do use a modified version of (dir2pet, makepet). For normal .pet files, I use normal 'makepet'. For update .pet files, I use special 'makepet-web' application.

The 'makepet-web' application creates a .pet as usual. It also creates pinstall.sh script and two text files, one named as the .pet (plus .info.txt) and another also named as the .pet (plus .info-de.txt).

If there is already a pinstall.sh script, it combines the existing pinstall.sh script with its pinstall.sh output script.

The two .txt files including a string, made to show information about the .pet in a Xdialog GUI (to read info online before installing).

If I do create a screenshot manually, named as the .pet (plus .screenshot.jpg), then I can present also screenshots before installing.

The created pinstall.sh script marks the .pet as installed by creating a simple and empty .txt file, named as the .pet (plus .txt) in /usr/local/LazY-Automated-Update/installed. Files found there will be excluded from the GUI at next search for updates.
I have refined this script and build a PET.

If you want to try how it works, here it is: LazY-MakePET-Web-1.0.pet

It creates a run.sh script to be able to have a look at how the information file (xxx.pet.info.txt) would look in the Xdialog-GUI. It's very useful on editing the info file.

The info file is created only at first time when making the .pet file. So, you can edit it and create the .pet file again without to overwrite it.

RSH
Attachments
LazY-MakePET-Web-1.0.pet
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

otropogo

#491 Post by otropogo »

RSH wrote:
I'd be surprised if UFRaw is contained in either of your sfs files.
Sorry, it isn't.

It is in the Fotoxx SFS.
Fotoxx was the first Linux app that allowed me to view Panasonic RAW files. I haven't used it lately, because I'm able to install and run UFRAW and RAWstudio under Knoppix.

And, IIRC, Fotoxx is just an image viewer, without editing capabilities.

The particular appeal of UFRaw is that
:

1. it acts as a plug-in for GIMP, as well as functioning standalone (RAWstudio is standalone only, IIRC), and

2. UFRaw is also available as Windows freeware. I'm running it under Win2K as well.

So it would be a very worthwhile addition to your stable of sfs apps.

I know from forum members they use a symbolic link for browser data etc. like I do it for my media players. This should work for almost every application.
I wish I could understand the mechanism you're referring to, but I don't have a clue how to implement this tip...

On the forum there is PaDS, which combines pet and deb files into a single sfs file - also with right-click on the directory containing the pet and deb files.
Another intriguing tip the workings of which I can't comprehend. I know how to download deb and pet packages, place them in a common folder, and right click on a folder. But imaginig what the result would be is a blank.

I'll have a look for PaDS, and perhaps an explanation.
My LazY Puppy boot directory currently contains 307 SFS files. From these SFS files I have created 449 RunScripts for the 449 Programs included in these SFS files. So, not really limited. :lol:
I didn't mean to belittle your very commendable efforts. But no single person could hope to keep up with all of the Linux packages out there.

Consider the fact that there is (and has been for some years) only a single free RAW plug-in for GIMP, the most popular Linux photo editor by far, yet it isn't among your collection of sfs conversions. And there must be many more equally essential Linux apps out there that likely will never come to your attention because they don't happen to fall into your personal areas of interest.

There are even serious photographers, as I understand it, who don't use RAW format yet, and so would have no interest in RAWstudio or UFRaw. And most point and shoot cameras don't offer RAW format to the user at all.
Did you try SFS PLUS 2.0.5 (Forum Utilities)?
Not yet, but will try to get to it, thanks.
Thanks for the x-fprot-info.
You're welcome, and I hope you're able to convert it. BTW - please let me know also if you locate a deb package for it. I'd like to install it in Knoppix as well.

Fprot and Fsecure (its parent company) have gotten poor reviews in AV comparisons recently. However, x-fprot makes fprot easy to update and easy to use The biggest hassle is that you can't save the scan path, and have to browse to it every time you start the program. There's also a danger if you choose to "list all files scanned" and set it to scan your entire system. The resulting report can fill up a 2fs file and make it unusable.

OTOH, Fsecure updates the virus list fairly regularly, and xfprot allows you to update it without the user of a browser.

I don't know much about ClamAV, but I'd be interested in trying an sfs version of that too, given that it appears to be the only other free Virus scanner for Linux.

RSH

#492 Post by RSH »

I wish I could understand the mechanism you're referring to, but I don't have a clue how to implement this tip...
Example:

Aqualung saves its data usually in /root/.aqualung.

I have created directory .aqualung in the directory of my documents at the boot partition and put in there the aqualung files.

Then I've made a symbolic link to this directory in /root

So, now directory /root/.aqualung is pointed/linked to /mnt/sdd1/Dateien/Aqualung/.aqualung - no data inside the OS, no data inside of a save file.

