Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#201 Post by jamesbond »

Barbol wrote:Hi! I'm having difficulties when mounting linux partitions in fatdog. I have a disk with many partitions, some of them containing another OS. Everytime I mount one of them, fatdog changes the permissions of the root directory in that partition to 770. It makes me broke two ubuntu based systems until I realize what was happening. Fortunately, once discovered the cause, the solution was easy, just restoring the permissions. Now I'm doing a chmod before unmounting, but that's not comfortable.. What could be happening and how is it fixable?
Edit /etc/eventmanager and use the right ACCESS_MODE and UMASK_MODE. UMASK_MODE is just 777 xorg ACCESS_MODE (or simply put, UMASK_MODE + ACCESS_MODE must be equal to 777).
There is a GUI for this using Fatdog Event Manager from Control Panel, but it only allows you to choose between two values: 770 and 750. On another note, Fatdog also chgrp the mountpoint to the current user's group. If you really really don't like this and want to disable this, edit /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh but then you're on your own.
Another annoying thing occurs when running gparted. It tooks the drive icons, passes through a blender and throw them in aleatory order on the desktop. Never noticed that behavior by gparted before..
Fatdog uses udev directly for drive icons. Whenever gparted runs, it reads the drive in a such a way that forces the kernel to re-read the partition table (=not surprising for a partition table editor...), and thus kernel will issue udev "change" event. Fatdog responds to this change event by re-drawing the icons; unfortunately there is no way to ensure that the events are received in any particular order. Other puppies don't have this issue because they don't use udev directly, they use a daemon (pup_event_frontend) to poll for changes instead.
Great 2013 evereyone!!! Barbol
Indeed :)
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mini-jaguar

#202 Post by mini-jaguar »

1. I am afraid there is a bug. I noticed it in 6.1.0 too, but now I'm sure something's not working right. When shutting down, it gets stuck on the "Spin down disks ..." line and doesn't shut off. I've waited more that 10 minutes.

It always does it after making the save file, but at other times too. Please note I don't save directly to home, but to a folder in home.

I can turn the computer off with the switch, and the file is indeed saved, but it shouldn't get stuck like that.

2. On an unrelated note, what program do I need to add to make the lives .sfs work? I do not connect to the internet on that computer. The dependency checker seems to work (?) in a weird way in Fatdog64 (yes, I also tried with the .pet).

JustGreg

#203 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Jamesbond for the information on Wine!
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

gcmartin

new users in FATDOG 611+ ...

#204 Post by gcmartin »

The post on permissions is a good one to note.

I recently got bit by this too.

This approach in FATDOG 611+ might be reconsidered as other OSes on a HDD/USB would be impacted. Please understand, though, that I am aware of much thought and consideration already in current system release.

Just a thought.

jamesbond

#205 Post by jamesbond »

mini-jaguar wrote:1. I am afraid there is a bug. I noticed it in 6.1.0 too, but now I'm sure something's not working right. When shutting down, it gets stuck on the "Spin down disks ..." line and doesn't shut off. I've waited more that 10 minutes.

It always does it after making the save file, but at other times too. Please note I don't save directly to home, but to a folder in home.

I can turn the computer off with the switch, and the file is indeed saved, but it shouldn't get stuck like that.
This can happen for a number of reasons, most likely driver conflict with your hardware. Try booting with parameter "showerr" and it should let you see what is happening when you shutdown.
2. On an unrelated note, what program do I need to add to make the lives .sfs work? I do not connect to the internet on that computer. The dependency checker seems to work (?) in a weird way in Fatdog64 (yes, I also tried with the .pet).
Yes, lives no longer work in 610 because it depends on certain libraries which got removed when we removed kino. I have re-uploaded the libraries as "lives_support", you need to install when you install lives in 610. (You need to select it manually as it is not indicated in the dependency check). For convenience, I'm also uploading lives.sfs which has all the needed libraries.
gcmartin wrote:I recently got bit by this too.
Can you tell me the details of what happened and how you managed to overcome the situation?
This approach in FATDOG 611+ might be reconsidered ...
What are your suggestions?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Anniekin

#206 Post by Anniekin »

fatdog 600 would often hang on boot or shutdown for me

i think because my netbook was running on battery then and didn't have enough juice

i am noticing occasional permission changes on my new 610 system too

i dual boot windows but don't often mount that partition

Barbol

#207 Post by Barbol »

Jamesbond, thanks for the detailed answers! I changed ACCES_MODE to 755 and UMASK_MODE to 022, and problem solved. The chgrp doesn't seems to be harmful, so I left as it was.

