'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

package chooser

#181 Post by rg66 »

With elroy's help, I've edited the package chooser script to ask if you want to update the package list or not before opening the package manager. Save time and bandwidth.

See the original post here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 665#673665
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

dennis-slacko531

#182 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Briefly, I can't get any music playing. Dnld all the gstreamer pets I could find. I recall in another Linux, I dnld gstreamer-utilities and that fixed things. Well, all I can offer you guys is to maybe save all your 'lina pets in a folder so not to repeatedly dnld them (when reinstalling, as I've done often).

To summarize, In Multimedia I have Clementine, Parole, Musique, Goggles, and Mp3splt-gtk...and the default audio-mixer. I guess the good news is I finally got my older brother to look into Puppy (only took a year).

An exact message from Parole when I drop an mp3 file:
Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.

sheldonisaac

#183 Post by sheldonisaac »

dennis-slacko531 wrote:Briefly, I can't get any music playing. Dnld all the gstreamer pets I could find. I recall in another Linux, I dnld gstreamer-utilities and that fixed things. Well, all I can offer you guys is to maybe save all your 'lina pets in a folder so not to repeatedly dnld them (when reinstalling, as I've done often).

To summarize, In Multimedia I have Clementine, Parole, Musique, Goggles, and Mp3splt-gtk...and the default audio-mixer. I guess the good news is I finally got my older brother to look into Puppy (only took a year).

An exact message from Parole when I drop an mp3 file:
Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
I don't have the Clementine, etc etc.
But do have Pmusic.
Had downloaded (& stored in /sda2/sources/ ) streamripper-1.64.6 and other stuff like ffmpeg etc

( just found Elroy's post of Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:06 Post_subject: Re: 'lina-lite - version 002
Sub_title: Help with pmusic)

Marv

simple and small music

#184 Post by Marv »

Marv wrote: Edited 12/28/2012: Carrying on with the sfs rolling while building out the Dell D610 for a new home. Amazingly, using pmusic ( I used v3.07), ogle, ffmpeg, streamripper and lame ( I don't always carry it in the base) it gives quite a solid cd/dvd/streaming audio with playlists package. ... for 2.7Mb.

Just for reference I did run the full Carolina on this machine, it is my sole Dothan pentium M, and I'd say it's a bit much for this class machine. Some fairly random lockups and behavior I just don't see with 'lina on them. Not software related IMHO, just pushing the old dears to hard. 'lina, even with a 30Mbish officestuff + opera + pidgin sfs and the small music sfs on board just flies right along. One size doesn't fit all, but two seem to.

Cheers,
The pmusic solution probably doesn't fit everyone, but really works quite well for streaming audio and cds, is small, handles playlists, and doesn't suffer from dependency hell. It's also being very actively maintained and improved. I'm using it on my 'linas for older dears' builds now.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bark_bark_bark

#185 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Wow, I like this 'lina-lite. I mean wow it's very cool. I might use this as a base for a complete system recovery puppy. (would like to see mac filesystem support though.)

Although the interface is like 100% bland, it's very very nice puppy to have. and it's great to have in my collection.

This puppy is very amazing and hope you can still continue work on it.

(the interface being bland doesn't matter to me, this is still amazing.)

EDIT: I am going to use this for testing of my packages here and there.

EDIT2: As I noted in my thread of my Puppy .pet repo, when I install firefox on 'lina-lite I see that there are some libraries missing. Luckly it does not effect the operation of firefox at all if they aren't there.

sheldonisaac

#186 Post by sheldonisaac »

deleted see next one.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

#187 Post by sheldonisaac »

(portions snipped)
bark_bark_bark wrote:Wow, I like this 'lina-lite.
Although the interface is like 100% bland
I too like 'lina-lite.
You want to see bland?
I will boot 'lina-lite and try to paste a screen-shot.
Attachments
my-lina-lite.png
(10.3 KiB) Downloaded 1287 times

bark_bark_bark

#188 Post by bark_bark_bark »

:shock:

I tested my updated firefox pkg and it works (with same libs missing). I still have no internet connection though. My netbook's wifi isn't recognized. I can use the ethernet on my netbook, but I have to get a really long cord for that.

I don't know what module it's lacking. I know it's Broadcom though, but none of those modules recognized it.

elroy

#189 Post by elroy »

bark_bark_bark wrote::shock:

I tested my updated firefox pkg and it works (with same libs missing). I still have no internet connection though. My netbook's wifi isn't recognized. I can use the ethernet on my netbook, but I have to get a really long cord for that.

I don't know what module it's lacking. I know it's Broadcom though, but none of those modules recognized it.
There's a pet in the repo for Broadcom - try this and see if it helps - http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... rolina.pet

peebee

#190 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote::shock:

There's a pet in the repo for Broadcom - try this and see if it helps - http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... rolina.pet
That pet won't work on the 3.2.13-c kernel....

