pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
starhawk

#161 Post by starhawk »

I'm the "someone else" you mention, maddox ;)

Your problem is that you're running Xvesa already -- on something that isn't quite compatible. There is a minimal-Xorg pet in this thread, which is what you need to use. Install it from the CLI (ctrl+alt+bksp BEFORE you try to install using pkginstall.sh) or it'll bungle things up quite severely...

goingnuts

#162 Post by goingnuts »

Ibidem: I will look into it - thanks!

maddox: Thanks for reporting and testing! I haven't spend too much time with the ROX-mime-config-actions but glad to hear that xhippo works. I have attached the dot.config used to build the kernel - and yes - nls_cp437 is build in...
The kernel was build from the official patched kernel-sources for P412 (linux-2.6.25.16-src-patched_squashfs_unionfs_aufs_lzma_mt.tar.gz) but with additional patches (cant be specific as my notes are gone so if needed I will have to reconstruct how to build it).

starhawk: I cant remember...but did you test the Xfbdev?

Wondering if any of the additional Xvesa flags would help on the pink colours - the -swaprgb switch seems worth to try? From the Xvesa man:
NAME
Xvesa - VESA Bios Extensions tiny X server

SYNOPSIS
Xvesa [:display] [option...]

DESCRIPTION
Xvesa is a generic X server for Linux on the x86 platform. Xvesa doesn't know about any particular hardware, and sets the video mode by running the video BIOS in VM86 mode. Xvesa can use both standard VGA BIOS modes and any modes advertised by a VESA BIOS if available. Xvesa runs untrusted code with full privileges, and is therefore a fairly insecure X server. Run at your own risk.

OPTIONS
In addition to the normal KDrive server's options (see Xkdrive(1)), Xvesa accepts the following command line switches: -mode n specifies the VESA video mode to use. If mode n is not supported by your BIOS and hardware, Xvesa will fail, hang your system, or cause your monitor to explode; you are on your own. This option overrides any -screen options.

-listmodes
list all supported video modes. If -force was specified before -listmodes, lists all the modes that your BIOS claims to support, even those that the Xvesa server won't be able to use.

-force
disable some sanity checks and use the specified mode even if the BIOS claims not to support it.

-shadow
use a shadow framebuffer even if it is not strictly necessary. This may dramatically improve performance on some hardware.

-nolinear
don't use a linear framebuffer even if one is available. You don't want to use this option.

-swaprgb
pass RGB values in the order that works on broken BIOSes. Use this if the colours are wrong in PseudoColor and 16 colour modes.

-verbose
emit diagnostic messages during BIOS initialization and tear down.

starhawk

#163 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts, I'll be honest, I don't remember either. I want to say that Xfbdev didn't work for me... but I can't recall.

Just curious, how did you lose your notes?

@maddox: even if Xfbdev didn't work for me, you should try it -- we have different machines. Mine is/was (currently on vacation from tinkering) a Dell Latitude CPi that's slower than yours. I don't know what graphics you have on your Acer, but the CPi has a NeoMagic card of some sort.

goingnuts

#164 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:goingnuts, I'll be honest, I don't remember either. I want to say that Xfbdev didn't work for me... but I can't recall.
Just curious, how did you lose your notes?
OK thanks - would be nice to know if its the pupngo Xvesa-build that is the problem or if its the Xvesa in general...
The notes was lost after a crashed savefile. Now and then I manage to crash the main savefile - I got the patched kernelsource alright but no notes from that period.
Ever tried to run a script containing "rm -rf /$SOME_UNSET_VARIABLE"? Do not!
Edit: After looking at my source-collection from that time I can see that at least I patched the kernel with aufs-0+20080719 - and as far as I can see it might be the only additional patch applied.

starhawk

#165 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts -- very n00bish question here, BUT...

I thought that the savefile could sort of fix itself? I'm told that one can mount an unbootable ("corrupt") savefile while running from RAM, copy over everything that needs saving, and then unmount/overwrite the old (broken) savefile with a new one that works, without losing a thing.

...or am I mistaken?

Ibidem

#166 Post by Ibidem »

starhawk wrote: I thought that the savefile could sort of fix itself? I'm told that one can mount an unbootable ("corrupt") savefile while running from RAM, copy over everything that needs saving, and then unmount/overwrite the old (broken) savefile with a new one that works, without losing a thing.

...or am I mistaken?
All depends on what the problem is.
If you crash it the way goingnuts did, you're lucky if anything's left.

greengeek

#167 Post by greengeek »

- goingnuts:I am tinkering with the xorg pet on different machines and tried manually grafting it into the filesystem (no real success yet) and have a couple of questions:
1) When I use the pupngo pet installer the xorg pet works properly, even though the X11 folder within the pet is labelled x11r7 (lower case). However, after the installer does it's work the files are in the X11R7 folder. How does this happen? I see no pinstall file to guide it?
2) After the installer has run, the libs from the pet are in their expected places, but there are also symlinks ponting to the new libs. How did those symlinks get there? How does "it" know how to name those symlinks correctly? Again I see no pinstall file to guide things. I do see a petspecs file but it does not give me any clues.
??

goingnuts

#168 Post by goingnuts »

My best guess is that your extract of the pet file is "buggy"...The pet contains the symlinks - and the X11R7 is with capital letters...

greengeek

#169 Post by greengeek »

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. In order to extract the pet files I am changing the suffix to tar.gz and clicking on it, and I can see all of the symlinks listed there in the archiver, but when I extract the files none of the symlinks get extracted. I notice a | in front of the permissions list for each of the symlinks, but all the other files just have a -
Seems as if i am needing to change my system permissions somehow in order to be permitted to extract those symlinks?? or maybe use a cli command and some special arg to extract all??

