Woof Arch Revisited

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeslr

Woof Arch Revisited

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Happy New Year!
About two years ago, I recommended that efforts be made to “Woof Arch.
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 04 Jan 2013, 14:30, edited 3 times in total.

slenkar

#2 Post by slenkar »

;TLDR

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

Happy New Year! What I brilliant postand summary of a year in Puppy! I'm can now see the benefits of an archpup ; -)

there is a pacman gui, it seemed quite big when I went to install it. though someone mentioned it was lightweight 8)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pacmanxg4-bin/

Hotdog

#4 Post by Hotdog »

Mikesir has made some interesting observations. Although realizing that Puppy began as a developers' adventure, for some of us it has become the OS of choice. It is fun to tinker with Puppy but most of the time I just use it for everything that I want the computer to do for me. I have a full HD install of Puppy 5.2.8 on two desktops and a laptop. I keep a few live CDs of 5.2.8 around and give them to anyone who will take them. A few folks have even let me install Puppy for them. It is a good OS for first-time computer users. That should be heart-warming sentiments to any developer.

What I am doing with Puppy Linux is not what the original developer and subsequent developers had in mind. I understand that and with respect and admiration I thank them for their fine work. But, Puppy has achieved a maturity and a following which makes it a 'distro', intended or not. The number and quality of users on this forum attests to that. I came from a few years of using Fedora then a few more of CentOS. After discovering Puppy 5.1.1 then 5.2.8 I have been confident and satisfied enough to not even try anything else.

There may not be any among us who would like the responsibilities that are required of an official distribution. And, the good thing is that it is not necessary. We can still be an experimenter/developer community--that is good. Is there any real distribution which can boast as many offspring as the litter of Puppies found here? But there is merit in adopting a distro-like attitude in an area or two, most notably package management. Shucks, forget the word "distro-like" and call it standardization or some other likable term.

Allow me to choose one example from 5.2.8, Shinobar's contribution of SFS Load-on-the-fly. I use this a lot and it is flawless. A few days ago I was searching the forum for info on how it worked, particularly the unload function. A post that I read said to type "sfs_load --help" to learn more. Here is what I got:
usage: sfs_load [--unload] [--cli] [+/-][EXTRA_SFS_FILE]
Load or unload extra sfs files on-the-fly.
Wow, hope I can remember all that! It turns out that I have version 1.1, stable is now 1.4 and dev is 1.9.6. It would be good to have a relatively simple and intuitive way to update SFS Load-on-the-fly. I know how to do it but it could be done a little more "distro-like". It would certainly enhance my advocacy of Puppy. I already love this little dog and I want others to love it, too.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]