A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#181 Post by nooby »

Thanks to both of you.
smokey thanks for the link to that pdf and for hosting all the files at
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-600/

I will look through them and decide on if I maybe need
use Geeqie because I am used to it and the one default
is too new to me. I fail to do full screen on that one.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

LateAdopter

Avidemux GUI freeze

#182 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk & jamesbond

When I try to use Avidemux the GUI locks up by simply opening a file, TS or AVI, selecting PLAY and, after it starts playing, selecting STOP.

If I run avidemux3_qt4 from a terminal, there is an error during loading:

libQtScript.so.4 no such file or directory. Could this cause a problem?

There are no errors shown in the terminal when I select STOP.

If I open the file and just use the navigation controls, they seem to work normally.

Do you get this problem, or is it just me?

Thanks.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

#183 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running from a multi-session DVD+RW.
Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16395MB (208MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [442447e63b]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sun 30 Dec 2012 02:08:40 PM GMT
Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVC8
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Monitors
Monitor 0 1920x1080 pixels
Monitor 1 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVC8
Version 2.1 Mesa 9.0
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller RaLink Device 3090

I used the Display Properties utility in the Desktop section of the control
panel to set up for 2 monitors.
It's working well so far.
Running nexuiz wrecked my Display Properties but it was an easy fix, I
think I'll install the nvidia pet in the package manager though.
I did:
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(36.4 KiB) Downloaded 765 times

jamesbond

Re: Avidemux GUI freeze

#184 Post by jamesbond »

LateAdopter wrote:When I try to use Avidemux the GUI locks up by simply opening a file, TS or AVI, selecting PLAY and, after it starts playing, selecting STOP.
Do you get this problem, or is it just me?
I've got this problem too. Choose Edit - Preferences, change the Audio Device from whatever you have to "Oss" (first choice, never crash on me), or if you are lucky "AlsaHw0" (still crash but less often). Don't use AlsaDmix. See if you can avoid the crash this way.

Billtoo, thanks for the report.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

LateAdopter

#185 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello jamesbond

Yes Oss seems OK on a quick check. I had changed the audio from dummy to ALSA default.

I notice that closing the window, when a video is playing, by clicking X, does close the window but does not stop the video playing.

Not very serious. Maybe the inability to load libADM_script_qt.so due to the missing dependency does matter.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-611 Final (Updated 12-14-2012)

#186 Post by Billtoo »

I did an install to a 64gb flash drive with the fatdog installer.
Running on an hp desktop pc,
I start it with: savefile=ram:device:sdf1 waitdev=8
I tried it with:savefile=direct:device:sdf1 waitdev=8 but that didn't
work well at all, always waiting for apps to load etc.
Anyways, this is working well.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(53.06 KiB) Downloaded 636 times

nooby

#187 Post by nooby »

I used this one savefile=none as was recommended :)
but you maybe wanted to reuse a savefile you had
from the HD?

May I ask
What is the name for the program that create the analog Clock
and what is under it up to the right? Is that one built in maybe
only me not knowing about it?

mdisaster2

#188 Post by mdisaster2 »

Just installed Fatdog 611 under Virtualbox 2.4.6. Bottom line, Fatdog it is downright awesome 8)

In the virtual machine I set up (2 cores, 1024 Mb RAM) Fatdog works great, it is lightning fast, and on top of that mouse support under Virtualbox is downright perfect - actually I had full seamless mouse integration working out of the box, without even installing the Virtualbox Guest Additions.
(this is the case with some other distros but not with other Puppies, whose mouse is more or less broken under virtualbox, see for example the latest Distrowatch review of Slacko).

I did notice a slight problem with timezone setting though. Normally I set up my virtuals machine to use UTC time, then I set the correct timezone (Europe/Rome)in the guest system at install time, and that is all I have to do to see the correct time in the systray icon.

However in Fatdog I get the wrong time (GMT instead of GMT+1). I did go in the "Set date and time applet" and set the correct time, but I noticed it told me that I am on CET Time (which is not the case), and unless I messed something then at next reboot the time was wrong again. Even disabling NNTP doesn't seem to help. Did I miss whatever setting tells Fatdog that the hardware clock is set to UTC ?

Other questions, probably specific to the virtualbox environment.
- on boot I get a message about eth0 not being configured - skipping, however networking works fine.
- is WpaGUI for wireless only ? I thought so, but when I disabled the WpaGUI service and rebooted I lost ethernet connectivity as well.
- I am downloading the devx sfs to see if I can compile the Guest Additions (it seems a pity not to have the GA since Fatdog works so well in VB - later I'll report on my results). Are the kernel sources included in the sfs or do I need a separate download ?

