My idea of a lucid puppy remaster

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

My idea of a lucid puppy remaster

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Why? Lucid is probably the most solid and stable puppy out there, but is getting old. So why not update it?

What are your Ideas? Well I will: 1) Remove any kernel-related drivers, aufs2-utils, the old kernel. 2) Compile new kernel and recompile any removed drivers. 3) Add kernel and rivers into main sfs. 3) Update many built-in packages through already compiled packages on the forum. 4) Build new ISO.

rcrsn51

Re: My idea of a lucid puppy remaster

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

bark_bark_bark wrote:Well I will:
By all means, go ahead with this project. But here is a question that you should ask yourself - what makes Lupu solid and stable?

Once you start changing things, can you keep that stability?

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

One thing I do want to add is 3g/4g modem/dongle support. I would want help finding opensource drivers to support those devices.

ozsouth

option?

#4 Post by ozsouth »

My Lucid 528 runs a Huawei e1762 3g dongle fine after I run 'modprobe option'. You need isp-specific info like APN, pin, dial string, then use internet connection wizard.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

I've --on occasion-- connected with an older Pantech UM175. Only thing is it needs Windoze to activate the service (dang and blast Verizon for their Linux unfriendliness), but once it's activated, it's a small matter of plugging in a couple things and running PupDial.

Note that the activation issue is NOT my only problem with Verizon (by far) and I do not do not DO NOT EVER recommend them as an ISP -- but I'm stuck with them for now (it's a long and complicated story, please don't ask) so that's how it is.

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

James C might have info on this.

1. The new kernel might allow some newer hardware to run, but I built one with a 3.x kernel and had troubles on shutdown.

2. Some programs are already latest versions ;-) Updating programs might be a nightmare because system libraries would have to be updated.

3. I personally think energy put into testing Slacko and other newer Puppies would have better payoff.

mini-jaguar

#7 Post by mini-jaguar »

I don't find Lucid that stable or solid, but 3 Headed Dog is basically 5.2.8 but with the 5.3.1 kernel and much more stable.

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

WHAT!!!??? The linux kernel reached 5.3.1 :shock: . last time i checked the latest was 3.8-rc2 and I checked a minute ago.

I think you mean the kernel FROM Slacko 531. That version is also a bit old.

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

If you wanted to update lucid you would need to look at the kernel. Probably 2.6.32.60 (LTS, though not updated since October) would be a fair choice. Use the same .config from the original and add any new drivers from staging. Modem drivers could probably be compiled now too (softmodem). Search the forum for any additional stuff that's been done by tempestuous, locate the source and compile those too.

Not much point in going with a really new kernel as then a Xorg upgrade would be needed to work with all the new drm stuff, and probably a lot of underlying stuff that goes with it.. then you run the risk of incompatibility with lucid repos, in which case it's not lucid any more.

Good Luck!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#10 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: 1. The new kernel might allow some newer hardware to run, but I built one with a 3.x kernel and had troubles on shutdown.
That's an understatement. :) I probably did 8 or 10 Lucid builds with the 3.X kernels.........so many shutdown and other little problems that i just moved on.Newer 2.6 kernels worked pretty well though.

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

666philb

#12 Post by 666philb »

hi bark_bark_bark,

if you think about it, precise puppy is basically an updated lupu, newer kernel, newer glibc and access to newer packages. i'm finding in the precise PPM, a lot more stuff is working than in lucid, particularly python apps. and the PPM in general is vastly improved!

so rather than updating lucid , maybe add the user friendliness that playdaze (hi playdaze) added to lucid, by way of apps (pupsave hotbackup, wmswitcher, right click options as examples),and the various tweaks and settings that made lucid great.

next would be to add all the drivers that tempestuous made for lucid.

lastly, and the main complaint about precise that i hear on puppychat, is it's lack of .pets in it's own repo. so fill the precise repo with our favourite .pets.,

:D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Pelo

Lucid Puppy remaster

#13 Post by Pelo »

This distro Lucid now works quite perfectly on my computer Medion P7624. Alsa driver made it it speaking. This distro is fast, and packages are usable without having to change something.
For me, it should be the Ubuntu Puppy, and the only one, the last one.
Keep on improving it (no wireless connection with iwlagn)

Precise is a good distro, but repositories with depandancies are awful. We dont know how to make packages. And we dont want to know. Somebody has to make the work for us.

666philb

#14 Post by 666philb »

just use lucid if you like it, you don't have to use precise. but lucid is getting old now , so don't expect to get the latest and greatest apps running on it in the future :wink:

i personally love precise, and it has replaced my lucid installation of two years,
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Pelo

newest apps ?

#15 Post by Pelo »

newest apps ? well i shall wait and see. applications are dissapearing from unbuntu repositories. New ones will be welcome. Our compilers would enjoy that.
Happily QT is arriving..
Thanks phil trying things get forward. No always easy, but you go on !
Ubuntu is Windows like, now. Just the OS, buy the apps !