Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 08:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ArchPup 12.12.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 31 [461 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:47    Post subject:  

thank you! I will test it this evening!
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:50    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
PacmanGX4 32-bit works for me. Tried to get the 64-bit today but I got a "not found" error.

oh! is a ArchPup64-13nn in coming soon?
oui

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 06:56    Post subject:  

I don't know if it is the same on your PC but since I look at the «processors bar» on right on top of ArchPup, I see that this forum catch all the processor (old Celeron Embarassed ) power as soon as a forum editor window is open!

is that normal?
simargl

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 09:09    Post subject:  

There is problem with running applications as non-root user, and this is needed since some of them refuse to execute with root account like 0 A.D, vlc... And to illustrate this is output from terminal when I tried to run geany as user spot:
Quote:
[root@archpup ~]# su spot
sh-4.2$ geany

(geany:3737): Pango-WARNING **: error opening config file '/root/.config/pango/pangorc': Permission denied

sh-4.2$ whoami
spot
sh-4.2$ echo $HOME
/root/spot
sh-4.2$

So, geany refuses to start because it tries to save its settings in /root (and gets Permission denied) instead of /root/spot. Can someone test this example with different puppy linux version?
EDIT: Ignore this, it's fixed...

Last edited by simargl on Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:53; edited 2 times in total
mavrothal

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 09:30    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:
mavrothal, that version of pacmanxg u're using is older than the one currently in the AUR. would u mind posting that version for us...

Not sure how to do that but here is what I have in my system running http://www.datafilehost.com/download-389ed90f.html
md5sum: d28f821ffe75857939f729e2c63a8a92 (PacmanXG-4.13.10_beta.tar.gz)

Latter: Hmm, I run this on a 64bit Intel Duo2 machine and I get the same 203 error. On the 32bit VIA7 machine runs fine Confused
This is also the case for the latest 4.13.12-2 version.
Maybe notify the developer

simargl

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:06    Post subject:    

I made some changes to default user management in ArchPup, because user spot account wasn't working correctly and because I feel it might be wrong to have spot's home in /root folder. For new release ArchPup will have two user accounts: one is root with password toor, and other is arch with password arch, and his home directory will be /opt/home/arch. Just tested running geany and vlc as user arch - it's working.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 13:28    Post subject: ArchPup Almost at Break-out Point & Some ideas  

Hi simargl & all,
[quote="simargl"
In two or three days I will upload new and final update for this version, after that there will be no new versions for at least 3 months or more ( low user interest and I don't want to waste my time)]
Your efforts have not been a waste of time. You've accomplished something many of Puppites have desired for years, which other experienced devs were unable to do: obtain a working version of Pacman in Puppy's environment, easy usage of Archlinux's repos, and combine the strengths of both distros.
If, as yet, the ArchPup thread hasn't seen a deluge of questions by nooby converts, give thanks for small blessings. Puppy isn't Archlinux whose users know what they're doing. Most of us are immigrants from Windows, where the most complex action we had to master was clicking a setup_exe and figuring out how to access "remove applications." Freedom is a difficult condition to adjust to. In '56, some of my relatives escaped from then Soviet Hungary. My mother and aunt worked with a refugee organization and, as they were relatives, my entire family did what we could to help them "settle in." But they still complained that no one was telling them how to live their lives. It took me two years before I could marshal the courage to do something beyond burning the official Puppy to a CD and running it "as is": to realize that, unlike Windows, even if I broke something, it would take less than a day of reinstalling from scratch to recover.
ArchPup has attracted the interests of those with knowledge and experience such as Qui, stifling, and mavrothal, James C and jrb. They are already providing such feedback and applications as may be necessary to bridge the gap between Archlinux and Puppy. I participated in some small way in the developments of gposil's dpup, Exprimo precurser--Guydog, and Saluki: as jemimah's guinea pig in her development of builder. I've also seen some promising efforts fall by the wayside. I've been around long enough to know that in creating a Puppy fit for daily use with a large following the transition from concept to accomplishment takes time and dedication by the Dev, but especially assistance of a few others having similar interests capable of sharing the effort to overcome hurdles and providing the knowledge that dev is not on a wild goose chase. Too many voices --especially by those who expect an "alpha" release to be ready for prime time-- only detract from solving basic problems of structure and organization. Once those basic problems are overcome --once a Puppy is sort-of-easy to use-- Fans: "if you build it, they will come." My experience tells me that ArchPup is almost at its Break-out point.
I'm sorry that I can't help more. I'm at the age where learning new techniques takes time and interest. Although I am a fan of Puppy, it is not my primary interest. I just don't have the desire to spend the time necessary to obtain a firm grasp, a clear vision, of the "core" applications necessary for a distribution to work at all: of what those applications do, how those applications inter-relate, and how they fit (or can fit) into Linux's structure. But perhaps as a not-entirely-naive user I can provide some ideas that may help to bridge the gap between concept and final.
Pets are not ArchLinux's native packages. Mavrothal has generously provided a method for ArchPup to make use of them. But on another thread I queried whether installing a pet into ArchPup might defeat PacMan's ability to keep track of installed components. Perhaps that's not a problem. But if it is, there may be a fairly easy solution. A pet is only a gz file with an installation script. Similar to such Puppy Applications as dir2sfs, pet-combiner, and sfs-converter, an application to covert pets to ArchPup's native format could be developed. In developing it, it might be useful to examine the subroutine used in Saluki and Carolina Builder which examines whether libs and other dependencies are already present. [Optional: add a check-off box to de-select those that are.]
At this point, a short "How To Guide --step by step" could encourage those interested to take the plunge into what, for many of us, still appears to be dark and mysterious waters.