See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 95&start=8 for a more recent solution.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Montchalin

#191 Post by Montchalin »

I have a frugal install of Lina-lite 0.0.5 non-PAE.

When I reboot, it seems fast until "Requesting IP for Eth0" at which point there is lots of hard drive activity and the mouse 'freezes' or becomes jittery.

Once the hard drive calms down, the mouse becomes normal. And there is the 'non' symbol over the frisbee status icon. However, the intenet works just fine.

This is what I have loaded:
clarf_pnethood-0.6.8.1-carolina (recognizes computers on network, but does not present me with login dialogue box)

jpilot-1.8.1-i486

midori-0.4.6-i486 (I have the icon in the internet menu, but nothing happens when I click it)

QuiteRSS-0.12.0 (I have the icon in the internet menu, but nothing happens when I click it.)

glib-networking-2.30.1-i486

gnutls-2.8.5-i486

webkit-inspector-1,8.0

qt-4.8.0

firefox-16.0.1 (working and using!)

Any hints as to what I should try would be appreciated.

Montchalin

#192 Post by Montchalin »

OK, a fresh install:

Eth0 is down.

Execute frisbee and all is well.

Install Midori-> It works after adding qt-4.80 and geoclue-0.12-i486

Reboot takes forever... much, much longer than the initial boot.
During reboot
Mouse "freezes" and is jittery. Lots of hard drive activity.

When the "non" symbol finally covers the frisbee icon, the hard drive is at rest, the mouse works, and the internet works just fine.

Any ideas?

elroy

#193 Post by elroy »

I've added a different version of Midori to the repo, midori-0.4.3-i386. This is a non-static build that seems to be a bit more stable than the statically compiled midori-0.4.6 version also in the repo.

If you choose to install this pet it will try to install qt-webkit as a dependency. Click cancel when it asks if you'd like to install it, and instead choose webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet from the Package Manager window that pops up.

sheldonisaac

non-static Midori

#194 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote:I've added a different version of Midori to the repo, midori-0.4.3-i386. This is a non-static build that seems to be a bit more stable than the statically compiled midori-0.4.6 version also in the repo.

If you choose to install this pet it will try to install qt-webkit as a dependency. Click cancel when it asks if you'd like to install it, and instead choose webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet from the Package Manager window that pops up.
Thanks, Elroy. I've used Opera almost exclusively for many years, but will try the Midori on another computer, which has more room for files.

Montchalin

#195 Post by Montchalin »

I solved the slow boot problem (8 minutes) by switching to etho1. It only takes about 2:30 from the isolinux splash to acquiring the internet.

I will revisit etho0 someday.
elroy wrote:I've added a different version of Midori to the repo, midori-0.4.3-i386. This is a non-static build that seems to be a bit more stable than the statically compiled midori-0.4.6 version also in the repo.

Thanks Elroy, for the non-static Midori build. I installed it and it worked great for as long as I tested it.

When I rebooted, it could no longer resolve web addresses.

etc/resolv.conf read:
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
#/etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

and

etc/ppp/resolv.conf had the same text:
# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
#/etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

Sometimes I use Wary 5.93. But Carolina 002 non-pae is still my daily operating system.

I wonder if the writing is on the wall - that I should get a new machine that can deal with pae?

jacatone

#196 Post by jacatone »

Does anyone know if this is the latest version of lina-lite and does it use the XFCE desktop environment? Thanks.

rg66

#197 Post by rg66 »

Yes, this is the latest version of lina-lite and it uses XFCE-4.10 desktop.

don570

#198 Post by don570 »

audacity audio editor 1.3.12 static works with wav ogg mp3 files
on lina-lite without the need to add more software.

sszindian

Testing Lina Lite

#199 Post by sszindian »

Finally getting around to testing Lina Lite!

I first must say... 'it is a very impressive and fast Puppy.'

Although a barebones distro, it was easy enough to install all the needed programs from the package manager (some from elswhere) to get things going the way I want them.

Now...firefox ERS 17.0.6 that comes with Lina-05... very clear and displays graphics and text really nice, it has some short-comings... r/h Slider Bar sometimes refuses to move the page although the mouse wheel overrides that. Page changes to another by itself at times, haven't found a cure for that, maybe firefox-20 or 21 regular build would be a better choice? Installed Seamonkey-17 from the package manager and that works nice with NO problems.

Slideshow-01 (an oldie but goodie) from the Puppy Forum installs and runs very nice in Lina (changed to look at my Pictures Folder) as does my little Cloud.pet. Would be nice to see support for fd0, Jamimiah didn't see much need for it in Saluki... I believe she made a mistake,

As I've been working with Lina, the thought came to mind what a nice 'Rolling Release' this little Puppy would make... just a thought!

Keep up the good work guys you have a winner here!!!

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-1.jpg
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rg66

#200 Post by rg66 »

Unfortunately as with carolina, lite will only run up to the 17 series firefox. That's why the ESR (extended support release) was chosen, it should be maintained for at least a year.