mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
willemoes

#101 Post by willemoes »

jrling wrote:Upsampling is included. 0.9.2 had Secret Rabbit Code built in and configurable in the audio-output section and Idolese has now included SOX upsampling in 0.9.3 with multiple audio-outputs for each SOX setting.

I find both excellent enhancements to 44.1/16 files, which is all I have.
Is there a way to choose between Secret Rabbit Code and SOX for upsampling (like in Cmp2, where some preferred SRC due to a more "analogue" sound)?

Found this as a way to verify souncards output sample rate, if you don´t have a dac that shows (might need adjustment to actual config):

# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

and a continous update (haven´t yet checked the use of "watch)

# watch -n 1 'cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params'

Regards, Finn

ldolse

#102 Post by ldolse »

willemoes wrote:Is there a way to choose between Secret Rabbit Code and SOX for upsampling (like in Cmp2, where some preferred SRC due to a more "analogue" sound)?
There's no way to do this through the setup wizards, but if you want to test Secret Rabbit Code it's just a matter of hand-editing mpd.conf to enable it for a sound output. I suppose I can add a configuration option for it in the wizard, but you're the first person that's expressed interest in it, so it hasn't been a priority.

I don't have my system with me to test, but I'm not sure if those sample rate commands work on mpdPup - some of the kernel level debug/info code is disabled on the kernel I'm using, so a lot of that advanced info isn't available. While it would be nice to have, I also wonder if the fact that it's disabled contributes positively to the overall sound signature, less being more and all that...

luisb

#103 Post by luisb »

Hi Idolse
usbnrpacks=20 doesnt work anymore, always stays on 8 verified with cat command. I tried to find the file in init.d with no sucess. Using previous 00.usbnrpakcs (old topic) works. Any news for the suport of adicional usb storage devices? I'm reading about symlinks, not easy for a newbie but i will persist.
Thanks for your fantastic job

willemoes

#104 Post by willemoes »

ldolse wrote:There's no way to do this through the setup wizards, but if you want to test Secret Rabbit Code it's just a matter of hand-editing mpd.conf to enable it for a sound output.
Editing mpd.conf is fine with me; libsamplerate working fine..

SOX, however, is causing a "connection refused" error (I´m using ncmpcpp)
-regardless of chosen samplerate (tried 88,2/96 and 176,4 Khz).

Soundcard is HT Omega Claro Pci (C-media CMI-8788)

ldolse

#105 Post by ldolse »

@luisb, nrpacks is something I'm aware of, working on some fixes for the not too distant future. I haven't looked into trying to support multiple drives through some sort of symlinking. To be honest I've just never considered it a particularly ideal design and hoped users could get a larger hard disk or a NAS. However a simple dialog for creating symlinks into mpd's music directory isn't completely undoable. That said, mounting the disks is still an issue which adds complexity to the solution. How are you mounting all these disks - did you edit fstab yourself?

@willemoes, glad you got SRC working - regarding Sox, sounds like you neglected to disable the default output before enabling a Sox output - depending on the hardware this can do a variety of bad things, you have to be diligent about disabling the default output before enabling a Sox output. This is because the underlying hardware is the same and if both are enabled conflicts will ensue. MPD doesn't have any features to protect a user from themselves in this case.

Once you get them both working let us know what you think of the difference.

jrling

#106 Post by jrling »

ldolse wrote:
@willemoes, glad you got SRC working - regarding Sox, sounds like you neglected to disable the default output before enabling a Sox output - depending on the hardware this can do a variety of bad things, you have to be diligent about disabling the default output before enabling a Sox output. This is because the underlying hardware is the same and if both are enabled conflicts will ensue. MPD doesn't have any features to protect a user from themselves in this case.

Once you get them both working let us know what you think of the difference.
I run mpdPup on an Intel Dual Core 1.66 GHz Atom D510 mobo with 4GB RAM.

I have now had a chance to compare SRC/SOX on that PC. I run SRC at 'Highest' quality level (0)

SOX at 176,400 was unable to run without stuttering whereas SRC at 176,400 runs fine. I have to conclude that SOX is more CPU intensive.
At 88,200 both ran fine. There was very little in it for SQ, but in the end, I prefer SRC as being more 'natural'. Both IMHO though enhance 44.1/16 CD usefully, especially at the top end.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

luisb

#107 Post by luisb »

Yes Idolse, thats an issue to. I began to try to automount the card reader with the following line on fstab :
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1 auto defaults
also tryed vfat (card is in vfat) instead of auto and it doesnt mount.

