ArchPup 12.12.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stifiling

#161 Post by stifiling »

i found the solution to PacmanXG not running. and that is to remove the file /etc/localtime and symlink /etc/localtime to the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan

I'm guessing any timezone would work but not sure. so running the two commands:

rm /etc/localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan /etc/localtime

will fix the 203 error. u might want to look inside the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory....and try symlinking to your own timezone. I strongly doubt if it's working, just because it's 'Michigan'.

mavrothal

#162 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:i found the solution to PacmanXG not running. and that is to remove the file /etc/localtime and symlink /etc/localtime to the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan

rm /etc/localtime

will fix the 203 error. u might want to look inside the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory....and try symlinking to your own timezone. I strongly doubt if it's working, just because it's 'Michigan'.
You are absolutely right!
Actually the problem was the original /etc/localtime file
"file /etc/localtime" was showing " ASCII text" instead of "timezone data, version 2,...." that any timezone file will show.
Linking or copying any /usr/share/zoneinfo/Continent/City file to /etc/localtime makes PacmanGX behave.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#163 Post by simargl »

stifiling wrote:i found the solution to PacmanXG not running. and that is to remove the file /etc/localtime and symlink /etc/localtime to the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan

rm /etc/localtime

Thanks for this :D Really great discovery 8) .Now I will add PacmanXG and yaourt, and remove packer. For timezone settings, file /etc/localtime will be removed and /etc/profile will have TZ="CET". Everything works that way.

mavrothal

#164 Post by mavrothal »

simargl wrote: For timezone settings, file /etc/localtime will be removed and /etc/profile will have TZ="CET". Everything works that way.
You might want to reconsider.
/etc/localtime is used by some programs. It just can not be a normal file or a hard link. Must be a symlinc or the actual zone data file.
The way to pass the localtime info to profile is

Code: Select all

export TZ=:/etc/localtime
localtime also allows for easy timezone change through a GUI. The puppy "timezone-set-OLD" script for example works fine (assuming xdialog is installed).Quicksetup/timezone-set also work and someone could easily extract the timezone portion of the code for ArchPup (assuming the whole quicksetup is too much).
Then again, you can always edit the /etc/profile file.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

simargl

#165 Post by simargl »

I want to do things right way, so ok will follow your advice and this manual, http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual ... iable.html. archpup-doc has part about setting timezone, with example, so I think there's no need for a gui. Version 12.12.1 is ready, and will upload new iso tomorrow; archdev sfs is also changed, but archapps will stay the same.

minoshi

#166 Post by minoshi »

to stifiling :
Thank you very much!
I got bug report about this error, but could not fix by my self.
Good job!

to simargl:
Is there way to install archpup?

BTW: I developer of pacmanXG :)

simargl

#167 Post by simargl »

Thank you for pacmanXG, it's perfect, only 1.5MB but still very usefull. For installation guide follow this link
https://bitbucket.org/simargl/def-scrip ... stallation

oui

#168 Post by oui »

Hi simargl

I would recommend to prefer Grub2 (it is certainly possible to install its installer without pain in Arch and uninstall that installer after use :wink:, after grub2 itself is really installed on the HD - ArchPup would be one of the first, perhaps the first Puppy using Grub2 :lol: !) as Grub2 really can more and is more compatible with the future development of free Linux! Grub ist GNU (sorry, we have not enough GNU at Puppy, no free kernel, no Icecat! Only by me! I am using Icecat with Archpup :idea: ! I did see that in the past in in the puplet Insidious Pup! It was the Debian version of Icecat, Iceweasel. But just at this time I am always searching a way to shrink Icedtea and Gnash to make them really usable in Puppy or other small Linux, and make them really free Linux without any not free code!).

A good tutorial would need to describe
- the way to install the grub2 installer (on my PC, grub2 were preinstalled from Nutyx, the LFS-derivate automatic build!)
- the way to install grub with the grub installer
- the way to uninstall the installer after use (easy: restart without save file and without remastering :wink: ; forget it !)
- how to install a grub screen background to make ArchPup more beautiful than usual Puplets :wink:
- the info that Grub2 includes differently from Grub legacy a commando line interpreter and can also start without correct start script if some one knows how to do it :idea:
- the minimal startscript, it is /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the right partition where grub is actually really installed (as the most bad distributions, ubuntu included or better ubuntu as first, erase like wild bandits that, what precedent installations did install :idea:) needed to start ArchPup.