mikesLr
peebee

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 19:38    Post subject: Pwireless2 working with add-ons  

I've managed to get Pwireless2 working to set up a WPA wifi connection with my b43 wifi....

What I needed to do was:

1. put the b43 firmware into /lib/firmware (the b43 firmware is not included in the firmware sfs but you can copy it from another puppy)

2. install the attached additions (Xdialog, gtkdialog-splash, yaf-splash, ipinfo) - extract the directory and then copy the contents with
Code:
cp -aR pwireless2-addons/* /

3. add the following lines to .start:
Code:
modprobe b43
sleep 5s
/etc/init.d/Pwireless2_service

The last bit could maybe be done better if there is a way to ensure that b43 is loaded before the /etc/init.d files are run - in a conventional Puppy I would use the BootManager but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for ArchPup.

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee
pwireless2-addons.tar.gz
Description  Adds Xdialog, gtkdialog-splash, yaf-splash, ipinfo
gz

Download 
Filename  pwireless2-addons.tar.gz 
Filesize  34.91 KB 
Downloaded  155 Time(s) 

stifiling

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 21:39    Post subject: Re: Pwireless2 working with add-ons  

peebee wrote:
The last bit could maybe be done better if there is a way to ensure that b43 is loaded before the /etc/init.d files are run - in a conventional Puppy I would use the BootManager but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for ArchPup.

i was doing it that exact same way...but the equivalent of the way it's done in traditional puppy is by editing the file /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG and adding the module to the line ADDLIST='b43'
stifiling

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 21:46    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Latter: Hmm, I run this on a 64bit Intel Duo2 machine and I get the same 203 error. On the 32bit VIA7 machine runs fine Confused

i was getting the 203 error on Archpup 1204 and all of a sudden it just went away. i don't know what i installed. but pacmanxg is working on my 1204. it wasn't at first, and it's not on my 1212. so i'm thinking it's gotta be something different than the processor.
stifiling

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan 2013, 23:48    Post subject:  

i found the solution to PacmanXG not running. and that is to remove the file /etc/localtime and symlink /etc/localtime to the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan

I'm guessing any timezone would work but not sure. so running the two commands:

rm /etc/localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan /etc/localtime

will fix the 203 error. u might want to look inside the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory....and try symlinking to your own timezone. I strongly doubt if it's working, just because it's 'Michigan'.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2013, 01:46    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:
i found the solution to PacmanXG not running. and that is to remove the file /etc/localtime and symlink /etc/localtime to the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Michigan

rm /etc/localtime

will fix the 203 error. u might want to look inside the /usr/share/zoneinfo directory....and try symlinking to your own timezone. I strongly doubt if it's working, just because it's 'Michigan'.

You are absolutely right!
Actually the problem was the original /etc/localtime file
"file /etc/localtime" was showing " ASCII text" instead of "timezone data, version 2,...." that any timezone file will show.
Linking or copying any /usr/share/zoneinfo/Continent/City file to /etc/localtime makes PacmanGX behave.

simargl

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2013, 05:18    Post subject:  

stifiling wrote:

rm /etc/localtime

Thanks for this Very Happy Really great discovery Cool .Now I will add PacmanXG and yaourt, and remove packer. For timezone settings, file /etc/localtime will be removed and /etc/profile will have TZ="CET". Everything works that way.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:09    Post subject:  

simargl wrote:
For timezone settings, file /etc/localtime will be removed and /etc/profile will have TZ="CET". Everything works that way.

You might want to reconsider.
/etc/localtime is used by some programs. It just can not be a normal file or a hard link. Must be a symlinc or the actual zone data file.
The way to pass the localtime info to profile is
Code:
export TZ=:/etc/localtime

localtime also allows for easy timezone change through a GUI. The puppy "timezone-set-OLD" script for example works fine (assuming xdialog is installed).Quicksetup/timezone-set also work and someone could easily extract the timezone portion of the code for ArchPup (assuming the whole quicksetup is too much).
Then again, you can always edit the /etc/profile file.

simargl

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:47    Post subject:  

I want to do things right way, so ok will follow your advice and this manual, http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html. archpup-doc has part about setting timezone, with example, so I think there's no need for a gui. Version 12.12.1 is ready, and will upload new iso tomorrow; archdev sfs is also changed, but archapps will stay the same.
Page 11 of 31 [461 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 29, 30, 31 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: