glibc upgrade

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Dewbie

#21 Post by Dewbie »

01micko wrote:
Put that script in your executable path and call it however you like.
Thanks, Mick. :)
Does this mean I can open a Window / Terminal Here in the folder, then write the script?

Edit:
(See below)
Thanks, amigo. :)
Last edited by Dewbie on Mon 07 Jan 2013, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#22 Post by amigo »

Browse with the filer to a place in your PATH, then right-click on the filer window and choose New -> File. Then open the new file with an editor and compose/paste your script and save. Be sure to make the file executable so it can be run.

watchdog

Glibc or glibc2?

#23 Post by watchdog »

The Debian packages site reported that glibc is a virtual package of what you name glibc2 or libc6. I tried the 01micko suggestion in wary. With peazip I put the content of libc6 in a DIR. With the script launching Firefox I used the command LD_LIBRARY_PATH indicating the paths of the subdirectories of DIR with libc6 and I tried to install a recent google-talkplugin which needs glibc >= 2.11. I did have not success: error in the terminal "file too short" with a library of the debian libc6 package. Perhaps we should compile for wary glibc source:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/

I don't have the skill to do this. With the compiled glibc (make install DESTDIR=DIR...) we should try the 01micko suggestion.

Monsie

Re: Glibc or glibc2?

#24 Post by Monsie »

watchdog wrote:Perhaps we should compile for wary glibc source:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/

I don't have the skill to do this. With the compiled glibc (make install DESTDIR=DIR...) we should try the 01micko suggestion.
Compiling glibc from source is no easy feat... it could be called: The mother of all compilations :lol: An easier approach might be to re-work the debian package for libc6-2.11.3-4 It turns out that the debian package overwrites the existing libc files in Puppy. While it appears to work at first, attempts to un-install this package will break my Wary system... as I later found out... so be sure to have a backup in place.

I have re-packaged the debian files for libc6 using the local pathway. (In fact, the developers recommend compiling the source to the local directory so as not to risk breaking your existing configuration). While I have installed and un-installed my re-packaged Pet numerous times without any apparent repercussions, I cannot confirm that it works because I am having difficulties writing a workable script to test Apache OpenOffice.

Here is the script I wrote and put in /opt/openoffice.org3/program directory while following Mick's example:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec soffice.bin "$@"
The script is executable, and the new libc files have full permissions also.

Here is an excerpt from my xerrors.log
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libsvt.so)
So it shows that OpenOffice does need libc6-2.11 or better... which means the system requirements in the documentation need to be updated.... but also, that OpenOffice is not able to detect the path to the newer libc6 files...

At this point, I have worked on this for two days, and now I feel stuck --ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

postfs1

Re: Glibc or glibc2?

#25 Post by postfs1 »

Monsie wrote:...
At this point, I have worked on this for two days, and now I feel stuck --ideas anyone?
Maybe there are some tools which will give statistics about realization of paths, which new version of library does require.

:arrow: http://www.graphviz.org/

:arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace
Information about the Internet page: Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

For examples sake, how would this poster pipe something like freshclam via script?

#!/bin/bash 
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/glibc-2.15:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
exec ???

jamesbond

#27 Post by jamesbond »

Monsie,

I'm assuming you put the copy of debian's glibc in /usr/local/lib (is this what you call as the "local pathway"?).

Your code was:
#!/bin/sh
exec soffice.bin "$@"
It should be
#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec soffice.bin "$@"
Note: no dollar-sign in front of /usr/local/lib
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Monsie

glibc upgrade

#28 Post by Monsie »

jamesbond wrote:Monsie,

I'm assuming you put the copy of debian's glibc in /usr/local/lib (is this what you call as the "local pathway"?)

Your code was:
#!/bin/sh
exec soffice.bin "$@"
It should be
#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec soffice.bin "$@"
Note: no dollar-sign in front of /usr/local/lib
Thanks, jamesbond

Yes, that is what I refer to as the local pathway... and that small change to the script that I overlooked makes a lot of sense. :)

Unfortunately, I still cannot get the script to work. I think the script is okay, in and of itself so-to-speak, but just not quite what is needed here. OpenOffice looks for the libc files in the main /lib folder by default, and I suspect one or more of its (OpenOffice) existing files needs to be changed in order to point OpenOffice in the right direction... So far, I am unable to find such file(s) or related code.

I went to the Apache OpenOffice forums and found that indeed other users are having a problem with older libc files who want to run OpenOffice 3.4 --especially the Redhat folks. While I wasn't able to find the kind of answer to the problem here, I did find out that the Apache developers also compiled OpenOffice 3.4 for distros with glibc 2.5 -- i.e. older than glibc 2.11.1 the latter of which is a system requirement for the regular download of OpenOffice 3.4 --hope this isn't too confusing. So, it turns out that there is another easier solution for Wary Puppy users and OpenOffice 3.4 and I will post more about this in Mick's thread re: OpenOffice when I've had a chance to test this alternate version further.... hopefully, later today.