EDIT: google tells me the first letter | is actually an "ell" and means the file type is "link", so not significant in terms of my problem I guess.

EDIT again: Turns out I needed to do the extraction within the /root folder. Not on another partition. Not sure why. All good now.
Attachments
symlink permissions.png
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 957 times

goingnuts

#170 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek - nice you made it work.

I am still uncertain if the "pink"-screen on some reported hardware is due to pupngo Xvesa or Xvesa in general. I have cut out a Xvesa from micropuppy which could be an option to test. Also included the programs xcompmgr and transset witch works with the micromuppy Xvesa and gives window-shadows, fade-in/out and transparent windows - view attached image. Its quite cool actually - wonder which Xvesa version is used and how it was configured...Download Xvesa_micromuppy.

greengeek

#171 Post by greengeek »

Very nice. How easy is it to modify conky colours so that it is visible against a dark background? Is that possible?

goingnuts

#172 Post by goingnuts »

Most conky settings are done in /root/.conkyrc. Most settings are well commented. Try "xcompmgr -f &" for some cool fading of windows - should work with xorg as well.

technosaurus

#173 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts wrote:greengeek - nice you made it work.

I am still uncertain if the "pink"-screen on some reported hardware is due to pupngo Xvesa or Xvesa in general. I have cut out a Xvesa from micropuppy which could be an option to test. Also included the programs xcompmgr and transset witch works with the micromuppy Xvesa and gives window-shadows, fade-in/out and transparent windows - view attached image. Its quite cool actually - wonder which Xvesa version is used and how it was configured...Download Xvesa_micromuppy.
It is an error in Xvesa and I did stumble on a patch for it once but I was on my droid and haven't come across it again, but I bet it is in dix (btw dix stands for display/driver independent X and ddx is display/driver dependent X) ... IIRC it was something in RBG instead of RGB or something like that for some of the lower res display modes
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#174 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks that is good to know. Might be the time for revising the tinyX-server source and build-config....

greengeek

#175 Post by greengeek »

I finally got the hang of remastering and have posted a topic where I plan to make available various tailored versions of pupngo.

First version is just the basic pupngo2012 with the sns retro pet added.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 415#675415

EDITI have now added a version of pupngo2012 with xorg and Freeoffice installed. Out of the pupngo spirit really because its pretty big, but hey, it lets me do all my typing/pdf creation on a pupngo install and runs like lightning so why not?

goingnuts

#176 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Thats what pUPnGo is all about - a building block to build upon. Nice work!

goingnuts

#177 Post by goingnuts »

New build uploaded with fix for severe bug found by Jan99: Cryptosave was not working as I have used losetup from util-linux-2.11z which does not support -f switch. Unfortunately this is placed in initrd so only fix has been to ship a new iso.

Jan99

pUPnGO 2012

#178 Post by Jan99 »

Hello goingnuts,

Thank you very much for correcting the Cryptosave.
That works perfect now.

Only thing direct crypto mount does not work, can that be corrected to??

Example:
# mount -o encryption=aes pup_save_crypta-winterm.2fs ~/cmnt
Unsupported encryption type aes

If not could you please share how to do it in a a script?

Example how i can load my save file (I have other files with prive data) :
# losetup -f
/dev/loop1
# losetup -e aes /dev/loop1 pup_save_crypta-winterm.2fs
Password:
# mount /dev/loop1 ~/cmnt

And another script to free the loop device after use.

Thanks jan99.

goingnuts

#179 Post by goingnuts »

I am not an expert in this but the way the init in initrd does the thing is:
read -s MYPASS #and then enter your password

echo "$MYPASS" | losetup -p 0 -e aes /dev/loop1 /mnt/dev_save$PUPSAVEFILE
#after that mount the /dev/loop1 where you want it
This works in pupngo for a heavy encrypted savefile.
Please note that in pupngo losetup is same as losetup-FULL - in other Puppy versions losetup is a symlink to busybox and losetup-FULL is ...the full losetup. The busybox version is present but you need to call it by "busybox losetup"...

maddox

#180 Post by maddox »

live-cd running now, tried playing an mp3 song :
minimp3 /mnt/data/Small-mem-card/Music/Can I go now.mp3
Error: cannot open `/mnt/data/Small-mem-card/Music/Can'!
file name with spaces gives an error (truncated), there was a small puppy tool for this situation ' -_' (space,hyphen,underline)
minimp3 /mnt/data/Small-mem-card/Music/'Can I go now.mp3' #file name quoted
song played
xhippo can handle file names with spaces.

beaver doesn't like ctrl+c/ctrl+v method, ctrl+v closes previous opened window
.. could this be a jwm shortcut problem ?
high-lighting and mouse middle click paste method works between rxvt/beaver/beaver/rxvt
not between beaver/dillo save file then open in dillo. a bit complicated

@ starhawk my acer 508t also has a magicGraph128XD 2MB card (aka neomagic)
googled it : very poor results with Xvesa (nil), slightly better with Xfbdev, better with fb and best with Xorg
needs some $magic to get it working under Xvesa with linux, tried but never completly implemented.
searched the forum with keyword Xfbdev : 29 results, interesting reading (blacklisted with Xvesa /funny colors)

saw you've just uploaded a new iso will also test that one ;)