If I boot LazY Puppy (RAM, no save file) I just run a small script that creates the symbolic link for Aqualung and also for some other applications.
Fotoxx is just an image viewer
Yes, it is. It has only some rudimentary functions to edit images. Not worth to be named.
The particular appeal of UFRaw is that
:

1. it acts as a plug-in for GIMP, as well as functioning standalone (RAWstudio is standalone only, IIRC), and

2. UFRaw is also available as Windows freeware. I'm running it under Win2K as well.

So it would be a very worthwhile addition to your stable of sfs apps.
Any links for that?
And there must be many more equally essential Linux apps out there that likely will never come to your attention because they don't happen to fall into your personal areas of interest.
A lot of the LazY Puppy SFS files are applications that I'm not interested in. But if it did work, I did make an SFS for that. So, again: any links for that?

RSH

#493 Post by RSH »

Hi.

List of available single sfs files updated. Now 251 files available.

LazY Puppy Repo at smokey01.com

RSH

kowalski

Kowalski

#494 Post by kowalski »

To be completely happy yet I miss OOMidi and jsampler. Will it be and when?

RSH

Re: Kowalski

#495 Post by RSH »

kowalski wrote:To be completely happy yet I miss OOMidi and jsampler. Will it be and when?
Hi.

I don't know both of them. Any links for that?

RSH

nancy reagan

long list of sfs's

#496 Post by nancy reagan »

RSH wrote:Hi.

List of available single sfs files updated. Now 251 files available.

LazY Puppy Repo at smokey01.com

RSH
Quite impressive, though of most don't know what they do.

Though you already do a lot of work, would it be hard to give a 1 word description of each sfs, next time ?

kowalski

Kowalski

#497 Post by kowalski »

kowalski

Re: Kowalski

#498 Post by kowalski »

kowalski wrote:To be completely happy yet I miss OOMidi and jsampler. Will it be and when?
still:

http://jsampler.sourceforge.net/
http://www.linuxsampler.org/screenshots.html

Very good programs, especially jsampler-fantasia (there are qsampler, rarely used), in addition oomidi next expected version (currently 2012), as they write, it will be with the soundtrack. Thank you and congratulations on a really great implementation of this version 2.0.2, up to date. As for what he wrote "nancy reagan", in fact, someone who rarely engaged in programs. can u use it to wake wąpliwość individual SFS, the name itself suggests is not always applicable. I also sometimes wątpliowści when it comes to programs, especially not music. Yours sincerely.

RSH

#499 Post by RSH »

kowalski wrote:Thank you and congratulations on a really great implementation of this version 2.0.2, up to date.
Thanks! :D

Also for the Links. Will have a look at this as soon as possible. I'm always interested especially in Audio, Video & Graphics Software.
nancy reagan wrote:Quite impressive, though of most don't know what they do.

Though you already do a lot of work, would it be hard to give a 1 word description of each sfs, next time ?
Yes it's a lot of sfs files. And yes, most people might not know what they do.

I started LazY Puppy as a project, to build "my own Puppy" and then to see, if anyone else would find it useful and/or will/can use it. Since the beginning I did never really come to a point to use the LazY Puppy - except to use it for developing it.

So, a lot of programs I also do not really know, what they do - except by editing the .desktop file. :lol:

I will add such information, when adding some needed information to the files, because some of them are still available in the current version of LazY Puppy.

RSH

kowalski

Kowalski

#500 Post by kowalski »

RSH wrote:
kowalski wrote:Thank you and congratulations on a really great implementation of this version 2.0.2, up to date.
Thanks! :D

Also for the Links. Will have a look at this as soon as possible. I'm always interested especially in Audio, Video & Graphics Software.
nancy reagan wrote:Quite impressive, though of most don't know what they do.

Yes it's a lot of sfs files. And yes, most people might not know what they do.

I started LazY Puppy as a project, to build "my own Puppy" and then to see, if anyone else would find it useful and/or will/can use it. Since the beginning I did never really come to a point to use the LazY Puppy - except to use it for developing it.

So, a lot of programs I also do not really know, what they do - except by editing the .desktop file. :lol:

I will add such information, when adding some needed information to the files, because some of them are still available in the current version of LazY Puppy.

RSH
Jsamplera case finally solved itself, because I forgot
earlier about some important matter. So first install the
Puppy Package Manager - qsampler. Important. Do not run!!!
If you run before you run linuxsamplera - will not be
worked!! Then install linuxsampler and liblinuxsampler (the Puppy Package Manager, no, just download and install from the link given earlier).
In a terminal run - linuxsampler, followed by the launch. then
You can easily run qsampler (also jsampler and
jsampler-fantasia after downloading and installing it from the link given earlier).