In the mean time, it would still be useful to resolve this issue of putting an upgraded glibc package in a safe location along with a working script to point where to load the necessary libc6 files...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

jamesbond

#29 Post by jamesbond »

Actually, there was this large elephant sitting in my eye but I can't see (that is, I gave your incomplete not working advice :oops: ) ... the script should have been this:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec soffice.bin "$@"
Note the "export" in blue colour :oops:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

01micko

#30 Post by 01micko »

Nah.. I'll take that one,triple :oops: :oops: :oops:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

darry1966

#31 Post by darry1966 »

on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.

darry1966

Glibc upgrade

#32 Post by darry1966 »

Whoops has stuffed up pmount but can still mount by clicking on desktop icon of usb drive. Back to the drawing board.

watchdog

#33 Post by watchdog »

darry1966 wrote:on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.
About locale I have solved in wary 5.5 putting at the end of /etc/profile

export LC_ALL=C

darry1966

Pmount and Glibc 2.11

#34 Post by darry1966 »

O.S. puppy linux 4.12.

Does anybody know why when installing Glibc 2.11 and 2.11 Glibc-bin that you can mount drives from the desktop. However mounting from Pmount proper (That is not clicking desktop icon - it dies??????).

Also is there a fix for this????????? anyone ???????

Dewbie

#35 Post by Dewbie »

(See amigo's warning earlier in this thread.)
With 4.1.2, Glibc 2.11 also causes usb-drive icons to pile up in the corner and breaks sGmixer.

However, the benefits still outweigh the costs...at least so far. 8)

darry1966

Post deleted

#36 Post by darry1966 »

Post deleted
Last edited by darry1966 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#37 Post by nic007 »

Hi, Darry. I'm interested to know why you are updating the libraries in Puppy 4.12? Is this to update the standard programs of puppy too? I'm also using my own puplet based on 4.12 but keep with some of the programs as released for that version (although I'm also using themes/icons from later puppy versions to brighten things up). Personally, I think it's not worthwhile to update the basic programs that comes with puppy to newer versions as I find that there are minimal differences in functionality. The newer releases of Abiword and Seamonkey are probably better but then I'm not using either of them. I use Opera and Opera Mini and wine to run may favourite windows programs that I feel are better than those provided with puppy). IF you want to use the latest versions of programs , it would probably be better to go with the latest release of puppy and perhaps one with a retro kernel.

darry1966

Reply to Nic007

#38 Post by darry1966 »

nic007 wrote:Hi, Darry. I'm interested to know why you are updating the libraries in Puppy 4.12? Is this to update the standard programs of puppy too? I'm also using my own puplet based on 4.12 but keep with some of the programs as released for that version (although I'm also using themes/icons from later puppy versions to brighten things up). Personally, I think it's not worthwhile to update the basic programs that comes with puppy to newer versions as I find that there are minimal differences in functionality. The newer releases of Abiword and Seamonkey are probably better but then I'm not using either of them. I use Opera and Opera Mini and wine to run may favourite windows programs that I feel are better than those provided with puppy). IF you want to use the latest versions of programs , it would probably be better to go with the latest release of puppy and perhaps one with a retro kernel.
1. 4.12 on my machine as a base uses less ram and is faster and reponsive.

2. I have updated Pmount to solve the glibc 2.11 update problem (Breaks Pmount) and yes I do agree there are older versions of programs I use which work just as well and as you say may be better an example my older version of Audacious which does everything the later ones do.

However there are programs which I want to run and keep my faster system which require some updated libraries so in other words have your cake and eat to and also some people like the pre-woof builds better on their old hardware or even newer hardware.

I also prefer the simplicity of the package manager from the 4.12 era I have far less problems with it.

So in short I wish to provide longevity to the 4.12/4.21 series as an alternative to Wary for older kit. If you wish to stick to older software then thats fine its all about choice and if any of my updates etc is adopted in later Puppies then so be it, but again my focus is legacy (Steam Computing) hardware.

Provide more programs for 4.12/4.21 such as a version of Audacious which actually runs well as I always had problems with versions in the forums.

Updates do bring improvements in some cases such as ffmpeg update and xine-lib from shinobar which allow better playback of video and probably more codecs.

As I have stated before I don't believe that Precise is the answer and I wish that T2 would work out for this purpose.
Last edited by darry1966 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

Reply to Dewbie

#39 Post by darry1966 »

Dewbie wrote:(See amigo's warning earlier in this thread.)
With 4.1.2, Glibc 2.11 also causes usb-drive icons to pile up in the corner and breaks sGmixer.

However, the benefits still outweigh the costs...at least so far. 8)
I haven't noticed the above odd behaviours as quoted. Tried SGMixer and it seems fine and icons also seem fine so I am at a loss as to that observation, but as you say more positive than negative with regards this upgrade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

darry1966

Heh Fellas try this to fix Pmount and locale problem

#40 Post by darry1966 »

watchdog wrote:
darry1966 wrote:on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.
About locale I have solved in wary 5.5 putting at the end of /etc/profile

export LC_ALL=C
Try placing the above before before the xwin line in /etc/profile.

Try with and without my new pmount
Attachments
Pmount.tar.gz
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 501 times