I did never start ArchPup from CD but always as usual in Puppy if using Grub2:
# Begin grub.cfg
# By default boot the first menu entry.
set default 0
set grub_gfx=auto
# Allow 5 seconds before booting the default.
set timeout 5
set color_highlight=blue/white
set color_normal=cyan/black
set gfxpayload=1024x768x16

menuentry "archpup (on /dev/sda5)" {
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /archpup/vmlinuz pdev1=sda5 psubdir=archpup
initrd /archpup/initrd.gz
}
(I have actually only 3 partitions:

sda1 = swap
sda2 = extended, and within sda5 ext4 (as ext4 chkdsk ist really a lot more fast if needed and ext4 is as compact as ext3. But you can't use very old Puppys, they are not compatible with ext4!)
sda5 = absolutely all my stuff :wink: !

so I am free to make more partitions (primaries as well as a lot of logical ones) on the fly if I need it (shrinking the back part of sda5/sda2! this need one of both CD start or start from out a little primary partition like a sda3 with label "boot" with a little puppy in it, as the nothing as to be mounted in the extended sda2 to shrink it!), but I don't need that any more...

actually, all is Puppy (or Windows 95, yes Windows 95, starting in qemu :wink: out sda5) eventually with wine (but rarely now as windows 95 can do a lot and is fast in Puppy with modern generation's processors. about as fast like native Windows 95 at the time of 8086 until i486 :wink:)!

bye

stifiling

Archpup DE+ Screenshots

#169 Post by stifiling »

I wanted the users to have a visual of 'some' of Archpup's capabilities:

Archpup w/KDE Desktop|yakuake dropdown terminal|dolphin

Archpup w/Mate Desktop|terminator|wicd

Archpup w/XFCE4 Desktop|pulseaudio|blueman

Archpup w/E17 Deskop|xbmc

Archpup w/LXDE Desktop|chromium

Archpup w/Awesome Window Manager

mavrothal

Re: Archpup DE+ Screenshots

#170 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:I wanted the users to have a visual of 'some' of Archpup's capabilities:
Very nice :D
Any sense how much faster/smaller/resource-frugal they are overall in ArchPup versus Arch linux?

stifiling

#171 Post by stifiling »

i jus scrapped my arch linux installation a cpl days ago. would've been able to give a more accurate comparison had i not done that.

but archpup is noticeably faster than arch linux. running and naturally using the same apps on both systems...
archpup ram = 200-250
arch linux = 300-350 (if i'm remembering right, that's abt correct or more)

at boot time with the same start up apps:
archpup cpu = 4/5%
arch linux = 8/9%

that's abt the best i can remember. this machine is a p4, 1g ram, 64mb video nvidia. so with those specs, the difference in speed is noticeable. more than just a little noticeable too.

stifiling

#172 Post by stifiling »

@mavrothal

I wanted to ask you too....that 2.6.35 kernel u're using...could i just pull it out of XOpup..and slam it into archpup and it works? or is it tweaked specifically for the targeted device?

mavrothal

#173 Post by mavrothal »

stifiling wrote:@mavrothal

I wanted to ask you too....that 2.6.35 kernel u're using...could i just pull it out of XOpup..and slam it into archpup and it works? or is it tweaked specifically for the targeted device?
No. Is only for the XO-1 and XO-1.5 laptops.
The latest official OLPC fedora version runs 3.3 but I find 2.6.35 way more mature for the hardware. Could not see any issues in userspace running the latest versions of Fedora, Ubuntu etc, either.
Makes you wander all this race for the latest...

Scooby

#174 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:I wanted the users to have a visual of 'some' of Archpup's capabilities:
How did you run for example xmbc?

Guess I have to try for me self but a hint would be nice.

*EDIT*
I just love the makesfs script. It is beautyful.

I tried Xfce - fine

Then I tried xbmc - fine to a point

I started it from .xinitrc but now I cannot revert back to original
When I powered off xbmc wouldnt start again

Is there a way to edit .xinitrc maybe during boot? how to stop autologin?
Or do I have to use squashtools?

Stifling when I study your picture of xbmc you seem to run it as an application, maybe this is better?
Last edited by Scooby on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.

Scooby

PAcmanXG

#175 Post by Scooby »

I still had to do update-ca-certificates and pacman -Syu in terminal
for pacmanxg to work.

Or have I missunderstood?

When downloading package and dependencies in pacmanxg window
I get a very garbled view, anyone else?

Many times to press "yes" when installing a package. I miss packer
Luckily it could be installed with pacmanXG :lol:

oui

#176 Post by oui »

hm

how to say it without to hurt you terribly, I don't know...