In a very very humble opinion, I think this permissions thing could be a serious trouble for a linux begginer (for example someone who has an ubuntu install and decides to gives fatdog a try. When he reboots he could be in front of a broken system, without elements to diagnose nor repair the damage - been there many times!! - Of course, he will never use fatdog again!). I hope this is constructive,

Barbol

Anniekin

#208 Post by Anniekin »

Barbol wrote:I think this permissions thing could be a serious trouble for a linux begginer.
it's confusing because there are 2 users spot and root active sometimes. using puppy 4.10 as linux beginner had sooo many crazy problems but i learned from them. and it didn't come with a fatdog control panel and everything in there which novice computer users are used to. the package manager didn't even have dependency checks, refresh package lists, resizeable window or make any sense!

nooby

#209 Post by nooby »

cat /etc/clock

does not work in FD64 so maybe the clock is in another place?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Terryphi

readelf

#210 Post by Terryphi »

When trying to get 32bit apps running on Fatdog64 it is useful to check whether libraries are class ELF64 or ELF32. The tool readelf will tell you. Errors occur when the 32bit app finds the 64bit library instead of the 32bit library.

Extract the attached file to /usr/bin and make it executable.

The syntax to check a file is:

readelf -h /path_to_file
Attachments
readelf.gz
(138.69 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Billtoo

Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

#211 Post by Billtoo »

I installed fatdog 611 to my acer revo with the fatdog installer.

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 1791MB (157MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [442447e63b]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 03 Jan 2013 05:25:55 PM GMT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ION/integrated/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer ION/integrated/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

Runs smoothly on this pc.

EDIT:It's been running very well for about a day now, I made a pet of
htop 1.0.2 if anyone wants it.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(104.9 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
htop-1.0.2-x86_64.pet
(47.45 KiB) Downloaded 462 times

kirk

#212 Post by kirk »

When trying to get 32bit apps running on Fatdog64 it is useful to check whether libraries are class ELF64 or ELF32. The tool readelf will tell you. Errors occur when the 32bit app finds the 64bit library instead of the 32bit library.
This is also included in the devx sfs.
cat /etc/clock

does not work in FD64 so maybe the clock is in another place?
If you're trying to get the time from a terminal, type date.

mini-jaguar

#213 Post by mini-jaguar »

jamesbond wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:1. I am afraid there is a bug. I noticed it in 6.1.0 too, but now I'm sure something's not working right. When shutting down, it gets stuck on the "Spin down disks ..." line and doesn't shut off. I've waited more that 10 minutes.

This can happen for a number of reasons, most likely driver conflict with your hardware. Try booting with parameter "showerr" and it should let you see what is happening when you shutdown.
Yes, lives no longer work in 610 because it depends on certain libraries which got removed when we removed kino. I have re-uploaded the libraries as "lives_support", you need to install when you install lives in 610. (You need to select it manually as it is not indicated in the dependency check). For convenience, I'm also uploading lives.sfs which has all the needed libraries.
I have enclosed some photos, sorry that they are kind of hard to read, it's not easy to take pics of the screen. By the way, if I make the save file directly to the partition it doesn't always bug, neither does it always bug if I load an older file, it just always bugs when I set a path for the save file when making it.

And the new lives .sfs and added libs .pet (with old .sfs) work, I didn't test the program functions, but now it runs.

WillM

Grsync

#214 Post by WillM »

This is a pet for Grsync to backup and sync directories.
Here are a couple of links that explain how to use Grsync.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/openso ... in;content

http://www.howtogeek.com/66348/how-to-s ... -easy-way/
Attachments
grsync-1.2.2-x86_64.pet
GUI for rsync
(74.65 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

JustGreg

#215 Post by JustGreg »

I am running the FireFox version of FatDog64. The menu still contains entries for Sea Monkey Compozer, Sea Monkey Mail & News and Sea Monkey web browser. However, the Sea Monkey components are not available and the entries do not work. This is not a major bug. The menu needs to be updated.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

smokey01

#216 Post by smokey01 »

I haven't used sandbox in Fatdog64-611 before today and it didn't seem to work as I expected.

I tried both sandbox.sh and rw-sandbox.sh. I selected all of the sfs as they were all selected as default.

I then ran xwin and got a new desktop.

When I mounted my home drive it displayed an empty rox window.

It wouldn't let me run seamonkey because my profile is outside of my savefile.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem with fd64-600.

Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong?

jamesbond

#217 Post by jamesbond »

mini-jaguar wrote:I have enclosed some photos, sorry that they are kind of hard to read, it's not easy to take pics of the screen
The errors before the "spinning down" are harmless. I don't see any error after "spinning down" disk, so I would suspect it can't shutdown due to incompatibility between your hardware and the kernel.
WillM wrote:This is a pet for Grsync to backup and sync directories.
Thank you.
JustGreg wrote:I am running the FireFox version of FatDog64. The menu still contains entries for Sea Monkey Compozer, Sea Monkey Mail & News and Sea Monkey web browser. However, the Sea Monkey components are not available and the entries do not work. This is not a major bug. The menu needs to be updated.
Yes, this is a known problem in 611
I haven't used sandbox in Fatdog64-611 before today and it didn't seem to work as I expected.
I tried both sandbox.sh and rw-sandbox.sh. I selected all of the sfs as they were all selected as default.
No, you have done everything right. It works as expected. By default, when the sandbox starts, only the SFS-es and savefile are accessible. Any external partitions, including the home partition (where the savefile is located) is NOT accessible. This is because only those parts are protected by the layered filesystem.

The purpose of sandbox is to allow "safe testing" - any changes you make inside the sandbox should not propagate into the real world and break your system (at least, not permanently). Any changes inside sandbox will be discarded (or undone) as soon as you exit the sandbox. External partitions are not protected by the layered filesystem, thus if they were mounted, changes to them *cannot* be undone. Hence, existing partition mounts are not carried over into sandbox.

Of course, within the sandbox-xwin, you can also mount currently-unmounted partitions yourself - nothing is stopping you doing that. There is also a way to bring mounted partitions into sandbox (mount -o bind --- see the sandbox code of how I bring the system's /tmp directory into sandbox's tmp). But you'd better beware that changes to them *cannot* be undone.

This is the first time ever I have heard comments about the sandbox :)

jamesbond

#218 Post by jamesbond »

Barbol wrote:In a very very humble opinion, I think this permissions thing could be a serious trouble for a linux begginer (for example someone who has an ubuntu install and decides to gives fatdog a try. When he reboots he could be in front of a broken system, without elements to diagnose nor repair the damage - been there many times!! - Of course, he will never use fatdog again!). I hope this is constructive,
It is a trade-off between security and usability. Anyway, in the next version of Fatdog, I have added an option to Fatdog Event Manager to enable this ("allow read-only access for all other users - for compatibility with other distros e.g Ubuntu"). All you need to do is to tick the checkbox, no need to manually edit /etc/eventmanager.
On another note, I'm really surprised if you tell me that Ubuntu will fail to boot because of this :shock: (I haven't used Ubuntu for years now).

smokey01

#219 Post by smokey01 »

smokey01 wrote:I haven't used sandbox in Fatdog64-611 before today and it didn't seem to work as I expected.
jamesbond wrote:No, you have done everything right. It works as expected. By default, when the sandbox starts, only the SFS-es and savefile are accessible. Any external partitions, including the home partition (where the savefile is located) is NOT accessible. This is because only those parts are protected by the layered filesystem.

The purpose of sandbox is to allow "safe testing" - any changes you make inside the sandbox should not propagate into the real world and break your system (at least, not permanently). Any changes inside sandbox will be discarded (or undone) as soon as you exit the sandbox. External partitions are not protected by the layered filesystem, thus if they were mounted, changes to them *cannot* be undone. Hence, existing partition mounts are not carried over into sandbox.

Of course, within the sandbox-xwin, you can also mount currently-unmounted partitions yourself - nothing is stopping you doing that. There is also a way to bring mounted partitions into sandbox (mount -o bind --- see the sandbox code of how I bring the system's /tmp directory into sandbox's tmp). But you'd better beware that changes to them *cannot* be undone.

This is the first time ever I have heard comments about the sandbox :)
How do I do any testing if I can't get the pet file I want to test inside the sandbox. Seamonkey won't let me download it as it doesn't work.
I even tried gFTP and it wouldn't connect.

When I went back and tried FD-600 I could see all of the contents of the /root directory. this means I can simply put the pet file in root then run sandbox and it will be seen. This is not the case with 611. In 611 you only see the pristine /root.

I understand the sandbox needs to be isolated from the outside world to protect it's integrity but how is it possible to test anything if we can't include apps form the outside world.

Does everything in the temp layer get destroyed in both sandbox.sh and rw-sandbox.sh?

Thanks

smokey01

#220 Post by smokey01 »

A very nice little Database.