But if i add to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local the following lines:

mkdir /mnt/mmcblk0p1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1

It works for the card reader, if i add the line

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/sdc1

it doesnt mount the usb drive. Really i am trying to make the card reader working for now.

luisb

#108 Post by luisb »

Sorry, replace mount/dev/ sda for mount/dev/mmcblk0p1.

boulogne75

#109 Post by boulogne75 »

Hi,
I am starting to try mpdPup and it looks very promising, congratulations!!!
I have one suggestion and two questions.

CIFS should use a credential file to store the username and password (chmod 700 it) and uses the credentials option to mount the share. It's more secure and a wider password range will be allowed. Actually you can't use passwords with ',' (coma) characters because it is the options delimiter in fstab. I think this point should be really easy to implement.

Now, the questions...
Is there any way to change/redetect/swap audio interfaces without reinstalling or using CLI to load module and modify alsa/mpd config files? I'll be swapping Young DAC and Hiface2 but can't figure out how to "magically" make it work.
Any plan on NFS support?

Thanks and keep up the good work!!!

boulogne75

#110 Post by boulogne75 »

I've seen discussions about several tweaks. I don't know if the package exists for Puppy: rtirq-init (name in Debian). It can address a few of these tweaks (irq threading, priorities...) and you can achieve pretty good defaults/balance for USB Dacs and PCI Cards. An option to activate it in the wizzard would be possible as it is an init script that can be enabled/disabled in a config file.
It takes advantage of irqthreads/realtime enabled kernels. I am actually at work and cannot check if this is the case of mpdPup.

ldolse

#111 Post by ldolse »

Apologies for the delayed replies. @luisb, handling USB drives in that manner is on my to-do list, it's just quite a ways down - I'll get there eventually.

@ boulogne75, thanks for downloading and trying things out. If you have more documentation on how to store the CIFS user/pass in a credential file I'd appreciate any links you have. Increasing security isn't a major concern, but having more password flexibility would be good.

Unfortunately I don't know of any way to automagically swap interfaces. You could do this yourself with a hotplug script - basically the hotplug action would swap between diferent mpd.conf files for the different cards (or possibly edit in-place), then re-start MPD. I don't see it as something I could easily bundle into the wizards though, as the actions would be a little bit different depending on the model of the card.

NFS support hasn't been high on my priority list - I did give it a shot at one point, but didn't have much luck with it. I might give it another shot now that I have a new NAS which supports it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks for the info on rtirq-init, I'll do some more reading on that.

luisb

#112 Post by luisb »

Idolse, i just solved the network problems i had with my server so USB drive will not be in my concerns anymore. I will stay with the configuration mpdpup was designed for. A great listening pleasure it gives.
Regards

boulogne75

#113 Post by boulogne75 »

@ldolse
It's pretty straightforward:
As root:
- Create an /etc/samba/credentials file
Add username=xxxx
Add password=xxxx
- chmod 700 /etc/samba/credentials
Now only root user can read/modify/execute the file
- Mount the share in fstab
//server/sharename /mnt/musicfolder cifs credentials=/etc/samba/credentials,other,options 0 0

http://anothersysadmin.wordpress.com/20 ... tial-file/

If you don't know it, you can take a look at AutoFS:
http://www.autofs.org/
It allows to easily automount any kind of filesystem (usb, cifs, nfs...), choose the mount point, pass mount options, and automatically unmount after an idle time...

Regards.

jrling

#114 Post by jrling »

Hi ldolse

In a thread over at AudioAsylum - http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f ... o&m=117722

A guy is promoting a number of low level tweaks to Linux audio and has suggested some for mpdPup. He suggested they were posted to our forum and so I am doing so -

Here are some more settings to add into the mpdstart.sh file

chmod 666 /sys/module/ehci_hcd/parameters/log2_irq_thresh
echo 6 > /sys/module/ehci_hcd/parameters/log2_irq_thresh
chmod 666 /sys/module/ehci_hcd/parameters/park
echo 3 > /sys/module/ehci_hcd/parameters/park
echo 999999999 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbhid/module/parameters/mousepoll

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
echo 40 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
echo 5000 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
echo 2048 > /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
echo 65535 > /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax
echo 65535 > /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb
echo 40960 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
echo 50 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_app_win
echo "1000 1024000 512 2048" > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
echo 268435456 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

There followed some debate on some of the values he has used. I see they include 'swappiness' which we know does not apply to mpdPup running entirely in RAM.

I would be interested to hear if any of his suggestions would be able to be run in mpdPup and/or whether what you have done would conflict with his suggestions.

Many thanks

ldolse

#115 Post by ldolse »

@boulogne75, thanks for the extra info - I'll see about implementing this for the next version.

@jrling, I just saw that thread on all those tweaks - lots of good stuff there to add to the wizard. Can you point out documentation for any of these items that weren't previously discussed? I'd like to be able to document the purpose for each one, I'm not inclined to implement tweaks I can't explain.

jrling

#116 Post by jrling »

I am afraid not. I just saw them and passed them on. The poster gave no explanations, but is obviously well informed. If you want, I will ask him for explanations but I cannot of course guarantee that he will reply.