I did start the new version

I did adapt it as I work without any save file (I need a few quantity of links in /root for that)

I did show what is in it

I did prepare my /mnt/home/archpup/install directory

and rebuild the archpup-12.12.sfs (important: not archpup.sfs, not archpup-1212.sfs, not archpup-12.12-1 but archpup-12.12.sfs, why, I don't know...), my *.SFS is a little smaller,

and use it...

and return immediately after the first hour to the precedent version...

why?

I miss the "freshness" being in the 3thd precedent versions...

to much script working at your side

to much preparation's work at my side:

the distro become more complex, works probably better with special hardware but include the about same AND NEW formalism (that I did eliminate for me :idea: )...

I disconnect me from the new version and continue to use the version from before (as I did made a certain long way already with it). I don't will change.

my prognostic is: ArchPup will become bigger and bigger to simulate a complex complete Linux, a complete menu index.
as I did say, the freshness and transparency become away. the user has more to do as with a complete Puppy...

I am sorry, it is my opinion!

I daily use

- browser
- picture manipulation
- picture viewing from photo camera
- HTML editor
- Java / flash to contribute in OpenStreetMaps
- vi or cat > to my.txt << "EOF"
txt txt txt
EOF
- i find complete Nano and complete Geany (binded in the system functions, so I have to replace it with Beaver or Leafpad to don't to loose that functions. But I am not a system programmer any more... I understand that he can wish it to make it's job, although Christophe, the creator of Slitaz, did explain to have done all in nano, you can read that yourself in the doc of Slitaz 1, it is yet online... For a system programmer it is a easy thing to add Geany. For the average user, it is a crux to erase geany to save memory / file size without to loose functions...)
- PDF viewer
- scanner
- word processing and printer
- qemu
- sometimes wine as it is often more easy to bind a in /usr/bin not present application in wine than to install it in Linux because of dependences ... k-meleon starts immediately, no graphic library missing! starts...

an important part of that is slow to change after start in ArchPup and the help founded in the new iso are of cosmetic kind

the question is what we want!

- a conventional Puppy
- a smart and small Puppy
- a Puppy using obligatory a save file to work fast and comfortable
- a new Puppy needing no save file at all and starting fast and starting without tragic the SFS-file(s) on them it is based to have all needed figures really necessary for daily use!
- a new Puppy using already existing extensions as SFS
- or a new Puppy having a new among of adequate SFS's for it himself to view all things, to scan all things, to print out or show all things (it can be the future, but we don't have already that)

add Arch applications is a solution but archpup grows and grows more than other puppy because nobody did optimize in the background the packages before you add it and Arch do the same as Slitaz (initially only about 30 Mb since more than 5 years!): it installs all needed stuffs, or, certainly, more than usually included in Puppy packages, so that you can easily install more thant 2 Gb in Slitaz and probably more in Arch...

the pet2sfs from ArchPup is a good solutions, as the Puppy packages are often pre stripped, only that dependencies are often missed.

short conclusion:
it needs to much engagement from me by using it and to much time to operate with it.

rgds

Scooby

#177 Post by Scooby »

Ignore my previous post. Now I have messed up a number of savefiles.

stifling could you tell me how you got E17 with xbmc running?
I tried to download it into sfs with makesfs but couldnt get
the window manager to start.

Maybe I didnt execute the right command in .xinitrc?
I used

exec enlightenment17
Maybe you could say something about starting window managers in general?

*EDIT*
I got it to start with

exec enlightenment_start
great news no screen tearing here but also no sound

stifling did you get sound?

How did you get xbmc to run?

*EDITEDIT*
For some reason xbmc.sfs didnt work but when I installed fron repo it worked. However it took over my whole screen and I couldnt quit it

Still no sound

*EDITEDITEDIT*
Sound alsamixer master was turned down to nil
Last edited by Scooby on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

stifiling

#178 Post by stifiling »

@Scooby

I installed xbmc and e17 together inside a save file...after i saw it working i took the screenshot, didn't thoroughly test it...but I'll do that right now. BRB.

Scooby

#179 Post by Scooby »

stifiling wrote:@Scooby

I installed xbmc and e17 together inside a save file...after i saw it working i took the screenshot, didn't thoroughly test it...but I'll do that right now. BRB.
Have sound now! twas alsamixer

Thanks man. I'm not sure I like xbmc? hoewever I dont get
screentear in e17 so I will be pleased with it,

e17 is not really mature is it? a little buggy?

Do you know any other stable window manager using OpenGL?

*EDIT*

Nope still screen tearing :cry:

stifiling

#180 Post by stifiling »

Scooby wrote:Nope still screen tearing :cry:
the screen is tearing on videos? using intel video card? If that's the case it's always been that way for me as well on every linux i tried....except the last Arch Linux i was using. I was pretty suprised that there was something in it, that stopped it.