Not virtualbox related:
- I could use an applet to set time from a Internet server (or is NNPT supposed to do the job ? )
- the SFS manager is great, but I really wish the interface was select-then-click, like the one of the Package manager.

jamesbond

#189 Post by jamesbond »

nooby wrote:I used this one savefile=none as was recommended :)
but you maybe wanted to reuse a savefile you had
from the HD?
savefile=none is identical to pfix=ram. There are other options to point to the savefile on the harddisk.
May I ask
What is the name for the program that create the analog Clock
and what is under it up to the right? Is that one built in maybe
only me not knowing about it?
Not sure what you mean? Are you referring to this? http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 675#674675
Just installed Fatdog 611 under Virtualbox 2.4.6. Bottom line, Fatdog it is downright awesome
Thank you. Glad that you like it.
... Normally I set up my virtuals machine to use UTC time .... Did I miss whatever setting tells Fatdog that the hardware clock is set to UTC ?
Don't. Fatdog assumes hardware clock is set to localtime. There is no option to use UTC.
- on boot I get a message about eth0 not being configured - skipping, however networking works fine.
There are two network managers in Fatdog, "WpaGui" and "Network Wizard". That message comes from Network Wizard (because you haven't use it to configure eth0) and is harmless.
- is WpaGUI for wireless only ? I thought so, but when I disabled the WpaGUI service and rebooted I lost ethernet connectivity as well.
WpaGui is used for two things:
- wireless (as you guess)
- turning on DHCP on eth0 if eth0 is not managed (=configured) by Network Wizard.
You can turn off WpaGui if you only use eth0 but make sure that you use Network Wizard to configure eth0.
- I am downloading the devx sfs to see if I can compile the Guest Additions (it seems a pity not to have the GA since Fatdog works so well in VB - later I'll report on my results). Are the kernel sources included in the sfs or do I need a separate download ?
VB is updated often and it also depends on kernel version, so it's hard to maintain. Kernel sources is included in devx. By the way, where I come from, Fatdog is also used as the VM server (ie, the OS that runs VB).
- I could use an applet to set time from a Internet server (or is NNPT supposed to do the job ? )
the ntpd-client service should do the job, but in 611 there is a bug that the time set by ntpd-client is not saved to the hardware clock. So you need to ensure that the service is enabled so that it will run at every boot (or you can set the hardware clock once it has done its job). But it does not matter if you run it in VB anyway.
- the SFS manager is great, but I really wish the interface was select-then-click, like the one of the Package manager.
My wish too :wink: May when I have time to update it.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nooby

#190 Post by nooby »

Sorry I should refer to the post by Billtoo and his picture
which has a clock and some other things below it
a bit like the widget thing in Lupu? Okay I reboot and
have a look at it. thanks

I am in FD now but failed to get that clock going.
Does one have to use the terminal to activate it?

nooby

#191 Post by nooby »

sorry me ask so much. When I am in the FD64 control panel
it force me to double click. Can I change that to single click please

How do I change that?

Billtoo

#192 Post by Billtoo »

nooby wrote:Sorry I should refer to the post by Billtoo and his picture
which has a clock and some other things below it
a bit like the widget thing in Lupu? Okay I reboot and
have a look at it. thanks

I am in FD now but failed to get that clock going.
Does one have to use the terminal to activate it?
That's the pwidgets program by zigbert.

nooby

#193 Post by nooby »

Thanks I use a similar on Lupu so I thought it looked familar
butdid not guess it would work on FD64? But I test that now then.
Thanks indeed

smokey01

#194 Post by smokey01 »

nooby wrote:sorry me ask so much. When I am in the FD64 control panel
it force me to double click. Can I change that to single click please

How do I change that?
I don't think you can change it to a single click but you can use the space bar to enable and disable the check box once the line is selected.

nooby

#195 Post by nooby »

Thanks Smokey,

i feared the worse, us having problem with being not fast
enough on the fingers are too few to make our wishes known :)
can one not change it even in some conf fig file setting?
Seems odd that somebody force all of us into double click when there
are no good reason for it?

to make it less confusing. Rox is set to single click I talk about the
FatDog Control thing.

another annoying thing is that when I finally have the times correct
at Lupu and have set all the dials correct and then boot into FD64
and set it's time correct and then boot back into Lupu then Lupu clock
is one hour wrong again.