Before I do so, for reasons of not wanting to waste his time, are you able to confirm which ones will work in mpdPup conceptually and which ones will not with the kernel that you use? We know for example swappiness is not applicable.

Have you had any chance to look at the rt-irq tweaks that Dynobot and boulogne75 have suggested?

It looks like we are building a number of tweaks which some may want to try and others not. I was wondering whether a new '0.9.3 Tweaks' thread might be helpful, as some readers may not want to get involved in tweaking?

ldolse

#117 Post by ldolse »

I think it's ok to keep the tweaks in this thread. I'm not sure which ones don't apply. As you noted swappiness shouldn't matter.
  • /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure probably doesn't matter either as it sounds like it's also related to swap files.
  • /sys/module/ehci_hcd/* - quite possibly relevant, more info would be good
  • mousepoll - not sure if it's relevant when no mouse is attached, and not sure what it will do to X with that large a number defined when a user does want to use a mouse.
  • /proc/sys/vm/dirty_* - not sure how relevant it is when the filesystem is always in memory, but it's possible that it would reduce 1's and 0's being shuffled around for no reason.
  • /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_app_win - setting this to zero seems to tell the kernel not to reserve memory for TCP activity - I'm not sure how this would be a good thing, so definitely need more background on this one, since TCP gets used heavily by anyone with a network share.
  • /proc/sys/kernel/* - some of the suggested numbers seem quite large, definitely would want some background on the logic and what the impact on memory is along with audio, but I can imagine that changing some of these could have a positive impact. Most of these settings only show up in Google searches related to relational database tuning. I'm not saying they won't make a difference in MPD's performance, but a relational database and MPD are very different beasts.
Also note many of the other tweaks that I've implemented were validated by multiple users in these or other forums using mpdPup before I implemented them. Would be great to see more users chime in and indicate that their independent testing also saw an improvement. Basically more votes of confidence will give a given tweak priority. Most of these most recent suggestions can easily be tried by anyone - there aren't any additional binaries required like there are for some of the other tweaks.

I haven't had a chance to do a lot of work with a variety of the tweaks discussed over the last page or so aside from investigating which packages I will need to include in the next release - been travelling over the holidays so development has been slow.

jrling

#118 Post by jrling »

Thanks for the feedback.

Now that they are posted on this forum, I am sure that we will get feedback if no extra binaries are required.

Will post your reply comments back to the AA correspondent.

Cheers

Dynobot

#119 Post by Dynobot »

Hi ldolse

I looked into those settings posted on another forum. Perhaps some are on the right path BUT and a HUGE BUT...his numbers are extremely faulty. He got the numbers purely out of the air or out of his...well. Anyways I would not use any of them and even though some of the kernel tweaking can be done with proper numbers MPDPup is already at optimal. I spent some time and looked up the proper usage for each of those and how/why each value is used. I applied 'proper' values based on what Linux calls for, yes if you change the numbers the sound will change but each value is already at the optimal setting for Puppy Linux. I would caution plugging in random values like he does.

jrling

#120 Post by jrling »

Dynobot wrote:Hi ldolse

I looked into those settings posted on another forum. Perhaps some are on the right path BUT and a HUGE BUT...his numbers are extremely faulty. He got the numbers purely out of the air or out of his...well. Anyways I would not use any of them and even though some of the kernel tweaking can be done with proper numbers MPDPup is already at optimal. I spent some time and looked up the proper usage for each of those and how/why each value is used. I applied 'proper' values based on what Linux calls for, yes if you change the numbers the sound will change but each value is already at the optimal setting for Puppy Linux. I would caution plugging in random values like he does.
I had arrived at the same conclusion.

Having said that, there are one or two of his suggestions that I might try. For instance I run mpdPup headless and no networking for music, so the mouse polling and TCP 'turning off' ones might have some merit. Worth a try anyhow.

Do you credit his ehci suggestions as being worthy?

My Tranquil PC T2E has four USB ports on the rear panel (I have disabled the onboard USB header in the BIOS) and I only use one for my WaveIO USB/S/PDIF converter. So I wondered if I could turn off all but one USB port in Linux?

Finally, you made a sweeping statement (!) - and even though some of the kernel tweaking can be done with proper numbers MPDPup is already at optimal Could I gently question that? I am not suggesting that you are wrong, but I suspect that Puppy Linux kernel on which mpdPup is based is certainly not aimed at audiophiles and unless those settings have been modified before mpdPup release, they might not be optimal. But of course with all the variables of individual hardware set-ups, there is probably no such thing as optimal.

Regards