So it can be my fault failing to set the BIOS clock right
and setting the Lupu clock right and setting the FD64 clock right
so many options that can go wrong.

Is there some way in Lupu and FD64 to find out what the BIOS clock is
so I can know if either of these OS change the BIOS at reboot?

smokey01

#196 Post by smokey01 »

nooby wrote:Thanks Smokey,

i feared the worse, us having problem with being not fast
enough on the fingers are too few to make our wishes known :)
can one not change it even in some conf fig file setting?
Seems odd that somebody force all of us into double click when there
are no good reason for it?
Ah, but there is a very good reason for it. Most other Puppies automatically install the application as soon as you click on your selection which can also be an unwanted action. I bet you have accidentally done this too.

It's easy enough to scroll up and down the list with the cursor keys and select with the space bar or Enter Key.

Many people don't like some of the differences in Fatdog but they are all there for a good reason. A lot of thought has gone into Fatdogs development. Differences are not all bad. If they were we would still be using the abacus.

Enjoy.

mdisaster2

How to install the Guest Additions in Fatdog64

#197 Post by mdisaster2 »

Ok, I compiled the Virtualbox Guest Additions and they seem seem to work nicely. Now my virtual Fatdog has shared folders, shared clipboard, 3d accelerated video and all the bells and whistles :)

However just choosing "Install Guest Addition" from the virtualbox pulldown does not do anything useful. Here is how I did:

To compile the GA in Fatdog:

1) download and enable the devx sfs,

2) "load" the Guest Additions iso image that comes with Virtualbox in the emulated cd reader of the guest virtual machine,

3) open the console and execute these commands:

Code: Select all

# make -C /usr/src/linux oldconfig prepare scripts
# mkdir /var/run/vboxadd
# adduser -S -G daemon -u 999 -h /var/run/vboxadd vboxadd
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
# /mnt/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
# umount /mnt/cdrom
# sync 
Ignore the error message at the end of the compiling step saying that virtualbox services can't be installed or started (same as in Slako).
The services are installed just fine, you just need to put the command VBoxClient-all in .xinitrc or somewhere else where it gets executed at startup.

After the next reboot you should be able to use all the features that you enabled in the virtual machine settings, and System Information now should show VBOX0 as the display name. However in order to change the screen resolution you'll need to use xrandr to define a new modeline - there may well be an easier way (possibly involving xorgwizard), but I haven't figured it out yet.

Have fun 8)

JustGreg

#198 Post by JustGreg »

I tried to use the Wine sfs (wine-1.5.4-i486.sfs) with Fatdog64 611. It did not work after being loaded. Using the console, I got this error for winecfg: Line 29 /usr/bin/winecfg not found. However, Pfind does find winecfg in/usr/bin. I downloaded the sfs wine file from the ibiblio 600 directory. Am I using the wrong version? Thanks for the help on this.

In general, Fatdog64 works well on my Acer Aspire Revo.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

jamesbond

#199 Post by jamesbond »

nooby, the control panel can be navigated with Tab and cursor keys too. Items can be launched by pressing Enter key. You only need to use the mouse to close it (click the "x" button) - and that's single-click :wink:

mdisaster2, thank you for the step-by-step guide. I know I will be keeping your notes for later needs. PS: the "install guest addition" won't work because Fatdog does not auto-launch anything (and for good reason).

JustGreg, wine is 32-bit application. In fact it is the one created by our own green_dome :) So you also need to load the 32-bit compatibility SFS for it to run.

cheers!

Barbol

#200 Post by Barbol »

Hi! I'm having difficulties when mounting linux partitions in fatdog. I have a disk with many partitions, some of them containing another OS. Everytime I mount one of them, fatdog changes the permissions of the root directory in that partition to 770. It makes me broke two ubuntu based systems until I realize what was happening. Fortunately, once discovered the cause, the solution was easy, just restoring the permissions. Now I'm doing a chmod before unmounting, but that's not comfortable.. What could be happening and how is it fixable?
Another annoying thing occurs when running gparted. It tooks the drive icons, passes through a blender and throw them in aleatory order on the desktop. Never noticed that behavior by gparted before..
nooby, the control panel can be navigated with Tab and cursor keys too. Items can be launched by pressing Enter key.
Nice tip! I don't like double clicking too :D

Great 2013 evereyone!!! Barbol